Houzz Logo Print
brillante_design

Help me accessorize my great room!

Brillante
hace 9 años

our artist has finally completed our 8'x3' painting, and now i need to piece together this space.

i am trying to work the angles of this room, and LOVE the organic shape of the cow hide rug. (ie - i don't want to get rid of it!) what do i need to pull this space together - are the angles of the couches ok?

suggestions for what to put behind club chair? console table? vases? black/white artwork?

i will post some images of pieces i like, but would LOVE your input on whether they would be right for the space, or suggest alternatives.

thank you so much! i can't wait to finish this space. (it's been almost a YEAR!)

Comentarios (131)

• PRO
    Brillante
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

hi everyone,

thanks for chiming in!

the artist is chandrakremski.com she does commissions based out of winnipeg, canada, and will ship across the border, i'm sure.

now that i know what isn't working, i will tune in again when i've got that 4 foot mirror completed. i have a few sources i'll be tapping into on monday.

i'll also be looking into lucite pedestals - i've found a few online. i'll be placing it to the right of the middle chair/sofa (depending which way i go!)

for those of you who have suggested squaring the room off...trust me...it just doesn't look like. it looks like this cavernous room with barbie furniture. plus our noguchi is rendered useless. AND my husband's ugly subwoofer/base/whatever it's called is in that corner, and needs to stay HIDDEN!!!!

thank you all for your help with this dilemma! i can't believe how obsessed i've become with creating this space. i guess i've spent so long waiting for this art piece, i now want to make everything look just right. i value everyone's opinions. nighty-night!

• groveraxle
    hace 9 años

Don't you dare change that media cabinet to black. You have PLENTY of black. No more. Nighty night yourself, Alana.

Brillante agradeció a groveraxle
  • Conversaciones relacionadas

Foyer needing help!

Q

(3) comentarios
    Hi Cristina, your table looks very beautiful however I discourage to have such furniture at home because of the mirrors. I work as a feng shui consultant and I know that the mirrors have some kind of power and one should be very carful placing them in the house. My personal opinion is to have a mirror in the place where the mirror can´t see you while you are resting or sleeping because in long term it can have negative influence on you. The mirror was created to look at it and it shouldn´t be used extensively also because of the reflections of the light. The human eye naturally is used to see the light coming from certain directions, if it comes from the direction which is not used to the light, especially artificial one, it may effect your vision or have negative influence on your mood. I'm talking about something very subtle which sometimes may be felt after some time. Another thing is that I always encourage people to don´t use repetitive patterns in the house just simple irregular forms and calm and worm colours which make the space more cozy and more natural. If you need more help with the rest of your house please let me know. I could make a 3d visualisation of your place to shaw the layout. Best \Marcin
    ...Ver más

Pls help with floor plan design

Q

(0) comentarios
    Gm everybody, My wife and me are trying to design our new kitchen, and we are a bit concern about its location in the house. This is a DIY project, so we are looking for opinions. As you can see in the picture, we are creating the kitchen room at the left bottom side and keeping a garden at the left upper. Our first idea was to locate the kitchen close to the living door (upper in the picture) but we would like to mantain the garden. Thanks in advance for any kind of help!! Rodri
    ...Ver más

Help, to develop a project

Q

(0) comentarios
    I am a Cuban civil engineer, I live in the city of Harrisonburg, Virginia, due to the limitations of English language proficiency and the limitations to validate my degree here in the United States, I have not been able to carry out my wishes to implement a project based on a new constructive system ... The objective pursued with this project is to implement renewable ideas in the construction industry in our area and achieve visually attractive architectural structures with the ability of great personalization while achieving advantageous positions within the competitive construction market through greater productivity and cost reduction, which contributes to an increase in profits. For these reasons, I request collaboration with architects, engineers, contractors. The most efficient way to contact me is my email martinnapolez@gmail.com. thank you very much
    ...Ver más

roof top ideas

Q

(1) comentarios
    Hi Marina ! I think you have a place that offers a lot of design opportunities. First of all, you would have to see the direction of the sun to locate the places of stay and plan the vegetation. The best thing is that you use vegetation that absorbs the rain and does not need great maintenance and irrigation to minimize the work due to the access it presents. I could help you make a 3d design if you wanted to visualize ideas for your terrace, I would be happy to assist you! Greetings and good day!
    ...Ver más
  • ingridmatt
    hace 9 años

I would anchor all the furniture pieces with a neutral rug like sisal, putting all pieces partially on that rug, and put the cowhide rug on top of that and would move the other two-seater couch to where the single armchair is. A tray on the coffe table with say some books and vases with texture would be great as well as some colour in cushions for the sofas - just one pop of coour with different graphic or geometric prints in the same colour family - maybe draw one of the colours from the painting you had made.

