Houzz Logo Print
c0c0ha

Need help with table top protection

c0c0ha
hace 11 años
última modificación:hace 11 años
We are looking into buying a new dining table from Restoration Hardware and are concerned about the table top getting easily scratched, damaged, or stained. We like the rustic look, but also want it to last for the money we paid for.

http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod150011&categoryId=cat80040

Talked to the sales rep at the store, she didn't seem to have any clever solutions other than using coasters, place mats, and table cloth.

We are thinking of getting a custom glass top, but does anyone have a better idea?

How do you protect your wooden table top so it can last?

Comentarios (27)

• elcieg
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Don't worry about protecting it to the point where you varnish it or add a glass top. In all my 45 years of worrying about table tops, I have never had major damage. A good regular waxing, not bowling alley wax as that scratches, but just a good quality low luster furniture polish, has done a good job for me. Of course, hot plates, place mats, etc will help. In this RH picture it looks as if individual trays could be used instead of place mats.
  • c0c0ha
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thank you judyyg, I will make a note of your recommendations!
  • PRO
    ct design studio
    hace 11 años
    Also consider your dinnerware. If you have some kind of stoneware that has that rough ridge on the bottom that will make it worse. A set of dishes is less than a new table. Also doublewall drinkware helps prevent rings from condensation.
  • PRO
    Gabberts Design Studio
    hace 11 años
    We sell custom table protectors that are available in many finishes, that will blend in with your wood top. It has a felt bottom to protect the finish. They are custom made to fit your exact table. Please contact us at gabberts.com if interested. Thanks!
  • portpiro
    hace 11 años
    I agree with judyg. Unless it's highly polished which it does not appear to be, scratching is unlikely to be a problem. Not unless you have guests who throw cutlery around or a cat that is likely to leap onto it. If it's painted, it can always be refinished at some later date if the unthinkable happens. Otherwise, I am not adverse to glass tops. I have one on a white coffee table and I have to say it's been a great blessing.
  • Inyoung Kim
    hace 10 años
    did you get the glass top? I bought the same table. and I am worrying about the same problem.. do you think the table will be fine with a glass top? I can't imagine..
  • c0c0ha
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I bought the table and been using it without a glass top, and it's been fine. We just rely on coasters and placemats. Haven't had any accident of spilling wine or ketchup etc... Over time with some use, the surface feels a lot smoother and we are quite happy with it.
  • c0c0ha
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    But that being said, I gotta mention that we are adult oriented household without any kids and we don't host parties. It's strictly for our daily use.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    The wood tables from RH are sealed and do not get scratched . Unless you are using a knife on it. You are only using it for your personal use, and no kids. I don't think you have to do anything to it. The table you are buying is beautiful. Enjoy it for years to come
  • Christine Erhardt
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    C0c0ha, did you end up putting any kind of wax finish on the table? I also just bought one and am concerned about spills. I have two teenage children. :/
  • c0c0ha
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Chleonie, no we did n't put any finish on the table. We are using it as is and so far so good. But we don't have any teenage children and don't host parties either, so it's been easier to maintain the table.
  • Geneviève
    hace 10 años
    I have already suggested to someone else this idea and they loved it ,now I will share it with you hoping that you will like it as well,
    My suggestion was to get a tempered glass cut to size and placed on top of the table top . your table will never get a scratch on it and it will be very easy to clean up.
  • Laura
    hace 10 años
    Have to mention using Rubio Monocoat. It is a hardwood oil. Check out their website. It is recommended for your table.
  • Christine Erhardt
    hace 10 años
    Laura, I saw that as well. I am not sure though because I do think our table has some type of finish on it. (Just not much of one) So I am not sure if it is ok to use it.
  • Laura
    hace 10 años
    I would have to agree with judianna20 then. Great thing about real wood is it can be refinished. Until then enjoy. It's a rustic table that will better with age.
  • decorideas523
    hace 10 años
    I just bought the same table (almost) from RH. I do have grandkids. I am going to opt to wax the top only with a clear wax - thin multiple coats. I am afraid that anything else, such as a poly base, would change the color. The clear wax should not change the color of the table, at least not so much that it would take away from the "look" of the table. I have several pieces of furniture that I have restored and used a wax for the final finish. These pieces have held up well and I can always re-wax if needed.
  • knelson84
    hace 9 años
    @decorideas523 how has the wax held up for you? We have young kids and are debating between moncoat and wax...I'm all for wear and tear but my husband is a bit concerned.
  • decorideas523
    hace 9 años
    Well, actually I got a little worried about the wax holding up over time also and decided to use a non-waxed shellac. It did darken the piece slightly, but I am okay with this. The main reason we decided not to use wax on the RH table is that the wood was obviously old and porous. I was concerned that if we did wax it, the wax would never come off if we hated it. It would sink into the wood too much. The non-waxed shellac was by far the better choice. It did raise the grain, but I opted not to sand this out - I like the look and have had no problem with my grandchildren using the table. Also with the non-waxed shellac, I could wax it later if I wanted to.
  • vickyy24
    hace 9 años
    I do have the exact same massive table! I'm truly in love with it. We originally were going to purchase the 2 leg table, but opted for this monastery style one instead being almost 2k cheaper. We also got this one because the RH seller said this would hold up much better with spills etc. However, like you I am afraid to spill on it or eat directly on it without a table cloth (which drives me crazy because it covers the beauty of it!) Anyway, I do have an 17 month old and I do host many parties... can you suggest the best way to wipe down or clean the table?? Do I use a specific wood cleaner? I'm definitely afraid to put a wax coat on it, and a glass top will take away from the overall style of the table (plus my husband hates that.) We only moved in 2 months ago and we will eventually use our Island as the main eating spot, but we dont have stools yet (or chairs as yous see in the photo.) Help!
  • eholley
    hace 9 años
    A glass top. It will be costly to get a glass top that size and the glass will scratch. It will also color the wood as it will have a greenish cast. Pads do help but I got so used to having the pads cover (not as careful with pads) my beautiful dining table that I haven't seen it in years. Why cover it? Just enjoy it!
  • PRO
    B & S Furniture
    hace 9 años
    We carry only high end furniture ( EJ Victor, Century, Ralph Lauren) and the ONLY product we use on our case goods is Guardsman Furniture Polish. We purchase it from True Value Hardware stores. Hope that helps! Jan
  • melissaboyes
    hace 8 años

