Houzz Logo Print
dreambee

help me turn this laundry area into a pretty glam room

Nina Binder
hace 9 años
this laundry area is in a very visible walk through area of my house and as I was busy with my labor of love of first finishing every other room of the house I just now noticed that after having uprated most of the house this area is a major downer. I don't want to call it an eyesore, I am glad to be fortunate to have a place to do laundry in but it could certainly be nicer.
the floor will be a driftwood looking laminate. the shelf on the left used to be a gift wrapping paper craft station.
the area doesn't necessarily need to stay purely a laundry area. I am open to all suggestions and will be grateful for the input to expand my vision here with this! thank you so much!
ps.: I am not married to anything in this space

Comentarios (62)

• partim
    hace 9 años

My first (very tiny) house had the washer and dryer hidden behind louver doors, and we used the remaining space for an office. A coffee bar would be nice for your guests.

Is that Harry Potter's room under your stairs?

• Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @groveraxle !!!!! that just made my day!!! I really do love chandeliers everywhere :-)))))
  • Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @partim hihihihi!! there used to be a weird shaped walkthrough to another bedroom, bathroom and living room so I closed it off and turned that space on the other side of it to a little 1 bedroom apartment.
    I don't know yet what I want to make out of this weird shaped space.
    if I could get those super cool cantelievered steps I could open that under stair wall up
  • PRO
    evabuilddesign
    hace 9 años
    The first thing I Would do is get rid of those clunkers! Get a cute Meili stackable set. They don't stick out so much and do just as big loads , you'll love the compact look. Get some nice Dark copper double hooks to hand laundry. A small sink is a good idea if you want to soak clothes or wash the dog. If you read , add a small comfy chair while you wait for clothes to dry. If you draw , get a small table, lamp and chair. Or get your carpenter to make a wall of cubby holes and you can put baskets in them to sore dirty laundry, shoes, crafts - whatever. Eva
  • Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    dear Eva, thank you so much for all those suggestions! do you perhaps know the exact model number of the washer dryer combo you are referring to? very interested
  • PRO
    evabuilddesign
    hace 9 años
    You could also get a fold- down ironing board. I would come down from the wall like a murky bed only when you need it. Add a little TV orbradio if you spend a bit of time there. Evs
  • Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I just found a picture on houzz where they have the washer and dryer and wet bar all in one
  • PRO
    evabuilddesign
    hace 9 años
    They are nicknamed , little giants. I have the 3039i and love it. Check out the Meile website. I'm sure the have new models to choose from. Good luck. Eva
  • patrinkac
    hace 9 años
    Hi k1s2....you made me smile with you "murky" bed.....I bet you meant Murphy bed....no offense but it has been a stressful day and I needed that.......
  • patrinkac
    hace 9 años
    Question: And I so envy anyone with a dedicated laundry. How far do the W/D stick out into the room? Is that normal? Thanx
  • Kelley Dockrey
    hace 9 años
    If your up for new cabinetry, then integrate the washer and dryer so that you can hide it when not in use.
  • Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Yes I would very much be up for new cabinetry for a sleek look!
    perhaps I could salvage these old ones and use them in my garage....
  • everdebz
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años

Has anyone asked if you can roll / store items in the closet under your stairs? I like the idea of the Guests' Coffee Spot - when roommate is sleeping, etc. there's a place to sit??!! The uppers might be valued by another owner - try decals on them [I did that sort of thing]. If you have children you could paint it magnetic and though a messy look it'd be a fun wall.

19" round flowers mosaic side table · Más información

• Janie Burton
    hace 9 años
    Why are the appliances sitting so far out into the room? They should be pushed back toward the wall so that the fronts of the washer/dryer are more in line with the cabinet fronts. Have a carpenter adjust the size of one cabinet, if necessary.
  • Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I have added hardware to the cabinets, just some simple silver knob I found at home at night. I tried to pull the mashines further back which didn't make much of a difference.
    I love the idea of a sitting area, perhaps a little bistro table and defenitely close of the washing machines with panel doors.
  • Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    ooooh I just saw this picture online and think something like this with of course the washers hidden behind panel doors could be so pretty and cool!!
  • Emmy
    hace 9 años

I'd take out the right cabinet and push the appliances flush to the wall.

