Houzz Logo Print
krmenard

Odd landing

krmenard
hace 9 años
Hi,

I have an odd landing of sorts (an unfinished hall) that can be seen when sitting in our great room. Right now I have nothing there and looking for ideas on how to use this space. It is about 3ft X 7ft. Any thoughts are welcome!

Comentarios (26)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    hace 9 años
    If possible expand the room on the 2nd floor by removing the handrail.
  • PRO
    Sallie Smith Decor and Decorating
    hace 9 años
    The simplest thing is to put plants up there and some bid pieces of artwork. Or you could remove the railing and put a giant screen TV up on the corner
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    hace 9 años
    Dy and Sallie are right, but I just have to throw out the idea of a slide if you're "young at heart."

[houzz=
    East Village Penthouse · Más información
    ]
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    hace 9 años
    I would take the railing down, if it were mine, I would put a Cello or a Harp/ with chair in that space as art. Builders, you just have to wonder what they had in mind.
  • erinsean
    hace 9 años
    How about a console like desk. Or a bombe chest with lamp on it and a big plant near the end of the rail. Or just a plant with a big pretty vase/jar on the wall with your art work moved more over to the right. What were the builders thinking....I could see that balconey with the door to the bedroom (?) there but just a bare wall.....not!
  • hayleydaniels
    hace 9 años
    Railings are required by law according to building codes, and since it appears you have a child, LEAVE the railing there for safety safe.

I think what you've got there with the chalkboard is probably a good use of the space. Every spare inch of a home doesn't have to be decorated.
  • PRO
    Design Details
    hace 9 años
    I had a client who used a similar space as a display shelf for one of his vintage Harley-Davidson motorcycles. You only need a railing if the space is walkable. putting a gate or a railing across the entry would close it off and keep it safe.
    Alternatively, just for fun I would paint a faux doorway at the end of the run.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Hayley, I don't think anybody is suggesting to take that part of the railing down and not replace it with something else back at the door.
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 9 años
    i'd close off the railing and add a giant majolica urn. i actually have a pocket place like that, goes around sliders in a loft. looks a bit silly but no way around it.
  • hayleydaniels
    hace 9 años
    Fred, I would hope not. When I see a child, a chalkboard and a place where a child could be seriously injuried or killed, I mention it.

As far as putting a Harley up there, what happens if there's an earthquake? Guess I'm overly safety conscious......
  • PRO
    Johanne Blansche Designs
    hace 9 años
    Maybe I'm the odd person out, but why does it have to be filled with anything? It isn't meant to be a feature so lets not make it one. Your eye will be drawn up to it only if it has something there. I would just let the young artist in the family play there and when they grow too old for that then just leave the space as is.
  • hatetoshop
    hace 9 años
    Bookshelves? If you do opt for art, make it large so it can be seen from below.

Lindon, Utah Luxury Home by Markay Johnson Construction · Más información

Traditional Living Room · Más información
  • maventreehugger
    hace 9 años
    You could drywall it in and add a door to make a closet out of it...
  • sootsprite
    hace 9 años
    Agree with previous ideas. If you need storage, floor it over to the stairwell and make a large closet. Otherwise, perfect place for bookshelves!
  • Ann Miller
    hace 9 años
    Close the space off for a walk in cedar closet!
  • organizedsarah
    hace 9 años
    I like the idea of a play space for your child. Put several fluffy pillows on the floor to cuddle up on. Maybe a window-box kind of seating on the end (or if she's a climber, on the wall side) with space underneath for books and some soft toys (soft in case they get dropped to the room below). On the wall, you could put some of her framed art work down at her eye level.

As a child, her imagination could make this area a castle or a treehouse or a space ship or a secret hiding spot without much adult intervention at all! And, because it's an open space, she could still be "with" the family, and you could keep an eye on her without having to enter "her" space. When she wants to "be alone" she could stack the floor pillows up against the railing to make a "wall" for privacy and feel "hidden". Unless you're a really noisy family, I could see this as a great place for a young child to take an afternoon nap!

When she gets older, it would make a lovely reading area with a simple (rocking?) chair, a small side table for a few books and a lamp and a larger piece of art on the wall.

If you really need to adult it up, because it's seen from below, I'd put a large piece of art higher up on the wall with her art work below...but I agree with Johanne Blansche that not everything needs to be decorated.

Childhood is fleeting. Think about it...why invite somebody into your home who is so snooty they expect you to decorate an area to impress THEM? Instead befriend and invite people who delight in your making your home your child's home as well and let this odd space build happy, loving memories for your family.
  • organizedsarah
    hace 9 años
    I just looked at your pics again...is the wall by your TV a "V" shape? Why isn't it just flat? Curious!!!
  • margo1971
    hace 9 años
    I would remove the railing ,have it framed in and create a storage closet
  • leelee
    hace 9 años
    Divert attention from the landing by making your downstairs living space really special and interesting. You Do Not need people to be staring up at the landing so focus on the main room. You can't really do enough to make that area look "right" so best to ignore it and spend your money on a great rug or fantastic art. It was a bad design by the builder.
  • PRO
    DeCocco Design
    hace 9 años
    Book shelves with gooseneck accent lighting installed above. Make it a little library.
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años
    Is that a closet under the area? If you frame it in for a closet above think of the storage advantages. Then hang a large tapestry, Native American rug or a piece of art on that upper wall. I have a problem with the angled section on the 1st floor, however your TV seems to fit it okay so I guess it's no problem. There is probably a very good reason for it. Or else it was another builder quirk that was thought to add interest (as is the upper portion?????) By the way, just a thought you may need to recess the area for a door to the upper closet so it does not interfere with the door to the room behind it.
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años
    Sometimes it takes me so long to post my ideas that someone else posts the same ideas before my posting is done. Either great minds think alike and they are in fact good ideas. hahahah
  • dclostboy
    hace 9 años
    Use for skits and monologues.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?
    Deny thy father and refuse thy name;
    Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
    And I'll no longer be a Capulet.
  • Irene Morresey
    hace 9 años
    Some ideas, love big mirrors reflecting flowers, could throw a couple bean bags and a small bookcase for reading nook, floor lamp if possible
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.