Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Snow - Love it or Dread it?

Emily H
hace 9 años
Do you look forward to snow in the winter with delicious excitement and anticipation or do you dread it like messy, slushy blanket of badness?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Dennis Wedlick images · Más información
Love it! More snow, please!
Dread it. Please make it stop.
Other - tell us below!

Comentarios (243)

• jmr412
    hace 8 años
    I love it. Love colder weather. I'm in northern NJ so we get a decent amount of chilly weather and happily have had a lot of snow the last two years.

The day of the first snow is one of my favorite days of the year!

I've always told my daughters "in my opinion, a snowy day is infinitely more beautiful than a sunny summer day."
  • User
    hace 8 años
    No snow for me! After being raised in Canada, going to college and working for a couple of years, realized there had to be something better. Got a great job in California and never went back ( except to visit family, who come here way more than we go there).
  • curlieq
    hace 8 años

We knew our twelve year old was growing up...last year it was " I LOVE snow!!" This year? "I HATE snow!" And she doesn't even drive yet!

Ok, if it didn't snow on roads and sidewalks, I'd be fine with it.

• arvilla_trag
    hace 8 años
    Love snow because a) it protects my plants from the cold, b) it is a natural fertilizer, c) it shows the tracks of all the various wildlife, like seeing a storyboard, d) it is beautiful, covering a gray and brown winter world with sparkling white, e) I have a mudroom for the first time in my life, so slushy boots are not a problem, f) it reflects moonlight beautifully
  • Rose Friton
    hace 8 años

arvilla_trag, I'm so with your whole post. It's beautiful. I love it when the flakes are heavy and large, Just sitting in my living room watching the beautiful stuff come down is WONDERFUL. I do not drive in it but I don't care, I'm retired, and can enjoy the snow. I'm 79 and loved it since I was 2 years old (yes, I can remember back that far). It does cover a drab winter for sure. Let is snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!!!!!!

• Sylvia sylvester
    hace 8 años

I replied to this in 2014 and I add to it today, as this has been allot more snow, well actually just started earlier this year. So am now looking forward to spring. I love all four seasons and am always ready for the last one to go and the next to arrive. The same weather would be boring. Come soon spring.

• Rose Friton
    hace 8 años

Darn, we haven't had any winter here in Va. YET. I'm still waiting for my snow.

• User
    hace 8 años
    Hate, hate, hate snow, ice and slush! If I need to see it, Tahoe is 3 hours away. Give me a year round temperate, Mediterranean climate anytime!
  • Rose Friton
    hace 8 años

SandyC. Boring boring boring. I hate the same temps year round. Love fall when the leaves turn color and winter when it snows. Had a house in Fla. and sold it cause I couldn't stand the humidity, heat, palm trees. Too hot in summer. In winter a week or two was enough for a visit, and then , I GOT BORED again......To each his own.... So they say. Enjoy your sameness....

• User
    hace 8 años
    Oh we have seasons, just not as extreme.
    Finally have rain!
    Would never live in Florida, can't stand the humidity and bugs.
    There's a reason everybody lives here, no bugs, moderate climate. We can drive to snow, mountains, oceans, desert, lakes, in hours.
    Most of us are transplants, my hubs from NYC and I'm from Canada, yucky slushy winters, ice storms, dirty salty snow, no way. Hot, humid Summer's with bugs, bugs, bugs. Give me sunshine any day!
  • teamaltese
    hace 8 años
    If we all liked the same place, it would get awfully crowded.
  • Rose Friton
    hace 8 años

SandyC, I spend the summers in Maine, just for the beautiful cool weather. I hate living in Air conditioning. Don't need that in Maine, but the bug situation is different. There are black flies, early in the spring .(for 2 weeks or so. I love the weather there even when it's raining. The air is so good and refreshing and clean. Calif, has land slides. rain, snow (in the mtns.) earth quakes, fires, drought. Not for me one bit, I'd rather be in the slushy , snowy, icy (for ice skating). any time. Besides the traffic in Calif, (no matter where you go) his horrid. Can't even get onto the freeways. Fla. is like that too. So many people who don't like the winters (snowbirds) spend their time sweating in the humidity and bugs and driving way too slow....I'll take my 4 seasons any day. I like change. Would get bored with the same weather

year round.

