Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

Do you use a water filter jug?

Emmeline Westin
hace 9 años
Water filter jugs promise to optimise the quality of the water, making it taste fresher and more purified.

How many of you have invested in one?

Bobble Water Jug - Blue · Más información

Comentarios (15)

• Karin Madgwick
    hace 9 años
    I bought one, used it for a couple of years but it was always over the date to change the filter and I found it quite expensive. In Melbourne Australia we have very good water quality so now I just use the boiled water from the kettle?
  • pollyannagal
    hace 9 años
    Living in London I wouldn't be without my water filter as we have very hard water and I hate scum in my tea! I'm intrigued by Karin's use of boiled water - what does that achieve unless you need to ensure the water is absolutely sterile e.g. for baby bottles?

Changing the filter is not a problem as I always do it on the first of the month so don't forget. We're thinking of installing a filtered water tap when we redo the kitchen.
  • ghesp
    hace 9 años
    I don't use jugs, but we have one of those taps which filters the water as it comes out.
  • Sarah Alcroft
    hace 9 años
    I have a filter tap, which frees up the worktop a bit
  • Luisa Rollenhagen
    hace 9 años
    I love my Brita filter! I always keep it in the fridge for cold water, although my current fridge is rather small, so some ingenious rearranging is required to make it all fit...
  • chalkandbell
    hace 9 años
    I've just had to resort to a filter jug again as I'm between houses and living in a rented property. The house we have sold had a tap and I'm realising just how much we used it as the jug just doesn't come close to fulfilling all our needs. I'm constantly filling it then waiting for it to filter through before I can put a pan of water on or fill the kettle !
  • jpkruger
    hace 9 años
    Maybe an ignorant question but what's the practical difference between a water filter tap and a water softener? Always assumed a softener was the industrial version. We live in a hard water area and about to do a significant renovation so a new boiler, water softener and boiling water tap are all on the wish list.
  • ghesp
    hace 9 años
    jpkruger - It could be a complicated answer, but to keep things short. Hard water contains more minerals. A water softener removes/reduces these minerals making the water software. A water filter on the other hand removes any contaminants in the water.

So if you want to remove contaminants in the water, use a water filter. If you want to remove the minerals in your water, use a softener, but bare in mind that neither does both. If you get a water softener put in your water system, great but see if they will put it before the cold water gets to the boiler. I'd then look into a tap which does filtration
  • drpepe101
    hace 9 años
    We used to keep a filter jug in the fridge. Now after continually forgetting to replace the filter, we just keep the jug in the fridge for cold water. Can't say I've noticed any difference.
  • pollyannagal
    hace 9 años
    To expand on the explanation about water filters vs water softeners: water filters use activated carbon filters to trap common impurities such as some pesticides, industrial solvents, chlorine based chemical residues from water purification etc. to improve the taste of the water. Water softeners use the process of ion exchange to remove calcium and magnesium ions, replacing them with sodium ions and making the water feel 'softer'.

Water from a softener is great for washing etc as it needs less soap/detergent, makes your skin and hair feel soft, and doesn't leave lime scale deposits but is not recommended for drinking as it contains high levels of sodium (salt). It must never be used for preparing baby formula or for people on low sodium diets! If you have a water softener you will need to have a separate mains water supply to the kitchen for drinking water. You could then use a water filter (tap or jug) to filter the mains water to improve the taste for drinking.

The need for either system depends on your local water supply (if you live in an area with naturally soft water you would gain no benefit from a water softener) and personal preference - we find London water tastes much nicer if filtered but at my in-law's home in Wales the water from the tap tastes great and filtering is not necessary.

Neither system is designed for removing bacteria but unless you are drawing your water from an untreated source such as a river or lake that isn't a problem for us lucky people living with purified water on tap!
  • Matthew Decorator
    hace 9 años
    No I don't use them. Been considering purchasing one but wouldn't be surprised if it's another gimmick
  • Sam Hill
    hace 9 años
    Very very hard water where I am, but no softeners. Hard water is better for you, and tastes nicer, anyway.
  • alyper
    hace 9 años
    I don't see the point of jugs. I live in Sussex and the water from the tap tastes delicious, especially in cold weather! Family members have jugs and the water tastes flat and almost stale. Not for me.
  • PRO
    Surrey Kitchen Installation
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I have a Franke triflow system (hot, cold, pure taps) to which I have attached TWO inline ceramic filters. I can taste test it even with a concentrated orange drink added.

Reverse osmosis is really the only way to rid drinking water of excreted hormones, anti-depressants and narcs like cocaine, the effects of which are becoming more documented. Some female hormones have adverse effects on men like me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29108330

If I find myself laying in bed, particularly happy and playing with my breasts then I know it is time to change the filters!

But seriously we should all take much more care of our drinking water which includes disposing of chemicals and batteries in a safe way and not pouring thinners down the drains. We are all responsible for the world that we live in so do your bit please.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.