Houzz Logo Print
prestonktucker

Need help jazzing up a china and table to fit a modern decor

Preston Tucker
hace 9 años
My partner loves his china cabinet and formal dining table and I need some help from the Houzz family on how to incorporate this into a modern home. We’re building a new home and have the ability to choose our hardwood floors and start over with a new color scheme for our living areas. How on earth do I jazz up such a heavy ornate piece and make this come together in more update modern décor?

Comentarios (30)

• PRO
    Pioneer Home Improvements
    hace 9 años
    Hard to say without knowing what direction of modern you want. The new dining-room must have big open windows. Maybe reupholster the chairs (anthracite?). Go with very light color on the walls (yellow in the photo ages it too). Large photo wallpaper or the window across from the hutch adds balance. Dark laminate or anthracite tiles perhaps with a creme-colored rug under the table.
  • Preston Tucker
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @Pioneer Home Improvements. Listed is a photo of the model home's dining area. It's an open concept room, so sadly no traditional defined space for the table and china cabinet. Again, this is a photo of the model so this is not a reflection of the color choice I've made for the hardwood and paint colors etc.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Is your partner wedded to the chairs? How about the contents of the cabinet? Changing both would really help. Colorful art glass as opposed to white china would fit your modern vibe. Also, that way, the piece doesn't have to stay in the dining area.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Excellent ideas!
  • Geneviève
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Its a beautiful set indeed:)
    If you could move the cabinet to the wall where the mirror is it would look much better ...I think:)
    you are on the right direction otherwise ,the contents of the cabinet ? I agree they could be changed with different thing s. ,the plates are very nice and you could store those for special occasions under the cabinet .
    The chairs could be reupholstered with a different fabric ,the light fixture changed , the chairs that you have posted look a bit low to me ,I could be wrong ! you could measure them before purchasing them if you decide to get them that is :) Myself I don't think that they are suitable for this room they looks more Tropical to me:)
    Kate Spade New York Richmont Road 5-piece Place Setting · Más información

serveware https://www.houzz.com/products/warrane-5-light-9-crystal-chandelier-1102d32c-gt-rc-prvw-vr~12655795
    Safavieh Becca Dining Chairs - MCR4502G · Más información
  • Preston Tucker
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @Genevieve, the second photo I posted is of the model home where the table and cabinet will go. I love the Safavieh chairs you shared, what an awesome modern but sophisticated chair. I'm glad you think there is hope for this set. Thanks for your help!
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 9 años
    you could pay the movers to lose them. no, i didnt say that.
  • Preston Tucker
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @nnigrt; I've often thought of that.
  • Geneviève
    hace 9 años
    Or.... if you are allowed paint them :) The chairs that is .
    New Jonathan Charles Dining Chair · Más información
  • arkvillager
    hace 9 años
    Painted white, it could be integrated into Swedish traditional style.
  • Preston Tucker
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @Genevieve you have fantastic ideas and a great eye. I was thinking to try and eliminate the heaviness in the small open concept dining area and place the china in the entryway see photo below. Keep in mind again these are photos of the model. I intend to have dark hardwood floors throughout the home and different paint colors etc. Then by placing the table by itself in the dining with new chairs, I think this should help out. Or am I creating a different problem by having the china in the entry? I wouldn't display china of course, but vases, maybe some beautiful framed pics etc.
  • Preston Tucker
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    the entry.. possibly a spot for the china cab
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    hace 9 años
    I like the china cabinet in the foyer..consider painting it black..really says contemporary. Lighted inside with only a few large art glass pieces. The table also could be painted black. Chairs all upholstered. Just a thought. Choose large colorful pattern for chair fabrics. Maybe a geometric rug underneath.
  • Geneviève
    hace 9 años
    Thank you Take10 :)
    Perfect place for it then instead of dishes on the display a collection of vases would be ideal for it and that cabinet in the dining room perhaps :) oops ! I forgot that it was a model home again :))
    J. Hirsch Interior Design Portfolio · Más información
  • sootsprite
    hace 9 años
    What size will your dining room be? If you you style it and the hallway just right, it could be magnificent. It will be the first thing people see as they enter and something you will see all day long. In the dining room, it will not be as significant.
  • junef22
    hace 9 años
    Hi! How exciting that you two are creating a new home! I agree with the idea of putting the china cabinet in the foyer, and displaying something else (photos, books, modern pottery or glass, etc.). Painting the cabinet black will definitely give it a more updated look. You could also consider putting a graphic wallpaper inside the back or painting the interior a bright color.
  • sootsprite
    hace 9 años
    Oops! Sorry! I see that you have an open kitchen/dining/living space. Never mind on the size of your dining room.
  • Preston Tucker
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Junef22; great idea about adding some graphic wallpaper, as I think the inside is mirrored. Painting it and the table I think is out as he doesn't want the classic element of is destroyed.
  • Preston Tucker
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    sootsprite; I am going to do my best to give them diva and glam on then entry with the cabinet displayed there. I was thinking of placing a narrow chair next to it in the entry with an elaborate throw and maybe a orchid on the opposite side of the cabinet. Also replacing the chandelier with a more opulent piece I hope will give it the luster it needs.
  • sootsprite
    hace 9 años
    It's possible to combine looks and make something fantastic. Take your time and enjoy the process!
    http://houzz.com/photos/15320042
  • Paula Lewis
    hace 9 años
    That dining room furniture is gorgeous and would be perfect for a collected over generations style with a New Orleans vibe.
    Not modern, but could be very cool.
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años
    I love the idea of placing it into the entry. Bright or dark color background inside the upper cabinet with LED lights and either all art glass or white vases & pottery. Spectacular. Hey, even books. I have a classic traditional secretary that I do not like but I changed it into a curio cabinet as I had too many 'prettys' to put into existing cabinet.
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años
    The inside would not need to be painted to add the color. Just cut poster board the shapes & sizes needed & paint them (probably a matte finish). Other houzzers will have a better way of doing that, but I do know the actual surface of the piece would not need to be altered for the affect desired.
  • golfer32
    hace 9 años
    Great idea to put the china cabinet in the hallway. It's unexpected and the piece has impact. And splitting up the set will minimize the heaviness you feel when the two are together in the same space. As for the chairs, I kind of like them. I would start with a bold large scale pattern for the seats and see what that does for them. Maybe swap out the end chairs for hostess chairs to give some relief from the wood. An area rug under the table and it could be fabulous!
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años
    The beautiful table will go perfectly into your new dining area (w/o the leaves), with MCM chairs or classic designer chairs such as ghost chairs. I would also recover the seats on the existing chairs with a brilliant color or geometric pattern material and place them here & there throughout the house. (Or just put them in the garage.) Keeping the old to mix w/ the new is great eclectic design.
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años
    I don't think a colorful area rug would be needed under the dining ensemble. If anything a sisal to play down the traditional look.
  • partim
    hace 9 años
  • leelee
    hace 9 años
    Maybe you could remove the top portion and use the bottom as a buffet. Add a marble top if there are holes or scratches.

I don't see how that whole piece is going to work in a modern setting. China cabinets are sort of passe.

If you do decide to keep the whole thing then give it a big wall and lots of space and spotlight it. Otherwise, it'll be like the elephant in the room.
  • txtea3
    hace 9 años

China cabinets are not passe. Plenty of people have them in formal dining rooms and/or other rooms, ie foyer, living room, etc., using them for for other than china. I think they are beautiful and useful.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.