Houzz Logo Print
jane42_gw

Wall ovens and blasting of hot air into kitchen

jane42
hace 15 años

I am redoing my kitchen and very much appreciate some of the great tips I read on here.

I'm happy with everything so far except that I feel I've wasted $2600 of my budget on a KitchenAid Architect double micro/convection wall oven.

Even on regular bake, after three uses at only 375 degrees, it has blasted hot air into my kitchen through a vent the entire time the oven was on and continued to blast away for an hour after being turned off. After only an hour at 375 degrees, it raised the temperature in my kitchen by 3-4 degrees, which will render it unusable for much of the year in Philly, not to mention the wasted energy and the annoyance of hot air blasting in your face when you look inside the oven.

KitchenAid claims this is normal and neither the company nor my dealer will take action.

Do others have this problem? Are there wall ovens that don't do this? My 10-15 year old basic GE model didn't. I'm waxing nostalgic for it even though it heated unevenly.

Comentarios (76)

• Joanne Cassidy
    hace 3 años

I have the same heat problem with a new GE double wall oven. The tech says it is OK to blow out 200 degree air into the kitchen. Like everyone else, no one told me about this when I bought it.

• aishub
    hace 3 años

What is the solution? I decided to use a 2 pronged approach that may, or may not work for others, but I had to do something before my house melted down from the excessive heat my Bosch wall oven produced!

I now place a couple of fans before, and after the wall oven area when using it. This helps dissipate the extra heat being produced by the oven coming out in hot gusts of air. Secondly, I have increased the size of the return air duct, and the return grill in the passage adjacent to the kitchen so now the fan extracted/moved air can be directly taken back up into the air conditioning system. Dissipating air with a fan’s ability to move air from its back to the front, cools things down quicker and spreads out the focused area of heat.

• No Name
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

Every oven, including the garden-variety big-box-store models, with the exception of small countertop toaster and roaster ovens, I've ever seen has had some kind of vent hole, which is said to keep heat from building up at the top of the oven and to keep moisture and smoke from building up inside the oven. It's possible that when cooking items that don't require an even temperature, don't produce much smoke and won't be adversely affected by moisture (pies??), blocking this vent with aluminum foil would avoid heating up the kitchen without affecting the quality of the food. But, I can't say how the uneven heat or moisture would affect the longevity of the heating elements. It would be nice if some models had closable vents. I suspect that putting a "ceiling fan" inside the oven would mitigate the uneven temperature problem; do some so-called "convection ovens" operate this way, or do all of the have fans on he side? Even a fan on the side might be enough to keep the temperature even without a vent.

• Usuario de Houzz-894624893
    hace 2 años

Yes, i cannot use my oven in the summer and its frustrating

• Usuario de Houzz-259347281
    hace 2 años

Just had mine installed. Same problem. I was told not to self-clean more than once/year. It’s very hot at 350 for one hour. A turkey dinner at five hours, or a pizza at 500 is unimaginable. Very dissatisfied. If a small child touched the door, they would burn their hand.

• Joy Jordan
    hace 2 años

Last spring we upgraded the 21 year old wall oven with a new GE Convection oven. While I do like how well it is lit and how easy the racks slide out I am extremely disappointed with the amount of heat that is blown out from the bottom of the unit and into my kitchen. I thought it might be because it is a wall oven and not a range like I was used to in previous homes. The excess heat makes the kitchen darn near unusable, even when using extra floor fans. I dread having to turn it on at all during the summer months and have resorted to using a toaster oven and a counter top smokeless grill for meal prep. Just as the rest of you I wish someone had mentioned this before I spent a small fortune. Very disappointed in Arizona. :(

• Avi Shmueli
    hace 2 años

This is a serious, annoying problem. Some responses in this thread say that modern ovens must do this to protect the electronics. That may be true, but then it's better to not have the electrnics. This is not just a matter of temperature and inefficiency, it's also an issue with noise. For the frequent baker this is very frustrating. Gas or electric is not the issue -- even modern gas ovens use electronic controls now and have the same fan. Dacor may have a solution to this, but boy we had a Dacor oven and the convection fan was so very loud that it didn't matter if the exhaust fan was not working extra. And let's not gaslight those of us who remember when overs were silent and did not blow hot air right into the kitchen. Yes, the hot air must dissipate, but using blowers to make sure it dissipates vigorously as a furnace is a problem.

