I forgot to add a photo of my family room here is

Comentarios (61)

• horselover222
    hace 9 años
    Do you like the pillows??
    Anamaria Louis agradeció a horselover222
  • horselover222
    hace 9 años
    K we need a rug that has a pattern and color!
  • PRO
    Bethany Colman Design Associates
    hace 9 años
    I would suggest to lighten up the room with a lighter area rug and/or reupholstering the chairs to something lighter. More contrast in fabrics is good and adds interest
    Anamaria Louis agradeció a Bethany Colman Design Associates
  • horselover222
    hace 9 años
    I it looks like your seating arrangement is not working with the tv placement so I would suggest moving the couch to the wall with the window so the couch is facing the tv.
  • horselover222
    hace 9 años
    Yes I think the drape will work.
  • horselover222
    hace 9 años
    Yes good luck!
  • horselover222
    hace 9 años
    Here are some ideas for a rug.
  • horselover222
    hace 9 años
    No no no!! You can keep the leather chair that is not a problem! I would put the leather chair where that patterned chair on the left side in the corner.
  • PRO
    Bethany Colman Design Associates
    hace 9 años
    I forgot to add a photo
    Anamaria Louis agradeció a Bethany Colman Design Associates
  • jck910
    hace 9 años
    OK wasn't sure it was a TV or a cabinet. Rug is too small and wrong colors. It looks gray and black to me. Before you go any further jumping into curtains, etc. You need to take all the accessories out of the room. Next step should be the rug. I agree with Bethany a lighter rug will definitely help. Does your husband watch TV in the leather chair? If so then it cannot be moved to the left. PLEASE clear the room of accessories, post a picture, then we can help you better. Right now you're jumping around trying to do too much. Decorating is a slow process
    Anamaria Louis agradeció a jck910
  • horselover222
    hace 9 años
    Yes I do agree but getting ideas are always helpful later on.
  • horselover222
    hace 9 años
    And this is not a total redo it is just rearranging and adding color and spice to the room.
  • Janie Burton
    hace 9 años
    First, find a rug you love, perhaps one in a navy and cream geometric design. Since you want to add Spring to your room, repaint the walls in a medium shade of yellow. Reupholstery the sofa in cream or a pale yellow. Don't worry about having a light colored sofa - use Sunbrella fabric. Reupholstery chairs in a bright spring green. Find fabric with cream background in a trellis pattern with green or yellow for new window treatments. Use pillows for sofa and chairs bringing repeats of Spring green, navy and yellow. Keep the mantelscape simple. Voila - a new brighter living area!
    Anamaria Louis agradeció a Janie Burton
  • Jennifer Hogan
    hace 9 años
    Neutrals are safe, but through the last decade I feel like we are drowning in a sea of neutral.
    Adding color only through accessories is safe, but when you look at your favorite outfits are they all neutral with only accessories adding color?
    Wall color can completely transform a room.
    Anamaria Louis agradeció a Jennifer Hogan
  • Shelley Blue
    hace 9 años
    maybe get a cabinet that's surrounds TV as it is so prominent and if there was a wood or creamy white cabinet side when looking into room TV would disappear - just something wide enough to cover side of TV . agree linen color drapes instead of white unless there will be more white in room. do you have beige shades on windows can't tell for sure.
    Anamaria Louis agradeció a Shelley Blue
  • greenfish1234
    hace 9 años
    Are you open to painting the walls? I would consider at least changing the burgandy. The chair rail looks low to me, and I'm not sure it helps. Not sure if it can be removed without damaging drywall? Either way, paint top and bottom the same color. A creamy yellow would really brighten things up and would look great with navy.
    Anamaria Louis agradeció a greenfish1234
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    hace 9 años
    So, what do you think about this arrangement, anamaria?

Here are a few ideas for art/rug for this area. I found 2 art pieces on Art.com and some coordinating rugs at Overstock.

Stay away from rugs that are busy because too much pattern can overwhelm the room. You have other things to notice and concentrate on and, in your case, keep the area rug on the simple side.
    Anamaria Louis agradeció a Sandy G. ltd.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Another combo.
    The little sticking point was finding a rug that coordinates with your tapestry chair. The easiest solution is a solid color rug or a stripe in colors in the chair. I cannot see the upholstery pattern well in your shots, so I guessed.

The brick color seems to work well in here. I looked for paintings with a red, blue and gold in them so you would have "permission" to use those colors to change your room up once in a while.

The painting is the most important accessory so far. The rugs in this post are meant to support the art and not compete with it - also to define the seating area better than your small rug.

Using some black somewhere would be a god way to pull in your TV.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    hace 9 años
    A coordinating rug under your dinette set would be good.
  • PRO
    Hoffman & Swinburne
    hace 9 años
    I think you can keep the reds - especially the chair upholstery - and lean in! Here's an Elle Decor space that I think could inform your choices. It may seem seem bold at first, but these elements are all really classic when you take a closer look.

