Houzz Logo Print
nicole3536

Need help with window treatment ideas, please!

nicole3536
hace 9 años
I desperately want to get some color over our windows, but don't know how to best dress them. I want it to be symmetrical, but one side is a full window and the right side is a door which pulls into the house to access our deck. And then to complicate it even more, to the right of the door is only a small wall because it opens up to the eat in kitchen.
Please provide any solution ideas that may work. As you can tell from the pic, I do not have the interior designer gift but I am trying to take little steps to fix it up

Comentarios (47)

• PRO
    flair lighting
    hace 9 años
    i wouldnt put anything on these windows, i would do sea grass or roman shades on the bottom. the fake plant needs to go. dont try to hid that window with a fake plant... the room has no need to draw more attention to those upper windows. consider re arranging the furniture.
  • Ingrid Canales
    hace 9 años
    Put a beautifull are rug with color in there if you do not already have one, and yes id loose the fake tree too
  • PRO
    Made in the Shade Blinds Saskatoon
    hace 9 años
    How about Shutters? They are gorgeous in every setting. I would add sets of long side panels for a pop of colour as well...
  • Ruth Moore
    hace 9 años
    I would find two wood picture frames that fit over the two upper window and put either prints from a favorite artist or a fabric that feels right to you. Then fix them to the wall either beside the windows or over the windows in such a way that you can swing them open to let in the light when you feel the need. then for the door and the window on the other side you can have drapes. Mount the drapes normally on the window and then for the door mount the rod on the door so you can have the illusion of matching windows and still use your door normally.
    Good luck.
  • jlh5360
    hace 9 años
    decorative roller shades would be functional as well as a way to bring color to the room.
  • bh0952
    hace 9 años
    I would put roman shades on the upper windows, the lower window and glass door. Pull the plant and table away from the window. You can hide the window blinds under the shade. This will give you the symmetry you are looking for.
  • PRO
    Julie Mauro, a Smith & Noble In-Home Designer
    hace 9 años
    An accent paint color on that wall and a nice roman fabric shade on the lower window and door, in a modern geometric print. I agree, the tree needs to go !
  • PRO
    MIchelle Bower, a Smith & Noble In-Home Designer
    hace 9 años
    Shutters would look great and would allow lots of light control along with privacy. You could distract from the different window and doors widths by adding stationary panels on poles of equal widths. Or, you could outside mount Roman shades to add color/pattern.
  • donnamigdal
    hace 9 años
    I would place a swag type valance, like a Kingston, on the upper windows with longer jabots. Place the rod high enough so the treatment doesn't cover the window. This will allow light to come in as well as give the appearance that these windows are taller than they are. I would leave the lower window and door uncovered or use the roller shades or bamboo shades as previously mentioned.
  • PRO
    Kimberly Barrett, Window Treatment Consultant
    hace 9 años
    I agree with Julie. Fabric shades can mount directly on the door frame and inside mount on the window. Don't be afraid of color or pattern on these. This wall needs a touch of softness that only fabric can bring. Also, you may want to use the same fabric as a valance or shade in the adjoining room.
  • martaylor
    hace 9 años
    I would work with a largish black and white pattern with another bright colour or two in it. Hang long coloured panels on each lower window (blinds maybe). On the upper windows get rid of the grills and hang clear stained glass panels (perhaps with a bit if black glass inserted, sort of 1930s style) in the spaces so you get nice light from above. The view isn't interesting enough, but the light is important. The tv diminishes what could be a fab wall. Try to make the fireplace more hefty by adding a thick black mantel. You could lean a tall graphic dead centre on the mantel. Or hang a large metal sculpture there. Or a painting with a light about it. Maybe a bright red bench in front of the fireplace with a bold shag rug under it. No tiny things on the mantel or on the floor.
  • Geneviève
    hace 9 años
    Nothing on top and these
    Modern Kitchen Reno · Más información
  • PRO
    Jill Kahn, a Smith & Noble In-Home Designer
    hace 9 años
    Leave the top open for natural light to come in and do the lower windows with fabric roman shades which will add some softness as well as privacy. Our graphic prints might just give the room some pop and interest. I agree the tree has got to go!
