Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

DryLok vs Behr

andrelaplume2
hace 16 años

I am going to paint our poured concrete basement walls. We have no mositure problems but I figure I'd use Drylok or the similar Behr waterproofing paint since I understand it custs down on humidity in the basement. Anyone have an experience with wither of these products? Whats the spread rate? Is one any better tahn the other?

Comentarios (10)

• Faron79
    hace 16 años

It's messy, but first you GOTTA clean & rinse your walls.
    * Drylock is a good, proven product that holds back lotsa vapor-pressure.
    * Latex version actually works best!
    * After walls are clean & dry, 1st-coat must be brushed on to work it into the pores. You'll average maybe a 100sf for the 1st gallon.
    * Second coat can be rolled, & will go about twice as far.

Most water-vapor penetration comes into a home through the floor surprisingly, since it's deeper. Obviously though, after a heavy rain, movement through walls is faster.

Faron

• andrelaplume2
    Autor original
    hace 16 años

Ahh! An expert. We have never had any visible seepage or anything but we do run a humidifier. I figure I'd spend the extra on a waterproof product to try an cut down on the humidity. Do you think its overkill? Will carpet reduce the moisture permiating thru the floor or should it be sealed first too? We do not have concrete block but rather a smooth poured finish....do I still need to brush or can I roll? HOw do you clean? There is no scaling or anything...do we just sweep down the walls to remove any dust? Thanks!

• andrelaplume2
    Autor original
    hace 16 años

we have a radon susyem. We have a dehumidifier that fills every day or other day. So, I should start by wiping down the area with a sponge?

• Faron79
    hace 16 años

Andrela,
    See my previous post...yep...BUT, you gotta SCRUB-'em for best Drylock penetration. See also the UGL website link.

Faron

• andrelaplume2
    Autor original
    hace 16 años

OK, HD has $20 off 5 gallon BEHR products. Back to my original question, Is the BEHR stuff just as good. 5 gallons Drylok is $96 where as the Behr product is $104---but with $20 its only $84.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    hace 16 años

Stick with the proven Drylock

• PRO
    Gralak Construction Co
    hace 9 años

In Chicago area the waterproofing of the masonry walls is necessary because the harsh Midwestern climate conditions. I am the owner of Gralak Waterproofing Masonry and Tuckpointing Company (www.gralak-tuckpointing.com) since 1991 with the Certificate of Licensed Mason in City of Chicago.
    We are specializing in the most challenging CMU's (Concrete Masonry Units) masonry walls.
    According to our experience ,the best results and efficiency sealants are two products .
    #1 is the Enviroseal PBT (Hydrozo/BASF) water repellent ,because prevents the moisture intrusion with high resistance to wind-driven rains and has highest degree of water repellent for CMU's.The BASF product has the lowest VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) in the industry.
    When we have waterproofing projects on the residential condominium buildings association with families and older people,always the most important is creating the safest environmental conditions during and after our jobs.

• PRO
  • PRO
    Gralak Construction Co
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años

The masonry walls waterproofing,tuckpointing and sealing by licensed mason contractors in Chicago area since 1991.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.