• Joy Jordan
    hace 2 años

This is a question rather than a comment. Do all wall ovens blow heat from the bottom, of the unit? This is my first wall oven and as I have explained in my comment above, there is so much heat being blown into my kitchen I dread turning it on. I have never seen anything like it! Does anyone know of a brand that does not blast hot air into the kitchen?

• kevinande
    hace 2 años

All modern ovens vent in this fashion. Unfortunately this is simply the way of things today. In the future maybe someone will find a way to dissipate the heat way from the electronics and still keep it "affordable". I imagine with some creative thinking you could come up with a way to vent the heat outside, however I am sure that solution would not be affordable for the masses. Like many others I have a counter top oven that I cook many meals in, especially during a hot Texas summer.

• Anna VG
    hace 2 años

The ovens simply have to be vented through the back to be energy efficient but companies will not do it because of the profit or lack of it;). Now they make one oven venting system for all types of the housing (condos, walls with and without outdoor venting)

We live in vegas and we bought a new house in 2018. we used our oven maybe 20 times, and only during winter months.

• Usuario de Houzz-927579632
    hace 2 años

Glad i found this thread while researching if i could still buy a conventional oven i have used my daughter and daughter in laws ovens which blow blasts of hot air into the kitchen i really hate them! i fail to see how this is energy efficient when it will cause the air conditioner in summer to work overtime. might be good in winter? who was the genius who thought this up I wonder? So im still working with my 33 year old Hotpoint and dreading the day it dies its been my right hand helper all these years i refuse to pay multiple thousands for something i have to learn a whole new way of baking with and i would not be thrilled with. If anyone knows where we could still buy a conventional double oven please let me know!!

• Ron Cathali
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

My old analog control oven and range had the vent hidden under the back right burner. All ovens bleed their heat into the house. Unless your new oven is somehow hotter than your old one, it's going to release a similar amount of heat into the surrounding space. Depending on mass, insulation, and venting, it take more or less time... But laws of thermodynamics are constant, and all that heat is going to transfer into the surrounding environment no matter what.

• DaVince
    el último año

Add me to the list of head scratchers on the hot air issue. We remodeled and modernized our kitchen and replaced our old GE Double Oven. They worked great and even the LED lights were still working. Yes, I replaced the heating elements a couple of times, but that’s a $25 fix vs a control board…. Preheat was fast and the only time it vented hot air into the kitchen was when it reached a certain temperature or the cleaning mode. There was no hidden vents - Just when it reached a certain temp, fan kicked on and off as needed - not the entire cycle plus 45 minutes…

As part of the remodel, we purchased a Cosmo double oven with convection 30EDWC. As soon as you turn on the unit, the fan kicks on and vents air from the bottom at a pretty good clip. You would think it would come on when it reached a certain temperature, but nope, right away. The hotter the ovens get, the hotter the air coming out. It was up to 187 degrees, but sure it could have gone hotter.

When I talked to Cosmo, they said that’s the design and to keep small children away when it’s on…. Really?…. They also said that they were going to notify retailers because Lowes acted surprised when I told them. I’m working on an exchange, but reading this thread is depressing.

Here are a few tips for the manufacturers:

Ø Have the fan come on when it reaches a certain temperature and cool down to a certain temp

Ø Insulate the unit better - specifically around the control board to reduce fan time

Ø Think outside the box, literally. Have an option to connect an exhaust vent - Dryers have them

Ø Finally – Tell folks so it’s not a surprise!

• dadoes
    el último año

There were a few wall ovens (Thermador brand comes to mind) years ago that could be vented outdoors. Appliances are designed as such for reasons, which range across engineering decisions, design constraints, and of course penny-pinching the production cost. Anyone who believes they can do it better should get an engineering degree and a design position with a manufacturer. :-)

• DaVince
    el último año

Yes, I understand heat transfer, but you missed the point.

