Houzz Logo Print
nofutti

Front door opens directly to living room

nofutti
hace 9 años
We have an old craftsman with a front door in the middle of the room, flanked by windows on either side. Original set up was similar to first photo, with couch directly in front of door to create a sort of entry/pit stop (this was the staged photo from when we bought it, not our furniture). We copied this idea, but it made the whole room feel pretty cramped. We just rearranged and moved the couch under the window to skiers right, which opened up the room significantly. But now the front door literally opens right into the room and I can't figure out a way to define the entry from the main room. Another issue is that this room has the front door entry as well as three other doors leading off in each corner (to dining room, hall/bathroom/kitchen, and to back of house/stairwell/TV room). Add in the fireplace/mantel, and it seems awkward. I like the current set up with two chairs flanking the fireplace and couch under the window, but the space in between seems too large. A coffee table in front of the couch would potentially hinder the walkway from front door to stairwell, and a rug that extends to the couch might do the same (my husband thinks so at least). I've thought about putting a chair perpendicular to the couch in the corner where we have coat rack, to define the space, but then you would go from front door and be forced straight to living room. Right now that's what the ottoman's purpose is, to break it up a little (I know, it's funny perched on the corner of the rug). BTW - the rug worked well with the old setup, now it's a funny size. This is our main entry, hence the bench and boot tray, jacket hooks in corner, and sofa table on other side of windows for keys/mail...

Anyone have any suggestions on furniture arrangement? We are using a hodge podge of furniture now (forgive the mismatched colors/prints), with no plans to buy anything new. We have some extra classic wingback chairs to work with, but they seem to have too high of a profile for the entry, and we like the Eames chair near the mantel...

Thanks for any ideas!

Comentarios (5)

• acm
    hace 9 años
    I think that your furniture is too far out by being against the walls. Take a clue from the staged arrangement -- you want the backs of the couches (or whatever) to define "hallways" along the walls, with the seating gathered more cozily in the middle.

1) put couches/chairs on either side of the fireplace like the other people did, with your console table behind the closer couch in the "entry."

2) pull your couch forward until it meets the rug, letting the world walk around the seating area when getting from front door to coats to kitchen (or whatever's through that far door). your use of an ottoman as a fence indicates that you already recognize the utility of "protecting" the seating area from cross-traffic, so why not go all in and put your couch where it's itching to be (and let it reach that coffee table too)? :)

in the latter case, you might put your bench in the window as an impromptu window seat, or you might leave that space open or for plants or something. the utility of a space is not defined by the furniture at its margins. :))

Good luck. like both the space and the furniture you're starting with.
    nofutti agradeció a acm
  • PRO
    Pazzam Designs
    hace 9 años
    Your furniture is what I called arrested! It is up against the walls. I would pull the blue couch off the wall to the carpet in front of fireplace to join a grouping with chairs so there is a small walkway behind sofa. Put the Black tall credenza behind the blue sofa. Pull both chairs out away from fireplace so they are closer to couch now. Use blue long bench in front of the couch but put a tray on one side to break up the length. Use the wood round tables as end tables for each chair and the small round tuff in front of the green chair as a stool.
    nofutti agradeció a Pazzam Designs
  • OldGrayMare
    hace 9 años
    I agree! Drag that puppy up to the fireplace! Or sideways so the sofa back becomes the "wall" of your new "foyer".
    nofutti agradeció a OldGrayMare
  • nofutti
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks for the comments...we had the couch perpendicular to the fireplace with and without sofa table behind it, but it just felt like a very abrupt stop/semi wall upon entry to the house. There's not that much space when you put the furniture in that setup, and when having guests over it got really crowded right there, as they were forced to go left or right, but the door was blocking total movement to skiers right and into living room...It would be a sort of strange standing/talking over the couch that was separating us. And, we ended up flopping everything over onto the couch and never sitting there. I think something about having your back to the open (lots of windows) front door and porch never felt quite right. I did actually have people sneak up on me and my son when sitting there reading (mailmen, delivery people, etc). I do like the idea of pulling the couch forward to the rug, and walking behind it. I just did that but husband is protesting ha ha. He wants it open for our toddler to run around, and I think we still achieve that...
  • PRO
    Pazzam Designs
    hace 9 años
    As you the homeowner needs to feel the room let's look at another way! Let's spin the design layout everyone spoke of so the couch is perpendicular to the right side of the fireplace creating a hallway to the other room and the back of couch is facing the wall with the painting eliminating any sneak attacks. You will enjoy all windows and fireplace. Then position both chairs directly opposite the couch with the green closest to the fireplace as it is heavier in feel. The beautiful black one has a pretty shape it spins and can stand alone. Place the 2 wood nesting tables in front of couch. Use the tuff next to green chair with a tray as an end table. Put the Blue bench underneath the window where the couch was. When you have guests they can sit there and still feel part of the party. This should open up things when you walk in.
    nofutti agradeció a Pazzam Designs
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.