Houzz Logo Print
philmul

I want to make my fireplace the focal point...

philmul
hace 11 años
But, I just can't come up with the best way to do it. First, I thought about doing the beams in an exotic wood like amboyna burl. My problem is that I. Can't find anyone to fabricate it! Any ideas or references would be appreciated.

Comentarios (29)

• elcieg
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    It is already a focal point. What about a killer candelabra on the mantel…BIG!

Or this,
    Candelabra Home Deco Clock · Más información
  • andreayoungc
    hace 11 años
    Decker's Woodworking in fremont , Ohio could help you with fabrication and many odd wood choices.
  • philmul
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    I want to do something dramatic with color and/or material. The white beams seems to fade into the wall and do nothing to enhance the majesty.

I recently saw a fireplace done in onyx... but my fireplace is 19' 5 5/16" tall!
  • carolannr
    hace 11 años
    I would like a big metal sculpture against the rock background, I think that would add some drama to the room.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    hace 11 años
    It would be easier to try painting the beams and the area above the arch a different color (?), perhaps picking up a tone from the painting..That could tie in the stone veneer. The difference in grout in color and profile from fireplace is a bit jarring--makes the top look dark and maybe a bit dirty. Could be the photo. There are new peel away masonry cleaners that might be worth trying.

Sherwin Williams has a new feature where you can load a picture and get harmonizing colors, and then load it into their painting tool and try it out on selected areas. It takes a little fiddling around, but works quite well. Even if you have a wood tone, say matching the banister, it will give you an idea of what it might look like before spending a great deal of money.

Skilled decorative painters can grain the plaster too--especially for a dark finish it will be hard to tell.

Another option is to add a more sculptural but not fussy mantel, and something tall near the hearth, if you have enough clearance. Just a tall container of twigs can look quite nice and add a dash of informality. A rug could warm things up and ground the seating area, and a few pillows could make the couches more inviting. A tall garden oblisk or ornament might be an option too.
  • User
    hace 11 años
    It is a focal point, but the design is odd. How about rectangular stone clad all the way up (you can do herringbone in the square niche), eliminate the round niche and a new wooden mantle..
  • philmul
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    We already have plans to replace the ugly fan with a killer chandelier. The picture for the moment is just resting on the mantle, but will be raised and lighted. Most likely the drapes will be replaced with something more in keeping with a New York penthouse look.
  • philmul
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Wow, I am a newbie to the site... And I appreciate your great ideas!
  • simplify52
    hace 11 años
    Stone it all the way up with a beautiful stone and add a substantial mantle. Remove those drapes so people will see the beautiful stone and not those drapes.
  • Donna Green
    hace 11 años
    I love the soaring ceilings in this room and the extreme height of the fireplace. These features really need to be showcased. The arched area above the fireplace feels odd to me. You could either continue the stone work to the ceiling or sheetrock down to the mantel. I would warm up the color of the room and showcase the beautiful tall windows with much less formal draperies. The floors are very nice and I would accent them with a very nice rug to pull everything together. The room needs a common theme and coordinating colors to pull it together. I would go with a comfortable, inviting and informal feel for this room. You have a beautiful open space to work with. Happy Hunting!
  • PRO
    Essence Design Studio
    hace 11 años
    Here are a few options: You could add molding detail to the arch & columns, with a large mantle to make it look more ornate and formal while keeping it white. Then paint the walls a darker contrasting gray/stone color to make the fireplace stand out.

Or, you still add molding details on the columns, paint the columns & arch a dark gray, and add a dark wood beam mantle... It would give it more of a contemporary feel.
  • Nanci Bussoli
    hace 11 años
    I feel the need to worship when in the presence of this space! I would ask you a lot more questions about your lifestyle and furnishings. There is too much to look at my eyes don't know where to focus. I would clean it up; get rid of the arch (fill it in) then maybe take a complementary (to the fireplace surround stone) element like a stone tile, wood ,etc...laid horizontal within the vertical structure. Paint the verticals or box in with wood. Paint your ceilings a darker color to "bring them down" a bit. Depending on your other furnishings the curtains could go away...
  • Cynthia Hamil
    hace 11 años
    If you are really going for your fireplace being the focal point in the room, then I would move the painting to another spot. Your painting is not allowing the fireplace to "do its thing". I agree with the first comment-- I like the clock idea...or going with something that is equally rugged. The stones are just crying out for rugged accessories.