• User
    hace 8 años
    That's so cute you say those things. My friends and relatives used to say those same things. Not the ones who had actually been here, but the others would say we have earthquakes and wouldn't want to live here. My husband and I have always been very fortunate to live near where we work,soon traffic problems for us.
    I believe way more people die from traffic accidents caused by snow and ice than earthquakes, lol.
    I love it! Would never go back to that gawd awful cold again. Glad there are people who like it. Whatever floats your boat!
  • teamaltese
    hace 8 años
    For everyone complaining about Florida humidity, historically, it's more humid in Northern Virginia, near DC, than in the Tampa region. And it's only really hot and humid for 3 months. Besides, that's why we have such amazing beaches...

https://www.sercc.com/climateinfo/historical/avgrh.html
  • Rose Friton
    hace 8 años

Well ,I live in the Mts. here in Va. and spend most of the summer/fall in Maine where there is little humidity (there are days!!!!! but very few of them) Had a house in Fla. and I couldn't stand the heat nor the humidity Couldn't do anything thru the day, just felt so lethargic . Lived with the air conditioning all the time. Don't need air conditioning in Maine.and the scenery is beautiful there. Sold house in Fla. and moved up north again. I'm not a beach person anyway, Hate all that sand. Enjoy the rocky beaches in Maine much better, even tho the water is freezing cold even thru the summer. I don't go in the ocean anyway. Do swim in the lake here in Va. and the river in Maine.

• printesa
    hace 8 años

we are all so different:) I lived in Bay Area (San Jose to be more exact) and I didn't like it at all..boring area, boring weather..loved Oregon, but job moved us to San Jose. Loved Montreal with all that cold and some humidity in the summer, even though I can't stand heat and humidity. Now we are on the East Coast..I prefer the seasons, so that's better. This year we had no snow:(
    As for Maine, yes, it's beautiful. We've been to the beach there twice..the kids love the Ogunquit area.

• teamaltese
    hace 8 años
    So many staunch defenders of their lifestyle choices! We all live where we live for our own reasons. Every locality has its beauty, and it's dark side. The only thing that matters is that you be happy where you are, with what you have.
  • Belahn
    hace 8 años

As long as I don't have to leave the house or shovel it. Otherwise, I hate it.

• Rose Friton
    hace 8 años

Big storm coming up . Can't wait for the snow to start. We're supposed to have 12 to 24 inches. I'm all ready for it. Going to hunker down, watch that beautiful stuff fall out of the sky and don't have to worry about my driveway, as I'm not going anywhere.... It's not good for people ,who have to get to and from work, and it does give the kids some snow days from school.(as if Christmas vacation wasn't enough). No kids for me to worry about, so I'm ready for the drab (brown and black) landscape to be white ,clean, beautiful and cold. Makes my fireplace even more inviting.

• printesa
    hace 8 años

we are expecting the storm as well, but it will only be the weekend...I don't think there will be any problem on Monday, so no snow days for the kids:)

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 8 años

we were originally set for a foot in boston but now its looking more like a couple inches south of the 'pike, i couldnt be happier with the downgrade.

• printesa
    hace 8 años

I'm in DE, so we are pretty much getting the bulk of it, which is fine since it will be only the weekend. I don't like winter without snow:) It's not even good for the garden, but I can fight with the nature..we'll see what makes it in the spring

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 8 años

last winter we got 110". i'm good with like 'a dusting' for this season.

• Rose Friton
    hace 8 años

Yeow!!! all at one time? Know my friend in Maine couldn't find her pick up truck for a long time as it was completely covered with snow.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 8 años

no....not at one time....*faints*... although it felt like it at the time. it came a foot or two each storm, we (and everyone else) ran out of places to shovel it TO.

• printesa
    hace 8 años

yes,last year Boston area had it tough..so far, this coast had nothing

• Ava Williams
    hace 8 años

As a New Yorker... BRING IT ON!!!

• printesa
    hace 8 años

the snow started here and we are expecting 18-24"

• Rose Friton
    hace 8 años

printesa, we have a little more than 24 inches here in the No. Va. Mts, and I"m loving it. Feeding the birds on a small portion of by front porch that has no snow. They're flocking in. Squirrels are welcome also. Enjoying that beautiful white.....

