Houzz Logo Print
kristigil

Kitchen needs a 21st century remodel!

kristigil
hace 11 años
Taking the kitchen from retro 1954 to a bright, open, and contemporary space.
Strongly dislike the upper cabinets and moldings and counters. Would like to open up "pass through" to the dining space.
What would you do?

Comentarios (8)

• Darzy
    hace 11 años
    Gee...I think all you need to do is replace the stove with a new stainless steel and replace your 50s diner table with a "bar height" 3 piece stainless looking bar set. Then..to me it will look updated contemporary.
  • Sherry Mau
    hace 11 años
    I really like modern, funky, cottage, contemporary styling, so when i first looked at your kitchen i really liked it. I do agree with Darzy about switching out the stove. I would probably change the red paint to something a little less bold like white or gray. change the painting out with either a mirror or framed chalkboard. i kinda like the table but maybe put in a more modern light fixture.
  • charleee
    hace 11 años
    Your pictures don't enlarge so it's kind of hard to see everything. If you dislike your upper cabinets, instead of replacing them just remove the doors and paint the insides: [houzz=
    Open Shelving in Kitchen · Más información
    ]
    Change the paint color on everything above the countertops to white; and change all the red to white, too. Replace your retro dining set to something more modern:
    Paradise Dining Set · Más información
  • PRO
    Susan Jablon Mosaics
    hace 11 años
    Starting with a stainless stove is a good idea. I would also add a clean, modern glass tile backsplash to the whole wall that the cabinets are on. Then you may even want to keep the red on the other walls as an accent color (if you like the red), or change to a different accent color. A modern clean lined dining set would also be nice, maybe in espresso to match your cabinets. Not sure where the pass through to the dining area is, more photos would probably help that dilemma be addressed.
  • User
    hace 11 años
    A stainless hood with chimney above your new range always creates a wow factor. Many companies make them Cavalier has a fairly reasonably priced one.
  • PRO
    Jacobs Woodworks
    hace 11 años
    To keep it funky but transition to a more contemporary style, you could consider introducing modern-inspired furniture once you get the walls and cabinets situated. We recently completed a project where we upgraded classic bend-laminated chairs for a kitchen. Here's an example of the style that might look neat in your new space: http://www.curatedmag.com/news/2009/11/19/swiss-plywood-dining-set/. Good luck!
  • Natalie
    hace 11 años
    Hi---nice space. I suggest covering up the entire red area between the lower and upper cabinets with a blended tile that has both warm and cool tones to coordinate with counters and floor. Paint the walls in the eat-in area with any color taken from the tile. Good Luck! Pics for inspiration...[houzz=
    Contemporary Kitchen Tile · Más información
    ][houzz=
    Living Room · Más información
    ]
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.