vickyy24, how did you end up protecting your table? I just purchased the same one, not realizing it was unsealed (why oh why doesn't RH just seal them?!?!). This will be our primary eating and working space, and we have small children and entertain frequently. I've read differing advice around Rubio Monocoat, tung oil, and paste varnish. I don't care about scratches, but I don't want stains!

• david s
    hace 8 años

I bought a round reclaimed wood dining table from RH and the first day I had it someone dropped butter on it and ruined it - I got RH to replace it as they never explained "never use water or never clean it with anything else than a dry cloth". They shipped me a new table and gave me a can of briwax. I am now sitting at my table with a 60 inch round glass top - no more worries!

• cri84cket
    hace 6 años
  • melissaboyes
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Update: I ended up using Rubio Monocoat 2C Natural Oil (pure/clear) on the Restoration Hardware Monastery Table in "Gray Acacia" I purchased two years ago; many spills and craft projects later, it has held up beautifully and has no stains or blemishes. I used the oil on the entire table so that there wouldn't be any color differences in the finish (it did ever-so-slightly deepen the color). It was very quick and easy to use, and the 350 mL size was more than enough, even though I had to do two coats because the wood was so dry and thirsty! I also regularly use the Monocoat cleaning spray soap, which helps maintain the finish. The small bottle of concentrate lasts a very long time.

• Todd
    hace 6 años

Boshinski: We just bought the same table do you have any pictures of the table after you used the Rubio Monocoat? Or even better a before and after?

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.