• printesa
    hace 8 años

Thanks! We got 24" overnight and we won't be able to get out until tomorrow at noon.. blizzard and apparently it will snow again. I have to watch the news on the computer because the cable is not working since last night and the tech will come sometime on Tuesday:) Until then, I'll watch the snow:)

• jmr412
    hace 8 años
    I'm in NJ, blizzard is full force here. So beautiful. I've got bread dough rising & a bunch of new recipes to try out. Hopefully the power stays on.......not likely in my town.....but I'm hopeful. Baking on a snow day is one of my very favorite things!!
    Stay safe everyone in this storm's path. Heard this morning some people in Kentucky have been stuck on a highway for over 17 hours. Horrific. Hope they all get home soon.
  • Anne
    hace 8 años
    Just started snowing lightly here in southeastern Massachusetts. Looks so pretty. Still don't know for sure what's coming. Forecasts are all over the place, 3-5 to 8-12, depends who you listen to. Great time to try Ina Garten's recipe for apple tart. Been dying to bake something with the Calvados we brought back from France last summer.
    The squirrels are also getting ready for the storm. Check out Rocky eating the suet.
  • SueBee
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I love to bake when it's snowing or raining!! Stay safe and warm!!

• printesa
    hace 8 años

We had 2 ft of snow in the morning and it's been snowing every since,,now even more,this is what it looks now

• diyher
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

same here, I have cousins in Delaware right on the bay, and their property if flooded :(

• printesa
    hace 8 años

the bay is not good right now..so it' the NJ shore..We only get snow and lots of wind..right now, I cannot see the back of the yard anymore,,,all white and windy and snow

• barb4138
    hace 8 años
    I live in NW Illinois and snow is fine with me until you have to drive in it! We have had very little snow this year. I feel for all those in the East dealing with the aftermath of Jonas.
  • printesa
    hace 8 años

we definitely had the workout cut out for us:) A few hours of shoveling 2 ft of snow was pretty fun:)

• Judy Henry
    hace 8 años
    I have never experienced or even seen snow
  • PRO
    Kayylö
    hace 8 años

We come from Montreal and driving is better in the winter because then the potholes are filled with snow... : )

• printesa
    hace 8 años

I lived in Mtl for a year and my husband for 10. You are lucky there that you don't need to drive,,the metro is amazing

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    hace 8 años

I love snow and don't consider it winter without some snow every year, but last year we broke records of over 100+ inches of snow which made life significantly difficult and did a lot of damage in the area from ice dams. So a couple of years with very little snow, would be a really welcome change. So far this year, fingers crossed, we've had only a minor amount of snow.

• PRO
    Aric Gitomer Architect LLC
    hace 8 años

Getting too old to enjoy it unless I am on vacation skiing!

• Grace O' Malley
    hace 7 años

I love it as long as I don't have to go to work. Far too many people feel the need to drive in it when they really shouldn't and that makes it all the more dangerous.

• PRO
    Repp Renovations
    hace 7 años

Here in Western New York, we get more than our fair share. We are located in the area that made national news in 2014 when we got 7 feet of snow in a few days' time. Happy to have the sun shining on this beautiful spring day!

• Jay L
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Here's my feeling - I love snow before Christmas, but after Christmas I dread it.

I lived in MN for the first 22 years of my life, now live in AZ. We go home for Christmas and the snow is wonderful for the holiday but I don't miss the other 4 months of it.

I of course love it when I'm snowboarding too, but the shoveling and rust that comes with it/salt I do not miss.

• printesa
    hace 7 años

Jay L, that is a drastic change of climate:) I went to Arizona once, for a wedding. The heat there was unbearable. I don't know how you managed to adjust

• Jay L
    hace 7 años

Printesa, it's definitely an adjustment!! We've only been here for a couple years now, the summers are very hot. I like to think of it as similar to MN though, in that in MN you can't happily go outside for long periods for about 6/7 months of the year, while in AZ it's about 3 months. However, in the warmer months I find myself needing a sweater for anything under 70 degrees!

We went on a ski trip up to Pinetop, AZ this January and they ended up getting over 21 inches of snow while we were there! It was a pretty neat experience.

• PRO
    Cameron's Design
    hace 7 años

I grew up in Indiana and found my first job at a newspaper in a small Hoosier town. One morning, in the wake of a bad snowstorm, the locks on my car were frozen beyond hope. So since I only lived three blocks from work, I elected to walk to the office. When I arrived at the newspaper, my chest was hurting and all feeling in my lower extremities had pretty much abandoned me. I staggered to the front door, only to find that the office locks were frozen--and, as my co-workers all lived out of town, no one was available to grant me entrance. So I had to slip and slide back home. Five months later, I relocated to Florida and never left. Short answer: I dislike snow.

• printesa
    hace 7 años

I know what you mean by needing a sweater:) I used to live in California (moved from Canada) and at 65, it seemed too cold, while at 40 in Canada it seemed warm enough. Now, on the East Coast, I am back to my usual climate,,,4 seasons, which I missed while in California.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.