Houzz Logo Print
huonggiang

HOW do I improve this great family room?

huonggiang
hace 11 años
From the front double door entrance, you walk into this great room (25 ft cathedral ceiling) with: a conversational group sofa, a beautiful 8X14ft oriental screen, fireplace, china cabinet being used as bookcase/magazine piece, and a big screen TV.
I use this room for family get-together, a relaxing room, and meditation room. I can I improve the ambience and functionality of this room? color? carpet? lighting? the most inexpensive way...please HELP!

Comentarios (40)

• charleee
    hace 11 años
    Everything Jenna said, plus, the torchiere lamp and the entertainment center are very 80's. Paint the entertainment center; lose the table? ottoman? with the black Asian legs. The mirror over the fireplace goes with nothing and the accessories there need to be unified.

Definetly lose the large black wall piece, it's distracting from very beautiful furniture.
  • Gina Spengel
    hace 11 años
    The chair scale and depth does not match the scale and depth of the sectional. It is even too large to sit in front of the fireplace, as it the table you are using next to it. Maybe the asian coffee table could be moved to the center to be used as the main coffee table? I know the ottoman matches the sectional but it might tie the screen in a little better. That large dark screen against the mint green walls is not working. Plus it seems crammed in behind the sectional. Is there anyway it could be hung on the extremely tall wall? Much higher up maybe...
    The gold mirror over the fire place seems very out of place and again, the wrong scale. Proportion is VERY IMPORTANT.
  • Melinda Caskey
    hace 11 años
    I think it is lovely. The color is great. I would ground the light furnishings and differentiate the space by adding a darker color like chocolate brown all the way around at about door height plus 6 inches. (just above the tall asian art panel) You could add a small strip of moulding where they meet that matches your floors to keep it clean looking.
  • sedlock carpentry
    hace 11 años
    Try orienting everything toward the fireplace. Add some serious color to the room- a large, colorful carpet with subtle pattern. You might use one in front of the couch and one behind on the way in to the room. If you can wrap your mind around painting the china cabinet, paint it to match the screen (I'm sensing the screen is an important element that's not negotiable...?) to give some balance. Add some darker bamboo shades to the doors on either side or pick up some color from the carpet and use it here..
    perhaps you won't be able to use the chair.

Can the cabinet be placed against the wall where the stairs are? I can't quite see that area.

Good luck!
  • Sarah Soliday
    hace 11 años
    I agree with everyone else so far. It may sound harsh, but my first thought is that you need to start over.

There is no harmony in the room at all. There are too many style choices mish-mashed together, and unfortunately, none of them compliment each other at all. I have a feeling that you really love the Asian screen, but it is just not good. It is too much for the room, as it dominates everything. The pillows don't go with the style of the sectional. There should not be a table and chair right in front of the fireplace. For such a large room, if looks as if everything is crammed to one side, and therefore it gives the illusion of being cramped and cluttered.

The rug is too small, and should be a darker colour.

Get rid of the curtains on the door and window.

Have you considered getting rid of the mirror and the dated china cabinet, and mounting the TV above the fireplace--then perhaps orienting the furniture to make the fireplace the focal point?

I would definitely change the wall colour no matter what you do.

If you pick one of your pieces that you really like, and use that as your inspiration, your room will come together much better.

Good luck!
  • PRO
    Drapery and Home Makeover by Carlos Oliveira
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    first change the wall color to something neutral. I particularly prefer off white, in order to not be in conflict with any art work. The huge oriental screen is dated and need to go. Large sectional must face the fire place, the side table is oversize and dated as well. I would change the rug, for something with more strong deep colors, brown shade; would add some accent pillows on the sofa and chair with same color pallet. This side windows "need" drapery panels, and based on the scale of your room, at least 10ft tall. (could be stationary panels) The stair case/handrails should be striped from the glossy varnish and stained with darker color (non glossy). Another are rug on the entrance, a console with a mirror. Side tables/coffee table and a couple of "good quality" lamps would make a huge and dramatic transformation for better there. (and if you need drapery guidance ... talk to me - or visit my page on houzz :o)
  • Nancy Brett
    hace 11 años
    The room strikes me as too colorful, cold and clunky. I would get rid of all the furniture, wall hanging and heavy mirror over fireplace. It is hiding the beautiful architecture elements of the room. Simple elegant lines and warmer colors is what I think that room is calling for. I do not prefer color on walls in a great room .. Painting with Dessert Fortress by Valspar would bring out the colors in the wood and add warmth. (retain white trim everywhere and on stairwell) That is all I would change. :-)
  • pgdesigns
    hace 11 años
    What a beautiful room! Love the screen! It SHOULD dominate the room! Its gorgeous! Dont try to "quiet" the screen. Amp up the volume of other things in the room to balance it. A larger carpet for sure, bolder in color as well. How do you feel about animal print? (I'm from Jersey...sorry.) An animal print carpet with black in it would be great! Add a few pillows with black in them to the couch to connect w/that gorgeous screen and proposed carpet. I would add a bold patterned carpet runner to the stairs. That would balance the "wow" in the room. One more thing, I'm a big fan of painting the INSIDE of the front door a great color. Instead of making it blend in with the trim, other doors, etc. Hard to pick an accent color for the door from the pics but don't wimp out. OR put a bold coordinating carpet in front of the front doors that is at least the width of the double doors. not a little door mat. I often order extra stair runner carpet and have it bound for this purpose. Patti Gurney Designs, LLC
  • larryhinkle
    hace 11 años
    I like the blue you have picked for the accent color and think it works with the furniture. I dont however like it on the wall. Im not a big beige person ...err neutral... but i think that room would be better served with a deeper neutral rather than the blue.

