Houzz Logo Print
l00k

Need help with my formal living?

hace 11 años
I ordered a library( 2 large bookshelfs with a ladder ) from Arhaus to keep stuff.It is BLACK in color with clean lines.I plan to put it where the chest with the crystals on top.
My questions are the foll:
Will i have to change the wall color?If so what color?
Get rid of the brown furniture(its from my older home as it is traditional looking?
What color sofa do i get?
Or should i cancel my black book case and go with the present theme?
Could you please answer each question?

Comentarios (56)

• PRO
    hace 11 años
    Your wall color is fine if you want it to feel cozy and warm. However it will look small when you add the black bookcase. Light colored furniture with a lighter color on the walls will make the room appear larger. If you really want a statement use light grey and paint your moldings black it is very dramatic. I would paint the back field of the wainscot a slightly darker grey than the walls and paint the chair rail and picture frame molding black to keep the drama throughout. If you want the room to look as large as possible then cancel the bookcase.
  • hace 11 años
    I do love the present wall color and the figurines,it is stuff i have collected over years of travel to Asia, but i fell in love with the shelf at the store and bought it since it had so much storage and practicality.The room ends where the plant is and is the wall is exactly the same as the opposite one.I will try to get more pics.
    Carolyn,Thanks,yes that is the correct bookshelf.I love it,i also love the present color scheme but wouldnt mind changing it if it didnt work.I also love greys,light blues although my collectibles may not look good with that..Yes i plan to get a larger rug.I totally agree that i will have to get rid of some browns.
    International interiors- love your ideas.Could you also give some suggestions on my previous post on my family room as you seemed to have done similar work?
    judy-Love your ideas ,i too thought of a chesterfield,but cant go with white as i have little ones.I was thinking of brown or black leather chesterfield for practical reasons but that might be too dark.
    grannite grannies,i do love the wall color and the browns go beautifully with it.
    Decoenthusiaste - Yes didnt think of that,you mean put the sofa in front of the window?
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    This is a beautiful room. I think the black bookcase will look striking on the gold wall. Since we only have the one image I can't tell if there is a fireplace in the room. If not the book case will become a great focal point. Will the sofa be placed across from the bookcase. Please consider something other than a black leather sofa. Although practical, leather is cold in the winter, hot in the summer and any decorative pillows slip off. A big black sofa will suck life out of the beautiful room. Ultra suede in a charcoal gray (or any color of your choice) with nailhead trim could be an attractive option and just as practical as leather. I also love the idea of that tufted back chesterfield judyG recommended along with her chair recommendation to go with your desk. I Recommend that you have new fully working curtains made or each panel at least two widths of lined or interlined fabric. I would use a larger wood rod and rings painted in a satin black finish to tie in the new black bookcase. You could have a roman shade made out of the same curtain fabric for the smaller side window or put full length curtains there as well. A black and white stripe fabric could be striking. A larger area rug would anchor the major furniture pieces. The desk chair, sofa decorative pillows and curtain fabric colors can play off the colors in an area rug.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Well, 100k, now that I know that you liked the colorful picture that I posted, I have a totally different perspective on your needs. I had pictured you as a senior citizen, perhaps living alone! Low and behold, that's not the case! Here's the photo below, the one that 100k liked, with the 3 birds on a silver tray. I think this places you in the traditional group that is yearning for get more contemporary.

So, to go with your beautiful black bookcase with that library ladder that each and everyone of us would love to have, I think that a black or brown leather sofa would be wonderful for you and your children. I would select a very classic, simple style, such as the Mitchell Gold piece below, but I prefer it in black. I'd add some tight back comfy armchairs in a linen blend.
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID · Más información
    Dexter Leather Collection Sofa, No Buttons · Más información

