organic_smallhome

How to Remove Vinyl Tile Adhesive from old Ceramic Tiles?

organic_smallhome
hace 16 años

We just discovered that beneath the old peel-and-stick vinyl tiles in our small 1930s bathroom is the original tile (ceramic?) floor. When I peel up a tile, however, there's all kinds of sticky gunk left on the surface of the original tile. Is there a secret to removing this stuff so that the original tiles aren't damaged? Something eco-friendly, preferably? Also, will original tiles need to be regrouted and reglazed? If any of this is possible/necessary, should I do it myself or hire a professional?

Thanks very much for any advice.

Comentarios (8)

• Circus Peanut
    hace 16 años

I haven't had to do this myself, thankfully, but some folks seem to have had success using their infrared paint remover, which basically liquifies the gunk in order to scrape it off. The tool is pricey at $300 but rental is also possible.

The original tile looks worth it! Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: silent paint remover review

• floorguy
    hace 16 años

Mineral spirtits, a plastic scraper like a windshield ice scraper, and a lot of towels.

• organic_smallhome
    Autor original
    hace 16 años

Thanks for the feedback. :)

floorguy: Do you think these are ceramic tiles? Will the tile then need to be regrouted and resealed?

• glennsfc
    hace 16 años

Get down there are try and scrape one with a sharp implement. If they are not ceramic, you will be able to easily cut or gouge the tile.

• slateberry
    hace 14 años

I am in the same boat. peel-and-stick tiles over linoleum (the pretty kind, similar to today's marmoleum). I was worried that any product I used to remove the adhesive would also etch the linoleum. I tried the real milk paint co.'s citrus solvent. Not only did it strip the adhesive without damaging the linoleum underneath, but it's safer than mineral spirits or paint thinner, the other things I was going to try if it didn't work. It's basically just orange oil. Pleasant smell, no noxious fumes. I still have to take care that the rags don't spontaneously combust, but I am very happy to have an easy solution.

• PRO
    Katejames246
    hace 2 años

I’m just about to do the same did anything work?

• Brian Everingham
    el último año

I just removed old vinyl tile adhesive from bathroom tiles like these. My tiles ended up being unglazed porcelain tiles from the mid 1950's. I used a wallpaper steamer to heat up and liquify the adhesive. I then scraped as much of it off with a razor blade scraper followed by scrubbing with some steel wool to get the glue out of the grout lines. Finally I wiped up the residue with a clean rag. It took me about 3 to 4 hours to do my 5ft x5ft bathroom. I also tried acetone and steel wool as a removal technique and it worked pretty well too, but ultimately I went with the steamer as it seemed less expensive and less hazardous than soaking the whole floor in acefone

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.