I am sure you have some great pieces in that armoire/display cabinet but they have no impact in the over sized museum like presentation. all the furniture is oriented toward it and doesnt seem an approriate focal point for conversation or lounging. Is that a TV in the corner. Chances are most people in the house would rather see the TV well than look at an oversized display case.

I do applaud that you didnt worry about the fireplace. For me they just seem to be there to be there, offer no functionality and take up valuable wall space.
  • Sharon Mefford
    hace 11 años
    Take out the armchair that's blocking the fireplace. Remove the ottoman in front of the sectional and replace it with the oriental table that's in front of the fireplace. If you don't need the curtains for privacy, remove them. The rug is too small. One problem is the scale, as has been mentioned before. The screen is huge, the sectional is huge and they dwarf the rug. Get something larger. If you don't want to remove the screen, you need to balance it with a little more black. I would hang a mirror over the fireplace with a black frame, or a group of pictures in black frames. The fireplace is decorated with items that are too small.
  • PRO
    Journey's End at the Beach
    hace 11 años
    All of the above. What I see is blue walls, white trim and beige furniture and I would try to stick to that.
    The screen has to go... do a gallery wall with all white or beige frames. Go to the dollar store to get inexpensive frames in the same style and spray paint them if you can't get them all the same color. Have a poster size photo of your family, a favorite vacation spot made at your local drug store. If you don't have a frame have lowes or home depot cut moldings to size, paint and attach to acrylic poster frame.
    Don't block the doors or the fireplace.
    If you can find another spot, even as an end table for either the chair or section, paint it and the lamp white...paint the mirror white too.
    The hardest part is opening the can of white paint...
    Good Luck.
  • Black_Rain_11
    hace 11 años
    If it were me, I would change the dark wall-art. I would move the harlequin chair to where the hutch is. I would relocate the little table by that chair. I agree with getting rid of the curtains on either side of the window/door. take the rug that you have and move it horizontally to give it a more impactful appearance. I think the fireplace has great potential, but as it is now the small items give it a cluttered feeling. add some bigger high-impacting items, a stunning vase with some decorative corkscrew branches perhaps... you could paint that mirror white and slightly distress it... and get a fancy chandelier hanging in there would be a very nice touch... lighting is architectural jewelry. would love to see updated pictures!
  • stoneface
    hace 11 años
    I agree with so many comments here. The balance is off. Though the visual weight of the cabinet and the screen are similar, the cabinet needs to be darker. Also agree that it's very 80's and colour isn't going to change that. The chair and the table in front of the fireplace need to go. There's too much going on and they're blocking the focal point. More black in the room, to anchor the screen. Carpet is much too small and I agree that it should be darker. The mirror on the fireplace should have something larger and weightier on either side. Cheapest option would be to throw some black pillows on the sofa to bring that colour down and away from the screen.
  • PRO
    Nicole Smith
    hace 11 años
    I agree with most of the comments above. Do you have 2 focal points TV and fireplace? I would get the dark wood panels off the wall and perhaps move sectional on the other side where the hutch is. Put tv over fireplace. Bigger rug lose the tables. Get some that match the hutch. Those shades on the windows don't work at all. And mirror is all wrong the fireplace needs more interesting pieces The chair and the ottoman look like the wrong scale for the sectional. If the black wall pieces are a must have than you have add a lot more black to balance out the room. For example toss pillows throws. Area rug and perhaps paint the cabinet black and then add black to your accessories over the fireplace as well.
    Best of luck
    Nicole
  • Linda Anthony
    hace 11 años
    the large 'vase' must also go - too much furniture. When you do everything Bobbi & Jenna suggest - move the furniture out of the room & start over. What they are calling the entertainment center is actually a cupboard of some type - right?
    Delete: china cupboard, wall mural, outdated light, black aisian leg table, & fireplace mirror.

