Houzz Logo Print
kerrygw

Idiotic hand shower/slide bar question

kerrygw
hace 15 años

Well, at least I admit when my questions are on the sillier side! :-) I was reading a great thread on here about designing bathrooms for kids, and I really liked the idea of having a handshower with a slide bar for their shower to make it easier to adjust to the differing heights. Then I started looking at fixtures and confused myself! If you do the handshower/slide bar combo, do you do a regular (fixed) showerhead as well? If you only do the handshower/slide bar combo, is that a sufficient enough spray for regular "adult" showers also? I just think of the handshower in our current shower and I know that even if it was mounted on the wall, I'd never want to attempt to take a full shower in it's (relatively) weak spray. Opinions/thoughts appreciated - thanks!

Comentarios (14)

• monicakm_gw
    hace 15 años

I don't have personal experience with this but all the showers I can remember seeing with the handheld/slider combo had a stationary shower head as well.
    Monica

• charlikin
    hace 15 años

My sister-in-law has the handheld on slidebar by itself, without a fixed showerhead. She says it works fine. I've seen it in other homes, too. So I think it's just a matter of preference.

I had done both fixed and handheld because I was kind of hoping to use both at the same time, but when they're both on, the water flow is a little wimpy. I think I've actually got adequate water pressure for both - it's those stupid flow restrictors...the flow starts off not-so-intense, and when you then share it between the two showerheads, there just isn't that much to go around.

• shannonaz
    hace 15 años

I am using a hand shower on a bar as the main shower head. From what I understand, hand showers are better than they used to be. We are going with a Hansgrohe.

• astridh
    hace 15 años

I have used hand showers on a bar as the only water source and I've been perfectly happy with them. We have used Grohe and Hansgrohe. I don't know what a fixed shower head would add.

• pepperidge_farm
    hace 15 años

They make much more awesome handhelds than they used to, in most configurations of head style.

Likely you can find an excellent handheld that can serve both functions if that is the configuration you like!

Or, you can have both in order to have 2 different styles of head (ie rain, massage).

I think Hansgrohe makes handhelds that will meet both needs, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: For instance... click this :-)

• User
    hace 15 años

You can go either way and many do choose just to have the sliding hand shower. If you want both, as with anything, there is more expense involved as you may need an additional valve and/or a diverter. We opted to put both a fixed shower head as well as the handshower. The set up we went with (Moen) has the diverter which only allows one option to work at a time (like a tub & shower for example). You can buy separate valve assemblies & handles for each fixture so you can run both at the same time, but from what we were told, in addition to an additional valve most set ups require 3/4 inch pipes so they can handle enough water for both options to run simutaneously. This is what we learned would be necessary for our bathroom. You should consult a plumber to be sure about what exactly is needed for your specific set up.

• kerrygw
    Autor original
    hace 15 años

Thanks so much everyone - the help is very appreciated! I think going with just the handshower would be so much easier - and it definitely looks like there are some great options out there that would work for that. Thanks so much for all the great tips!

• User
    hace 15 años

we have a dornbracht hand held on a slide bar. it works great, has a nice full spray head. i don't see the need to put in the extra plumbing just to have a stationary showerhead.

• katieb2007
    hace 15 años

We just installed a hand shower in our children's bath, and my DH and I have been using it while we have the shower in our bath tiled. We do not have a fixed shower head, and the shower, which is a large, round showerhead, has a very strong flow, and works great. I would not feel the need to install 2 showerheads.

• jakkom
    hace 15 años

We have a Hansgrohe Aktiva hand shower/slide bar. Had to take out the water restrictor because it causes the hose to burst apart from the (whatever the technical name is) round wall connector. We went through five hoses before giving up and popping the restrictor out. No problems since. I don't like doing this because:

1) we're serious about saving water in CA; our drought is on its third year and this is the fourth serious drought I've lived through since moving here. So it's EXTREMELY wasteful. We take short showers and are putting in a gray water system.

2) I frankly consider the Waterpik in the other bathroom to be a better showerhead, saves water without the overpressure problem, and costs 1/10th the price. Our last one was still going strong after 17 yrs when we left in our last apartment. It is, however, not as pretty as the Hansgrohe.

• kerrygw
    Autor original
    hace 15 años

Thanks everyone. Katieb2007 - what brand of handshower did you get - you seem happy with it? The Grohe ones I've seen seem to be made of a plastic casing that I don't love... are the Hansgrohe ones the same? The water restrictor issue would be frustrating.. I am hoping to find one that is attractive, durable, and will hold up to quite a bit of use. Should be an interesting search!

• astridh
    hace 15 años

My Hansgrohe is also plastic, but it isn't obvious when you look at it, and it doesn't bother me. Actually, the light weight is a little bit of an advantage if you drop it.

• onlyme356
    hace 15 años

It's optional some people use just a slide bar shower and others use a shower head with it. Here's a good one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chrome Slide Bar

• katieb2007
    hace 15 años

Kerrygw, sorry I haven't responded sooner! Our slide bar is not one of the fancy brands--it is a Delta, but not from Home Depot or Menards. It was ordered from our plumber, and we are very happy with it.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.