Houzz Logo Print
grant_rosales

Has the Teak been treated to prevent greying over time?

Grant Rosales
hace 9 años
I'm planning on making teak screens for my large window panels; and worry that while it'll look absolutely gorgeous in the beginning, as in the picture above, the colour will be lost due to exposure to the elements. Appreciate advice on how to manage this.
Teak Fence · Más información

Comentarios (2)

• PRO
    East Teak Fine Hardwoods, Inc.
    hace 9 años
    Grant I think that may be Ipe or Cumaru and not teak. That said any wood to retain the dark color in an outdoors setting must be oiled or UV coated about every year to keep it looking new. If you do not do this then the wood will slowly fade to a silver color.
  • PRO
    AdvantageLumber.com
    hace 9 años
    Agreed with East Teak in how to maintain the wood. The sun is the enemy when keeping colors on any material because the UV rays fade it to grey with time. Depending on how often your windows will get sun exposure is how often you'll need to apply coats of a U.V inhibiting oil.

Although that is actually Teak as the architect specified, It looks strikingly similar to Cumaru (a.k.a. Brazilian Teak) which is denser and stronger but at a fraction of the cost!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.