Then we would brighten and lighten your living room with a seagrass rug, or perhaps a kilim rug. I'll continue this in my next posting. Sometimes I lose posts with I get longwinded and have several photos attached, so I find it better now to continue in an additional post.
    PB Found Vintage Kilim Rugs · Más información
    Seagrass Rug · Más información
    Portia Chair in Dark Linen with Stripe - Aidan Gray · Más información
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    I do very much like this coffee table for you. It may come in brass too. I don't want you to lose all your traditional pieces, so we may need to throw a bit of brass into your new look. I see a beautiful brass lamp with a red shade. We need to use it somewhere. Please tell me what you were collecting in Asia, and how many children you have at home with you. What size is your living room? Other rug possibilities for you include oushak and serapi rugs. You could ask your local rug store to show you some. Below is an oushak.
    Collectors Classics Coffee Table by Ethan Allen · Más información
    Handmade Oushak Slate Blue/ Ivory Wool Rug · Más información
  • hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Good suggestions all round. I love your wall color! But would you consider alternative furniture arrangement? I just find it a pity your furniture placement effectively hides the geometric details of the wall panels. Try this instead:

Position your sofa in front of the window to take advantage of the natural light from the windows. I'm partial to white Chesterfields though keeping it pristine is a real challenge. But it's classic style will complement your room. If you do decide on a dark sofa, be sure to get a large rug in light neutrals to brighten up the space.

Move the console with the figurines to the back of the sofa. Your corner table can function as a side table.

Without more pictures I do not know if you already have an existing focal point in the living room but I can imagine the tall dark Arhaus bookshelves dominating it. Lighten up its brooding presence by featuring lighter colored objects, framed photos and books. Or draw attention away from it with a striking sofa or an accent piece.

If you want a more contemporary feel, changing the wall color is probably the most cost effective solution. With the warm tones in your existing furniture, cooler tones such as soft teal or grey will help balance things out.
  • hace 11 años
    Carolyn,Ha ha I am laughing cos my decor suggested that i was an senior citizen.Actually the queen anne style Tables etc are my husbands choice as he likes good wood,he doesnt mind contemporary as long as it is solid wood etc.But he lets me do whatever i want as he trusts my judgement.I brought back the two rose wood handcrafted frames and the carves rosewood figurines from India.Also the colorful embroidered runners you see on the tables.The rug is a belgian wool rug from London.The brass lamp is an old chinese lantern,the pot holder to the right holding the plant is the similar.The entertainment center is local.The table below the lamp is a lane cedar wood chest which is local too.I have two kids one is in elementary school.Although i love the creams and beiges and light colors,they are not practical at all .i had a beige sofa that got so badly ruined.Love your suggestions, but am still apprehensive about the bookshelf.
  • hace 11 años
    @ Carol,Dimensions of my formal living:Length-200 inches,Breath-14 feet,The width of the window is 104 inches
    I plan to use the use as place to read and play board games with my family and friends .So a large soft comfy rug is what i need.The library will hold books,photo albums and the bottom will store all the board games .
  • hace 11 años
    I guess the wall color is bright golden, it would look awesome in combination with the black bookcase. Brown would make the feel warm and cozy but since everything in the room is dark it would make it look very small. If its large enough in size then you don't need to change anything.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Do you have a game table, 100k?

For your rug, this leopard rug is rather fun. Or you could go a little modern with the rug and introduce gray into the room with the gray and yellow rug below. There are some beautiful ikat rugs on the market these days. I'm not crazy about the particular one below but thought it might pique your interest enough that you could ask your local rug dealer to see some more.