  • Lisa Barrett
    hace 9 años
    Leave the tops alone, and consider getting rid of the plant. Open the blinds, rearrange your mantel and grasscloth the wall. It will look great!
  • Dorothy Kemper
    hace 9 años
    Plantation shutters on the window and the door, and lose the fake tree!
  • PRO
    GenHudd Designs
    hace 9 años
    Try Adhesive Window designs they are easy to put on and you can find many different styles and designs to suit your personal taste https://www.google.com/#q=stained+glass+window+decals&tbm=shop
  • Dorothy Kemper
    hace 9 años
    Tailanko presents a viable option if you like draperies!
  • mosaicrevival
    hace 9 años
    Tailanko has the best option to soften the windows. Hang drapes from top windows to the floor same on both sides. These would be stationary so if you need privacy shades can be inside mounted as well. Cheers its a beautiful room.
    nicole3536 agradeció a mosaicrevival
  • kclifford
    hace 9 años
    I love them as they are. If you use coverings it's going to really darken that room.
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Here are a variety of window treatments, some use shades some do not. You didn't say if you needed light control or not; if you do they make window shades that work with remote controls....which are wonderful for windows too high to reach. The one on the upper right would work well for your room; with it's windows and door combination, and if you prefer a traditional look.
    nicole3536 agradeció a Stamps Design Services
  • Joe DeVitto
    hace 9 años
    maybe a Valance on the tops one . the valances that come down on the sides half way .
  • nhbaskets
    hace 9 años
    I have narrow windows on either side of our fireplace. Shutters have worked well for us.
  • lnicol8
    hace 9 años
    You have enough room for narrow panels on short rods hung high...unless you need them to function then just do full rod but definitely accentuate the high of space and be decorative...
    nicole3536 agradeció a lnicol8
  • Kathleen McDougall
    hace 9 años
    If you can, remove the top part of the mantle that flares outward. It looks added on and very top heavy. Then, move the TV down to aline with the top of the lower window or the bottom of the upper window trim.
    Add inside mounted sheer on a tension rod or a sheer blind to the top windows to deal with the glare.
    Move the alarm sensor to the left wall- those things are always in the way of the draperies!
    Mount rods over the top windows with the rods abutting the outside walls and finials only on the inside. Have full width panels made with thin fabric and thin lining hanging on narrow rings so they stack as narrowly as possible. This will allow you to open the door, cover the windows when needed, and add colour to the wall while emphasizing the height.
    Lose the plant and the table in the corner. Add some tall vases or sculptors on the floor on either side of the firebox to reinforce the symmetry and add some interest as you can't really have anything on the mantle getting in the way of the TV. The lower TV should be slightly easier to look at at this height.
    Add a leggy, light weight chair on the right side of the fireplace. It will help make the room more inviting and easier to have a conversation.
    nicole3536 agradeció a Kathleen McDougall
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 9 años
    We can't see the furniture and so can't guess at your style. Some suggestions sound good but may be too formal for you. I wouldn't draw more attention to that wall unless the TV is moved - you've chosen to make TV the focus now, so don't worry about the windows. If you move the TV, this wall can become a stunner, but not with the boob box hogging it. If we could see the other "walls," existing or not, we would be more helpful. Often, what the poster sees as the dilemma, is not really where the optimal advice should be focused.
  • PRO
    Jarret Yoshida Design
    hace 9 años
    Do you need curtains?
  • greenfish1234
    hace 9 años
    I would not put panels all the way from the top. Too tall and skinny. Agree w roman or grass shades on window and door, tops. Also don't tear off the top of your mantle, please!
  • greenfish1234
    hace 9 años
    ...so there is this, http://houzz.com/photos/359739 but yours is a lot skinnier, and notice how the mirror brings the mantle to the height of the drapes? Consider moving the TV regardless.
    nicole3536 agradeció a greenfish1234
  • annoulaxeni
    hace 9 años
    The beauty of that wall is the symmetry and the amount of light. I agree to move the furniture away from the left window, and personally, if you can, I'd find another place for the TV (but I hate TV's over beautiful fireplaces!).

