Houzz Logo Print
karen_peters3468

Please help make my Master Bedroom beautiful!

Karen P
hace 9 años
Hi! I am trying to create a spa-like feel in my Master Bedroom. The wall color is my own mix but is extremely close to BM Stratton Blue (just a little less green). Carpet is beige, trim BM Navajo White. I have to do this on a nickel because Hubby flips out when I try to buy furniture (even though he has upgraded motorcycles three times in five years! But we like to ride, so...) so I'm in a tough spot. Painted our nightstands but not sure about them. Can repaint. The following stay: bed, carpet, ceiling fan (sorry ceiling fan haters :)). The desk leaves and in its place will be my grandmother's antique secretary. The dresser hopefully leaves - I found one on Craigslist with curved front that I think would work well ($150, but still hubby grumbles). Wall mirror is a consignment shop find I painted metallic silver and glazed over. Tall mirror in corner may go. On the old ugly dresser are some things I have that may work. Fabric draped over headboard are curtains I made. Fabric at foot of bed is for a cornice I plan to make and attach at ceiling height. Pillows are some that I already had and may work; can be recovered. A small flat screen needs to go in here, possibly wall mounted (hubby works shift work and it helps him sleep). Too monochromatic? Pictures over nightstands or bed? Please be kind :). And go!

Comentarios (499)

• Tammy Lawhorn
    hace 8 años
    Karen there is a SW color called oyster bay that I think would work for your room. It isn't too green blue or grey. It works with almost any of your drapery colors. If you wanted to try a sixth time. or maybe just get a sample and paint some next to your draperies and see how you like it.
  • Karen P
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Tammy - already have that sample! I wish you could all just come on over and see this room! A lot of the samples I paint on boards look great, but then don't work on the walls. I think the sheen of the draperies have a lot to do with it. Here is a side-by-side comparison of blue vs beige. Also a collage of drapery/bedding/wood tone for my room. Thank you all!!!
  • Karen P
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Those are kind of blurry. Here are two more.
  • Susan Davis
    hace 8 años
    Ok Karen, I just reread all the posts again.
    You are getting a real workout.
    Please try one more color! I saw itin a model home ms the bedroom was done in tans and blues and greys and white. Bath done in grey and white with this color on the wall.
    It is a Benjamin Moore color and I think you should've tithe source and order a pots ample online. It is called Ice Cap. Try it for me?Vain I know but you are almost there!
  • PRO
    RK Custom Homes
    hace 8 años
    Karen is the wall color a taupe color in person? Doesn't always show true color on screen..well normally it doesn't! Do you like it? Also, when you can, will you remove the coverlet at end of bed and the salmon pillow and post another pic please:/ I don't have a problem with your wall color. I liked the original but I can see why the contrast of the wall you have now and your drapes work. The very last pic you posted looks like you have room for a narrow bench and I think a flat light rug would look nice by the bed to bring more texture and color(although I think you may have said you don't enjoy rug on carpet way back there, but not sure).
  • Rasha Gerlus
    hace 8 años
    Maybe a lighter shade of beige? The beige picture definitely makes the room look brighter.
  • Susan Davis
    hace 8 años
    I would like to say that I think you should order a pot of Benjamin Moore paint in Ice Cap and try it on a sample oak tag board about 30 inches square and hang it around the room during different times of the day and night. Humor me?
  • Karen P
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Hi everyone! Will catch up on comments a little later, just wanted to post the requested pix without coral pillow. Thanks all!!!! You guys are great! Now to finish laundry...
  • Susan Davis
    hace 8 años
    This is beautiful. Now to accessorize!!! Good job!
  • PRO
    RK Custom Homes
    hace 8 años
    Looks very nice to me!:) If the blues don't clash anywhere this is a good place to start accessorizing. I wish you had matching lamps:/ I like the starburst over bed, matching lamps and maybe a small vase of flowers or the blue dish you have and call it a day, on that wall. I don't like much on my nightstands. Add your art over dresser if you aren't placing tv or mirror there. I think you said you have the swinging lamp and it may be fine but I'm more drawn to matching. I'd take everything off of my nightstands and start fresh. I like the pictures but not sure how to place them without bigger screen to look at. There's someone on here that is awesome at that! I wish we could get him on your thread! I'll find the name and post it to see if they respond. They are the best I've seen! I I can see them combining the starburst with pics over bed, maybe. They have to scale software of some kind. I'm saying they, because I believe it's a man but not sure but whomever they're awesome! The name is Grover something. I'm sure someone else here knows who it is.
    Summing up. For now I like the starburst over bed with matching lamps of possible. Solid slipcover over chair, change lampshade if possible. A rug and bench at end of bed if possible. Im not sure where you are leaning now over dresser so I'll wait to see. Depends on what you need there. I'd keep it clean lines and not cluttered. Good luck:)
  • PRO
    RK Custom Homes
    hace 8 años
    Groveraxle, please help us pull this room together!:)
    If someone out there knows how to channel Grover, please do.
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    hace 8 años
    Karen I love the beige walls with your draperies. I think everything looks really nice. The dust ruffle will complete it and accessories.
  • PRO
    RK Custom Homes
    hace 8 años
    Groveraxle
  • whynotdecorate
    hace 8 años

