Houzz Logo Print
matthewthedecorator

Splitting a child's bedroom

Matthew Decorator
hace 9 años
I have a 2 year old daughter and a 7 month old daughter. The eldest has her own room and the youngest is still in her cot in our bedroom.

We are considering splitting the bedroom into 2 and thus allowing them each to have their own room, with their own door, own big window etc

What do you all think? Would you split them up at this age or allow them to share their room until they're older?

We're kind of worried about one keeping the other awake etc

Comentarios (7)

• PRO
    darleen wong
    hace 8 años

My kids have been sharing their room almost a year now. And even though the little one (1 year old) yells and screams and wakes up at 5am, the older one (2 year old) stays sleeping heavily. They only distract each other if they are both wide awake and full of energy. But I do not regret putting them in the same room. They have really learnt to share the space without it feeling unusual. This is their norm.

• LTS
    hace 8 años
    We have 5 year old b/g twins. They shared a 20' x 10' bedroom with 3 windows so we blocked the middle window up & split the room in half. We nabbed a bit of space from one of the bedrooms to create the walkway (for a bedroom door either side) so we moved the bathroom wall to gain more space in that bedroom & created a walk in wardrobe.
    You could see how your children get on with sharing, they are the same sex so could share whatever age. Good luck!
  • LTS
    hace 8 años
    I agree with darleen, the children get used to whatever noise the sibling makes & sleep through it.
  • buzzmummy
    hace 8 años

I can see what you're saying darleen, but this would never work for my kids. It is a nice idea to help learn to share though... I have 4 year old who sleeps (mostly!) well and has been in his own room since 6 months, and in a single bed since his second birthday. And 2yr old whose bedroom opens off this one, who wakes at the slightest noise every time!! He's never been a good sleeper :(.. still in a cot due to how many times he'd be jumping out of a bed in the night. I guess it depends on your kids temperaments Matthew, I would say they are still young so could train to sleep ok in the same room, you could bear the option in mind for when they get a little older and need their own space. That said, I shared bedrooms with my sisters most of my life and boy, did I love my own space when I got it!!!

• PRO
    darleen wong
    hace 8 años
    My eldest (2.5 yo) sleeps like its his favourite thing in the world. My youngest (1 yo) never liked to sleep. He still wakes 2-4 times a night in the shared room with his brother. And when he wakes I mean he screams! And still the other one will stay in bed.

Buzzmommy,
    It's all about training. And determination. They'll get used to whatever norm their raised with.

Good luck to all parents with kids sharing a room.
    And if you ever need advice on how to décor and visually separate a room in two, don't be shy to ask
  • hortonhearsawho2013
    hace 8 años

Trial sleeping them together for a couple of weeks, you can always move the little one back into yours and split the room if it's not working. I personally like the idea of a child having their own space to dream and feel safe in.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.