Houzz Logo Print
judyborlin

BackSplash suggestions, please :)

Judy Borlin
hace 9 años
so we have our beautiful floors in and Friday they installed our granite. Now all I have to do is select a backsplash. With all the activity on the floor ( wood) and all the activity going on in my Granite (breathtaking granite) I'm leaning towards a subtle, quiet backsplash and needed some good advice. Please help !!! Photos attached.

Comentarios (149)

• Marianna Piller
    hace 9 años
    I think copper tiles would pick up the colors in your granite and the warm wood floors, add a little sparkle, and not be too busy. I also think your granite is gorgeous, but putting it on the walls may be more pattern that you want.
  • berthayoung
    hace 9 años
    Everyone says tile, tile, tile...but we just painted our kitchen backsplash in an eggshell finish. It started as a temporary solution until we could pick out tile but once done we loved the paint. It is serene, durable, easily washable, and no grout to scrub.
  • croscher
    hace 9 años
    I,too, have a busy colorful granite. I opted for a simple marble tile with matched narrow grout lines. I picked out a neutral tone from in the granite. I chose a tone-on-tone pattern to make it a little more interesting without being too busy. A soft gray marble could work for you.
  • Melanie Poland
    hace 9 años
    I have to chime in and throw support at the idea of subway tiles. I would do a translucent rather than white though. Your granite is absolutely gorgeous - let it take center stage. Subway tiles are quiet and timeless and they take on the personality of the other elements. Here's the translucent subway tile I'm talking about. Our counters are soapstone and like your beautiful granite, I thought they needed to be what really stood out.
  • alwaysdesigning
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    The backsplash should be a neutral with no pattern that will compete with the granite. I would also keep it either a white backsplash and matching grout or dark grey with dark grout lines to make it all look seamless, or a painted back glass that would be seamless in either white or matching grey color. Just my personal opinion. Good luck.
    [houzz=]
    [houzz=
    A Chef's Dream · Más información
    ]
    [houzz=]
    [houzz=
    Mirador C · Más información
    ]
    [houzz=
    Kitchen with Coffee Area · Más información
    ]
  • vintagemodchic
    hace 9 años
    I love the counters I would opt for a natural stone in a puddy color beige matching counters and one row of a black glass tile half way up. Double a row if you like. Also could use a glass tile in a coppery tone for pop
  • SandraandGianni Mattina
    hace 9 años
    Hi there!! I just cant see using a white/cream tile....there is already so much white cabinetry...need something to complement gorgeous granite colours....how about matching the lightest warm grey shade from the granite? I love Heath Ceramic tiles...www.heathceramics.com , they do a beautiful small scale herringbone pattern in their Tapestry Collection that would suit your traditional style...and check out all their lovely glazes...glossy and matte. Good Luck ...and I hope you let us all know what you end up choosing!! ~Sandra
  • SandraandGianni Mattina
    hace 9 años
    Heath Ceramics also have gorgeous Dimensional Tiles....go with a neutral glaze....you get interest in the shape and texture ...so different and exciting!!
  • ljfq
    hace 9 años
    I'll second those who say to start with just paint and let the granite be the star! You might find you don't need any tile at all. An eye-catching backsplash can be a very expensive and irreversible mistake that immediately dates your space.
  • Carlo Restano
    hace 9 años
    consider to use slatelite http://www.slate-lite.de/?page_id=8&lang=en or similar. Is very easy to install and is very thin (ideal to use in a semi-completed situation or to put on a previus backsplash)
  • Elena Veitner
    hace 9 años
    "Whait oak" floor is answer. Coloured yours floor.
  • Karl Kolesnikoff
    hace 9 años
    Here is a picture of our counter. We did not put a back splash in because we couldn't decide. So I painted it and calked it. The only problem I have had with it is the temperature differences between the wall and the granite. As seasons change the caulking pulls away from the granite or the wall. I have to redo it more often then I should. Some day I will get to putting in a shallow backsplash or maybe not. Maybe you don't need a fancy backsplash. Maybe just paint that brings out the beauty of you granite. Simplicity is best. If your kitchen is like mine, the backsplash is obscured by all of the kitchen "stuff".
  • breta000
    hace 9 años
    Choose your favorite color from the backsplash, maybe one that is a bit subtle, and do that color in back-painted glass. SOO easy to clean, just one color to tie-up everything.
    Judy Borlin agradeció a breta000
  • breta000
    hace 9 años
    OOPS...I mean the GRANITE, to paint the glass.
  • Anita Foster
    hace 9 años
    I have the same granite and a good color would be a nickle accent which has some brown and grey metallic hues that will go good with browns in the flooring and greys in your granite
  • PRO
    Tilescape ( A Division of Tile and Glass Depot)
    hace 9 años
    I'd love to see a textured stone, like a 2x6 split face marble, which wouldn't be grouted, or a honed, rectified light walnut stone in 3x9 format with a charcoal grout. t looks really great if a 25-30% offset is used. If all of the surfaces are polished, they tend to reflect each other. Also, are you keeping your cabinets? Maybe remove the "apron" above the window..............Good luck!
    Judy Borlin agradeció a Tilescape ( A Division of Tile and Glass Depot)
  • PRO
    J & J Carpet One & Cabinetry
    hace 9 años
    Beautiful floors and granite! I would definitely suggest a 3 X 6 tile for your back splash as there is a lot of movement in your granite selection and I would avoid a multi-color glass tile! Good luck in your project!
    Judy Borlin agradeció a J & J Carpet One & Cabinetry
  • georgiannaclays
    hace 9 años
    Please take a sample of your beautiful granite, a kit. Cabinet door, floor sample and head over to your tile place with a trusted friend who whose taste you admire and get a few samples. Keep it simple. Don't match blue. You need something to pick up the lighter color in granite and blend with cabinets. If you try match match and color is wrong you will live with for ever. Pick Something that will let your granite shine as it should. Do not go trendy, thatgoes out of style. I can picture larger tiles, very small grout lines with a diamond of glass inter disperses sparingly also in neutral color.
    Judy Borlin agradeció a georgiannaclays
  • georgiannaclays
    hace 9 años
    Good luck. I find back splash's the hardest to integrate, because it must be a perfect fit with all parts of kitchen. I decided to use corian back splash to match counters because corian comes thin enough width for perfect back splash and I love it. Granite come only counter thickness and looks awkward and bulky on wall. Relax, take your time. Be sure. Ask people who visit to see your samples. Tile in store may look perfect, but when you get it home it may look terrible. There is a perfect backsplash out there for you. If you need to,hire decorator for this portion. But, don't count on decorator, you are the finial decision maker
  • loves2read
    hace 9 años
    White subway tile w/minimal grout--that blends in to tile vs accents itself--