Brillante agradeció a ingridmatt
  • carolyngarland
    hace 9 años
    I'm stubborn. Still like the idea of squaring off. Don't understand why that would make the furniture look smaller. Your painting is wonderful but is not relating to anything. It is the focal point and it is squared off but nothing else follows that first design decision. Would it fit on the angled wall with the love seat under it, maybe with a sofa table behind it. Stick with the black and white color plan with a few red accents. Keep it all very clean.
    Brillante agradeció a carolyngarland
  • PRO
    Brillante
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Ok well...here is the room "squared off" traditionally. Obviously, this calls for 1. Big rectangular area rug, 2. A set of chairs (Barcelona?) as you enter, 3. A grouping of coffee tables or a very large one.
  • PRO
    Brillante
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Grover..haha. No, won't be changing out the walnut media unit anytime.
    Are u able to photoshop the HUGE 48" mirror that Avery sourced in nyc on that small angled wall? Sculpture on pedestal to right of chair beside window (with original layout)? Painting is 36" High and my angles wall is68". Couch is ~28" high. Pretty please?
  • PRO
    gloriabartlett
    hace 9 años

Lovely artwork! I would have a sofa table behind the large sofa, or lots of tall plants. There is too much negative space behind. Then I would add a beautiful shag for texture (cream) . Need a side table between the chairs, and the good news about this type of artwork is it can be hung in the opposite way creating drama, accentuating the room height as well as allowing you to balance the art with the current set up. The artwork is not placed to it's best advantage currently, and is off somewhat.

You also need an arched floor lamp. Your selection of accessories, cushions should be inspired by the colours in your artwork. Choose 2 of the colours, great room!

Brillante agradeció a gloriabartlett
  • springcath
    hace 9 años
    "Squared off" looks too traditional and boring. I like the vibe of the former placement and how it makes the artwork more of a statement piece. Looking forward to Grover's mockup with the large mirror. Keep accessories minimal. Awesome room!
    Brillante agradeció a springcath
  • PRO
    gloriabartlett
    hace 9 años

I based comments on the angled set up, Not the squared off...to ordinary squared is not the way to go with these elements.

Brillante agradeció a gloriabartlett
  • PRO
    Brillante
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @grover - i also LOVE the teak pedestal you found. i found a local place that can have them made to measure (the urban barn one is too short). is it weird to do teak sculpture on top of teak pedestal?? also - i feel the need to post a better pic of the teak sculpture because it looks like a big starfish in the pics lol
  • carolyngarland
    hace 9 años
    I seem to be getting out voted. Such is life. Thank you for indulging me. But... If you pull the sofa forward a bit and place a sofa table behind it (not a traditional one) with just a few clean pieces on it. Move the love seat across from the windows in front of the pillars , (in front of the windows all the weight is on one side) angle the chair rightish of the windows, but pulled in a bit. Leave the view of the angled wall, with the sculpture open. This should become a cozy enough space ( same as angled, just squared) to use your rug and table. Then use simple white pillows (not to big or busy) with one accent color pulled from your painting. Or not!
  • carolyngarland
    hace 9 años
    Maybe the love seat under art. Red or teal accents.
  • PRO
    JML Interior Design
    hace 9 años

ok-maybe that'a not quite the vision I had with "squared off" -dont want to walk straight into space-need something seperating the area such as putting another sofa opposite the the one on backside of room with a sofa table behind it or something like that-chair on angle does not feel quite right-it looks like furniture is set up in a line wrapping from one wall to the next-just my thoughts-hopefully this has not become too overwhelming

• groveraxle
    hace 9 años

Alana, the only 48" mirror I found from Avery is a square one, so that's the one I did. I also found some 48" rounds for you to look at, as well.

• PRO
    Brillante
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

wow thanks grover! {great big virtual hugs} that helps so much to confirm my idea of big mirror (even bigger than pictured)! this is the one, for the record.

