Houzz Logo Print
clenz413

Can you recommend art for over fireplace?

hace 11 años
I have recently completely redecorated my living room, including the fireplace addition. I have changed the style to transitional, and would love to add something with a pop of red over the fireplace. I have 41" from mantel top to crown, and 56" right to left between the sconces. Suggestions? Thank you.

Comentarios (42)

• hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Look into a framed print by Edward Mucha or Gustav Klimt
  • hace 11 años
    Thank you!
  • hace 11 años
    You are welcome!:) Your home is very lovely and tasteful!
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Great job on the living room..I like the mirror idea; but, using same style - square, diamond, or oval shaped - hung in some sort of array - say 3 across and 4 high...want red?!? Add an antiquing finish to subtle add the color in! Good luck!
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    I think it is important to really love what you hang on the wall, so you will need to trawl through some prints :-)
    for a suggestion try these from www.allposters.com
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    I took the liberty of looking through your 'ideabook' I think you like clean lines but with detail. Not too much clutter though......am I right? would love to know!
  • hace 11 años
    The sconces are a killer, and you have too much dead white. Get rid of the sconces, put a large framed mirror over the mantel, and paint the fireplace a dark subtle color. Then your white upholstery will pop.
  • hace 11 años
    Since your living room has more of an elegant look I recommend a beautiful painting between the two candles.
  • hace 11 años
    How about one of these:
    http://www.art.com/gallery/id--a51958/jan-van-os-posters.htm?ui=A491D8D64BD5417AB0CD31AED28A8ED0&SSK=Victorian+Classicism
    I think the subject (florals) would look lovely with the scroll patterns on your cornice boxes.
    Attached is a framed mockup in your room - Pick whatever painting you like (size, subject) and just add a deep red mat ... :-)
    If you go with the mirrors, you could still add a red objet or two in front (candles, sculpture, urn?)
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    @clenz413 - Make sure you post the after shot!
  • hace 11 años
    I would suggest that you buy a piece of original art that you love. Go gallery hopping one day, or to a fall festival where there are artist's booths, or look on etsy for original art. Here is a friend of mine's artwork...an example...she does many wonderful paintings and also sells prints on art.com. Another suggestion would to have a portrait done of you or a member of the family. Love aggie's idea of a klimt up there as well, but i TRY to push original art as much as possible. many talented artist's out there!
  • hace 11 años
    I love the sculpture and abstract,! Would you please share the artist? Thanks!
  • hace 11 años
    Try typing in Metal Sculpture on ebay. I know that artist is there. May be from Nevada? I'll look for you though and repost. Check for the other as well! :)
  • hace 11 años
    The name of the sculpture artist is Holly Lentz and she's in Las Vegas. VERY reasonable prices! She is on ebay and has an ebay store as well called "Metal Chicks Gallery". Still looking for painter... :)
    I do not know Holly personally or anything, but saw her work and loved it a while back. She may have another regular website as well with gallery pictures, but would probably do a specific size for your space if she doesn't have the size you would like.
  • hace 11 años
    White Wings Print by Papermoth Illustration · Más información
    Something like this artwork. Not expensive, hand done, white is striking with your chairs. Frame it in a venetian style to tie in your damask fabric.
  • hace 11 años
    be sure you have the art on canvas. framed posters with glass are to be avoided. 2 suggestions are attached. If you like them i will give you the source. They are not expensive.
  • hace 11 años
    Where did you get your cocktail table from?
  • hace 11 años
    an oversized round wall clock with great frame and black numbers would be a simple nice touch along with some oversized candlesticks
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    I would use a round or oval mirror approx. 36-38" in. in diameter. You really don't need any more red to accent with, it's already in your pillow and drapery fabric and on your table. I would bring some bling to the frame, possibly with antique gold or silver.
  • hace 11 años
    I would definitely go with a colorful,landscape oriented painting.
  • hace 11 años
    Media Decor...do you know marsha? I noticed you suggested a painting by her. She is a friend of mine.
  • hace 11 años
    I think to match the traditional elegance you've established with those beautiful chairs, I would look for a big floral still life with a dark background lsomething in the line of the old masters- something with lots of colors and a variety of shapes. You will want to add something for the eye to be attracted to. The tapestry on the pillows is not large enough to create a sense of drama in the room, the painting will pull its colors out and make them more noticable.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Do you have a Hobby Lobby?! They have a great pieces for cheap too! Totally recommend checking our their online site as well! www.hobbylobby.com Good luck!
  • hace 11 años
    Leaf Design Studio, please don't recommend hobby lobby prints or mass produced "art" for clenz413....she is asking for good advice to decorate her beautiful living area and complete it with art. There is ORIGINAL ART out there that is extreeeeemely reasonable. And should be loved by the buyer, and not seen when walking into another's home. Frames from hobby lobby, sure! But please no flat art from there!! Not trying to get on your case, but I am an artist, and one of my missions in life has been to preach and let everyone know they CAN afford art. I think some people have been brainwashed into thinking that art is too expensive if it's good quality. That's soooo not true! :)
  • PRO
  • hace 11 años
    Keep your artwork personal.. something that has special meaning for you. Whether it is music, horses, something from where you met your spouse or honeymooned, a family heirloom or something that is reminiscent of a special time in your lives. If you and/or your family are artistic at all, you can even make your own artwork without it being too complicated, like something geometric.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Please check out my art website www.anitalewis.com for possible ideas or pieces. I also do commissions. I paint oil on canvas, abstracted concepts of landscapes etc.
  • hace 11 años
    mpoulsom, thank you! I am considering serigraphs -- work by Roy Fairchild or Alexander & Tina Wissotzky, and will look at the other recommendations as well. I should have specified that I wanted something nicer upfront, but I will know better for my next post. I have found a few things on Etsy too! Didn't know about that site -- living in the dark ages no more! Thanks!
  • hace 11 años
    I agree that only you can choose the art in your home. It must speak to your heart. I do like the idea of one or more mirrors, but maybe with a beautiful, red floral arrangement in front of it, but off to one side. I love the white furniture contrast against your wall color and I love the seating arrangement. It's an invitation to come, sit and talk, (one my personal favorite things to do).
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Agreed, art is something that you will just know if it fits. Here is a site to try out. You get to select the size, material, and if you want it framed or not. Hope this helps!

