Painted but need some ideas See pics

Comentarios (43)

• Julie Villalovos
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Any help appreciated
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 9 años
    Two pix are duplicates. Take one from the corner cabinet so we can see that wall opposite the table.
  • PRO
    Rachel @ Ethan Allen
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    I would move the table back into the center of the room. If there is not enough space on both sides you may think about a built in bench along the wall with the mirror. Then at least it makes sense as to why the table is against the wall.
  • PRO
    Rachel @ Ethan Allen
    hace 9 años
    The area rug is too large for the room as well. You should have 12-18" of hardwood around it.
  • pcmom1
    hace 9 años
    I would make the window appear larger and grander by hanging substantial drapes that barely cover the inside trim. You will need to move the corner cabinet to do this.
    Kathy Bloodworth · Más información
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 9 años
    -Move table under fan
    -Remove the cornercabinet
    -Add buffet under window
    -Long panel drapes
    -Remove clock---too high and misplaced (perhaps there is a place for it elsewhere)

Need more photos to make more recommendations
  • tiamay
    hace 9 años
    What is the mirror reflecting? Looks like a stairwell window. Maybe you could take it down and replace with artwork instead.
  • groveraxle
    hace 9 años
    Take this rug and put it in the living room. Let this room go without. Center the table under the light. Put curtains on the window with a shade underneath. Remove the white console table; it doesn't go with anything. You can put it on craigslist along with the arc lamp from the living room.
  • groveraxle
    hace 9 años
    When in doubt, simplify.
  • pcmom1
    hace 9 años
    Really is beauty in simplicity. Do this for us: take away the rug, the white table, the mirror and the clock. Put table into the middle and post us a photo.
    Country Dining Room · Más información

Arlington Bachelor Dining Room · Más información
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 9 años
    Pull the table out in the center of the rug and centered on the window. Consider painting the mirror frame dark blue.
  • pcmom1
    hace 9 años
    One way to handle that small window would be to add fabric blinds to soften the view and light. Then add opaque linen panels to each side.
    Sheer Window Shadings · Más información
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 9 años
    The rug is too large for the room. A smaller rug (just eyeballing it) would likely be too small for the table and chairs. When this is the case, opt for no rug.
  • vwallin
    hace 9 años
    I'd get dramatic with color and possibly add crown moulding and wainscoting/chair rail. Here are my ideas.

Your dining set could be painted any number of ways. Here is way:

Mediterranean Dining Room by Irvine Interior Designers & Decorators Blackband Design

Choose a color that is in your rug, just more saturated. Invest in some nicer chair cushions ( http://www.cushionsource.com) and floor to ceiling draperies that have a white or neutral ground and possibly a pattern. Get a buffet for under the window. The buffet should be in contrast to the chairs. Here is one example of a very small one at Jordan's furniture:

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Jordans/AN0573330_00?wid=655&hei=372&fmt=jpeg