FURNITURE | LEATHER ROUND MIRROR | BDDW · Más información

i took some photos with my "good" camera. helps to see the light a bit better. the man at the furniture store wanted me to buy this lamp for the corner:

Taylor Floor Lamp by Light & Living | 8164201 · Más información

what do you think?? it's 59" high.

thank you again, everyone for taking the time to help me with my stubborn "angular" dilemma!

• groveraxle
    hace 9 años

I think the room is looking great, and I love the angled arrangement. It's unexpected and perfect, IMO.

I thought that leather mirror was the $9000 one you weren't going to buy.

• PRO
    Brillante
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

thank you, i agree. good things happen on this forum. that IS the $9K mirror, but i'm going to have a local artist/sculptor make one with a mirror i'm having cut to 48" round. he will give me the "friends" discount. (prob. ~500) (:

loving the layout, and it brings a smile to my eye when i walk in.

• Avery
    hace 9 años

Alana, lucky you with having a connection for a reproduction of the NYC mirror. I can already tell it's going to look great just by seeing Grover's mock-ups (with different 48" mirrors). When will the mirror be "home"? Can't wait to see it!

Brillante agradeció a Avery
  • Avery
    hace 9 años

PS like the angled layout better too especially since YOU love it! That's what the design if your room should be all about....

Brillante agradeció a Avery
  • happyleg
    hace 9 años

I like the stump table & coral pillow.

Brillante agradeció a happyleg
  • drdeb1234
    hace 9 años

I've been following this dilemma, and you have a beautiful room and great taste!

My only thought is that, in the recent pictures with the teal cushions and the coloured glass vases, the overall look is a teeny bit matchy-matchy, and I think, not really worthy of the room. I think it looked better with the subdued pillows, or would with other, less matching ones.

Brillante agradeció a drdeb1234
  • PRO
    Brillante
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

good morning! thanks y'all. avery - the mirror will be "home" hopefully within 4-6 weeks.

i agree deb- too matchy-matchy. {can you tell i'm a type-a?) will be returning one mohair in favor of something coral. or maybe with pattern?

Pillows - Pillows + Throws · Más información

• PRO
    Brillante
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

any thoughts on that taylor photographer's lamp? or is it nice to keep that negative space behind the couch?

i wonder if it may be too much?

Taylor Floor Lamp by Light & Living | 8164201 · Más información

• PRO
    Brillante
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

well...phase 2 completed!

this has been a long + exhilarating journey. i'm so happy to see it nearing completion! the photos don't do the room justice - it washes everything out - but you get the gist. i can post some more in the daylight.

we're just waiting for our baseboards and trim. (we're doing a flat stock sprayed baseboard (same colour as walls) and maple trim around windows/doors - i like the warmth of some wood).

we chose BM dune white with some punches of BM golden harvest (orange behind tv, and hallway mirror wall), as well as BM black.

our flooring is 8" wide hakwood european white ash. it's whitewashed matte and i LOVE it - mostly because it hides all the messes our girls make!!)

avery - the 48" diameter mirror you sourced is truly what makes this room. (aside from our modern art piece). i am so happy with the finished product.

i ended up finding a NUEVO stainless pedestal for the teak root sculpture that i think works well.i am so happy with our home, and i feel like it's truly a reflection of me (and my husband...ok not so much him)...and i think i can live with the arched windows (:

would love to hear your feedback!

BEFORE:

AFTER: (casings + baseboards still to come!)

• drdeb1234
    hace 8 años

Looks amazing!!!!

Thanks for sharing!

• happyleg
    hace 8 años

Beautiful!

• sbuchs
    hace 8 años
    Stunning. Great job!!!
    Brillante agradeció a sbuchs
  • lexi2012
    hace 8 años

Trust me to come in at the end of this forum. The room is beautiful and you did a great job. My only comment is that I feel like the fireplace is ignored although I don't really know how you would have done anything differently. Oh well, I'm must be old fashion because I always thought that furniture needed to be against walls and surround the fireplace LOL!! Enjoy your beautiful home!

Brillante agradeció a lexi2012
  • happyleg
    hace 8 años

On second look I think tv where mirror is & mirror to tv's spot. Then group furniture. But be comfortable & enjoy your home.

• PRO
    Brillante
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

@lexi - it's an awkward great room design. 3sided fireplace is what separates our kitchen eating area to great room so it's not something that can really be "worked with" - other than my inspiration to offset furniture on an angle - same as fireplace.