I want to saw the spindles off the headboard.

• Karen P
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Whynotdecorate - brilliant. Exactly what I need to pull this room together. Soosun2 - I looked at that color (I have fan decks) and it still seems too blue. Would definitely have to get a sample.
    @Tammy Lawhorn - thanks!
    @RK - I HAD matching lamps, but took someone's suggestion for non-matching and returned one. Not just because it was suggested, but because I Have a CPAP machine (sleep apnea) on nightstand and couldn't reach the lamp. Definitely a new shade for floor lamp, new slipcover. No clashing of blues at the moment, but the day's still young!
  • PRO
    RK Custom Homes
    hace 8 años
    Lol, def Monday:/ Things will all come together!;)
  • Karen P
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks Vanguard! Lovely! RK, soosun2, Tammy - do you think I should post a new dilemma since things have changed quite a bit? Or is that a Houzz faux pas?
  • Susan Davis
    hace 8 años
    You are doing just fine. Hang in there. Write
    Down your goalsforthwroom and hang in there. Try motto let every one second guess you if you do not care for the idea. This is a suggestion forum to help
    You narrow down your choices. You are lYing for everything so it should be your final decision. Do the dust duffle and go from there. We are all looking forward to seeing it!
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    hace 8 años
    Karen if you post a new dilemma we will try to help you with that one too! Haha. I like seeing what you're doing! I was looking at some spa like bedrooms and a lot of them have orchids in them. if you need some accessories just buy some pretty artificial orchids and place them in a few places and that will look lovely! They have them now that look just like real ones. keep us updated!
  • Nancy Walton
    hace 8 años

Karen, I think the dust ruffle made from the drapery material would be perfect! Have you installed the cornice yet?

• Karen P
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks soosun, Tammy and Nancy! Thanks for stopping by again Nancy! The cornice is not quite finished but should be very soon. I think I will listen to you smart ladies and get the cornice and dust ruffle done and take it from there. May have to get more fabric for dust ruffle, so it will take a little while. Busy week ahead! THANK YOU!!
  • Nancy Walton
    hace 8 años

Good luck and have fun!

• Susan Davis
    hace 8 años
    See you are doing it and getting there bit by bit!
  • PRO
    RK Custom Homes
    hace 8 años
    Karen just keep plugging! Anyone that can make drapes, starburst, paint furniture, paint room umpteen times, plans to paint the blank canvas over dresser..no doubt at all you will complete this project and love it!! No doubt at all!! You're a step ahead of most of us! DO NOT give up until YOU love your room!
    Do wish Grover would show up and help us tie up the loose ends tho lol! Sometimes takes a fresh eye and she's awesome, but you're in the room..take the suggestions you like and use what looks good to you! They are only suggestions!;)
  • PRO
    RK Custom Homes
    hace 8 años
    Also, I don't think there's a thing wrong with you rewording your advice request to pull in other ideas! Let us know if you do please so we can follow your progress!;)
  • Susan Davis
    hace 8 años
    Some people cannot keep quiet. Guilty!

Karen , I keep going back to your inspiration room and this is what I see.