Remove the clock, corner cabinet and plant on mirror. Ensure the mirror is square to the table and align the top of it with the top of the window on the adjacent wall. Add a simple table runner with easily rinsable placemats place on top, like bamboo or woven poly ones.
  • vwallin
    hace 9 años
    Dining room set not pictured is on HOUZZ - Calabasas-Spanish-Colonial-Home-mediterranean6/-dining-room-los-angeles
  • windingcreek_creations
    hace 9 años
    I like the mirror. It adds light and depth to the room. I would pull the table away from the wall, Everything is leaning to the right. I would love to see drapery on the window, but the corner cabinet is in the way. I would try hanging extra long drapery at ceiling height and sweeping it to the left with a pull back. The ceiling fan, mirror and window all bring the ceiling height lower. If you are able to replace the fan with an airy chandelier, or a flush lighting fixture, it will lift the ceiling and open things up a bit.
  • windingcreek_creations
    hace 9 años
    oh,and put the clock on the opposite wall in that space in front of the cutout at eye level.
  • Alyce Cunningham
    hace 9 años
    put up a knock out hanging light fixture and take down that fan for starters....
  • Holly Tasker
    hace 9 años
    If this were my dining room I would try adding height to the room by mounting a curtain rod close to ceiling height, placing a floor length sheer panel over the window to allow the light in, and add solid curtains on each side to broaden the width. Next, I would "mirror" (no pun intended) the vertical lines of the curtains by hanging the mirror vertically as well, some nice, tall wall sconces on either side would look great. Replace the ceiling fan with a semi-flush ceiling light, maybe a frosted glass bowl to soften the lighting in the room (the fan seems to hang too low and make the space smaller). I would remove the rug as well, the dark color shrinks the room. It also appears that your room is too narrow for any hutches or excess furniture. Stick with simple artwork or wall-mounted items.
  • PRO
    DH Design
    hace 9 años
    I would build a banquette under that window (or use a bench) that will allow you to push the table into the room a bit for more floor space. Add a rectangular table with leaves so it can be expanded if necessary. Depending on your decor style, plantation shutters or woven wood blinds at the window will soften the look. A small sideboard or even a slim console table could be used as a sideboard. A smaller rug and a new light fixture again, depending on your style, and it should be a very functional and inviting space.
  • Deanna Rohrer
    hace 9 años
    Remove fan with light fixture. Opt for something more today...look at Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware fixtures.
  • PRO
    BILL BRIGHT LIGHTING DESIGN
    hace 9 años
    I have offered my services free of charge. Sincere help comes to those who accept it.
  • Judith Teeuwen
    hace 9 años
    Wahever you pick from all the above recommendations, remove that clock. When having a nice dinner there's really no need to know the time. :-)
  • pcmom1
    hace 9 años
    I think our poster has left us! Hello, are you out there?
  • Anum Ismail
    hace 9 años
    Hi julievilla, just remove the rug. As it's making the room look smaller.

Secondly, please remove the plant/vine on mirror.

Please center table. And just keep 4 chairs, one on each side. As the table is too small for 6 chairs.....

Also remove the white table from this room.

A nice light or neutral wall paint will make the space bigger and brighter.

The corner china cabinet is too dark too...

Use a table cloth and runner for the table. Test with a bed sheet first before you buy.

Please move the wall clock from this room.
  • Susan Lawson
    hace 9 años
    Try tilting the table to make it parallel with the corner cabinet.
  • lsemartha
    hace 9 años
    Good morning.... I can see your dilemma and expect it is size. Is your room about 9'x11"? I do like the warm feeling of your table and chairs as well as the corner hutch (although I am not sure that the huch can fit into the space.

That said, if this were my house I would start with the oriental... Indeed, it is too large and needs to go elsewhere....if new, return to the store, if not to another room. Ie., livingroom, master bedroom etc. Take down the paddle fan and purchase a simple and size appropriate chandelier (will add photos of a couple from Home Depot), center the table and chairs 2/ side and 1/each end. The white table needs to find another home too.

Now, go to your closet and take note of the primary colors you own in it....ie., khaki white and navy, grays, light Blues etc, etc. Pick out a piece that you like the shade of best and take it to your paint store to have a gallon mixed in an eggshell finish ( scrubbable) and a quart of semigloss white for all trim. You need to create some contrast for a little interest.

Next, pick out a curtain rod in same finish as chandelier that is about 20" wider than the window. Then a pair of draperies panels and perhaps drapery rings to match rod. I would suggest simple linen-like white if you have patterned, multi-patterned dishes.... Horizontal striped if dishes are plain. Hang rod high above window and far wider than edges of window. This will heighten the room and let all the light in. Drapes should just cover the vertical wood trim.

Once done, try again with the hutch in the corner. If it looks good and not cramped anymore (and, it shouldn't because the table will not be on top of it!) consider painting the back wall of hutch a contrasting color that is a deeper shade of wall color or even black to allow decorative items placed in there to pop. When you have a room smaller than you'd like, ignore the size and create charm and focal points within. Your guest and family will love how inviting the room will be. Just be sure to not overdo.