too much movement in that granite to have lot of grout lines which also visualize as movement across the wall

IF you would consider a sheet glass backsplash in large pieces w/the wall painted behind in white to blend w/your granite that would work as well--can be mounted to wall with screws vs permanently.

Personally I think any type of 3-d tile is going to work against the granite--because that will add movement and thus compete with movement in granite
  • hroll
    hace 9 años
    A glass tile mosaic in soft grey would look nice.
  • mariafrankie
    hace 9 años
    when i first saw this post -i thought it was my home (i have the same granite and cabinets) !!! use white subway tile with white grout...you will LOVE it ! my kitchen is STUNNING !!!!
  • mariafrankie
    hace 9 años
    heres a pic
    Judy Borlin agradeció a mariafrankie
  • steveky
    hace 9 años
    nicely done!
    Judy Borlin agradeció a steveky
  • B Bert
    hace 9 años
    Perfect!
    Judy Borlin agradeció a B Bert
  • Jo Ann Policastro-Yoselevich
    hace 9 años
    Very nice, clean and classy. Enjoy it.
  • Jordan Smith
    hace 9 años
    Maybe a black backsplash that has tan pieces in it so that it matches a little bit.
  • Janet Dewberry
    hace 9 años
    White subway tile.
  • Dennis Allen
    hace 9 años
    Keep it simple, whatever you choose. Those counters don't need anything detracting from their beauty.
  • spisland
    hace 9 años
    The one color I wouldn't use for backsplash is white.
    White appliances, and off white cabinets seem to be enough of it with your mixed granite.

Taking a cue from your floors, maybe a gray (or light charcoal?) backsplash would be very pleasing, using light colored grout.