All furniture is painted dark so it makes a big impact.
    The walls are painted blue/Aqua but do not really 'match' the blue in anything in the room.
    The only other blue in the room are pillows and the two prints above the bed.
    The area rug is very bold and a lighter brown.
    The rest is a lot of cream on everything

I think you might take your fabric sample and find a pair of pillows to match.
    Then find a paint color that looks great with the pillows. But lighter than the pillows
    Paint the room and don't look back
    Do dust duffle
    Buy rug for foot of bed
    Find wood chair in Craig's list and paint dark like other furniture add cream cushions
    Hang prints over the bed as a pair-they add interest and drama to room
    Your night stands could stand to be same height as mattress. Either raise feet to make taller or find dark brown boxes to set lamps on as a matched set.
    Lamps need to be cool looking something that says take me home in Mercury glass or something you love and same height as inspiration lamps
    Find a blue lamp any blue and place on dresser to one side. Hang dark framed mirror
    Put blue pillows on bed.
    When this is all done see what you think?
    I think it will be killer. You have everything for this room except the wood chair so put it together and go.
  • Susan Davis
    hace 8 años
    Then if it still isn't right paint all the trim dark. This room is all about strong contrast with the barely there blue; any blue you select should be the lightest color on the paint chip. What do you think? You started this with an inspiration room and you ought to be true to that I think?
  • PRO
    RK Custom Homes
    hace 8 años
    OMG soosun I've forgotten the inspiration room at this point! I have to go find it now! You've inspired me!

Karen just take in what you can lol. I happened across this pic of what I had in mind for end of bed. Just ideas. Never know what might hit you! Although this room is not your style, a lot of the decorating ideas are good.
  • PRO
    509 Design
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Wow, you have had a lot of revisions! Your room is close. Your headboard feels very small. You could try mounting it higher on the wall. I think you mentioned it was only the headboard. This would give the bed more importance and will give you the focal point you need. Then, try using either euro shams or king size shams to match your new duvet (which is gorgeous by the way!) for height and focus at the head of the bed. You can place your everyday pillows behind them. Finally, try one long pillow in your drapery fabric or coordinating fabric in front of the white shams. It will keep it clean and simple looking, which is important for a spa look/feel. The drapery fabric looks great as the bed skirt. In terms of drapery cornice, I would also keep it simple, by using your drapery fabric on the cornice and take it all the way to the ceiling. This will look like it was designed and done by a professional by keeping the fabric the same. Otherwise, you would need to rework your drapery to include the cornice fabric in some way. If you use the artwork that your boys were holding up over each nightstand, it will finish it off beautifully. Your new swing arm sconce is beautiful. Have you tried it next to your chair? I would start with accessorizing as well. This is an important step that helps a room feel finished. If you look at your inspiration photos, you can see how the nightstands/dressers are styled. Good luck, I look forward to seeing your finished space!

• Karen P
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Wow, thanks everyone!! Great ideas! Not home at the moment but will look at pix late tonight. Appreciate your encouragement!!!!!!!!!
  • Susan Davis
    hace 8 años
    I bought a second hand head board and refinished it; narrow from the 4o's I think and had it hung 54 inches from floor with lumber to get height.
  • PRO
    RK Custom Homes
    hace 8 años
    Karen I ran across Groveraxle on a thread today. I asked her if she'd stop by and give you her expert advice..no questions asked lol! :)
    I hope that's appropriate but I couldn't resist! She really has wonderful ideas!! I haven't seen one I don't love yet!! Good luck! Hopefully she'll have time to stop by and pull your bedroom together!
  • Karen P
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    RK - I was just reading the new comments in that thread and saw yours! That is so sweet, thank you! I would have given up on this room without your (and others) encouragement. Thanks! Now, just going to saw the spindles off my headboard...;)
  • PRO
    RK Custom Homes
    hace 8 años
    Never never never give up!!!;) ..and don't saw your spindles!!! You don't have to do everything we post lol! Just pick up on the reasonable ones you can do! We are throwing things out there for you to grab what you love and go! I'd wait a day and see of Grover responds with some new ideas! She's very clear and to the point with her suggestions and puts it in a picture!! Hang on!
  • Karen P
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I was being sarcastic about the spindles! Although they could possibly make interesting candleholders. I follow Groveraxle and love her sense of humor. And you're right, she IS good. If she told me to saw the spindles and make earrings out of them I would probably do it. Lol!
  • Susan Davis
    hace 8 años
    Is she a he?
  • Karen P
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I have no idea soosun2! It's a Houzz mystery....
  • PRO
    RK Custom Homes
    hace 8 años
    I thought it was a he but someone told me it was she:/ I just looked at name and thought he! Great at design! I wish he/she would show up with their great ideas!:)
  • Nancy Walton
    hace 8 años

Groveraxle is a she.