Simple natural placemats, decorative plates for hutch, etc should work well. Never use artificial ivy, flowers.... Start perusing flea markets for an occasional decorative piece for walls...maybe a country store sign?. Clock can go to a den, kitchen. Not sure about that mirror. Also a small country bar cart woul be nice...portable as you probably get away with needing extra space. You will not find everything in one week... Enjoy the hunt for just the 'right' pieces! Will also insert some simple 'plate racks' that would be both useful and decorative! Good luck!
  • lsemartha
    hace 9 años
    A few more pictures. I really like the black and white theme... Make a decision and stick with it...too much "stuff" will only make the room look like a mishmash. Send out updates as you go..I'd love to see your progress!
  • K Kelley
    hace 9 años
    Paint looks great. Take out the rug. Makes the room looks smaller and darker. Easier cleanup without it also. Paint the chairs white or a bold, bright color, or cover the seats in a light color. Add something bright and cheery to the table top.
  • PRO
    Cole Lumber Co.
    hace 9 años
    Well, I AM a professional with over thirty years of experience and a four your design degree from a highly ranked FIDER accredited interior design college, and here is my advice.
    1. It appears that the room is a major walk thru space and that is why the table is not in the center of this small room. Is the front door to the left on the window wall?
    2. You could opt to put a bench on the wall side of the table and this would allow the table to stay closer to the wall and guests to slide in. If you do this, get rid of the ceiling fan ( it is too big and heavy for this small space any way ) and replace it with a simple chandelier hung 5' from the floor to the bottom of the fixture and center it over the table, which will require that it be moved out of the center of the room, closer to the wall.
    3. Move your rug to another room. Normally, I love rugs in dining rooms, and I'm sure you were trying to warm up this space, but given that the table cannot be centered on it I think it over powers the space and calls attention to the fact that the furniture is all over on one side of the room, yet it has to be to create a traffic flow.
    3. Paint the dining room chairs and the bench if you buy one. That will lighten up the room and be a pretty contrast to the floor. Leave just the seat part stained. Put bright seat cushions on them.
    4. Try moving the clock to the left side of the window and center it on the overall height of the window to balance the corner cabinet OR have you tried it in that blank negative space above the left side of the triangular niche in the wall?
    5. You may think I'm nuts on this, but if it were MY house I would hang wallpaper on the right wall only and put the mirror in another room. No one wants to sit and face a mirror and watch themselves chewing, plus it makes everything seem horizontal and low. The wallpaper I like is this one from Sherwin Williams. Wallpaper adds charm to a room like nothing else. You have no other place to add pattern, and it keeps you from needing art work in here. I like the vertical soft lines of this pattern, and the green accents of the birds bring out the color you have already painted. It is bright and cheerful and open.

