Houzz Logo Print
czizka

Still not quite right

czizka
hace 9 años
We have painted, and repainted, the Hardie Shake siding in the center front section of our house but it is still not quite right. The main body of the house is SW Gray Area and the trim is SW Pure White. The brick has a cool gray sand face mixed with light brown. The garage doors were pre-painted a color very close to SW Porpoise.

Our first paint try was SW Adaptive shade but it was too dark and too green (pic here). Second try is SW Intellectual Gray.

Oh, and there will be white porch posts and stair railings, gable brackets and keys in the big round window eventually.

question is what color to paint that center section and what color for the front door?

Comentarios (18)

• czizka
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Here is the second try.
  • delyanks
    hace 9 años
    A light coastal blue or a brown pulled out of the brick.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    hace 9 años
    The colors look fine as they are. The issue is the overall form and composition of the house, rather than color.
  • czizka
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Detective: I agree it's not the most graceful design. But you may recall from my previous posts we did not use a certified architect which I readily concede was a bad decision. But that is a long story. Do you have any constructive suggestions as this point? We are hoping that the porch railings and other finishing details mentioned above will help. We are also reworking the header over the front door and the face of the beam below the upper balcony.
  • czizka
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Sorry auto correct. Dytecture.
  • Dar Eckert
    hace 9 años
    Try charcoal color with yellow door.
    czizka agradeció a Dar Eckert
  • PRO
    Pazzam Designs
    hace 9 años
    It is too monochromatic. The upstairs looks like the grand entrance the downstairs looks like an after thought. This should be your focal point and grand entrance. As u r still in construction I would replace the front door with double solid doors (I like the coastal blue color suggestion) then flank them with stationary glass. It will create a dramatic front entrance. Please paint the garage doors white to match the trim the brown is to harsh and not pretty for that large of a mass! PAZZAM
    czizka agradeció a Pazzam Designs
  • czizka
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    River Valley: I would like to accent the entrance.
  • czizka
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Pazzam suggests double doors. would that be enough of a change to draw focus to the lower level?
  • czizka
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you all for suggestions! Help is greatly appreciated!
  • Architectrunnerguy
    hace 9 años
    I agree with Pazzam in that I think what would help here is certainly lighter garage doors but maybe nice warm, welcoming wood ones. They're $$$ I know but the garage doors are such a big part of the elevation. And then a warm wood front door to match.
  • czizka
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hi Arunner! Thanks for the input. For now I am emotionally and financially exhausted. Replacing the garage and front doors may need to be done but that will have to wait a year or two. I see that I need to make the front door more prominent. I believe once the porch and step railings are on that will help. What about painting the front door a red brick color? And painting the upper balcony doors the same color the surrounding siding? Would that help?
  • Architectrunnerguy
    hace 9 años
    That might work. What I would suggest is to maybe play with the colors a little using photoshop or some similar program.
    czizka agradeció a Architectrunnerguy
  • PRO
    PPF.
    hace 9 años
    Paint the center section to match garage doors, and the very top part too.
    czizka agradeció a PPF.
  • PRO
    Pazzam Designs
    hace 9 años
    if paint is your only design medium then I would paint the entire upper portion the same color, the lightest version of what u have, and the entire first floor section a dark value as close as u can stand to the garage and bricks. This will calm the box compartment feel that is occurring presently, ground the home to the garage and earth. I believe u r correct once u put ur rails and deco items in such as a bench or large urn on front porch that will create a focal point.
  • nicolediane
    hace 9 años
    I would paint the middle the same color as the bricks. I would also paint the garage doors the same color as the rest of the house. I would also add columns/pillars to the entryway.
  • czizka
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you all for the great suggestions. I think I will paint the center section the same color as the rest of the house only just slightly darker so to not emphasize that area. Also paint the upper balcony doors so that they blend better. I'll paint the front door red or blue. Maybe polished brass hardware in the door. Then wait and see what it looks like after the porch railings and other details are added. The house is on the Atlantic Coast so is built on pylons. Many homes in this area leave the bottom level exposed but we are high enough that we will probably not have flooding so we enclosed the lower level to make good use of the garage space for storage.

Thanks especially to those of you who took time to Photoshop ideas. That helped greatly! I may end up making other changes with the paint and front door configuration later on.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.