Houzz Logo Print
mulhede

Dinningroom boost needed

mulhede
hace 9 años

Any ideas of what I could do to boost my dinning room, color of wall, dinning room set painted?, it just seems to have no style, I would appreciate any help

Comentarios (31)

• User
    hace 9 años

Traditional doesn't have to be completely muted and well-behaved. You could add some shades to the chandelier bulbs, a longer colorful table runner to the table, larger items on the walls, and new fabric on the chairs. Take inspiration from the large artwork on the wall. If it is an isolated window, changing the drape to something more colorful would also work well.

mulhede agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Matt Clawson
    hace 9 años

I think the light fixture and table work, might want to re-think the hutch cabinet. Perhaps try a piece that's just a base, or maybe two coordinating base pieces, and then accentuate some nice art on that well space. That will also make the room appear larger. A rug is also a good idea.

mulhede agradeció a Matt Clawson
  • kstephens
    hace 9 años
    You could try changing the lighting fixture to a different style and color. As was previously mentioned, adding dressing to the floor would work nicely as well!
    mulhede agradeció a kstephens
  • PRO
    SimpleDecoratingTips.com
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años

Trying to guess your style preference based on the picture, I'd guess that you like French Country style? (The flowers in the center of the table look French Country)

If that assumption is correct, then I'd recommend keeping the light fixture, the style is perfect, but for sure add some cute candelabra shades to it. (Check out Ballard Designs)

And I'd for sure paint the furniture. I can see the chairs in a dark brown/black, to pull some of that dark of the chandelier to repeat it.

For the table a soft white. The table top you could leave woodtone or paint it white to match the legs.

Then for the hutch, you could do white again or a color, or gray could look great too.

For sure get a rug. Make sure it is large enough. Should be 3' beyond edge of table to allow enough room for chairs.

Get that 1st and use that for your color inspiration.

Get artwork etc after you get that stuff 1st.

If this may help you here are some dining room posts I wrote:

http://www.hometocottage.com/houses-and-cottages/our-new-100-year-old-house/dining-room-in-our-100-year-old-house/

wrote: http://www.hometocottage.com/houses-and-cottages/our-house-2/dining-room/

mulhede agradeció a SimpleDecoratingTips.com
  • tennisanyone
    hace 9 años

I would recover the chairs or get two host and hostess chairs just to break it up. get new window treatments not sure what you have now and think about removing the top of the china cabinet and then moving the bottom to another wall. Can we see a picture of the whole space. That cabinet is too small for that wall. Add a rug, find a long dresser to paint and then add a mirror and two lamps, get shades for the chandalier. I think those are easy fixes. It is a nice room but you can take it up a notch.

mulhede agradeció a tennisanyone
  • mulhede
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Thanks

• OldGrayMare
    hace 9 años
    Any changes and the order you do them in should be dictated by how much $$ and effort you want to put into it. But first things first....the rug. Find a rug that you really, really like. Don't worry about wall color or seat cushion color at this point...just find a rug that says wow! to you. Next, pull a wall color out of the rug. The color in there now, looks almost a minty green...but maybe it's sage green. I'm using an iPad so monitor feedback is probably iffy.
    OK...now we have a colorful rug and new wall color (maybe). I do kinda like the idea of painting the chairs + table legs...but maybe all else needed will be recovering seats in a kicky fabric that again pulls a color or,two,from the rug. Then, a more modern chandelier if you are tired of this one...altho it may look great with the changes you've already made. Remove the clock and small painting from wall and get two BIG TALL ones for either side of the armoire and voila!
    mulhede agradeció a OldGrayMare
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años

The room is not bad but it does not have much personality and combined with the traditional but slightly boring furniture, chair upholstery, wall paint, wall clock and hutch is just blah. So let us take the blah off.

- the table is gorgeous and should be the star of the room.

- get a different chandelier. You want punch in there. it should say: look at me, look at the table.

- I would re-upholster the chairs. they need more personality to go with their beautiful shape

- paint the walls. I like the green but a more updated green such as BM wasabi, SW gleeful. A bit more yellow, less hospital-looking.

- do a gallery wall incorporating all your art and the wall clock. do a large mirror in the wall in front of the window.

- Move the hutch to another wall. the center should be the table

mulhede agradeció a sacapuntaslapioz
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años

and some fabric for the chairs

mulhede agradeció a sacapuntaslapioz
  • Geneviève
    hace 9 años

Patina Gold Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug · Más información

I think that a rug will add warmth to the dining room ,I really like the floral fabric above perhaps you could consider it for the curtains :)

I also took a closer look a the chandelier that you have ,it looks good to me you could do what I did to ours I purchased shades for it and added a medallion to the ceiling too. I will try to post a photo of it .

mulhede agradeció a Geneviève
  • Maureen
    hace 9 años

Painting and accessorizing will make a huge difference and I wouldn't paint the set. Using the greish/blue (I think) that is in your drapes as a stepping off point, I would look for a very modern rug with blue/greys (see below). Reupholster your chairs in a pattern on pattern blue print and add extra padding so they look more custom. You could move your captains chairs to either side of hutch and purchase two upholstered ones and be sure to use complimentary fabric when redoing your chairs. I would remove the centrepiece and use mercury glass, remove items on hutch and wall accessories and add a starburst mirror next to the window. A modern chandelier and grasscloth wallpaper behind the hutch are extras that would really make a difference.