By the way, my friends call me Carolyn.
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    Mayor Leopard Rug · Más información
    Grey Rug With Yellow Branches · Más información
    Cenon Ikat Black Rug · Más información
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Somewhere along the way, 100k, you asked if I'd give you some suggestions on your family room from a previous post. I'd be happy to if you can give me its reference number.
  • hace 11 años
    Carolyn,How do i get the ref ?You have already given suggestions,i moved the chairs around will be posting pics.Let me know what you think.Thanks a lot.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    At the top of your screen above the houzz bar you'll find the bar that says https://www.houzz.com/discussions/home-and-garden-discussions-dsbr0-bd~ and it gives a number. But if I've already answered those questions, then never mind, I don't need it.
  • hace 11 años
    Hi ! Attached more pics!
  • hace 11 años
    Hi ! Attached more pics!
  • hace 11 años
    Hi Carolyn,the ref no for the formal is 276782.I have attached more pics of the room.could you let me know how to arrange the furniture?I love your choices.
    I have also posted the dimensions of the room to give you a better perspective.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Okay, I've drawn 2 different furniture arrangements for your formal living room. And there are other possibilities, but this will at least show you that you can get in the items I think you want.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    You could use more light tank for your living room is better, your room will be bright.
  • hace 11 años
    I'm always confused when a homeowner asks people about totally revamping a room, but doesn't mention what they like or don't like about it currently! If you bought the black bookcase, I have to assume you liked the color & lines .. so why consider changing the order now? Why change the wall color .. do you not like it? What vision do YOU have of the room .. do you see a theme to it? Everyone has different style; how productive is it for everyone to give ideas, if we don't know what a homeowner's lifestyle or home preferences are?
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    First, rugs are too small. Second the bookcase should be super. Turn the desk in the front window to perpendicular to the window, add a lamp, and a pretty accent arm chair, that acts as a desk chair. Take the remaining small pieces of furniture out, add a light toned neutral sofa, and pull accent colors from the eventual rug you really NEED.. I don't like a sofa with its back to the window if you can avoid it, opposite the bookcase will add balance when there is art above. Start with the most important pieces, bookcase, rug, sofa.... and go from there. I like the sofa opposite the bookcase. Resist the urge to load the room with furniture. Think in three vignettes. Sofa wall, bookcase wall, and major window wall FIRST. And a large and "grounding" rug for the room. When you know the majors, the rest is easy. Love the wall color with black bookcase too. Take your time and no more black anything...one piece is plenty. Try for lighter on the remainder, especially upholstery.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Okay, must go to grocery!!! Ugly thumbnail sketch here, but you get the idea,. You want a BALANCE between hard and soft furniture without overloading the room. You need lights, and a place to put them. You need the soft of upholstery and rugs! You need to be able to converse, and set a drink down...and you need to be able to get in and out of the room, and still seat six or eight and have it look good and be welcoming, but cozy for one or two.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    I had another go at your furniture arrangement this morning.
  • hace 11 años
    @ Carol,So many choices ,thank you so much,I really appreciate the time and effort you took to do this for me.You a real sweetheart.I am anxiously waiting for my order to arrive,let's hope it all works out.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    100k,
    Sorry,!!!! We all have opinion : ) but that room is ONLY 14 x16.5!!!!. Please don't chop it with too much furniture, and multiple rugs? You will have comfort, cozy, and more appeal with less of all, except the rug. Think 12x14or 15 (feet).. Don't over think....better scaled/neater drawing attached.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    oops sorry..... The neater scaled didn't attach! This is allllllllll you need. : ) : ) Merry Christmas.!!!
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Not to belabor this issue, but the large window is an obvious focal point on entering a very symmetrical space. To either side, the Arhaus tall cabinetry and sofa will balance one another with equal weights, when the sofa has something above and is framed by lamp tables and lamps. The larger rug, ( and by the way, you can create your own custom from patterened or textured broadloom or sisal, for less than a ready rug in that size) will anchor the furniture, and expand the room visually.
    You don't need to seat twenty, but a mix of size, depth, and accommodating 6/8 people is nice. You have the potential for a lovely room, glowing, cozy, comfy.... with room to walk. IT'S GOING TO LOOK A LOT LARGER TOO. Take that to the bank! : ) Okay... I am done now.... lol
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Carolyn's furniture and rug recommendations are all beautiful and help to lean the design direction to a more transitional than traditional style. The warm colors in her rug recommendations are a great compliment to the yellow gold walls and the black bookcase. Although a black leather sofa would not be my recommendation, I like the streamlined styling of the Michel Gold sofa she recommends. My beef with black and brown leather sofas is that there is a plethora of large scaled puffy armed black or brown sofas and recliners in homes across America that belong in a Man cave and not in a beautiful living room like yours. I think that Jan Moyers furniture floor plan is the most inviting and functions for TV watching (if a TV is in the bookcase) and for conversation with the placement of chairs across from the sofa. Although it would be nice to get a game table in the room I think it will be too crowded. You would have to choose between the desk and a game table either of which would be attractive set in front of the long window. If a game table would be more useful in the living room then see if there is another area in the home where you might place the desk.