I don't think you have the stack-up space for romans on the window or door, at least not to entirely clear so that you can USE that door. Nor do you appear to have stack-back space: if you tried to cover the window and the door each with two panels, the panels on the fireplace side wouldn't fall nicely because of the mantlepiece. And if you tried a single, one-directional panel on each, you don't have the space to the far left or the far right.

And roller blinds wouldn't do much to add color unless they're rolled down over the window. Tricky space!

If I were you? It's a nice self-contained wall that could take a lovely accent color. Alternatively, although otherwise I'd love to see a mirror over the fireplace, a great big colorful painting would serve the purpose.
  • v3ra
    hace 9 años
    It's too bad that you have to have the TV there. There are so many square shapes there, hard planes, straight lines, and right angles. However, with all of that light coming in, I bet the TV would catch a glare if it were anywhere else in that room. If all you want is some color, you could just paint the wall. I'd like to add some softness and movement, but I don't think drapery is the way to go. I see a cushion of some sort in front of that fireplace. If you don't use the fireplace that much, a simply shaped but richly upholstered bench could go in front of it - boldly colored in a swirling, multicolored pattern. Boom - the eye is focused there instead of on the big, black hole of the TV and you've given the space a much needed soft spot with both movement and color. Leave the upper windows alone. Replace the shutters on the lower windows with Roman shades. Again, that space already has enough cold, hard planes, straight lines, and right angles. Fabric is a great way to add some texture and personalize the space, you control the pattern, style, color, etc. Or skip the fabric and go with grass cloth. I'm not good with mantle décor, but the only thing I see that I like up there is the Buddha. As for the lower left corner, it all needs to go. The window sill is just too low and close to the corner. If you must have a dog bed, move it from the fireplace and put it in that corner instead (that's where mine is :) ). Good luck! Have fun with it!
    nicole3536 agradeció a v3ra
  • diyer59
    hace 9 años
    If you are talking about the high windows, those aren't meant to be covered. Unless you have a horrid privacy problem where the neighbor is actually looking in them, don't cover. I had a very large window at the top of a beautiful staircase leading to the second floor of a former home that looked out onto an incredible scene. My ex-mother in law told me to put a "drape" on it. I laughed! I said, what on earth for?
    nicole3536 agradeció a diyer59
  • PRO
    ferolo archiitects
    hace 9 años
    I just think that tvs screens on top of fireplaces are two competitive and very heavy elements, as for the glare control, well some type of screens would do it.
  • PRO
    Ideas Design Excellence-in Art
    hace 9 años
    That poor plant, no one likes it and I agree it crouds the space to much. I like th idea of the shutters, draperies would be great if you had a bit more space around the fireplace, but since you don't consider adding color and softness to the wall either with a finish or paper.
    Another solution might be a large piece of at that uses the cieling hieght above the fireplace to bring in color pattern and interest or replace the mantle wiith one that dose the job. Here is an example although they may not be your style they might give you some ideas.
  • Kathleen McDougall
    hace 9 años
    The neighbours across the street at my old house had a large window Over their front door-uncovered. I could see their kids walking into the upstairs bathroom through that window if I happened to be opening my bedroom drapes or looking out the window. It needed at least a sheer!
  • PRO
    CB Interior Design
    hace 9 años
    I will do stationary side panels with a beautiful wood pole and finials and install it above the small windows. You will be like framing the wall and take advantage of the height that you have in the space. I can not see what is your color scheme in the room but I will select the fabric for the stationary panels from one of the colors you have in the space. Also for privacy I would do the Plantation Shutters on the windows and door.
    nicole3536 agradeció a CB Interior Design
  • PRO
    CB Interior Design
    hace 9 años
    You are welcome Nicole!
  • PRO
    PLT Interiors
    hace 9 años
    I would have someone build a cornice/shelf fir over each window and have installed a little higher than the top moulding to give the illusion of a taller window. Then I place some neat decorative items on these shelves for some color and contrast..books would also look nice stacked on them too. I would also paint the walls a few shades darker for some warmth. I'd also remove the tree and leave the windows alone....
  • PRO
    User
    hace 9 años
    I would definitely go above the top windows. You have high ceilings - use that height!! If you go underneath the high windows, it will just make your room seem squatty. You can easily do a decorative rod with panels on each side. Mount it 8" - 10" above the top window. You can also do a valance on the windows with a panel coming down only the outside. If you decide on a valance, mount it higher than your window as well. Here are a few symmetrical pics to give you some ideas! Good Luck! :)
  • PRO
    User
    hace 9 años
    Oops! I meant to add these symmetrical panel pics as well. Hope they help inspire!
  • ladyobyrne
    hace 9 años
    If you are only looking for color, I agree on either leaving alone and adding color with rug and pillows. If you are wanting the option to block the sun while you watch tv, then I agree with shades mounted inside the upper windows only. I actually love all the windows and light it brings in and would add my color by rug and pillows on furniture.
  • km kane
    hace 9 años
    Kathleen mcdougal , so big deal, you can actually see people inside their house actually using it. People do use their stairs, that shouldn't be a surprise. I don't get why people are so freaked out by seeing other people actually live in their homes. Isn't that what they are for? Its not as if the shower or bath was open to view
  • logg
    hace 9 años
    I would have custom white shutters installed...plantation ones with the wide lovers and no vertical stick down the center. A brighter wall paint would be nice. Good luck.
  • happyleg
    hace 9 años
    I think shutters or blinds will work, you have that door with window above.
  • lilyanddaisy
    hace 9 años
    One issue that I see is that the tv "pops" way way too much to take advantage of the light and light colors around it. See if you can buy one of those fittings to frame the tv in a different color. Even if it was just white it could bring the tv into harmony with the surrounding windows instead of being in such stark contrast.
  • greenfish1234
    hace 9 años
    I still don't think panels are the way to go, but here is another pic. Note top windows not covered, art brings balance to the height of the windows. http://houzz.com/photos/322238
  • JoAn Petersen
    hace 9 años
    you could hang stained glass panels on those upper windows
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.