• Ramona
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Sorry I have been gone. Finishing the school year is always a huge challenge for me. I am now recovering by doing nothing, really nothing that doesn't involve my laptop or tv.

Glad you got the lamp I suggested. I have two as of now. Only one is up. I should have warned you that the finish was different; however, in my room my metal bed has enough different metal shading, it blends in. You will love how you can adjust the light.

My goodness: people are still suggesting you repaint. Invite them to come over and do it for you.

I love the coverlet/s? Looks like you have two different white ones? Please clarify. I like the idea of a completely white bed. Have you purchased the extra fabric for the bed skirt yet?

If you want to post a new thread with current state of room, this is totally within Houzz practice. Just make a link in this thread to that one and in that thread to this one, so people can review.

You can use Rit color remover on your chair slipcover. It won't take out the pattern completely, but it will fade it. Then you can choose a blue? to dye over the faded pattern. Bleach often doesn't do much to high quality dyes, so at least you have a good fabric in that slipcover. At worst, you can use the slipcover as a pattern to make your own.

Look what I found:

Gardenia Wall Flower by DillyPad on Etsy · Más información

I really like your new dresser and a great buy!!

I wouldn't add more patterned fabrics at this point. The geometric on the cornice is nice. I would stay with textured tone on tone for pillows and maybe repeat cornice fabric on bed. I am very, very familiar with the sewers disease: collect fabrics and collect some more. At the end of her life, my mother's fabric collection literally took over whole rooms. She had great taste but it went out the window when she found a bargain, so lots of those fabrics were unusable for me. I know have my own strange collection.

Karen P agradeció a Ramona
  • PRO
    RK Custom Homes
    hace 8 años
    Hahaha! Those were fun posts!! Karen, I know you needed a good laugh about now! :)
    Karen P agradeció a RK Custom Homes
  • Karen P
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Finally back. What a week! @Ramona - thanks for coming back! I'm glad you are having some time to relax. I love the wall lamp you suggested, and don't worry about not telling me about the finish. I need a wall lamp on my side because I have a CPAP machine (sleep apnea). If I use a table lamp I can't reach it. Might just get another for the other side. I have a duvet cover in light Ivory. It is flat right now because I had to remove the too hot comforter and put a coverlet in. Would like puffy but light warmth for summer. Thanks for the info on the dye remover!

@Nancy Walton - if I'm not winning I am surely close!

Still wondering about paint Lol! Maybe a blue accent wall behind bed? And by blue, I mean whatever color it is I see in my head but can't seem to translate to a paint color. I think I will get my questions together and post a new dilemma. Can someone tell me how to post a link to this dilemma on my new dilemma? Thanks ladies!

• PRO
  • Ramona
    hace 8 años

just use the address in the bar above and the link symbol all the way to the right. If that isn't in menu for new dilemma, just the address will do.

Karen P agradeció a Ramona
  • Karen P
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks Ramona!!
  • Karen P
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/desperate-for-help-with-master-bedroom-ready-to-give-up-dsvw-vd~3117928 Hi guys! I finally had the courage to post a new dilemma. I hope I did it right. Please come by and help! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR GETTING ME THIS FAR!!

• Susan Davis
    hace 8 años

Sherwin Williams 7621.....look into this paint color from the top pic. I looked up more info and they listed this paint color and I think it is for the bedroom! I really think your room needs to be blue/green/aqua. It does not have to be an exact match, but has to look like it matches.....one thing l love about the inspiration picture you posted to begin with was that the ceiling drops down onto the wall. So maybe you might try going down 3-5 inches with a tape line, and then paint your ceiling and the five inches a plain ceiling white builder grade to brighten up the room and then blue on walls will reflect more light into the room. Hang curtains at the ceiling, use valance fabric to make two European Square pillows out of this fabric to go against the headboard. You cannot throw in the towel on blue paint, have you selected a blue fromt the valance fabric; it is gorgeous! And just paint the wall behind the bed with a series of blues instead of the whole room until you find the correct blue. Samples are fairly inexpensive. The valance fabric is stellar and would look fab on the bed. You are doing so well on everything!

• Karen P
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks soosun2! I will get my fandeck out and look at that color. Not sure about continuing the ceiling color into the walls because I only have 8' ceilings. Would that visually lower the ceiling?
  • Susan Davis
    hace 8 años
    Dropping the tape lineup 3 -5 inches mimics crown molding which I think would architectural interest to the ceiling and maki it look taller !
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.