• Usuario de Houzz-806724094
    el último año

We recently replaced a nice Jenn-Air double wall oven (DWO), which died in December for no discernible reason. Repairman confirmed there were no replacement parts for the control panel. We waited for four months to get another DWO. Jenn-Air was not available, so we bought a GE. With the production and distribution problems affecting every facet of our lives, we felt fortunate to have found anything! Today, after baking cookies, I decided to check online to see if this problem of hot air blowing into the kitchen was just with my ovens. I'm glad to have found this thread, but I have to agree that something should be done to alleviate this excessive release of hot air into the kitchen. The old Jenn-Air DWO did not blow any significant amount of hot air into my kitchen. Truly, I could do without the Wi-Fi and the other electronic features that necessitate this unwanted venting of hot air. As we learned while attempting to find a replacement appliance, many of these ovens are manufactured by the same corporation. For instance, today, Whirlpool Corporation owns the Jenn-Air, Maytag, Amana, Roper, and KitchenAid brands. If you ask me, we're doomed. There is no incentive to fix the problem.

• Mary Parsons
    el último año

We just naively installed both a Bosch 800 series wall oven and a wall microwave and were blown away - literally - by the hot air blowing in my face out of the front of both ovens! It is too late to exchange with the retailer. We must find a solution! My builder, who is very creative, suggested attaching a “baffle” of some sort that would direct the air blowing out in a downward angle so that it flows more over the oven doors rather than blowing straight out into my face. We could use metal or plastic and attach using a double sided tape. However, we are wondering if the baffle might cause the electronics to over heat by restricting to flow to some degree? I would love to hear any thoughts about this baffle idea. Thanks :)

• dadoes
    el último año

Advise not to do that baffle thing.

• likestonehomes
    el último año

The most annoying thing is the dang ovens set off the smoke detector each and everytime!

• Joy Jordan
    el último año

Here is a question for everyone... Is the venting of hot air problem happening just with convection ovens? Or all new ovens? I can't use my oven at all in the summer months. In fact I am considering installing my oven to the garage! That is the only place I can think of where it would be protected from the weather and still be accessible for use. How sad is that? Comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

• dadoes
    el último año

My parents have a Whirlpool electric double wall oven that is a 1995 model but was produced for many years, theirs is a 2005 serial number. It has electronic controls and blows the panel cooling air from a vent between the upper and lower ovens. I've never heard mom complain about it, nor my sisters when they've used it. A sister and I were there last weekend, baked a large dish of chicken spaghetti for 1.5 hrs. The airflow didn't cause any problems or trigger us to run away or avoid the kitchen while baking was in progress ... it has been a normal characteristic of the oven's operation for the past 17 years.

• Joy Jordan
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

A solution of sorts. I have completely given up on using my GE wall oven in the summer months. I realize this suggestion is not possible/feasible for everyone. It's not ideal but it's my "get around" for now. I bought a very large tabletop convection oven and have it in my garage. Finally, I can bake a casserole or a meatloaf and still have a nice cool kitchen. :)

• Maureen Macdonald
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

Hi all. Its cold up here in Edmonton 8 months of the year. Yes the blowing protects the cabinets and controls, and the self clean can damage them our appliance tech said. I would have bought a jenn air down flow system that is vented outside but our kitchen is too small. Just got our 2 Bosch ovens so will comment later. I have heard some peeps in Texas put a vent under the toekick. I have a faber zoom recirculating fan over the stovetop, a window over the sink. Our furnace is in the main floor and too close for a vented fan. Up here it is Mr Appliance who does the repairs. I can see our situation is not the same. The microwave on the speed oven runs on a bit, so can not hear the little ding when finished. I am glad for safety first as my old oven retained the heat so long that the house was hot at bedtime and I had to run the a/c even after it cooled outside. Not sure if an hvac place can help with the ventilation extended to the right place, but an email is worth it for the science

