Houzz Logo Print
homesweethome2015

Curtain rods and chandeliers matchy matchy?

homesweethome2015
hace 9 años
I am installing new curtain rods in my dining room and am wondering if they make the chandelier look bad because the chandelier is chrome and the curtain rods I am trying are a darker wood color. (which happens to match the color of my mahogany dining room set) .

Also would love some advice on how to not block the light from the front of my house with these drapes. The curtains will be installed higher than they are shown here but as you can see the curtain rods on the left have the curtains in a bit tighter and could work with tiebacks versus on the right they are falling straight but I'm worried it look a bit too wide and strange? I'm also wondering if tiebacks are still in style or if falling straight down is more of the trend. Thanks so much for your help!

Comentarios (20)

• Geneviève
    hace 9 años
    Okay let's see :)
    For the rods I would add glass or similar for the finials to pick up some of the scones finish ,something like this for example
    Squire Drapery Rod, 36-72 " by Umbra · Más información

For the curtains ....what sort of fabric are they made of ? try to use your hands making folds in them ,I think that tie back are a bit much I like these to fall straight instead ,,if you can extend the rods a bit more this would help leaving the window free ,if you need privacy you could draw the curtains during the evening , I see that you have blinds there already ,then perhaps a sheer would help a bit more .
  • Angel 18432
    hace 9 años
    I think the drapes look a little bulky and don't hang very well. Would go with a material that hangs better, maybe a lighter weight. You could also go wider with the drapes so they don't cover so much of the window. Oh yes, straight down - no tiebacks.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    While silk drapes are very elegant and beautiful, the trend for them to puddle on the floor is dated now. I, myself, am beginning to replace all my expensive silk drapes with more tailored panels that just sit on the floor instead of puddling on the floor.

One option:
    If you hang the rod higher and extend the rod as suggested by Genevieve, that will make a difference on how they hang. They probably will not look as bulky. Would go with a metal rod and a thinner one, instead of the wooden rod. I replaced my thick wooden rods with thin 1 inch iron rods and it made a huge difference. Look at pictures on Houzz of drapes!! They could end up looking great that way!

Another option: Replace your formal drapes with something more tailored-like a linen panels.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Also, make sure to hang the rod high-about an inch from the crown molding. This will give the illusion of higher ceilings. VERY PRETTY dining room!
  • lstrohm
    hace 9 años
    at first glance your room feels heavy...lighten it up with white wispy drapes, and find a lighter colored rug.
  • PRO
    Design Elements
    hace 9 años
    You room looks great! My advice would be to have the rod finish match the chandy. I love thin 1" rods. They make the room feel "less heavy". Also, mount them as high up as they can go, it will make the room feel larger and add a kore luxurious feel. Best of luck!
  • danjoan01
    hace 8 años

Your room looks good. If you move the rods to the maximum height allowed by the length of the drapes, and extend them by at least 6 inches on either side, you will lose the closed in feeling. The drapes will be able to do the job intended-framing the view and dressing the window. You can also improve the way the drapes hang by sort of pleating them with your hands, and then pinning the pleats with clothes pins on the bottom. Leave the pins in for a couple days. Chrome curtain rods with glass finials would complete the look.

Just as an aside, the dark table is beautiful, but without any adornment, it presents a very large dark surface. Suggest a large centerpiece, or keeping the table set with light china and crystal ware. Good luck!

• PRO
    Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
    hace 8 años

Would agree with the poster above who said that rods should match chandelier.... they do look to heavy and clunky. The main problem here is you've purchased rod pocket drapes..that are unsteamed and untamed. Rod pocket are notorious for not stacking/holding folds/flaring and not traversing. Pleated drapes are always preferable. All the other posters examples are of pleated drapery. If you insist on keeping these, I would first steam them and stack them as tightly as possible to the side of the window.

• User
    hace 8 años

No response from the OP since January.

• tgb1
    hace 8 años

Of 2015...

• homesweethome2015
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I'm still here! I have hardware selected which is dark with a glass finial and possible hold back so the light isn't blocked at all. Hanging them is on the honey do list!

• homesweethome2015
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Does anyone have sourcing suggestions for non custom pleated drapes...and nice chrome rods. Is white or off white the color to go with for panels instead of these darkish ones. My house doesn't get a lot of sunlight btw. Thank you for reminding me that this dated...would rather install the right rods and drapes now rather than be stuck with the wrong thing! Here is the blank slate.

• User
    hace 8 años

Restoration Hardware has a nice selection of non custom pleated drapes.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 8 años

Any quality ready-made curtains will probably be fairly pricey (Restoration Hardware, etc.) and won't be interlined, thus will not hang nicely. Unless you're doing unlined sheers or linen, have them custom made. The workroom can make them precisely to the length you want, with the fullness and heading you want, and will install them as well as the hardware. It probably won't cost much more than good ready-made ones, and they'll look beautiful for years to come. Do it once correctly and you won't be spinning your wheels, going back and forth to the big box stores or the post office with returns.

• Beth Bilous
    hace 6 años

Not exactly true Diana Bier Interiors. I just got some ready made drapes from homegoods for a very fair price, and they hang beautiful.

• Linda
    hace 6 años
    I would do ceiling to floor drapes in a lighter material. Only 2 panels instead of 4 that will give you a nice stack.
  • Beth Bilous
    hace 6 años

These ones i found are velvet ( really polly im sure), but they are pretty and not heavy, and look pretty nice. Now if i can figure out how to hang them with ring clips.

• danjoan01
    hace 6 años

Beth, I agree with you about Home Goods. I found some beautiful lined, pure linen pleated drapes at Home Goods for $80/pair. Unbelievable value. They are beautiful and fit to a tee. Granted, you have to get lucky.

• Usuario de Houzz-957959317
    hace 3 años

Careful washing don’t put them in the dryer like I did.Must be 100% cotton shrunk badly.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.