@happyleg - don't you think too much rectangular with the tv on that angled wall beside painting? i liked the circle mirror because it added interest and broke up the square/rectangular shapes of the room.

i still feel like it needs interest (accessory wise) and i keep thinking of @drdeb's comment re: matchy matchy. when i'm in the room, i feel like it works but when i see photos - i can see exactly what you mean!

i'm thinking of these for extra seating (kids) and/or footrest and possible side table use 2 of these (opposite loveseat - on other side of coffee table):

155060 - Fossil · Más información

what are you thoughts? any other accessories for the floor / media unit / fireplace??

• poshky
    hace 8 años
    Your house is gorgeous! I love everything about it!!! The painting, the mirror, rug, furniture, I could go on and on. I hope to get some awesome help like this when I get to pick out furniture. They are laying flooring now:). Would you mind sharing the dimensions of the living room? It just looks so big and open.
    Brillante agradeció a poshky
  • PRO
    Brillante
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

thank you so much. what kind of flooring are you doing? it was a year-long decision for us, but i'm so happy with it now. our great room is 19'x17', plus the 5 foot wide hallway that "melts" into this space. it's a really tricky room to work with as when you walk into the home, you are immediately met with 4 columns that separate the hallway from this space. i couldn't do a typical arrangement of furniture as that would mean turning a sofa back or chairs to the entrance. = not zen. i think the angled works, but my husband is not convinced. i think i need a larger area rug to anchor the space but not sure what colours or how plain it should be? (i still really like my cowhide too.) good luck with your flooring!

• poshky
    hace 8 años
    Thanks so much for replying! That's a great size room. Mine is large also, (21x28) so I'm going to have trouble arranging it:/. We went with porcelain tile that looks like wood. We have three dogs, so that seemed to be the best choice for us.
    Brillante agradeció a poshky
  • happyleg
    hace 8 años

The mirror reflects the tv, but as long your happy.

• PRO
    Brillante
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

i'm still on the continuous hunt for accessories for this space. i picked up this teak root ball stool which i *think* i love...but before i committed to buying its mate, i took the one home to see it in the space. they will "close off" the conversation space - providing two extra pods for seating around the coffee table, or extra end tables, or kids' seating etc. what do you think? (note the teak root sculpture in the background)

a close-up: (more shiny than mine)

• Tems
    hace 8 años

What a cool space!

I have to say though, I don't think the round mirror works in the space at all and kind of negates the artwork.

As far as the stools I like the organic look but would prefer more toned down teak stools as the sculpture is enough of that style.

Brillante agradeció a Tems
  • happyleg
    hace 8 años

It's feeling cozier.

• PRO
    Brillante
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

ok. a few more additions. liking the additions of colour. i know tems said too much teak, but i really love the stools. may move the sculpture (starfish looking one) down to lower level.

the black + white fabric is covering a bolster cushion - thinking of using this marimekko fabric to do two smaller cushions as well.

what are your thoughts?

• drdeb1234
    hace 8 años
    I'm not loving it. The vignette on the coffee table with the brightly coloured pillows behind it just reads as too busy for me.
  • drdeb1234
    hace 8 años
    And I want to remind you as I say that, that I am, on the whole, a big fan of this space!!!!
  • avery2pt0
    hace 8 años

Hi Alaina, first must say that it's so good to hear from you and see your updates! Your new mirror turned out beautifully....wow! Reminds me so much of that BDDW mirror....which btw, I'm still coveting til this day, lol.

Your art is stunning too. Please remind me....is it an original? If so, who's the artist? I'm relatively new to the original art world and discovering what I love in regards to works and artists has been a regular pasttime for me lately.

With the new colors and accents you've brought in, I'm sensing that your tastes/style preferences has evolved a bit. Or maybe I'm just not recalling the earlier discussions clearly?

Anyway, overall, I actually like the way the colors have livened up the space a notch. Not that the space even needed it....considering the bold and beautiful piece of art is already had.

Although I'm usually with Tems on most things, I do agree with you re: the stools. I ❤️ love the stools!

Not 100% sure about the starfish....though I do like that sculpture itself. But, like you, not sure it works where it is now. That may be (for me anyway) bringing it over the "too much teak" threshold.

I also agree with DrDeb in regards to the table vignette reading too busy, particularly with the colorful pillows in the background. Maybe it's the pink agate that's throwing it off for me? That, along with the pink books almost feels too "glam"? I see your space more as soft contemporary (mixed with artistic and warm organic modern touches) vs. anything glam....if that makes any sense....

