Houzz Logo Print
judyjones021448

plywood floors for cheap alternative to remodel

judyjones021448
hace 11 años
I would like to know the best way to install and finish a plywood floor.

Comentarios (11)

• PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    hace 11 años
    Btw do you plan a Diy ?
  • charleee
    hace 11 años
    What kind of subfloor are you putting the plywood over? Wood? Concrete?
  • sh ca
    hace 11 años
    I don't think this will be as cheap as you think it will if you actually want it to look nice. Are you planning to use full sheets or cut them in strips? What thickness of plywood? What are you attaching this floor to? Are you planning to stain it or just seal it?
  • judyjones021448
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    There is old wood underneath,
  • judyjones021448
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Full sheets 1/2 inch and stain.
  • PRO
    Journey's End at the Beach
    hace 11 años
    I have seen allot of DIY floors where the plywood is laid in full sheets or cut in squares or planks and painted with porch paint or stained and sealed... if I wasn't looking for it, I'd be able to find it but because I was looking, of course, I couldn't find it! I decided to do this to my floors because I could move furniture around the areas I'm doing. I hope this makes sense: I'll cut sheet of plywood in planks to fit area; stain and seal and then put down. I did find plank walls which is the same principal which might help you go on... good luck

http://theinspiredroom.net/2012/08/08/adding-character-wood-plank-walls/
  • judyjones021448
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks for all the comments....this will make the process easier.
  • mpoulsom
    hace 11 años
    I did it in my last house years ago. And as K.O.H says....paint and stain before you lay down. I actually did 2'x2' squares in a checkerboard pattern (Black & Tan basically). Used black floor paint and screwed those squares down because I could putty and paint over them but knew they would grip better than nails. The other squares were stained a light natural honeyish type color. I did use finish nails for those pieces. Then after everything was down I put a sealant on the whole floor. It got a bit scuffed up over the years, dogs, children, parties, but for the most part it was a great inexpensive DIY project. Don't think I'll ever have a black floor again though. It was tough keeping it looking clean. I'm not the best housekeeper in the universe either though! lol!
    A friend of mine also did plywood floors in her art gallery and it looked fantastic. She did whole sheets and kind of white-washed it, then sealed it with a high gloss sealant.
  • ruthmand
    hace 11 años
    The plywood flooring is very difficult to keep clean even if sealed as it will never be very smooth. I suggest you find an inexpensive vynil to put over it. They make some great looking stuff these days.
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    hace 11 años
    Yes , I have my doubts , as you will miss that wood look .
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.