If you replace your ceiling fan/light with a fan only (or just remove the lamp unit) you can add accent lighting that won't compete for attention with the TV (and won't make your ceiling seem low). I like horselover's carpet selections. Here's one that's a bit less bold, but still brings in the navy you like (Safavieh, $330 for the 8x10).

And please add a mirror over the mantel. I promise the light will dance around the room.
    Anamaria Louis agradeció a Hoffman & Swinburne
  • PRO
    Hoffman & Swinburne
    hace 9 años
    I like the new furniture arrangement. It might take a bit to feel comfortable, but I love how it opens the room to the rest of the house.
  • PRO
    Hoffman & Swinburne
    hace 9 años
    Also, if you are feeling bold, you could pant the walls navy - it would look incredible with the white curtains and shades. It would make the fireplace pop, too - and hide the TV, as the colors are closer in value.

I am madly in love with Farrow & Ball's Stiffkey Blue (2nd pic), and hope to do my own family room in that color, plus white woodwork.
  • PRO
    Hoffman & Swinburne
    hace 9 años
    Yes Anamaria, I saw the before pics. So much depends on what you want the space to be for your own lifestyle. The before pics show a room seeking to provide some separation between these spaces. The new arrangement invites the eye into the room, and provides better flow. But if you prefer the privacy afforded by the original arrangement - if if you simply don't like the new one - just switch it back!

After living in my apartment for three years, I finally figured out where my sofa should go. And it's my job to know where sofas should go. So you're in good company.
  • PRO
    Hoffman & Swinburne
    hace 9 años
    Keep the walls, but please put a big, gorgeous mirror over the fireplace. And you can change the mantel elements every season, or whenever you get bored with them.
  • everdebz
    hace 9 años
    Hi. I hope it's ok to comment on what just seems to lessen the look: the very white curtains. With brighter colors they might blend better, but with your tans and olive I picture creamier tones. Mirrors are great but you will be adding color to be seen from? Mantel serves that nicely.
    Anamaria Louis agradeció a everdebz
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    hace 9 años
    Nice going, and thank you for trying so hard to find the perfect solution!

The tab top panels are good! The red stripe ones are too much pattern and color on the windows. Red is an advancing color, bringing the walls in. The natural ones, that coordinate with the walls, expand the walls for a more open feel.

The toss pillow colors will be determined by the artwork you find. Then, you could use fewer of them. For now, take away the green, navy pillows and the gold afghan. It helps us on this end get a better idea of the space - those things come in last. I understand that it is fun to go ahead and have fun with accessories, but it helps to work with a cleaner canvas. Until you figure out the furniture placement that works, keep accessories to a minimum.

Remember, the leather recliner and your chair/ottoman need to be moved to the window wall for better TV viewing. My fear is that you have too much furniture in here - keeping TV viewing awkward. So you need to decide on your priorities - this amount of furniture or watching TV comfortably. How many people would you like to sit here?
  • Anamaria Louis
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you so very much for the for the feedback, I will remove the panel with the colors and replace them to the neutral color which I do have two more panels for those windows. Will chance the furtintures and I agree with you about having to much going on in that space. We have company over 4 to 5 times a year. Most of the time is just us. My husband it's a very busy man, when he come Home TV is One of his favorite place to go onwine for the day, that space it's very important to him. :-) thanks again for your help! :-)
  • horselover222
    hace 9 años
    That rearrangement is solo much better!
  • horselover222
    hace 9 años
    I think the plant behind the sofa should be removed
  • Anamaria Louis
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I agree with you horselover :-)
  • kellyzdesigning
    hace 9 años
    One chair too many. Too much on the mantle.
    Anamaria Louis agradeció a kellyzdesigning
  • Anamaria Louis
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Good morning everyone!! I wish all of you a wonderful day today!!!
    I am back at it this morning :-) with my family room transformation for spring. My hubby told me last night I need to find me something to do ASAP because I am driving him crazy :-) lol. He comes home and the room is different again hahahah. As you can see I remove the colorful panel and keep the more neutral one. I need to make this room more functional for watching TV, but I wanted to look nice as well. As you all know by now spring time look is my gold now. :-) I know I been driving everyone crazy with this project that it should simple to many people but for me it's a challenge :-) so here go!
  • greenfish1234
    hace 9 años
    Looks brighter and more open already!
  • greenfish1234
    hace 9 años
    Bigger rug that all furniture from legs touch. I like the navy and white ones posted earlier
  • horselover222
    hace 9 años
    Oh so much better already!
  • horselover222
    hace 9 años
    So now we are working with a clean slate I would put a navy and white patterned rug in ideas I posted earlier. I would then take down those beige drapes and add navy and white patterned drapes ideas I posted earlier. And then some accent pillows are going to make this room pop!
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    hace 9 años
    Holy Moley! Huge difference and what a beautiful neutral space. Much easier to work with now that the "bones" are exposed. The window treatment you did is - one panel per window on the fireplace wall. You pressed then too - - nice! Now, the architectural elements, like the arched doorway, are noticed and the fireplace gets the attention it deserves.

Please post a picture of the sofa moved & the chairs on the window wall? It will all have to be juggled into place = fingers crossed that it will workout. Trying to make that placement work so that you have the TV viewing optimized. Also hope you have another place in another room for the upholstered tapestry chair. It is a goodie!