Overall though this space and your project is still one of my faves here on Houzz. Thank you for taking me along for the ride. It's been so fun and got to learn a lot from you and others here.

Brillante agradeció a avery2pt0
  • avery2pt0
    hace 8 años

PS I like the marimekko fabric a LOT! :-)

• PRO
    Brillante
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Ok folks. Thank you for your input - drdeb- big fan of your aesthetic... So I appreciate your honest feedback. Avery!!! So glad you came back!! I was worried you were lost and I'd never find you again!! You totally get me.
    As for the injections of colour... I was inspired by last month's in style magazine which featured coca rocha's new home. White canvas with lots of crazy pops of colour. I don't know I was just playing around I guess - obviously no crazy $$$ purchases just a few knick-knacks and trying stuff out. I love hearing from you guys. I am going to get the marimekko cushions done as I am crazy -in love with the fabric. I am still really debating putting a reading lamp in corner behind sofa. Thinking this one:
  • drdeb1234
    hace 8 años
    Thinking more about this room, Alana, I think what worked so beautifully is that , in its previous, more understated state -the architecture, art and dramatic furniture arrangement could really shine. I think simply put, this is a case of gilding the lily.
  • PRO
    Brillante
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

ok ok. i concur. (: i will remove some elements. avery - yes this is an original piece. my husband and i started collecting art for our anniversary each year. i am definitely not *glam* per se - more minimalist/modernist...and i think this room just got carried away. back to understated. thanks again guys! i wish you all a merry christmas!

• everdebz
    hace 8 años

Hope I can comment about one thing to edit out, and that's the nice orange pillow. Just seems enough color from art already...

Brillante agradeció a everdebz
  • terry toon
    hace 8 años

Loveseat might best be used in another room. Try a large neutral rug with the cowhide placed on top of it.

Brillante agradeció a terry toon
  • avery2pt0
    hace 8 años

Aww, thanks Alana.....so flattered for such the enthusiastic welcome back since, really, I'm probably one of your biggest fans! :-) And yes, I was lost out there for a while. The little bit of the "Houzz hiatus" did me some good, too....highly recommend it to anyone. But now that I'm back, I'm always so glad to see projects like yours progressing....and evolving perhaps....?

Oh, and I can see what you mean about Coca Rocha's home....uh, yeah....wow! No wonder you were inspired. So all I have to say about that is if you're still feeling inspired with Coca's home (or really, any other projects)....run with what inspires you.

IMO, our homes' style/design should be organic in the sense that it grows and evolves along with us. At one time you may have felt you leaned more minimalistic (only).....but now, maybe you're craving just a bit more "oomph" and/or color than what one would typically see in a minimalistic room. Perhaps it can be attributed to your and hubby's newly-acquired hobby of art collecting over the last year (and your love for beautifully bold/colorful original art pieces). Perhaps it's because of the time spent researching here on Houzz. Or maybe it's a combination of both....and/or other things?

Regardless, I think you have some really good instincts, Alaina. And those times you're not 100% sure, just ask for some other perspectives (as you've been doing). But at the end of the day.....go with what you love and what inspires you. There will always be opinions and critiques....even for some of the "best", professionally-done rooms out there. But IMHO, the true measure of a really successful design project is when the *homeowners* are happy. ☺️

• avery2pt0
    hace 8 años

PS Forgot to wish you a Happy Holiday, Alaina! Hope you're enjoying the time with those you love.

• PRO
    Brillante
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

avery - you said it so well! organic + evolving - like us! i love your thinking.

we had a wonderful christmas. our girls are 5, 4 and 2 so they are so much fun! how were your holidays? one of our favourite things to do is entertain...we've got lots coming up and will be hosting our annual open house/ "skate on the creek" on new year's day. lots to get ready for! i am SO CURIOUS about your spaces. i didn't notice any posts you started...do YOU have anything to share? (; btw i love your new screen name. lol. a houzz (or facebook!) hiatus + later comeback can be therapeutic and good for all.

on a sidenote...i think my space might be extra-glammy with the addition of a very bllingy christmas tree. haha. i will retake photos in normal non-holiday mode and repost.

thanks again all for chiming in. good getting to know some of you mod (+non mod) folk! cheers!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.