  • hace 11 años
    What a beautiful space. I love the wall color. I do think, however, that the Taupey drapery sucks the life out of the room. Simple and crisp white linen panels hung all the way to the ceiling just under the crown molding would be rich yet would bring down the level of formality and also provide better balance with the height of the bookcases.....which are very chic! I adore the Ikat pattern that Carolyn suggested although I would use it on pillows instead an area rug so that you can just throw them away when that look is no longer relevant!
  • hace 11 años
    @ Jan Moyer,Thanks a lot for your time.Youe floor plan was exactly what i had thought earlier.I now have a lot of ideas to work with.
    Where do i find relable men willing to move the furniture around any suggestions?
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    100k,
    I would google "small local moving" in your city or town. Frankly,you and a couple of guy friends can do it... possibly? The Arhaus piece will be delivered and placed per your instruction by their white glove delivery. Best if you settle on the permanent location for that!!! You can do the same thing with a sofa the remaining upholstery,, and may I suggest.......???
    http://www.asseenontv.com/ez-moves/detail.php?p=299741......
    works like a charm!!!!!!!!!! Good luck.... and if you stick to the plan and you will have a gorgeous room. All 4 directions will be a treat for your eye, and will function just great. Keep in mind the "balance" of textures.... don't overload with leather... and take your time.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    And for what it is worth.... if you'd like a pattern in the rug, begin with the rug. If you could see a nice chunky textured sisal, you can choose upholstery coverings first. Have to agree on the curtains.... too wimpy a color, not enough LUSH fullness. If you're doing a "ready made", bunch together multiple panels. Double up on those side windows, and triple up!! on the large window. You'll disguise the lack of custom to a much greater degree. A soft white is fine and will throw light back into the room.
  • hace 11 años
    Rule of thumb...3 times fullness (meaning 3 times the width of the window if it is a cotton or linen...2 1/2 times fullness if you are using upholstery weight fabric!
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Mmmmmmmm A sheer with no lining could easily require four./five ready to hang panels each side of large window and three on the small. A lined cotton or linen with no interlining, 3 and 2 is probably plenty, and custom drapes in any cotton,silk/linen with lining and interlining you can get by with 2.5 and 1.5 widths each side of each. All of that is based on stationary panels. DO NOT SUCCUMB to upholstery weight goods. I don't care how much u love it, use it on a pillow or chair. There are too many other beautiful options and it is too heavy for hanging window treatments, is harder to fabricate well. Just don't do it. : )
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    I agree the comments above regarding the window treatments. Place the rod as high as you can just below the picture rail. There is nothing that gives polish to a room more than professionally made window coverings, lined and interlined if budget permits. If the budget is a concern and privacy or sun control an issue consider readymade curtains. Bunch together multiple pairs do get the desired fullness as recommended above or better yet have a local seamstress sew the ready made panels together. From your photo image it looks like your windows look out on a beautiful garden. If you do not have the budget to have custom curtains made at this time I would forgo window coverings altogether for now.
    The windows are lovely on their own and skimpy panels distract from the windows and the scale of the room.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Before we end up BFF'S here...know that if you want to change out the desk, a 42 inch square game table will work in the window where the desk is. When you want four for a game...yank it out. But most people find games get played at the kitchen table, near the fridge... and near a tv. The desk is a great spot for a game with two players, and everyone loves curling up near a coffee table, so I wouldn't seat that function too too much... HAPPIEST of holidays over and out : )
  • hace 11 años
    You might consider the timeless look of a roman shade. A simple slubbed linen in the color of the trim would add texture and interest with being fussy. Whether you choose a hobbled or soft roman select a brand that has a rod and rod pocket across the bottom so that they are easier to operate and hang neatly when pulled up without having to "dress" them every time you pull them up
  • hace 11 años
    what is the wall color?
  • hace 11 años
    You know the bookcase is not going to be up against the wall with all of that beautiful molding. I think i would have gone custon.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    dahall,
    The book case will be so close to the wall, an inch of gap it will be undetectable.,and this is a 2 pice bookcase unit of top and bottom.. To go custom for the same size effect, elevates her price by at least twice if not more. This scenario is NO different a situation than parking a big old china breakfront on one's dining room wall, where one very commonly has the exact same trim detail below a chair rail. Built-ins have their place. I think 100k will be happy when her selection arrives, and the room is fully finished to suit her tastes and needs.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    I'd leave the wall color but perhaps consider making the library the same color as the trim although the present scheme isn't so bad. Sofa color depends on your taste, but any traditional color would go with the gold walls, perhaps a sage green?
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Hi, Cheery Curtains offer both ready made and custom made curtains. Lots of designs here and I will attach some photos here.