(If rugged is NOT the direction that you want to go... then you could always paint your stone a more neutral color... and downplay their present rugged appearance).

In my opinion, the drapes that you have selected are a completely different theme than your fireplace. Although they are a very neutral shade, they are very elegant. This would be the equivalent of Princess Grace wearing Berkenstocks. You need to make a decision here. If the room is headed in the direction of the present fireplace-- then you need to work around that theme. The fireplace is more Berkenstock. The drapes are Princess Grace.

Choose the theme first. Then accessorize.

Or, you could just pull the drapes off as a joke with the fireplace-- kind of like a Bohemian look. If the drapes remain-- I would do something to make them less obvious-- perhaps, like paint the walls the same shade of mushroom as the drapes. Something needs to happen here. I'm not liking the drapes with this fireplace. They are two separate themes and the white walls only exaggerate this fact.

Here are some pics that feature fireplaces with a similar theme to what you have now--
    Lower Hay Lake 1 Porch · Más información

Woodland Point Great Room · Más información

The 3rd pic is shown in a kitchen, but shows a similar rustic type theme--
    Park Slope Brownstone · Más información

Another pic here-- showing a lighter stone. (Although your stone is much darker... you could always have someone paint this a shade or two lighter to give you more of this effect in your room).
    Robinson's Bay Residence · Más información
  • PRO
    Venetian Art Inc.
    hace 11 años
    Why not make it a focal point by doing some lime stone plaster over it to make it look like a real stone fireplace.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    hace 11 años
    I agree, lime plaster or mortar washing would be preferable to paint and would help unify it, and really bring out the texture to provide a nice but not competing backdrop to the painting. Of course entirely refacing it--plaster? marble? wood? and the hearth as suggested above is another option, and while you do it, you could go for a higher and grander mantle and casing.

I think it looks out of proportion as ii is. If you are going for a contemporary look, then it probably is best to get rid of the arch. Most of the above fireplaces and spaces are completely different proportions.I don't see any molding or anything interesting on the ceiling, and the window molding is plain as far as I can see.I agree a color up there could be terrific, as would a wood ceiling, or maybe a coffered ceiling, along with heftier molding or maybe a high wainscot on the walls and around the windows.

Going with one style is easier, but not strictly required, With the painting and the drapes and the coffee table, I assumed you were going traditional. I think a mixed interior--traditional walls and ceiling with modern furniture or contemporary architecture with traditional furnishings both can look nice.

All these ideas can be pricey for such a big space, so it is probably best to find a designer you really like to consult with about the details so you pull off what you want.
  • PRO
    DM Decos by Design, Inc.
    hace 11 años
    You might want to think about integrating another type of natural stone that has some flair like Coral Stone. We are a manufacturer of such stones (along with many more options) and can do custom orders.

Coral stone would be great in this setting because it is keeping the framing of the rugged stones light and earthy. The contrast between the dark ruggedness and light sheen would be spectacular. Also, Coral Stone always remains cool, even under extreme heat exposure. The stone has random swirls of brain or fan coral giving each tile a unique look and feel which adds to the 'natural' feel of the fireplace.

We also carry Limestone, Slate, Marble, Coquina, and Marbella or Shell Stones and would be happy to work with you to come up with a desirable and affordable conclusion!
  • PRO
    Ugol Woodworks
    hace 11 años
    www.buyamantel.com has some wood designs that would make you mantel stand out, but the stone with the arch is a bit much. You can try to change from arch but frame (arch or any other treatment) on top of another frame (mantel) would still give a boxed in effect.
  • philmul
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    We just purchased this home and we inherited the drapes. Ughhh! I think they were purchased second hand from a funeral parlor. LOL! They are going to go the first chance we get.