• tom daly
    el último año
    • All your problems are caused because you have bought a fan assisted oven, in which the fan is too powerful for it`s supposed minimum job of keeping the air circulating within the oven box just enough for even cooking. And also because the manurfacturers have chosen to vent to the front rather than the back as our older fan assisted oven used to do. Probably nothing to do with cooling electronics, keeping children away or any of the other reasons given. An oven that vents to the rear is fine because the hot air is then less noticeable and can be guided a little to your extractor fan above your oven.
    • Better still, a less powerful oven fan could have been fitted by the manufacturer that would do the necessary circulation of interior oven air with a lesser amount of air released to the kitchen. It is a total incompetent design embarrasment that manufacturers should be ashamed of, but quite typical of todays world where plugs are designed so that the wires come out of the top, exposed to all and untidy, rather than neat and tidy at the bottom!
    • However pleae be warned that attempts to change the workings, or air flow paths to and from your oven, can be very dangerous.
  • Joy Jordan
    el último año

Thanks Tom, that makes perfect sense. You were spot on when you said, " It is a total incompetent design embarrasment that manufacturers should be ashamed of". It's a pity that a purchaser can't test drive an oven before they plunk down serious bucks. I appreciate your comments. Joy

• dadoes
    el último año

Tom Daly's data above is off-kilter. The fans of question that blow air into the room are external to the oven (baking) cavity and have no function "of keeping the air circulating within the oven box just enough for even cooking."

"An oven that vents to the rear is fine because the hot air is then less noticeable and can be guided a little to your extractor fan above your oven." Wall ovens cannot vent to the rear being that they are entirely enclosed in the kitchen cabinetry, nor do they have an extractor fan above.

• jaimed1
    hace 12 meses

I am deciding on whether to buy a range or wall ovens. Does anyone know if the hot air problem also happens with ranges? Thanks

• kevinande
    hace 11 meses

@jaimed1 All modern ovens exhaust hot air into the living space (kitchen). You can thank the fact that electronic components need to be kept cool in order to last and function properly.

• dadoes
    hace 11 meses

A traditional free-standing range with backsplash control panel is less likely to involve a cooling fan for electronic controls in the backsplash, although I suppose it's possible some do have a fan there. My GE Profile range (which is 19 years old) with electronic oven controls (rotary knobs for the cooktop burners) does not have a cooling fan.

• Louise Smith
    hace 11 meses

jaimed1: Ranges also have to vent. However, many ranges vent upward at the back of the cooktop. If you have an over the range exhaust fan, running the exhaust fan when the oven is venting will ameliorate the heat problem.

• dadoes
    hace 11 meses

All oven cavities, whether a wall oven or traditional freestanding, drop-in or set-in range, have a vent to dissipate moisture from the baking process, but it's a passive airflow, not powered by a fan. The exit port location of the cavity vent varies per the appliance design. It may be through one of the cooktop burners (not possible, of course, on a glass cooktop), a grill at back of the cooktop, beneath the backsplash control panel (as on my GE), or above the door (common on wall ovens). A convection circulation fan inside the oven cavity is not related to venting, nor is a cooling fan for electronics.

• tom daly
    hace 11 meses

Dadoes, you obviously have no experience of what we are talking about. Our new gas oven vents to the front from the fan assisting air circulation within the oven and comes out from a gap over the oven door, straight into the kitchen. It blows with the heat and force of a skirting heater on low. You cannot tell me that this is from a fan cooling the electronics,,, that isa ridiculous notion and although you seem to talk with authority, you actually do not know what you are talking about!

• dadoes
    hace 11 meses

Tom Daly, please post the brand and model number of your oven so I can look up photos, parts diagrams, operating literature (and perhaps service literature) so as to educate myself on it. Thanks!

• tom daly
    hace 11 meses

Dadoes, It is a Stoves model SGB700ps and below see two other complaints about the model expelling very hot air direct from the oven comprtment, the door is manufactured with no seal at the top of the oven door specifically so as to allow for hot air to blow out.

!st complaint/ ! Large gap at top of second oven so a lot of hot air coming out - is this necessary?

2nd complaint/...Too much heat lost through the gap where the seal comes to a stop on the top of each door.,

And also the hanbook states :-....... “As part of the cooking process, hot air is expelled through a vent at top of the ovens,…

What else is there to say ?

• dadoes
    hace 11 meses

Tom Daly,

Quoting myself from the post above: "... or above the door (common on wall ovens)."

