Houzz Logo Print
ltomera

Basement office

ltomera
hace 9 años
We recently moved into a 1004 sq ft home with one bedroom and one bath. There was a small workroom in the basement we converted to a home office/ project room. Here are the results!

Comentarios (25)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    hace 9 años
    Nice office space for a basement.
  • Lucy Comstock
    hace 9 años
    WOW! nice way to use the space and it looks great!
  • Francine Allaire
    hace 9 años
    Put some ceramic tile and grout on the floor , cuts the humidity on your stuff by 90+ % . When I did that , my whole basement water pipes completely stopped sweating. If you put a computer in there it might damage it .
    Other than that , great job.
  • PRO
    Sunflower Staging
    hace 9 años
    a more comfy chair and a colorful rug to coordinate would look great too, looks like a smart design with a good size desktop.
  • bchboy6
    hace 9 años

Cute! Nice work! Guess I'd be a bit concerned about the humidity in the basement too. Not sure about the ceramic tile cutting the humidity. However, you may want to consider sealing the concrete walls and floor with RadonSeal® Deep-Penetrating Concrete Sealer to greatly reduce the transmission of water vapor, seepage, and radon gas.

• A Lean
    hace 9 años

That looks wonderful! in keeping with that industrial chic look, you might consider putting some industrial carpet tiles on the floor - not wall to wall, but like an area rug. You can change up the pattern and they can be taken up and cleaned very easily - even one at a time if just one gets soiled.

• Christine Amey
    hace 9 años
    Nice job how high is the ceiling in the basement? Thx for sharing
  • Francine Allaire
    hace 9 años
    Well bchboy6 , I am sure as I've experienced it for myself , have you ? Oh I'm sorry , I see you are trying to sale a product Radonseal . Sorry. I was just speaking from experience and that I have very dry closets in my basement since I've tiles the 1000 sqft for about 450$ so it's a cheap and very easy clean and no smelly chemicals... JMO
  • ltomera
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you for all the comments, surprisingly the basement is very dry! We do have a humidifier for the summer in the laundry area. We installed a radon system and the fan keeps the air moving under the concrete. Carpet tiles would be a good addition, that way the chairs don't get hung up on an area rug. This is a multipurpose project room- sewing, bills, photography, painting! I want to be able to sweep up the floor easily!

Here are photos from the rest of the basement. The egress window was recently installed and needs to be framed out. A TV will sit on top of the black, six drawer dresser. We can't afford to "finish" finish the basement so we went with the "unfinished" finished basement look! We have three grown children who visit occasionally and now we can sleep five down here. Upstairs there's only 1000 finished square feet.you also be adding a couple of radiators this summer.
  • ltomera
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Ameyc2,
    The ceiling is 7 feet high. There was a plaster and lathe ceiling that we removed -this gave us another foot illusion wise. We painted the rafters by hand because we have never use the sprayer before and were afraid of making a huge mess. It took two weeks to paint all the rafters.
  • ltomera
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you sunflower staging – chairs are on the wish list. Have more projects than money! I am trying to use what I have for now!
  • ltomera
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    These were the photos I used for inspiration- I forgot to mention a bathroom will be added down here well and I really like the one in this photo! One thing I really really like are the light filtering shades on the basement windows. I think they look simple and classic and are easy to open and close. One will be added to the egress window when it is finished. We have a long honey-do list.
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    hace 9 años
    Great work!
  • gbtoo
    hace 9 años

What a great transformation - you did a great job! I too snatched a small area of our basement and turned it into an office, but it certainly doesn't look as well designed as yours - the 'desk' is a flat panel door!. I added 2 IKEA Expedit bookcases and they really helped with the storage issues. However, the rest of the basement was never finished :(

Just a small concern if you have people sleeping there - is there access to the outside in case of an emergency?

• segur
    hace 9 años

Great job. You might be interested in an idea I heard and did to our basement guest room. If you paint the whole ceiling matte black and cover with white lattice (not wood) it gives you the illusion of a finished ceiling.

• ltomera
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Gbtoo: there is an egress window that was just installed. The inside trim still needs to be finished.

segur: it took us two weeks to paint the rafters white and I got vertigo that lasted two weeks! I think I would be headed to divorce court if I suggested we paint it again! We did consider painting it black and had it not been such a low ceiling would have done that!
  • segur
    hace 9 años

Know what you mean about divorce, my other half hates to paint. Go with the white and live happy ever after. :)

• Bradi Jones
    hace 9 años
    Not sure where you live, but the white is perfect for the even remote wish of having any light at all! Also, you can see spiders if they work their way in somehow!!!
  • PRO
    Lenore Frances Home Interiors
    hace 8 años

Great work!

• PRO
    Hamilton Klow Architects
    hace 8 años

Excellent job.

• PRO
    Fratantoni Interior Designers
    hace 8 años

Great job!!

• PRO
  • ltomera
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I realized I didn't address the humidity and radon remarks posted earlier. We had a radon system installed, and used Kilz waterproof primer on the walls. I haven't seen moisture on the pipes but we run a humidifier year around. I've never seen any water leakage even after very hard rain. We have amazing (two-foot) eaves on our prairie style house.
  • PRO
    Michael Lee, Inc
    hace 8 años

Nice work!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.