Houzz Logo Print
jennamsw

Something is off with this kitchen renovation... HELP!?

Jenna Nelson
hace 9 años
So we gutted our kitchen about a year and a half ago when we bought this new house. I went with antique white cabinets with a mocha glaze. The island is the same cabinets and the counter top is laminate (had a $5000 budget for the whole kitchen). The desk and bar area were oak cabinets which we painted black. The floor is bamboo. The backsplash is faux tin. I do love this kitchen but something seems off. I think it might be the paint color. The color is a greenish grey which I like but I'm thinking it's too cool for the warm cabinets. Any suggestions are welcome! Backsplash was super cheap and could also be changed. Thoughts?

Comentarios (36)

• PRO
    Labra Design Build
    hace 9 años
    I would suggest adding lighting around the ceiling highlighting the cabinetry and under cabinet lighting highlighting the tin. Then hanging a fixture over the island for decoration. Not too bright on that fixture as it will be close to the eyes. Lighting is critical to a great looking kitchen.
    Jenna Nelson agradeció a Labra Design Build
  • Sally Pascale
    hace 9 años
    Lighting is a good idea... it looks a bit dark. You could switch your paint color to something a little warmer, perhaps a mocha that is neutral bot not boring. I like the backsplash
    Jenna Nelson agradeció a Sally Pascale
  • Andrea M.
    hace 9 años
    I like your kitchen (esp backsplash) but go with your gut regarding a color change. Maybe try blue and brighten up window treatment and chandelier. Agree with other comments...lighting goes a long way.
    Jenna Nelson agradeció a Andrea M.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Agree with lighting, it makes a huge difference. The fabric valance is blocking natural light, so when you paint the walls get something sheer that will offer privacy but let in the light.
    Jenna Nelson agradeció a User
  • hayleydaniels
    hace 9 años
    If you can still get the tin backsplash, take and put it all the way around the window. It will add a lot of personality, and bring consistency to the sink area.

Sartell Kitchen · Más información

Paton Terrace Kitchen · Más información

Paint the trim around your window the same cream as the cabinets as the white and cream clash. The green looks fine.
    Jenna Nelson agradeció a hayleydaniels
  • cabingirl13
    hace 9 años
    I agree- I think the tin backsplash does not go well with everything else- especially the wall color. Not sure if subway tile is in the budget but that would look quite nice.
    Jenna Nelson agradeció a cabingirl13
  • Theresa Holt
    hace 9 años
    I like the idea of adding more tin tile up to the ceiling on the window wall. I'd also antique the tin so it does not scream at you "I'm brand new."
    Jenna Nelson agradeció a Theresa Holt
  • OldGrayMare
    hace 9 años
    I would lose the window valance...it's just competing for attention with the backsplash and the color and the cabinets. if you need something for privacy, consider a simple white (or same color as trim) top-down/bottom-up shade. They are great.
    And the more I look, I think the tin backsplash doesn't work as well as maybe you thought at first. I'm going to join the plain subway tile contingent on this one. it's a beautiful kitchen and you did an amazing job with that teensy budget and you should be proud of yourself. It just needs tweaking.
    Jenna Nelson agradeció a OldGrayMare
  • makaloco
    hace 9 años
    The cool-warm combinations would bother me. If I could only make ONE inexpensive change, it would be the window valance fabric, which strikes me as too busy with the backsplash. A solid would probably look better. Second would be the backsplash itself. I do like it, and it blends well with the stainless appliances, but not so well with the cabinets or counter. Third would be the paint color. I'm not a fan of green in the kitchen in general, but in this case I think it enhances the "off-ness" of the cool metallic finishes with the warm cabinets, counter, and floor. The tan-beige on the divider between the black cabinets (third photo) might look good, but I'd suggest leaving the paint choice until after you make the other decisions.
    Jenna Nelson agradeció a makaloco
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 9 años
    i think the tin is paintable if you like the design but not the color.
  • PRO
    Pazzam Designs
    hace 9 años
    You have too many elements that do not coordinate together in scale. You started off beautifully with the traditional cabinets, accenting with the black cabinets, using stainless steel appliances but where you went off track was the tin tiles. IT is too heavy and out of scale. If you love them then use them sparingly, say as a base along the counter and use another tile in the field. The texture, the reflective quality and the size are making your eye not rest. The pattern in the tin is competing with your valence pattern. The green tone is cold like the tin you need to use a warm tone to soften the harsh tin.
    Jenna Nelson agradeció a Pazzam Designs
  • Anne
    hace 9 años
    I agree with some of the previous posters--lose the tin backsplash and the valance. You did an awesome job with such a small budget. Now's the time to take it to the next level with a simple creamy tile backsplash and window treatment. Maybe a simple roman shade? I like the green paint.
    Jenna Nelson agradeció a Anne
  • acm
    hace 9 años
    Yeah. nice look, but tin is a sort of "country" look that doesn't go well with the more modern/classic look of the rest of the finishes. you'll be happier with white or grey simple tiles in the splash zone.
    Jenna Nelson agradeció a acm
  • apple_pie_order
    hace 9 años
    it'd be pretty easy and quick to test a few of the ideas suggested above. Cover the tin with white paper (except behind the stove where paper might catch on fire), remove the valence, turn on all the lights and take new photos. Post the results for more comments.
    Jenna Nelson agradeció a apple_pie_order
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años
    I think there is a pretty good consensus. I love tin on old high ceilings & have thought of it myself when I did a kitchen redo for the backsplash, however this is the main culprit. I would go with inexpensive porcelain most used (and for good reason) off-white subway tiles. Classic and never wrong. You can go with flat, shiney, tightly laid running bond pattern. Keep the grout light maybe same as your glazed cabinets. Gorgeous job with so little money. I definitely recommend more lighting. Not sure what you have, but an over the sink pendant, maybe 2 matching pendants over the island & if you do not have under cabinet lights go for LED. These last the longest, create the smallest amount of heat & are fairly economical now. Lights are the most forgotten element in good kitchen design. Ikea has the greatest panels of net mesh-like panels of curtains. They are 3.99 a pair (way more than you can use, but maybe you can find other places for the excess) are white you cut the length you want, no hemming. These can be hung on the lower portion of your window, hang them full on a small tension rod. See what a difference that will make. I have a niece who used these in her very meticulously done new kitchen with top of the line appliances and they just finished off the kitchen beautifully. Repaint last thing if you feel you need to.
    Jenna Nelson agradeció a sandradclark
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años
    You can get the LED lighting & pendants at Ikea as well.
    Jenna Nelson agradeció a sandradclark
  • Melissa Lawhon
    hace 9 años
    I'd say the tin is the culprit. If you change the valence so it doesn't compete, I think it will still not look right with the counter top.
    Jenna Nelson agradeció a Melissa Lawhon
  • Jenna Nelson
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you so much for the advice!! It's good to know that changing the backsplash could make a huge impact. My husband did this renovation/install all himself so I know bringing up the idea of making this change wont happen right away----but I'm gonna keep the ideas ready for a year or so from now! Ha! Subway tile would be awesome and a different window treatment would be easy too. I felt like the pics didn't really do justice--- So I cleared the clutter and got out my good camera--- Here are some more pics! Does the better lighting in the pic make the backsplash look any less loud? This is so fun to get feedback on Houzz!! :)
  • Theresa Holt
    hace 9 años
    lol Jenna...if I were judging this in say...the Labrador ring...I'd kick it (the backsplash) out for lack of merit.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    The backsplash doesn't go with the rest of the kitchen. It's not just that it ends half-way up on the left-side of the window. This is a problem, but the entire backsplash with its complex design and shiny texture is fighting with the counterops and cabinet.