Which may be done via a gap in the door seal.

Venting the lower cavity of a double-cavity wall oven through a different route would require internal ducting to get around the upper cavity. Some manufacturers may design for that, some may not.

There apparently are electronics in the panel for the timing functions, if not for the oven gas controls. There is reference to an electric grill accessory/function but no mention of a convection fan baking mode. The user manual makes reference to a cooling fan in the section about the electric grill. Seems reasonable it also runs for baking.

It also says "The use of gas cooking appliances results in the production of heat, moisture and products of combustion in the room in which it is installed."

Gas ovens require airflow for combusion and may exhaust heat and moisture more actively than do electric ovens. There is mention in the user manual of heat transfer within the appliance from the main/bottom oven to the top oven if they are used simultaneously.

• tom daly
    hace 11 meses

A nonsense reply Dadoes, why do you not admit you are wrong........you have been implying all along that the oven fan does not blow heat from the oven cavity into the room and that its sole purpose is to cool the electronics.....now I have proved you wrong with the above, and yet you are now trying to twist and turn to make out you were somehow correct. You are wrong and should admit it, the fan does blow hot air from the oven cavity into the room!

• dadoes
    hace 11 meses

Tom Daly, what specific statements are nonsense?

I don't find any breakdown diagrams via online search to locate where is the fan on your oven unit, but there are spares/parts listings.

Can you confirm and perhaps provide photos of the grill or ducting from which a fan blows air into the oven cavities on your unit for exhausting it via the door seal gaps?

These two muffin-type cooling fans such as are often used in computer cases and power supplies are among the spares.

Stock Code MT 243

Stock Code TP430331

• tom daly
    hace 11 meses

Sorry Dadoes, nothing wrong with your arguments, but just thought you were being unnecessarily over technical.....all I know is a fan in the oven/cooker blows heat out like you are in the Sahara desert, the exact route of which,.who knows?

• Usuario de Houzz-772963709
    hace 8 meses

I have a 4 year old thermador combo oven mwave. it blows hot air out the front everytime i cook or bake. i am dumpi it . has anyone found an oven they like that does not blow hot air into the kitchen?

• Joy Jordan
    hace 8 meses

Sorry to say that I have not. The search continues...

• Usuario de Houzz-356837297
    hace 8 meses

We also have a new oven built into our cabinet. We retired to AZ, so in most months our furnace is not needed, so we don't use our oven either. I think I have developed a solution subject to adverse comments on this thread. Our oven is in the corner of the kitchen, adjacent to an outside wall. As such, there is a void behind the oven cabinet. Under the oven box is space to allow air to get to the vent in the front. I plan to cut a hole in the back of this cavity.. Then connect exhaust duct through the outside wall and mount an exhaust blower like we had on our downdraft vent over a Dacor cooktop. I would put in an electric switch to turn on, and a timer that would shut off after a prescribed time. I won't touch the front of the oven so you have the option of not using the fan when it is too cold in the kitchen.

Any comments?

• kevinande
    hace 8 meses

Am I to understand that your are trying to capture the hot air coming through the front ventilation with something similar to a downdraft? If I am understanding this correctly, this seems like a difficult task. Downdrafts are not very good at capturing heat and plooms by their very nature. Placing it above the oven my help slightly, but you would need one powerful fan (loud) to suck in all the hot air produced by the oven. Even then it still may not be very effective. I think this was done is some homes in the 60's and 70's how effective it was, that I am not sure of. I am far from an expert on this kind of stuff so you will definatley want a more qualified opinion. Seems to me you would need a hood of some form or fashion to capture the heat and then exhaust it outside. Otherwise you would just be sucking your conditioned air outside.