Now, mount the TV over the fireplace. Move the sectional so you face it when you come in either door. Sectional facing fireplace with 'lounge' end along the wall where the china cupboard set, allowing room to get around on both sides. A nice table, behind the main part of the sofa with a couple lamps and something larger in-between them on that table. Other side table moves & stays at that same end of the couch. Now, the overstuffed single chair would probably look lovely in your bedroom... And a couple of 'side chairs', with or without arms, on each side of the fireplace facing the sectional. Make sure the doors clear and they can be close together, for conversation... can easily be moved for extra seating elsewhere. If you have a couple nice dining room chairs, try them there before purchasing so you know what size would fit nicely.
    Ottoman remains in front of the sofa - could add a serving tray on top, of a different color, with three objects on it for added design.
    Now, the rug should be at LEAST big enough for all furniture to fit the front legs on the carpet OR, one which is about 2' off each wall. The one you have adds a lot of character, but is too small. Perhaps put that at the bottom of your staircase.
    Also, remove the small piece of carpet from in front of the door. It appears you have a porch outside the door which could have a carpet on which to wipe wet feet and/or leave shoes...

Now, visualize - your couch will welcome people as they walk in the door - look inviting. If you must keep the china, paint it high-gloss black (not black/black, but a shade of black one UP from black/black) and see if it will fit on the wall where you have the huge mural. This will pick up the black in the fireplace and the black in the one end tale we've saved.

A classy chandelier would be really nice there! There are many from which to choose - perhaps one with a black drum shade on it as well. Go to the thousands of rooms on this site for table & lamp and chandler ideas.

