Houzz Logo Print
pjuhn

Landscaping idea for this corner 1.4mx1.4m area

Paul Juhn
hace 11 años
What would be best for this area? Its situated at front of the house.
I am thinking fountain or miniature garden or succulent garden....

Comentarios (11)

• olldcan
    hace 11 años
    Thats a perfect spot for a succulent garden or even a small living wall, moss ball or garden globe. You could even combine items of all things round. I'd steer away from the fountain for that spot only because I don't like a wet set of steps.
  • PRO
    BEENU Interior Design
    hace 11 años
    I would suggest a Japanese Maple as it will cascade like a fountain and will also hide the brick at the back and the stairs giving it a wispy airy look and some ground covers at the base and you could tuck in a small feature to add interest and colour
  • Paul Juhn
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Hi, Thanks for the comment. I was also considering thta.
    The only problem might be for the japanese maple is its size.
    How big will it grow? Is there a small variety?
    And i would like to know the position where to plant - middle or deep corner or near the paver if planted.
    Thanks so much
  • PRO
    BEENU Interior Design
    hace 11 años
    Look into Acer palmatum dissectum 'Inaba shidare'
    They are easily trainable by selective (somewhat artistic) pruning in early spring and ocassional snap here and there during the growing season. Depending on what you want to see you should select its initial form and then just slightly improve it every year. You can train a
    narrow vertical tree with cascading branches all way down from 6' to the ground and another one only 3' and to about 4-5' wide. I would like to try to find a middle so it has space all around, deep corner might not be a good ides and too much in the front either...find a middle and imagine it growing in width all around cascading down.
  • PRO
    Ross NW Watergardens
    hace 11 años
    I love Japanese maples, but even with a small variety it will take some skilled pruning to make it work in such a small space. I would look at an Alpine Fir, or similar. Because they are upright and have sparse foliage it wouldn't dominate the space- but would serve as a focal point. You could do some ground cover and small grasses underneath, maybe even some dwarf azaleas. Just my 2 cents!
  • PRO
    A Cultivated Art Inc.
    hace 11 años
    Where are you? Your climate and the direction your house faces are important factors when selecting the right features for the space.

Thanks
  • Paul Juhn
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Hi, I am in Sydney and the house is north facing.
    It should have same lighting condition as south facing in northern hemisphere.
    Basically it is under full sun position except late afternoon.
    I probably don't want to have this area too busy.
    Thanks very much!
  • carolannr
    hace 11 años
    I think a miniatue cypress like Chilworth Silver would be perfect for the spot. Loves the sun yet is great for a rock garden, border spot.
  • Paul Juhn
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Additional photos...
  • Judy M
    hace 11 años
    On this site, under the landscape section, type rock garden into the search box for lots of photos. You might want to combine elements from different photos.
    I picture a lot of low growing ( but slightly varying heights) creeping type plants, that will grow around and between the rocks.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.