For more curtain designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
  • hace 11 años
    I thought interior designers who were real professionals got paid for their time and ideas. It is curious to me about the postings presenting free plans and ideas. Good designers are too busy to be on this site giving free advice.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    EVERYbody has a suggestion. WhatEVER you do: DO NOT use "Pot Lights" - unless you REALLY like swiss cheese, 'cause that's what UR ceiling will look like. Find a real lighting designer for your illumination problems, and not one in a store!
  • hace 11 años
    If you can afford such lovely and expensive bookcases why don't you hire a professional decorator to help you finish the design for your room? You could hire one of the decorators who have provided suggestions and/or photos for you free of charge.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Or... and Interior Architect, even.
  • hace 11 años
    I am loving this discussion:-)) learning much. I am due to decorate our new house which is currently being custom built.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Answering homeowners questions is a way to raise the awareness of the value of working with a design professional and helps demystify the design process. Of course it is not possible to give the same kind of comprehensive design advice we give to clients. When homeowners post a question such as "what kind of coffee table should I buy" ? I look carefully at their photo image like I would any client's room and give as thorough an assessment of the space as I can given the limits of this type of internet format. A single item like a coffee table does not make or break a successful room. It is thoughtful consideration of all the elements of the room that produces a beautiful, comfortable and functional room or home. This format allows homeowners to test drive the advantages of working with a design professional and demonstrates some of the ways we work and engage our clients. These conversations with Houzzers design aficionados and homeowners help elevate interest in good design across the country and promote the design industry as a whole. I hope homeowners will research design professionals in their regions and more of them will realize the value in working with a designer to help realize a vision for their dream homes and gardens. It is about being a design ambassador, engaging in a conversation and giving back to the community.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Thumbs up to Tres McKinney! The most important thing to remember is no pro chooses a single element for any room in isolation. So while we can toss ideas out , the slightest tweak to another element could change our selection entirely. Houzz is an idea factory, but nothing is like an on site designer catering to the whole of your room and your house. You could do that virtually of course, but the dialogue and subsequent tweaks are just that. An ongoing relationship and dialogue!! And it is not possible here, where a thread will employ the thoughts and ideas of fifty to a hundred people, both pro and non. Much fun, often extremely helpful, but hardly the same as one on one designer/homeowner engaged in a common goal.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    The black bookcases against the yellow/gold walls will be a fabulous accent and can anchor the seating arrangement well. If you want a more casual room a medium tone brown leather sofa with accent pillows in red, gold and brown would look good - particularly in an Ikat pattern. This could also work with a fabric sofa.The style of the sofa will determine whether the room is traditional or an ecclectic mix of traditional with contemporary accents. Bringing in red tones on the pillows also echos the red backround of the area rug I see on the floor. More contemporary geometric fabrics on the pillows will further the ecclectic look with contemporary accents. If you are more daring a red sofa with bright gold and black geometric pillows could work but the red area rugs would then be out because the proportion of red would be too great. I would not introduce any more black except possibly a small amount on the pillows and in the rug.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.