Houzz Logo Print
thetrophybearer

Need accent wall color suggestion!

Andrew
hace 11 años
última modificación:hace 11 años
I want to paint an accent wall in my kitchen on the south wall like my living room which now has an "Aztec red" accent wall as seen in the image. My kitchen walls are now painted with "flora yellow". The kitchen has white cabinets with stainless appliances and a black/dark gray counter tops. Any suggestions on good colors for an accent wall? Thanks!!

Comentarios (51)

• Andrew
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    It is actually a really light tan. Kinda hard to get an exact color representation from a camera phone. But you can see white ceiling with the tan wall.
  • Kimberly Hogan_Castillo
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Pull the color out of your rug...In the back room yes that's it..Light to med brown
  • Chandani
    hace 11 años
    My first thought- and you probably will not like it, is to paint the kitchen the same colour as your hallway and use the same red as an accent wall. This will help unify the spaces. If you want a different accent wall colour in the kitchen, a greyed down teal would look great with the tan and Aztec red (which I'm assuming is a brick/rusty red).
  • PRO
    D/O
    hace 11 años
    With white cabinets, and lots of natural light, it might be fun to do a magnetic chalkboard paint wall. It's fun to have that lively surface in a kitchen space.
  • Andrew
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    I like the white board idea. Would just using the Aztec red be too much of contrast with the rest of the kitchen colors?
  • anitajoyce
    hace 11 años
    How about a tan color. Or maybe a mustard color.
  • Jean Adams
    hace 11 años
    Of course I love the yellows honeysuckle is nice Sherman Willams paint.
  • Andrew
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    I have a gray in the bathroom to bring out the gray streaks in the marble tile. Maybe the same color gray can bring out the stainless/counters.
  • simplify52
    hace 11 años
    I think the red would look very nice with your kitchen.
  • Natalie
    hace 11 años
    Hi---I'd add a glass tiled backsplash in a spice color-first photo... Second photo is color scheme throughout---spice, tan/beige, red, and warm green accents. Hope this is helpful! ouzz=
    Funky Orange Kitchen · Más información
    ][houzz=
    Butternut Residence · Más información
    ]
  • intoit
    hace 11 años
    The red would spice up your kitchen and be most appetizing.
  • Teresa Fell
    hace 11 años
    Saw this tile on the lowes website. Seems to have all your colors.
  • Paul & Shari
    hace 11 años
    I agree with Natalie! Get some POP in that room with an awesome backsplash! We've done brick bond glass, random slate, something to pull your colours together!
  • Andrew
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Great suggestions guys, I am going to look into the back splash tiles today!
  • Natalie
    hace 11 años
    Nothing too busy... [houzz=
    Mardi Gras glass 'Bourbon' · Más información
    ] [houzz=
    Cove Finishings Hand Painted 1x1 Glass Mosaic Tiles · Más información
    ]
  • Shauna Olsen
    hace 11 años
    I like the suggestion of the teal/grey.... but I would lean towards torquise grey ...I love "rattan" from Benjamin Moore as a neutral base.
  • vsegura
    hace 11 años
    taupe or carmel, will also complement the red room
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    hace 11 años
    Yes backsplash would be very important to choose before you choose your accent colour paint. When you do paint, don't just do that one wall, look at the structure, and paint that entire wall which will always have three sides - so that your colour will flow in and out of that room.

If the accent colour is too bold, then choose an accent that can be painted on that 3 (or 4) sided wall. See below for inspiration on accent colour - very important to get it right. Is well worth it to have a professional come out and help you get it right the first time. Helps to create continuity and flow from room to room. Good Luck!
  • eileenforsyth
    hace 11 años
    I have original wood trim like yours in my 100 year old house that I am reluctant to change, even though I prefer white. I, too, installed white cabinets to brighten my kitchen. My suggestion (this worked great for me) was to select a rich, medium-toned warm gray - it works with wood and white and looks rich and comforting. I agree that a back splash will be important, and suggest inexpensive white marble subway tiles for a classic look. I got mine at Home Depot and love them - just dig through the boxes to find the ones with some veining to keep things interesting. Good luck and keep us posted!
  • janishill
    hace 11 años
    To compliment your dark gray counter tops, white cabinets, stainless steel appliances (cool colors) and your original wood trim (warm color) as well as the Aztec red wall, the tan in the hallway and the pale yellow already on the kitchen walls use this shade (or a similar shade) of green: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/mountainlane

It is the perfect earth tone to marry the various colors and tones you already have.

Hope you post updates! :-)
  • Andrew
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am considering them all and giving it some thought. I will start this over thanksgiving break and make sure to give updates!
  • Andrew
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    What about this tile from Home Depot? I like the brushed aluminum in there to match my appliances. I just wish it had a few black tiles.
  • janishill
    hace 11 años
    I am a little confused. Are we talking about an accent wall or backsplash?

