Houzz Logo Print
eddielicious

what kind of window treatment to use in a shower

hace 11 años
última modificación:hace 11 años
This is the only window in this small bathroom. It is IN the shower. See the neighbors house in the background? I don't want to use film on the window, nor do I want to block the sunlight. The inside of the window/sill is framed in tile to make it waterproof. Any ideas? Any products like roller shades that can be mounted inside the sill without screws? Thanks

Comentarios (18)

• PRO
    hace 11 años
    Film the bottom half of the window. Contact a window and door shop.
  • hace 11 años
    I would frost the window they make contact paper you can apply to the window or spray paint that easily frosts it so that light still comes in but you cant see through it.
  • hace 11 años
    1. idea is to just have a window shop replace the glass with frosted glass. 2. You might see if there is some sort of a insert with blinds ( I have seen doors like that)
  • hace 11 años
    You can still add some kind of blind if you want to....you just need to drill holes with a masonary bit and plug the holes with anchors.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    I would definitely add an inside mount shade. Use a solar shade fabric that has a vinyl/linen blend. This will give you the privacy you want and diffused light needed.
  • hace 11 años
    A tension rod mounted halfway up could have a sill-length nylon or vinyl curtain cut down from a full size shower curtain. This is a traditional solution to showers with windows, especially when showers were added to previously existing bathtubs. Here's a link to ready made bathroom window curtains: http://www.amazon.com/Carnation-Home-Fashions-Bathroom-Curtain/dp/B002XQ2LGK

Otherwise, I'd try film, the Contact paper variety, even though you may not like it initially.

And keep an extra towel in the bathroom to wipe the window down after every shower.
  • hace 11 años
    I would replace the glass with a translucent variety - wavy, frosted, crackled ice.
    I would think that any kind of window covering inside the shower space would be prone to mildew.
  • hace 11 años
    Apple-pie-order makes a good point. DRY that window and surround after EVERY shower.
  • hace 11 años
    My contractor suggested that I replace the glass in the bottom of the window with something frosted or translucent and leave the top half clear glass. It doesn't appear privacy would be a problem... at worst, the top of your head would show...but most of the day, you'd get the natural light.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Super cheap and simple answer would be to use window frosting/glazing over the panes. You can have them professionally applied or even give it a go yourself. I tend to steer clear of window treatments in bathrooms.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I would suggest the frosted film. It is sold at large home improvement stores and, once you get the hang of it (watch a couple of youtube installation videos for tricks and tips for a professional result), you'll be applying and UV (tint) film to the rest of your windows which goes on with the exact same process. It is MUCH easier than you think and MUCH cheaper than replacing the glass. Stay away from the spray can frosting products. On a small craft project they are fine, but on even a small window, the results will be horribly uneven. The frosted film has the added benefit of essentially laminating the inside of the glass. While the window in the shower should be tempered glass (which makes it more flexible and less brittle), if somehow it were to break, the film will keep it in one big shattered piece rather than dropping shards of glass on and around your bare feet. You may have seen pictures of car windshields which have been shattered in an accident, they are laminated glass. Rather than disintegrating into a thousand pieces and raining down into the driver compartment like standard glass, they stay in one large flexible piece for the most part.
  • hace 8 años

I have frosted glass in my shower window and it handles the privacy issue nicely.

However, at night, when the bathroom lights are on you have what appears to be a black rectangular, or square shaped "hole" in your wall, because it is dark outside, because the window is not covered. Would like something just for the esthetics of the overall bathroom.

I would like to have something that could close off window for this reason.

• PRO
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

You should check this with a local qualified pro, but pretty much every state building code in the US requires glazing in a wall around a wet location like that to have safety glazing within 60" of the floor surface (IRC R308.4.5) so unless it already is compliant (again, check with a local pro), you may as well go the route of replacing, or at least laminating the bottom if not top sash with new glazing that meets the code requirement AND provides the privacy and light needs that you have.

• PRO
    hace 8 años

The glass needs to be tempered glass when in the shower. And if you are re-ordering the sashes (the part of the window that moves) you might as well reorder it in privacy glass which is etched. Any treatment in there is going to need a lot of washing to prevent mold. You don't want mold in a shower -you can breathe it in easily with the steam.

• hace 8 años

I have a frosted glass window but it needs a nice curtain to give it some color. I'm thinking about having a curtain made from Sunbrella fabric.

• hace 8 años

Jetobin52 - can you please start a dilemma that is separate from this one, and post some pictures.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.