• Joy Jordan
    hace 8 meses
    Última modificación: hace 8 meses

H HU-356837297, Sounds like you've got yourself a plan of action. We too retired in AZ. In the Central Highlands. (we get all 4 seasons including snow). You sound like a DIY person but in this case you may want to consult with either a HVHC or a general contractor. It has been my experience that when you brainstorm with a pro you come up with alternate options you might not have thought of otherwise. You are fortunate in that your oven is next to an outside wall. Oh the possibilities... Please keep us posted. Joy

hace 8 meses

To clarify: there is a cavity under the oven box, but above the bottom frame of the appliance. Hot air moves from this cavity to your kitchen via the vent in . I p lan to access this cavity from the rear and power vent to the outside.

hace 8 meses

I don't have any data to support my conjecture why the manufacturers use a fan to blow air into the kitchen. I suspect there is a government regulation or trade guideline that when an oven is in an enlosed cabinet, air exposed to the interior of the cabinet must be low enough to assure the cabinet does not result in combustion.

• Trapped
    hace 8 meses

I found this old thread when I googled "wall oven blowing out hot air" After using my new oven yesterday and today, I couldn't believe the noise of the fan and the hot air being blown into my kitchen. I wondered how anyone could stand the heat and fan noise for the length of time it would take to roast a turkey.

So I wondered if they all were this way now or whether I should exchange this one for one that didn't do it.

Dadoes, I may have had a version of your mothers Whirlpool oven from 1995

My old whirlpool wall oven with electronics that was installed in 1993 did not blow out hot air like I'm experiencing with my new oven. If it had a fan, I didn't hear it. I used the self clean once or twice a year for 30 years, so using it obviously did not shorten the life.

There was a grill at the bottom that was open to the oven cavity, but no hot air was blowing out. I think the model was RB260PXYB. I don't have the manual anymore

• dadoes
    hace 8 meses

Trapped, mom's oven has a cooling fan. Model RBD245PDQ15, 15 being the engineering revision which is the highest I've seen on a WP product and indicates the many years of production on that model. Air blows from a grill between the control panel and upper oven door ... quiet but not inaudible. It does produce some heat but I don't consider it an offensive blast. She has run self-clean only once, and may have canceled it before completion because of concern at the high temperature.

There was a problem with WP and KA wall ovens prior to December 2008 having weak cooling fans which led to the protective thermal fuse blowing during self-clean. A revised, stronger fan assembly was available to solve the problem.

• janislw3
    hace 5 meses

My landlord just put a new GE slide in stove (cooktop and combo oven) as I complained about the old oven blowing hot air out the front and also that it only seemed to be on "convection" even though there wasn't a convection mode on it. Certain foods never came out like they should, such as cracker breads and quiche (I had to overcook the top to make certain the middle of the crust was cooked).

But this oven blows hot air, too -- only out the back! I made cracker breads last night which bake on a pizza stone at 450 and the house became an oven, as well.

If they have to do this to keep the high tech elements from over heating, then maybe this isn't such a good design. Maybe they should go back to the old designs.

And I ask -- how can this be energy efficient? If hot air is blowing into your house in summer, then the air conditioning is running to counter-act it. If unnecessary heat is being expelled from the oven, then how is that efficient because the oven is surely producing more heat than it needsk or is healthy for the electronic components.

And now I wonder if it means that air is still blowing around in the oven, giving it a convection mode by default. I'm going to have to experiment with it to see.

And one more thing, on this model, as soon as I even put a tea kettle on to boil, cold air blows out the vent in the back. I had to move my pet bird.

Why am I thinking that men design these products.

• foodonastump
    hace 5 meses

@janislw - The cooling fan is for the control panel, not blowing hot air of the oven cavity.

As for your quiche problem, have you checked the oven for proper temp? Or adjusted the temp setting to even out the cooking. Yes, some ovens are bad. I’ve owned them.

Why am I thinking that men design these products.

Because you don’t understand it. Don’t worry, we got you covered. 😉

• kaseki
    hace 5 meses
    Última modificación: hace 5 meses

My dual Wolf wall ovens, ca. 2008, pull air in from under the control panel to cool the top and back of the upper cavity, and also pull air from under the upper cavity to cool its base and the top, back, and base of the lower cavity. The total cooling air is then expelled into the room via a gap under the lower cavity. In this case it is too low to bother anyone's eyes under most conditions.

Cooling air circulation depends on a oven-width but small diameter squirrel-cage type blower mounted at the back.

The electric ovens themselves do not exhaust to the room; convection cooking mode is recirculating.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.