I do like the tiles for backsplash....
  • k8edid
    hace 11 años
    Maybe an interesting wall paper would be the wat Togo. Incorporate colors from all areas.
  • Andrew
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Originally started to talk about colors for an accent wall but a backsplash was also suggested to add color.
  • PRO
    Welcome Home designs
    hace 11 años
    I like the tiles you picked for the backsplash. My only suggestion would be to make sure the counter top, the backsplash and your flooring have complementary colours. Don't match to just your appliances. Once you have your tiles picked then you can decide on a paint colour. I think you should paint the whole kitchen one colour so that the cabinets pop out and your room appears more unified
  • Angela Sargenti
    hace 11 años
    Pumpkin color would look gorgeous with that yellow.
  • PRO
    Cole Barnett Interiors
    hace 11 años
    I just did this kitchen remodel and the client loves the colors! She also has red accents in her living room. The dark color we used on the dark accent wall is Benjamin Moore Stormy Sky. The white is Benjamin Moore Pure White and the other walls in the kitchen (left side) are Benjamin Moore Barren Plain. The back splash is white subway tile with white grout.
  • karenpul
    hace 11 años
    I love revere pewter by Ben Moore. It's a great grey color that you could try in your kitchen. The cream color is not a good color with the white and stainless. Do a grey with a tan or red accent.
  • mcbriec
    hace 11 años
    I agree with the idea of painting the kitchen a pewter color which would look beautiful with the tile backsplash you picked out.
  • Elmer Turrill
    hace 11 años
    I have oak cabinets and black brown grey counter tops with white floor tile what color would I paint my walls would like one accent wall.
  • PRO
    Cole Barnett Interiors
    hace 11 años
    Elmer, do you have a photo of your space?
  • donadona53
    hace 11 años
    @Cole Barnett Interiors: I love the pendant globe light in the kitchen you did...can you share where it is from?
  • PRO
    Cole Barnett Interiors
    hace 11 años
    It's from CB2. The firefly pendant. :)
  • Heidi Dunbar
    hace 11 años
    I did my kitchen, family room, and all bathrooms and my master in a pale green, I love it and is so relaxing to be in and it also make it bright, without painting white.
  • donadona53
    hace 11 años
    Thanks Cole!
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    hace 11 años
    Like the earth tones suggested by Natalie
  • PRO
    Carol J. Guess & Associates Design
    hace 11 años
    the lowes tile suggest is great-take the accent color from there and definately paint around the cabinets to really create accent look - long wall needs to stay with hall color and that does need to be a bit richer in color- more taupy beige- not a frustrated white where you can not tell what color it is. now take over and put some geenery at the edge of ledge by frig and other side for warmth and bringing a liitle nature green accent. I think a kitchen needs to say "pretty" and defined.
  • czehner
    hace 11 años
    Try Rust or Red - It would be beautiful!!!
  • alwaysdesigning
    hace 11 años
    Also agree that a lively backsplash is needed and that the red rust tone from the living wall could come into this space, or not. Your backsplash will determine your kitchen colors and pull the accent color from there, which can also complement your red rust wall and not necessarily the same shade or tone. It could be a sage or a blue. Choose a backsplash that has that red color in it but other colors as well that you can choose from. Good luck
  • thomastkotz
    hace 11 años
    I love the idea of accent walls but the effects can vary widely depending on a few things
    Here are some rules that have worked for me:
    If you darken the walls where the windows are (that bring a lot of light) you will likely feel the room more spacious. If you darken the opposite wall, the effect will be the opposite
    If the room is long, i.e. one wall is less than 50% to 60% of the adjacent wall (e.g 10ftX20ft room) making the small wall darker may make the room feel longer. Making the large wall darker may make the room feel wider.
    As a general rule, hallways are risky business to paint any wall darker (just be carefull, that's what I mean)
    If you have the majority of the wall covered by cabinets or other pieces, dark accent colors would make the pieces stand out enormously.
    Any wall works well as an accent wall for rooms with higher ceilings.
    I've had amazing effets painting valted ceilings with accent collors, especially considering where natural light comes from.

Works for me, see what you think.

I would with a light taupe, as suggested before.

Good luck
  • Elmer Turrill
    hace 11 años
    The pendant came from the light house Trenton Mi .
  • Elmer Turrill
    hace 11 años
    The pendant came from the light house Trenton Mi .
  • Andrew
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Decided to go with a 2"x4" white tile back splash. I painted the walls white and the accent wall a gray. I am very happy with the results. The white walls make the room feel brighter. Best of all, all said and done it only cost me about $150. Thanks everyone for their input!!
  • Andrew
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    During the build.
  • Andrew
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    During the build.
  • beckyw30
    hace 11 años
    What color is that gray paint you used. Is it a blue gray? Looks nice!
  • Andrew
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    It is called trail print by Behr.
  • huynhhai
    hace 11 años
    I like the tiles you picked for the backsplash. My only suggestion would be to make sure the counter top, the backsplash and your flooring have complementary colours. Don't match to just your appliances. Once you have your tiles picked then you can decide on a paint colour. I think you should paint the whole kitchen one colour so that the cabinets pop out and your room appears more unified http://vienne.co/tui-xach-thoi-trang
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.