However, I would go with an interesting shaped Moroccan ceramic!
    Your beautiful granite still gets to be the star of the show.
  • Paula Lewis
    hace 9 años
    The granite is wonderful.
    I am agreeing with the people who suggested paint.
    We painted ours to blend with the color of our cabinets.
    And I hung a collection of blue transfer ware plates in the space.
    I can change it anytime and it is not going to look dated soon.
    Many tile backsplashes look dated already.
  • csofia23
    hace 9 años
    That granite is lovely Judy, such a unique pattern. I think a soft green glass subway tile would look beautiful
    Colfax Project by Christine Zondervan · Más información
  • PRO
    Hudson-Valley-Home
    hace 9 años
    Beautiful!
  • Judy Borlin
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    so I went to the tile shop and looked at the one million types of subway tile that everyone suggested and wow.. pretty overwhelming still. who would have thought there was such a variety. As I was looking through the subway tile options .. I noticed a stone tile "limestone" that caught my eye,. this has a small variety of textures ( to break up the solid color) but I loved the "non shiny" look and rougher texture. Am I out of my mind??? or do you think that could be an option also.
  • juleppark
    hace 9 años
    You are far from out of your mind. I find your choice interesting and pretty and more important than anyone's opinion is the fact that you love the look and texture. Go for it!
  • leelee
    hace 9 años
    So hard to know for sure from a small screen but these might be something to consider. Keep backsplash lighter than your counters.
  • PRO
    Sashya Thind
    hace 9 años
    It would be a beige vs the gray tones in the countertop. My suggestion is to stick with a white subway or a navy blue if you have undercounter. The subway could be beveled. Hope this helps!
  • spisland
    hace 9 años
    I always think it would be hard to clean a backsplash that isn't smooth, but whatever works for you is always best.

If you aren't set on textured, google merola mod frames tile.

Classic, not boring, definitely not subway, ties in all your tones :) I bought one, really love it!
  • karenkoon
    hace 9 años
    on my monitor, the tile looks pinkish and the counter looks yellowish, so i would say they don't "go." Maybe that same style comes in a different color?
  • lessismoore
    hace 9 años
    I like the smoother limestone samples. I've seen quite a few uses of rough and ledge stone back splashes here, for both kitchens and baths, and I have to wonder how those would really function, especially in terms of cleaning (or rubbing up against ledge stone in the shower, oh my!). My only other "concern." as this evolves, is that your kitchen has that sort of retro "quaint" charm and that limestone and granite are less in keeping with that overall style persay.
  • chrissiekirk
    hace 9 años
    With all that white I am voting for a darker back splash sort of like tying the floor with the back splash. I am not a fan of all white kitchens (too sterile, too hospital-like) and that is why I am voting to go to the dark side!
    Judy Borlin agradeció a chrissiekirk
  • Cathy B
    hace 9 años
    For our back-splash, we just used more of the same granite. Our granite spoke to us as just right. While I looked at the fancy back-splash options, nothing grabbed me. And I like carrying the paint color under the cabinets, too. Simple but classic.
  • MT Hanlin
    hace 9 años
    I just remodeled my kitchen. I thought cream was too plain and a gray was to contrasting. I went for a creme brûlée mix that worked well.
  • Nicole Lepoutre-Baldocchi
    hace 9 años
    Have you considered stainless steel? Easy to clean, totally neutral and will reflect your countertop.
  • Kat Cheng
    hace 9 años
    I like the suggestion by Design Line Works to use a seamless, matte tempered glass backsplash. No grout lines, and non-shiny.
  • PRO
    Minnesota Cabinets, INC
    hace 9 años

You have a timeless and classic kitchen! Keep it that way by doing a subway tile, whether it be cream to match your cabinets or maybe a warm grey!

• Barbara Almandarz
    el último año

Subway tile is a safe option. There is this wonderful crackle subway tile that I fell in love with which I think would add interest and not compete with your beautiful choices. It comes in every possible color. Pleae let us kow what you choose. Good luck!

• Susan Whitten
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

I used Lightstreams glass tile. Their tiles are gorgeous and there is I wide range of colors from subtle to intense. I got an iridescent, white, four inch square field tiles with a double line of "jewels". It's one of my favorite things I used in my whole house reno.

• chloebud
    el último año

OP’s likely decided after 7 years.

• Susan Whitten
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

But other people are still looking. Obviously, you did and the post above mine was an hour ago. What's the problem with it anyway? Don't look if it bothers you.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.