Items on fireplace mantel are too small... and won't go with TV there. Put some pop's of black in the china too - some bright "raspberry sorbe' in pillows and in china are beautiful with this shade of walls and furniture. Perhaps consider painting china raspberry for a wonderful 'pop' of color. The room could really use an additional color...
  • elcieg
    hace 11 años
    Too blue! Do not like the ottoman; replace with the asian tea table. Remove the window panels, the rug and the accent chair. Paint the walls a dark and striking color. Replace the rug with seagrass. Pull the sectional away from the wall and fold the beautiful coromandel screen like a big accordion.
    Asian Staircase · Más información
  • trish nelson
    hace 11 años
    Ok, not working with any dimensions but a quick sketch.... turn the couch, maybe put a console table behind it to greet the front door (?). There is a lot of circulation through this room so I am giving up the one door to the side of the Fireplace. Put the tv on the current black wall, put the black panels on the walk/pathway where I can only guess is the current tv. Something larger over the fp with colors to tie it all together. Also, lose the ottoman, and get a great coffee table that ties it together too.... good luck, you have a great space, it will come together!
  • trish nelson
    hace 11 años
    also agree with above, new larger rug!
  • Susan Glenn
    hace 11 años
    The biggest impact would be to remove that screen entirely. That color happens to be one of my favorites..I LOVE Aqua, but then..we live near (not ON, just NEAR) the ocean, and anything beach-glassy makes me deliriously happy. A few Asian pieces are fine, but the flooring is light, the walls are light and airy and you've got HIGH ceilings, so I'd try to keep everything light...very few dark Oriental pieces..and no chair in front of a fireplace!! That's your focal wall!! You could use a larger rug..it's gorgeous, but better suited for your foyer or an upstairs landing. Here's an aqua living space with OLIVE accessories..and it is GORGEOUS...You've got a fabulous start...moving a few things to other rooms and adding things as you can... http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tRICOvyZfs8/TfAvXARJPnI/AAAAAAAAA64/YQ5bzGIlgO0/s1600/aqua+and+green+3.jpg
  • Bridget White
    hace 11 años
    Agree with James (on the Facebook comments) about the fireplace and the upper unused space. If you can't switch out the sectional for individual pieces then turn it around to take advantage of the fireplace, or maybe even break it into pieces to create a sofa and chaise along with the chair. Something more on the fireplace wall too, draw attention to those great windows and to the fireplace itself.
  • Lorene Frank Farrior
    hace 11 años
    The Asian elements are beautiful but weigh down the room. To lighten and brighten, introduce a new color and add more white. Wall color is soothing. Replace rug with an organic texture in a solid white or light color. Replace screen or turn it around around and paint it off white with bamboo branches (same color as floor) Add large simple mirror above fireplace, should tower above windows, or large piece of botanical art, or something interesting in raw silk. Move chair next to staircase, add plant stand with fern or orchid. Eliminate pillow from chair and add shawl or throw. Place large vase to one side of fireplace. Put modern white shades on floor lamps. Take down window coverings and center lamps in front of window. If you must, keep bamboo blinds. Take doors off of china cabinet and paint white. Add photographs, small collections, deities, small orchids/plants, books and smaller vase from shelf above door. Ditch magazines....there"s plenty of beautiful pictures and ideas right here:) Group together entry art if you must keep them, paint frames white. If you must keep ornate mirror, place on one of the entrance walls, paint white. Maybe, add plants to shelf above door and fireplace shelf. Add organic tray to ottoman in light shade. Change out pillows on sectional to something lighter with texture.
  • huonggiang
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    wow....a SIMPLE BIG THANK YOU to everyone....for all the caring ideas suggestions!
    I love to learn...so please keep your comments, ideas, and suggestions coming....I got work to do....but this is fun and so energizing.
    Our home was in a total fire....so only a few remaining pieces remain....it's ok...we can make it WHOLE again! THANK YOU!
  • olderthebetter
    hace 11 años
    Love the Asian pieces and I think those should be your inspiration. Try incorporating more colors from the screen and vase into throw pillows, throws, and a larger Oriental rug. I agree a darker color is in order, and the furniture definitely needs to be edited and reconfigured. Please don't put the t.v. over the fireplace. I DESPISE that. Instead, if you can, put it on the wall where the china cabinet is now. Lose the cabinet, if you can, and go for something lower and Asian-inspired--lacquer or "bamboo".
  • Lisa Barrett
    hace 11 años
    PAINT walls Benjamin Moore white dove, move chair to diagonal, move rug to foyer, get a new sisal size 8 1/2x10 under sectional, consider hanging the screen or get rid of altogether, large palm tree in corner, get a few larger white or cream pillows in a natural fabric like linen or cotton to soften the shiny silk or get rid if them altogether and go with grey white and cream. Buy a few lamps in a gourd shape or with a drum shade to give a more contemporary/transitional feel. And slipcover the ottoman in the same fabric as pillows, it's tooo matchy matchy!!
  • lmbarton22
    hace 11 años
    Separate the entry area with tile floor, bold color paint and extend the ceiling above out. The staircase needs a large promenade newel at the bottom of each rail. The fireplace should have black marble surround and a stone chimney above. On either side of the fireplace I would have the window be the window with bold trim wide slat blinds and the door be a door with grilles and no treatment. Paint everything but the entry a neutral color maybe alabaster white. I would paint the doors black. The sofa is great but lose a section and position it in front of the fireplace. I would do a shag rug and colorful throw pillow in reds, golds and green and a touch of black. Recover the chair in a pattern same color as throw pillows and position it in corner by window. I would use the screen, but minus a couple panels and use it as a screen not a wall hanging. Replace the glass cabinet with a large dark wood cabinet or book case with room for TV. Replace ceiling fan with large beautiful light fixture and re accessorize everything with just a touch of Asian. Spray paint the mirror black and reuse it above fireplace.
  • ncolosimo
    hace 11 años
    I would darken the shade of blue on the wall and reconfigure the sectional. Paint out the entertainement center....perhaps paint out the stairs. Pick a new patterned rug and pillows that echo the screen if that is a piece you love. It seems that you really like that screen. Pick tones and patterns/theme from the screen and echo it in the accents...Or just start again. You have a nice big space with a solid sectional- you could go in a new direction. If the screen is the thing- what about red or dark wheat/goldenish tones for wall paint. Just don't forget baseboards etc., they have to change with the change in paint to compliment.
  • houzyadoin
    hace 11 años
    With the height I'm thinking you can get away with figuring a good point for a slightly medium to darker shade at a lower level (i.e., sky blue or soft petal coral) up to perhaps the bottom of some furr downs in the room and then a lighter complimentary version (i.e., softer almost white sky blue and or soft light warm gray) up to the ceiling. Although beautiful; the asian screen has a weighty feel and could hang something else there or across the room. i.e., an interesting light woven light pendant hung down over a reading corner would also play with vertical space in the room. I would consider removing the upholstered chair to a wood framed (possibly smaller leather) and reduce a section of the sofa and consider slip covering with another gray linen fabric (i.e., Restoration hardware linen fabric colors). Consider some rough hewn wood horizontal asian artifacts to hang on the wall behind the sofa. First consider relocating the upper portion of the wood display case add legs and move to a hall or library room. Finish the base as in gray wash tones. Relocate completely if possible to other rooms. If the blonde wooden display case must remain in the room. Consider at a gray chalk paint to it with a white wash and add vented supported top board. Atop that set another an earthy natural rough texture artifact there. Replace the upholster ottoman with 2 small black steel tables or one rough wood top table. Consider no fabric drapery but stay with bamboo shades or replace with top down bottom up bamboo shades. Paint the mirror frame a smoky dark gray or replace with taller rectilnear mirror. Punch color with a woven dhurrie and punch color with accent pillows and as well well as increase art to the walls up vertically. Added a 6'x6' square rug at the floor area in a woven sisal. Coordinate with a striped runner rug fitted up the stairs to the top landing area. Melley Nelson design layout is one good config to consider in relocating the sofa as well as the panels. Interesting vertical challenges. Review vertical spaces you like and what is it. Enjoy!
  • jimmythegreek
    hace 11 años
    i would add stone to the walls,remove the black panels add a oversised rug
  • jimmythegreek
    hace 11 años
    i would add stone to the walls,remove the black panels add a oversised rug
  • PRO
    Custom Home Planning Center
    hace 11 años
    1st reconcile that this room is a wide hall with traffic flow against the side walls toward the french doors. Keep your Ilse clear.