Consider removing the backsplash altogether and just go with paint. Your cabinets and counters will really stand out.
  • Tania Summers
    hace 9 años
    I think the lighting only confirms that the off white cabinets and backsplash are clashing. Definitely change it out when you are able to.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Fantastic job on a budget! Replacing your valance with a simple pattern that has the black of your painted oak, the silver of your tin backsplash and the warm cream of your cabinetry would be nice, and helpful in picking a paint color for your walls. Another trick with the valance would be to hang it up at the ceiling to just over the window trim. The windows would look more balanced with the cabinetry that way. I think the tin is a neat idea for a budget backsplash. Maybe you can keep it up there until you change the paint color, and then see what you think. I know it isn't cheap, but switching out the darker cabinet hardware for stainless would tie in with your appliances as well as the tin backsplash. I am just impressed with what you managed for only $5000.
  • Victoria Wirtz
    hace 9 años
    Agree the paint and faux tin back splash does not work. Recommend picking up a color from the island counter for the wall, change the backsplash and if you can add trim around the window. You may not need a valance at all with the right trim.
  • makaloco
    hace 9 años
    Lighting makes such a difference. In the well lit photo, it's interesting how the stainless appliances warm up, while the backsplash is still relentlessly cold and metallic. Based on that photo, I'd recant my earlier statement that the backsplash works well with the stainless. In the dimmer lighting, everything blends better because the counters look grayish and nothing else stands out.
  • sootsprite
    hace 9 años
    If you removed the tin tiles around the sink, so the tiles were just under the cabinets, it would look better. Is there a way to "antique" them to tone them down?
  • happyleg
    hace 9 años
    I like your tile tin. I don't like the rug, too busy with everything else.
  • gtcircus
    hace 9 años
    You can paint the tin backsplash or perhaps tone it down first with a dark mocha glaze. I am not crazy about the wall color and think it competes with the cabinets and backsplash. I would vote on tile, subway also.
  • Jenna Nelson
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Ok ladies--- I think I could talk my husband into painting the tin backsplash and then do subway tile yrs down the road when we add granite counters. Questions: what kind if paint would I use? and what color should I do? try and match the cabinets or a soft white?! help!!
  • happyleg
    hace 9 años
    Match it to counter top color. Latex paint enamel semi-gloss.
  • erincarmody
    hace 9 años
    You are probably thrown off by the backsplash you chose. While really nice on their own the metallic is too cold for the warm tone of your glazed cabinets.
  • mmdugaw
    hace 9 años
    One more small comment, the rug in front of the sink really clashes, you can get one with just two colors from Target or Homegoods that would look great. Lighting makes room look great except for that poor backsplash that tried so hard! Great job.
  • happyleg
    hace 9 años
    Yes I said that earlier about the rug! And agree you need lighting.
  • PRO
    Interior Therapy! and ReVamp
    hace 9 años
    I agree with those who voice an opinion about the backsplash...it would be best reworked. The warm cream cabinetry and handsome black cabinetry need to be married! How about a black and creamy white basketweave pattern tile. Paint the wall area a spicey paprika color and opt for a linen valance that begins at the cabinet level and has a horizontal band of black. I think things will calm down and your beautiful kitchen will really please you. Good luck!
  • happyleg
    hace 9 años
    Oh, that sounds good!
  • PRO
    Pazzam Designs
    hace 9 años
    When one adds up the cost of paint and time for "covering up" the tin u would be a missed to stop and do what u really want. The secret is to find tile deals in your neighborhood. the area is so small it won't take much tile. Look at ur local habitat for humanity store, tile stores discount pile or online discount, it will be cheaper then paint and a fun project for ur hubby & u!
    Jenna Nelson agradeció a Pazzam Designs
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.