www.committedphotography.ca
  • hace 11 años
    Just a mirror thought..But I do like the idea of personal, original art.
    Nita Ornate Round Mirror · Más información
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Love the room and do love metal art as well - Especially in this room as it will add interest to your clean whites and lines - when 4 chairs face one another around one table peoples eyes do begin to take in their surroundings during on-going conversations - having visual interest to engage them will add to the design and 'feel' of the room.
  • hace 11 años
    I love Anita Lewis' bottom left painting. It would be lovely for your space!
  • hace 11 años
    I am visiting your problem for the second time. I am thinking that a mirror is best. You fireplace, furniture, and draperies make a pretty stong statement. A mirror will tie it all together. I still think you have much too much white, and should darken the fireplace.
  • hace 11 años
    @anitaLewis...OMG...I just checked out your website and you are an amazing artist. Check it out Houzzers and bookmark for future reference. The dancers are also beautifully done!
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    We agree with lazarfamily that art should be personal, but that doesn't mean you have to make it! Your fireplace has classical lines, but your furniture is modern - a fun combination. Perhaps you would like 1) a tapestry in shades that tie your colors together, or 2) a piece of framed art with an image that is easy to see at a distance that also combines the right colors and design periods. Good luck!
  • hace 11 años
    I just purchased letter artwork of photographs that spells out our last name for our fireplace mantel. I received a Groupon on line and received 70% off my order.
    website: http://www.greatbigcanvas.com/create/abc-art/build/
  • hace 11 años
    clenz413....I'm so happy that you are not living in the dark ages anymore!! YAY! :)
    You will find something that is perfect for you I'm sure! And etsy is a great resource for art! Have fun!
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.