How about a big, glam rug, a pretty backsplash, add some glass knobs to the cabinets, and, of course, bling on the ceiling.

nuLOOM Handmade Pino Tribal Damask Rug, Blue, 7.6'x 9.6' · Más información

Penny Round Pattern Mosaic Stainless Steel Tile, Sample · Más información

Glass Knobs, Light Turquoise Glass Flower, Set of 3 · Más información

Bling Flushmount, Polished Nickel · Más información

• sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años

I would go totally silly with finishes: a bright lovely color, such as magenta plenty bling, a chandelier, shiny cannot pulls, a zebra rug. make laundry fun

• PRO
    McNICHOLS CO.
    hace 9 años

Our Perforated Metal and Wire Mesh
    cabinet inserts add style to so-so spaces—and they do not require a major
    overhaul. For examples, please check out McNICHOLS® Perforated Metal and Wire Mesh in our Kitchen & Bath Ideabook. These products can really brighten up a room. Our
    website has further information about both: http://www.mcnichols.com. Good luck!

• everdebz
    hace 9 años

I re-read your first post and noticed you'd like a glam room.

• Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    progress pics... current status tonight

I am moving the washer and dryer to a different room all together and am turning this into a bistro bar
  • everdebz
    hace 9 años

Wow - who knew you were going to do this!?

• Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @everdebz
  • Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I sure didn't until I woke up yesterday morning and had the epiphany :-)))
  • Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    now I am looking at cabinetry and countertops. I got the backsplash tile already
  • PRO
    evabuilddesign
    hace 9 años

Wow, that is a surprise. You said you weren't married to the room. What does your husband think? Where did you move the machines? Enjoy the new space.

• story75
    hace 9 años
    Josh njidder guide
  • Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    taking the closet down to open the little door to a french door :-))))
  • Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    mid day update of the former laundry wall....
  • Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    moving along....
  • Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    carpet flooring is gone... :-)))) yay!!!!
  • golfer32
    hace 9 años
    Keep posting photos. It's great to see the progress!!! :-)
  • everdebz
    hace 9 años

a small dose of mirrors. :)

• Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @everdebz I like this idea of mirrors to make something of the hobbit hutch :-)
  • Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    thank you @golfer32! ! I am now looking for a marble slab that would resemble the stone in these photos below! I got a quote for a Quarz that looks a lot like it but the square foot price of it was huge so I am still looking for perhaps calcutta marble
  • everdebz
    hace 9 años

Please explain the Hobbit hutch - where and what??!

• Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @everdebz it's this little akwardly shaped area under the stairs: (the closet next to it is gone now as a little bistro table will go there )
  • everdebz
    hace 9 años

Cool, and electricity nearby for new lighting? I like this on hgtv - rooms are reconfigured and during the process there's mystery! But I am too curious - will the whole underneath be removed? or part of it be a closet?

• Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    it's getting there.... :-)))
    bought my cabinets, floating shelves and light fixtures which will go in this coming week. I added a few pieces in the space I grabbed from throughout my house because I am so looking forward to this space :-))))
  • Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

New current update pictures :-))))

My drawer fronts should be coming in any day now as they were backordered. Monday a back splash will go up (I put one piece of the tiles there to show which one it will be) and a countertop we ended up building ourselves from plywood and seamless large marble tiling (that part defenitely needs some luck to come out looking good!!

I tore the carpeting off the stairs leading up and will paint the tread an alabaster greyish off white and tile the risers with a maroccan concrete tile. I am just waiting for the bistro area to be completed so I can decide between the two options of cement tile I have got my eyes on.

The bistro table area got a nice cluster glass lamp that my contractors assistant unfortunately broke by accident so I hope I can get a replacement for the glass globe.

• Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    sorry I just noticed the pictures in the previous post are missing
  • Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    and this is what my stairs currently look like and next to it is an example picture of what I am turning them into only that my tile will have a bit more greys in them
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años

nice job

• Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Current update, ... getting there.... much slower than I thought but non the less getting there....
  • everdebz
    hace 9 años

You're enjoying this! The tiles are edged? and show in the light, nice.

• PRO
    Reana Lauren Jones
    hace 9 años

looking great dreambee! So excited for you.

• Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    :-))))
  • golfer32
    hace 9 años

WOW! Nice transformation, and so functional! What color is the wall above the backsplash?

• Nina Binder
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @golfer32 :-))) thank you!! that's actually blackboard paint in black! I will draw chalk typography (wish me luck) on it!
  • designideas4me
    hace 9 años

Great idea of the wet bar in the laundry room so when people drink too much and throw up on themselves they can throw it all in the wash.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.