Houzz Logo Print
kchampeau

Help with stair handrail brackets!

kchampeau
hace 9 años
Where I can find oil rubbed bronze handrail brackets with a projection of 4 3/8" or 4 1/2" from the wall rather than the standard 3 3/8" or 3 1/2"? The existing handrail does not meet code as it is too close to a horizontal trim board at main floor level. I also need a 5 3/8" or 5 1/2" handrail bracket to attach to the post at the top of the stair. I checked online companies to no avail. I found a metal crafting business that could possibly custom tool them for me but that would be very costly. I will appreciate any help with my design dilemma.

Comentarios (2)

• User
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Don't forget about the other parts of the code. A rosette is normally used to bring the wall bracket out. You don't need a bracket at the newel post because the handrail has to be returned into the newel post anyway.

R311.7.1 Width.
    Stairways shall not be less than 36 inches (914 mm) in clear width at all points above the permitted handrail height and below the required headroom height.

***Handrails shall not project more than 4.5 inches (114 mm) on either side of the stairway and the minimum clear width of the stairway at and below the handrail height, including treads and landings, shall not be less than 31 1/2 inches (787 mm) where a handrail is installed on one side***

and 27 inches (698 mm) where handrails are provided on both sides.

R311.7.8.2 Continuity.
    Handrails for stairways shall be continuous for the full length of the flight, from a point directly above the top riser of the flight to a point directly above the lowest riser of the flight.

***Handrail ends shall be returned or shall terminate in newel posts or safety terminals.***

Handrails adjacent to a wall shall have a space of not less than 1 1/2 inch (38 mm) between the wall and the handrails.
  • PRO
    BILL BRIGHT LIGHTING DESIGN
    hace 9 años
    Take the rail to a carpenter who has is own wood shop. He will measure/ trace then cut out the proto types file and sand to your measurements
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.