Shades of Grey dining room · Más información
    Audrey Etched Glass Decanters, Set of 3 Mercury Glass · Más información
    Grace Feyock Demarco Round Ornate Mirror · Más información

Kichler Lighting 43244BRSG Malina Traditional Chandelier · Más información

mulhede agradeció a Maureen
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    hace 9 años

Hi! You actually got yourself a nice traditional looking dining room there but if you would like to boost and add style to it - I recommend that you add a large rug to unify and pull everything together and make it look calmer. What goes with your dining room paint and wood color is nude tones and natural shade like this Oriental Rug on the picture.

RugKnots.Com · Más información

Notice how the Oriental rug gave this traditional room the foundation of its interior design. It kind of become the cherry on its pie, right? :D Now imagine taking the rug away and it will make the room look somewhat drab.

Oh, and about painting your dining room set - if you'll go for it - you would want to make its paint color the same as the table above.

And just a tip, when choosing a rug for a dining room - choose one that's large enough that when you pull the chairs back they all still need to be on that rug. Rugs should be large enough for key items of a furniture to stay on it because it's too small it's not going to anchor the room.

So hope that helped.

mulhede agradeció a RugKnots | Area Rugs
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 9 años

I would add a soft in tone rug, but with some pattern; paint the walls BM Gray Cashmere and spray paint your Williamsburg chandelier BM Million dollar rred.

mulhede agradeció a JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    Exeter Handkerchief Company
    hace 9 años

Some fabric design solutions to give you some ideas of the mood you would like your home to reflect. ARKfabric provides hundreds of design solutions for you to browse and discover ideas with fabric. Our sample size is twice the size of an Ipad.

• Susan Davis
    hace 9 años

I am redoing my dining room and am loving all your suggestions. The painted chandelier really speaks to me as mine is 12 arm colonial brass and it is just tooo much brass! Thanks!

mulhede agradeció a Susan Davis
  • mulhede
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Wow, great tips, I love the fabrics and will def. paint the walls in that color, love it, thanks

• ericaperry
    hace 9 años

SO much you could do here. Here is what I would do to maximize impact and minimize the cost/effort:

1) Get a rug. I like Maureen's suggestion, but get one that you love and use the colours in the rug as a jumping-off point for the rest of the room.

2) If possible, remove the hutch from the buffet. Once you've gotten rid of that, you can use the buffet top for a big canvas or mirror, and other accessories.

3) Add some big urns or planters to take up space in the corners of the room. The buffet is lost on that long wall at the moment.

4) Get a shorter centerpiece. It shouldn't almost touch the chandelier. A table runner in a complementary hue would also break up the wood.

I also like the idea of reupholstering the chairs and adding padding, if you have the money and/or time for that!

Good luck :)

mulhede agradeció a ericaperry
  • PRO
    Nazmiyal Collection
    hace 9 años

I agree - a nice rug would make a world of difference. You could are pretty open so you could go with Vintage rugs or even some nice Antique Oriental Rugs

mulhede agradeció a Nazmiyal Collection
  • User
    hace 9 años

We can help you give your dining room a boost and today's a great day to use our free designer Q&A! Irene Edwards, executive editor, Lonny is here all day answering your decorating questions. Ask away! http://www.decorist.com/questions/ We'll send you a design board and clickable shopping list with your answer.

mulhede agradeció a User
  • ladypat
    hace 9 años
    I would start by adding a rug. Then add some shades to the chandelier lights. Ballard Designs has great selections. Finally, you could re-upholster the chairs. The white you have now is too light and boring. The dining table is nice, I would not paint it.
    mulhede agradeció a ladypat
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 9 años

After you paint, lower the art so center points are 5' above the floor. If you do like French country, here's some inspiration for you.

My Houzz: French Country Meets Southern Farmhouse Style in Georgia · Más información

mulhede agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Nazmiyal Collection
    hace 9 años

That room is screaming for an antique rug :)

mulhede agradeció a Nazmiyal Collection
  • Amanda Guida
    hace 9 años

If you are looking for a full room make over. I would redo the floors - I would go with a dark grey hard wood. I would paint the walls a mushroom grey- it is an easy transitional colour to work with. I would put a pewter rug with a really nice sheen to it. Clear glass dining table with chrome legs and white leather chairs to make the room like an airy. I beautiful clear crystal chandelier would add a great elegance. A mirror credenza with artwork above and wall sconce. White sheers would look airy and elegant. I would add a touch of colour with a few accessories.

mulhede agradeció a Amanda Guida
  • mulhede
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Although I cannot do a complete makeover, I will for sure paint the walls a mushroom grey. Do you have a special colour in mind? Your ideas sound great.i love the mirror idea Thanks

• PRO
    flair lighting
    hace 9 años

the fixture you have is fine, shades would be a good idea here. dont bother to change it. instead focus on pulling the decor together and spend the same amount of money on a nice area rug to start your room.

mulhede agradeció a flair lighting
  • mulhede
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

I plan to get an area rug for sure. Will have to order one online. Any ideas?

• User
    hace 9 años

Here's a rug idea from Overstock, . We just launched a new discount program where you get a $50 furniture credit with your makeover. I can also give you a $20 off promo code to try. Use code Houzz. We can pull it all together for you in your budget here.

Mid-century glam vintage dining room · Más información

mulhede agradeció a User
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    hace 9 años

take the colors from the painting you have there. and that place matt, has the right blue to it. i would say beige ,

light (country) blue, and green...

mulhede agradeció a flair lighting
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    hace 9 años

wayfair, overstock are good places too look. but also target.

• Susan Davis
    hace 9 años

usarug I think? or rugsusa?

mulhede agradeció a Susan Davis
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.