cahabamama

.I need help arrranging furniture in a room with very few walls.

cahabamama
hace 11 años
My room is 16x19, one wall with french doors and side windows, another wall with fireplace and bookshelves, another 9'cased opening into kitchen, and one10' wall. The foyer opening into the room is 8'. I am not attached to anything except the sofa. I feel like too much junk as been accumulated. In particular, I need comfy chairs. I have tough skin. Don't hold back! Thanks.

Comentarios (14)

• PRO
    Val Provost
    hace 11 años
    Congratulations! Your room has great bones! You just need to tweek a few things. I agree that you should pair down. Too many chair, too many styles and colors. How do feel about rehapohlstering your two best pieces? Also, a coffee table in front of the sofa would tie it all together.
  • cahabamama
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    The dark green and paisley chair are gonners. The small green chair needs new fabric for sure. Does the patterned rug need to go? It clashes with so much. I want a warm, cozy room that says ahhh! Except for two lamps, we have only overhead light. There is no where to place lamps.
    When I see the room in these pictures I hate it even more. Keep the ideas coming please.
  • PRO
    ARX DESIGN
    hace 11 años
    Hi, I am new here. You would excuse my english... i´m from el Salvador so I´ll do my best!. I think you have a nice place. There are some potentialities you should reinforce: White mouldings in doors, windows and chimeney (these give a sense of unity) The wood floor color is great. So, I would sugest you some ideas:
    1- Maybe you could change the color of the walls. A more contrasting colo. Try neutral colors like dark greys or some blue color like sherwin williams SW7612 Mountain Stream. Can you imagine it. It would look great.
    2-Close the two niches over the lateral shelves. They look confusing, like wasted space. Put a couple of white doors (same pattern as the mouldings) in each of them, so you could really use that space as storing.
    3- Find another location for the TV. I think actual location is not confortable and doesent really fit it this side of the room. Maybe you could find a better place.
    4- Add some interesting floor lamp. At night it youd feel more cozy.
    5- As someone said. Put fewer furniture.
    7- I you can. Remodel the base of your chimeney. The stone around looks bulky. It would look great a cleaner and more space eficient design.

Good luck
  • houssaon
    hace 11 años
    I can see this room painted a light grey. If you keep the rug and the sofa and get new chairs I'd go for a deep raspberry.

Otherwise, If you get a new rug, look for one like this that has the yellow and the blue in it.
    Edwina Drummond Interiors · Más información
    like the green, too, since green is yellow and blue.

I would take the things off the top of the built-ins and get a larger wider picture. I think you have too many objects on the shelves.
  • dsnguru1
    hace 11 años
    I think that 4 comfortable arm chairs with a round coffee table/ ottoman might be the best solution for seating. Style of chair will determine feel of room, casual or formal. Might be better for traffic flow.
    I like the carpet and so does the dog!
    Look for a console or small scale desk and hutch in place of the shelf behind the couch to balance the pieces on the right side of entry. This is another spot you could put a lamp.
    The tv is HUGE and overpowers the storage wall. One way to minimize the scale of it is to wallpaper or paint the back of the shelves a dark color to minimize the contrast. Perhaps down lights in the cabinet and up lights over them?
    You have a lovely home and it feels like a home not just a house.
  • PRO
    Casa La Bella Ltd
    hace 11 años
    There are so many "sight lines" in this room. I would go for visual impact by painting the fireplace wall and woodwork the same color to add drama and height. Simplify the contents in the book cases by having a common theme... same colored picture frames, neutral book covers and organics for softness.
  • PRO
    Casa La Bella Ltd
    hace 11 años
    ps. skip the the fan by adding drama with a fabulous chandelier:)
  • michigammemom
    hace 11 años
    If you want a serene, inviting room I agree that the black Oriental rug is overly bold. Start by selecting an area rug that draws on the blue green color of your leather sofa. The 4 mismatched chairs are also very visually distracting. If a pair of matched chairs is not in the budget, consider eliminating both the dark green and striped chair, then slip cover the paisley chair and ottoman in a solid cream fabric. Browse through houzz images for examples of bookshelf decor. Your display will be more impactful if there are fewer and larger items to look at. I would venture to guess that you should pare down about half of your present collection. I also don't see any useable occasional tables near your seating...places to set a drink or a book. A glass coffee table and at least one side table would be great additions.
    Mia Persian-Style Rug · Más información
  • cahabamama
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Wow, thanks for all the ideas. Some I can do (declutter), some I cannot (like move the tv) Painting scares me because almost the entire bottom floor of our house is this pale yellow. I admit to having too many photos. With 4 kids and 5 grandkids, I keep adding (I lack self-control obviously). Should the chairs on both sides of the fireplace go or have a matched pair maybe? I have considered a coffee table but wonder if it will eat up the floor space. I am so appreciate of your ideas.
  • cahabamama
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Another concern for me is that my dining room rug and foyer rug are all coordinated with the black rug in the living area. Will that be odd to add a rug that is completely different?
  • cahabamama
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Aren't you clever! I especially like the pair of chairs. I have always been partial to symmetry. The pale rug looks very clean and fresh (though it might not be practical with kids and dogs). Thanks so much for your make over. The "stuff" over the top shelves is not even missed. Lots for me to consider!
  • PRO
    AW Interior Design
    hace 11 años
    Thanks,

Aha!, kids and dogs definitely wont fair well on the above carpet, if you want to change it go for something strong and reasonably clean, sisal is very hardy and good with lots of 'traffic' around the house, see example carpet type. All the best and if you need any other help you're welcome to contact me.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 11 años
    My "consultation" is on your other post. I like the yellow, so no worries about changing it.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.