A "U" shaped sofa is the proper center piece facing the fire place with a well placed coffee table.

A large mirror with a half circle head to match the doors goes over the mantel.

Keep the room simple and don't over clutter. That will be more relaxing .
  • joannamato
    hace 11 años
    Too crowded. The beautiful panels looks like they are lending against the wall. Everything is too big for the space and smashed together.
  • Susan Hamideh
    hace 11 años
    First of all get rid of the green ,where do you live which plays an intricate part in what kind of Interior you have
  • PRO
    Jennifer Scully Designs
    hace 11 años
    The sofa is too large and goes beyond the staircase plus isn't relating to the fireplace. It is instead blocking it off. Replace oversized sectional with two straight sofas perpendicular to the fireplace, lose the Oriental screen and replace with smaller artwork in scale with the wall, place an area rug flanking sofa area with a cocktail table in the center, apply a warmer color on the wall- try Sherwin Williams Sand. Apply crown moulding and paint a bright white. Add color with area rug, window treatments and throw pillows.
  • michigammemom
    hace 11 años
    This is an elegant spacious room and your Oriental screen is a gorgeous work of art. Presently your sectional seating is oriented toward the large curio cabinet and your lovely fireplace is obscured by the lounge chair. I would suggest replacing the display cabinet with an Asian inspired dark console for your TV screen, removing the chair in front of the fireplace and replacing the ottoman with the dark Asian coffee table which is too low to be used as an end table anyway. I love the colors in your area rug, but I agree with most posters that it is woefully undersized and should extend the full width of your fireplace. My personal preference would be to paint a darker neutral drawn from your screen.
    Lotus Console by Environment Furniture · Más información
  • Julie
    hace 11 años
    I would love to know the brand or where you purchased the sectional
  • PRO
    Best Plumbing Tile & Stone
    hace 11 años
    I say lose the chair and side table. It is blocking your fabulous fireplace and doesn't match the scale and style of the sectional. I would paint the hutch dark to match the oriental wall art and balance it off. I'm not sure if it would fit, but have you tried the sofa on the wall where you have your hutch and tv? It would open up the space when you walk in so you're not walking directly into the sofa. I would add two simple and small chairs opposite the sofa to make it more conversation friendly, especially since the TV is at an angle anyway. I agree that a darker blue would be nicer - try Benjamin Moore's Wolf Gray.
  • huonggiang
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    houssaon,
    what is the teal color?
  • neelhtak43
    hace 11 años
    look and see what pieces you really like. then start with that. i for one like the screen but it needs to be where it is not covered by the sofa and also the urn by the steps very beautiful. you have every thing lined up on the walls. use the floor area and go up the walls . it looks like you have very high ceiling. look in your closet to see what colors you like a hint to what to paint the walls. I think TV's need to be at a comfortable eye level.
  • PRO
    Michal Yiftah Rotem, MYR Architecture
    hace 11 años
    The screen is too heavy and dark for this room. Furniture is blocking the fireplace. I would put away screen and the blocking furniture and put a low long upholstered bench opposite the long side of the sofa to make the seating area more defined. color od the bench can be like the light blue cushions on the sofa. Its recommended to use a light object or painting instesd of the dark screen. Good luck!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.