We are not overly excited abut the brown stone, but we are trying to work around it.
  • camillealbert
    hace 11 años
    I agree with everyone who says get rid of drapes. Get rid of arch area over fireplace. Fill it in and paint to match walls which need to be darker. Then have a mantle made of mahogany...very rich looking. And an area rug will pull it all together.
  • PRO
    ALPINE CONSTRUCTION
    hace 11 años
    you have so many options your taste is key , salvaged timber is readily available if you like that look personally i like
  • PRO
    ALPINE CONSTRUCTION
    hace 11 años
    you have so many options your taste is key , salvaged timber is readily available if you like that look personally i like
  • T H
    hace 11 años
    agree that the drapes are overdone. perhaps none! get a white covering if you need the privacy, such as sheer fabric blinds. otherwise consider a simple sheer drape that is long on the outside, to the floor and shorter on the side closest to the fireplace. this will draw the eye to the center as a frame. My style is a 'vanilla' background so that artwork and decor stand out more. So if you want the fireplace to stand out, make the surrounding area recede with a mild color, and the fireplace a contrasting color.
    I have a stone-faced fireplace too, but I don't have that odd arch you do. I grew up in a colonial 1790s stone house so I love stone - but my stone is an awful gray color. I have mused frequently that same option of painting or refacing the stone as some comments here. I prefer sandy-colored stone or, like the natural stone I love, stone with oranges, greens and subtle colors that I grew up in - fieldstone around here. I'm ready to take a spay can of fake stone paint to it, or pulling it off completely and re-doing the whole thing, top to bottom. That dark gray ugh! So depressing!! Shoot, there's always the option of treating it like brick and painting it all white! Desperate!
    I like your painting but agree with others that it doesn't stand out enough against the dark stone. Like your idea of lighting to brighten the spot.
    Consider too, tall metal candlesticks on the hearth or some sort of tall decor on either side of the fireplace. Perhaps two candlesticks of differing height on one side and a vase or slender statrue/sculpture on the other...but with restraint!
    You could also ADD to the recess with a wood-style curved molding on the arch and around the fireplace or a more simply, painting a "frame" of color on the edges of the arch, mantel and fireplace surround. Make the whole recessed area look like a giant frame with edging. Something like that - and that wouldn't entail tearing everything up.
  • just1lucy
    hace 11 años
    I agree the picture is too much in the space and the simpler, round clock was a nice idea. Paint the area around the fireplace a bold color and the walls beyond a similar but lighter shade. I would not use different colors or you are pulling away from fireplace again. Do not try to match anything in the stone for color. Rock is a natural element, everything goes. Choose colors that are new this season by designers. All paint companies have their connections. Also lose the 1980's drapes. Thinks simple, clean and fresh.
  • digger101
    hace 11 años
    Just a thought....how about covering the stone work with antique mirror? It would look so cool between two windows and be rich as well as reflective...very New Yorkish!
  • dawnmarilynn
    hace 11 años
    I agree with digger101, a mirror would be great, but I would pick a very large one to fit inside that upper space to cover up the arch. Not only would it feel more contemporary loft style, but it would minimize the amount of stone, while reflecting that fabulous chandelier you said you will be hanging!! Definitely take down the drapes and install long, more sheer ones to the sides of each window. If you paint the surrounding walls a nice gray or any other color you choose, the columns and the fireplace will be a great focal point! These ideas are all cost effective and can be changed if needed later.
  • michigammemom
    hace 11 años
    philmul, in my opinion the rustic fireplace facade is just incongruous with the sophisticated furnishings and urban feel of the room. I would suggest covering up the "mountain lodge" cultured stone with a honed black granite. Your art would no longer compete with the mosaic pattern of your stone and mortar and it will have the wow factor you desire.
    New England Contemporary Living Room · Más información
  • camillealbert
    hace 11 años
    The French inspired by lionesses e is awesome!!!
  • philmul
    Autor original
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

OK, so after 8 years of doing nothing with this ugly fireplace, I decided to do something more modern and stay interesting. So, here is my project which yielded the metamorphosis.

1) Here is where we started: notice the dark grout, the dark-colored stones, and the fireplace frame that was painted the same color as the walls. Thank God for the painting as it covered up most of the ugly stone.

2) The first thing we tried was painting the stones a "bone" color and then wiping each stone so it would show through the grain of the stone without looking too dark. ... but now, they were to conspicuous against the dark grout.

3) So, we took a look at painting the grout and decided on "bone" knowing that it would dry darker than the stones but not too dark.

4) We painted the fire-box black for that more modern look and then the beams a "matte white". We couldn't use a super-gloss on the beams or it would show the plaster's hills and valleys. So Matte was the finish of choice.

5) We painted the dimensional surfaces a "Davis Paint - Bread 'n Butter" to give the "bone" insert depth. Finally, we placed a wild Picasso like painting in the center to draw attention to the whole thing and I think it may have worked: (click on the photo to see the entire fireplace)

6) OK, OK, - I know we will have to move the painting down a bit to be symmetrical and not crowd the rounded arch. You would have to see the fireplace in person to appreciate what it does for this large 20' high room. :) Project completed ..... finally ... paintwork done by Kevin Wills of Smith Mountain Lake Virginia. Great job Kevin!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.