Next step is to work with the sofa / TV wall, and think about a rug & art work. After that, it would help if you could/would pull out all of the accessories you have around so we can look for possibilities for placement of some of those.
    Below are examples of neutral rooms with hits of color.
  • motupeg
    hace 9 años
    The blue and white curtains give the room a different look from the tans and tapestry . Some nice blue pillows to match for the sofa and blue accessories would be great. I am wanting to see your coffee table in front of the sofa. The sofa table looks like it is out of the room in the doorway. Can it be used somewhere else? A foyer?
    Anamaria Louis agradeció a motupeg
  • jck910
    hace 9 años
    I am sorry but I disagree with using the navy & white curtains. I would just leave those windows with the lovely roman shades you have. Plus you have different rods on those smaller windows than the larger one. Bring the panels on the large window off the window and let them hang straight. You may have to "train" to stay put. You do this by tying them with narrow scraps of fabric at the top, middle & bottom for a week or 2. When you remove the ties they should stay in place. Again as I said before yellow is not a good option as an accent with your wall color. If you want "spring-like" I would go with green not yellow. Navy is good also but for fall and winter. Agree sofa table needs to go, shouldn't be in doorway as it is now. Can you push the TV back a little on its console, looks odd so close to edge.
    Anamaria Louis agradeció a jck910
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    hace 9 años
    For [your party, use all tan drapery panels. Replace the grille above the fireplace and put your candlesticks back on the mantle and light the candles. Place your orchid plant on the cocktail and the smaller, lower arrangement on the console behind the sofa.

You can think about your dilemma another day. Cheers!
  • Anamaria Louis
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you Guys!! for your seggestions I think I got enought to work with and F/U with photos updates. you all been great help to me!!! Cheers Sandy
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    hace 9 años
    Note - I wrote this before I saw your post above re: guests coming over on Saturday. Lost it on my desktop and it just popped up now!

Isn't it interesting that you are so close to the placement you started out with?

The drapery choice is up to you and it will depend on the art piece you find for over the fireplace. So, now that the furniture placement is solved, find some art and a larger rug next.

Please post a picture of the TV wall.

The side view of the TV could be softened with your tree. Bring it back in and set it on the left side of the TV. Or, add matching side cabinets to the TV cabinet and place matching lamps, accessories on each one.

Try pushing your chairs closer together, straighter to the TV. This will move the ottoman away from the sofa. Then think about a different cocktail table that is long and narrow. The combination of the ottoman and cocktail is on the clunky side so straightening this central area up would make more sense.

Move the sofa/console out from the wall a little. It feels like it is smooshed into the wall.

If you like to change things up occasionally, here are some paintings that include yellow. The more colors in the painting, the more flexibility you will have when you want to change things up with pillows, etc. As far as the rug goes, you can use a solid or a simple pattern in the right colors.
  • Anamaria Louis
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you SO MUCH!!! Sandy. The TV is a monter :-) I wish I have a small one but that will never happen lol. I love the idea on finding cabinet for this side of the TV in each side I will look into that. I also like the new art special the one with tulips beautiful and the colors are just right. Ones again thank you I got so much to work with now. I also wants to thanks everyone else for the ideas an more importantly, for taking the time to read and response. God Bless!!
  • Anamaria Louis
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Here is the TV wall
  • Anamaria Louis
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    The white box on the right is the bose system box can't be move :-( I will look for a diferent coffee table any ideas? i love the trunks style with storage but I dont know if will work or wich one to get. any idea of rug zise?
  • annmsantana
    hace 9 años
    I would suggest a wider TV cabinet. You don't want the cabinet the same width as the TV
    Anamaria Louis agradeció a annmsantana
  • Anamaria Louis
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Tahnk you annmasantana, I totally agree! I am online now looking for diferent one.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    hace 9 años
    Thank you for sending us the picture of the TV wall!

You could paint the speakers the same color as the wall as well as the other things up there. They will be less noticeable then. The white box on the floor that is part of this system could be placed on the bottom shelf of an open-backed bookcase - slid in from behind. A narrow, shallow, low bookcase would work for both sides of the TV. Doors on part of the bookcases would give you some storage for DVDs, etc.

Now, you are using a TV cabinet that is Mission with a console & cocktail that are in the transitional realm, so try to find other wood pieces that will coordinate with them. You could use a trunk style for the cocktail but then change the console for something that works with the TV cabinet or the dining set.

You might be able to find matching pieces for the TV cabinet if you google the brand or go to the showroom where you purchased it. There might be side pieces and/or bookcases in the series of that style. It would certainly be fine to change up this Mission style for the cocktail table. Use a different stain or painted surface - all good on this piece to mix it up a little bit.

The TV cabinet width is fine as long as you finish the sides with low cabinets or bookcases.
  • everdebz
    hace 9 años

I haven't read all, but I wonder what soft red would look like on bottom half.... if tan chairs etc. would then show nicely with a little pop. And like someone else said with the white trim bit higher.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.