6. I'm debating on whether or not to paint the hutch, or just put something taller on the top of it to raise it up.
    7. You need a soft fabric valance over the window mounted up to the ceiling.
    8. Buy a new console demi lune table for under the window, the one you have is too spindly and looks cheap. This will help elongate the window and carry the eye down to the floor.
  • pcmom1
    hace 9 años
    Instead of the mirror there (what guest wants to watch themselves chewing?), I think a wall of plates would add whimsy and charm.
    Dining Room · Más información
  • ljfq
    hace 9 años
    What about incorporating that window into a low-profile wall unit on either side? It might widen the room, give a place for interesting focal points and introduce accent color, which could then be picked up in the seat cushions or on the table. I agree with those who think the rug would look better elsewhere.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 9 años
    Wow.....such great ideas.....36 comments and many very good ones.
  • Jennifer Mendenhall
    hace 9 años
    Get a smaller rug. Get rid of the weird growth on the mirror. Move the corner cabinet and clock out of there. Get some really nice curtains and maybe a table runner. Move table to the center of the room where it should be. Oh, definitely get rid of the ceiling fan. Turning it on just makes me think of flying dust and nastiness getting into your food. I nice chandelier and Viola! It will look lovely.
  • Jennifer Mendenhall
    hace 9 años
    Oh yea and lose the white table too:-)
  • onthecoast1
    hace 9 años
    I would sell the corner hutch and the ceiling fan. I'd place floor to ceiling drapes on either side of the window (being careful not to block any of the window with the drapery material). I'd center your table in the room and hang a chandelier above it. I love the mirror you have now -- it reflects a lot of light back into the room. Maybe you could hang plates on the wall opposite the mirror, and hang iron candle sconces on either side of the mirror? I like your area rug with your style dining set.
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años
    I agree with removing the area rug, taking out ceiling fan, clock, white table against window & corner hutch. I agree also with adding floor to ceiling drapes extending from the corners of the room to just the outside edge of the window (to appear that the whole wall is a window). I would also place the mirror vertically. The table needs to be placed centered under a ceiling light fixture hung such as Cole Lumber Co representative recommended. Please do not add wallpaper. You will tire of it & it's extremely difficult to remove.

You did not show a photo of the full wall to the left of the table. I suspect you have the door going into the kitchen on that wall and that is why the table is not centered in the room. You may need to think of having a smaller or at least a narrower dining table if that is the case. Rethink all of the suggestions and decide what is best for you and your family. Would appreciate your comments after you have read ours. Good luck.
  • lsabbi
    hace 9 años
    rectangular rug, smaller, and an expandable table, where the sides can drop down, into a square table, or maybe you only need to drop one side down on occasion. i would also remove corner cabnit, drapes to make window look bigger, maybe that expand all the way across the room, and replace large mirror with an arrayof different shapes and sizes of mirrorz, with different framing. ;) ill post pics in a minute.
  • Jennifer Mendenhall
    hace 9 años
    That is a really good idea onthecoast1. If budget is an issue or just to get rid of it(if they can't be used anywhere else in the house).
  • stevedenver
    hace 9 años
    All of the furniture is on one wall. Move either the corner cabinet or the mirror. I agree with all those who called for the clock to leave the dining room. (It's also hung too high, the face should be at eye-height.

LIGHTING! If you can get rid of the ceiling fan, an overhead light source with less glare on a dimmer is called for. I like oversized fabric drum shades, and even more when they have a patterned fabric.

If you put a buffet or shelf under the window, put a couple of tall lamps with tall fabric shades. They will light up the corners of the room and also light whatever you're serving on that surface.

A tall floor lamp with a fabric shade on the corner exiting the room (the wall where the mirror hangs) will throw light from that end.

Make sure you provide two sources of light: AMBIENT lights the entire room in general, TASK lights the activity at hand. The table lamps on the buffet/shelf and the floor lamp provide ambient light. The overhead fixture should provide task lighting so people can see their meal and so they see each other -- it should be light that flatters the diners and meal. The light kit on the fan is the wrong one for these tasks.
    hace 9 años
    Wonderful ideas from so many creative Houzz readers. I agree, remove the rug or angle it; place table in center of room if possible; stencil or create some text above mirror to make it stand out. Take the ivy off mirror-doesn't add anything. Add a large floor plant, real or fake - greenery makes a room come alive. Add some color on walls, IE pictures, 3D vase with silk ivy hanging, tin w/ flowers, wreath in the middle of the mirror. I printed some beautiful photos of Queen Anne's Lace from the web, bought $5 frames and added a piece of sculpture recently in the bedroom.
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    hace 9 años
    The ceiling fan is not centered over the table. The table and chairs look a bit small. the rug i too big. The table needs to be pulled out to the center of the room so that all chairs can be accessible. Then install a chandelier over the center of the table. the rug is too big and should be smaller so that you can show off the wood floor but also big enough that the chairs will not be off the rug when chairs are pulled out to access their use. The window treatment needs to be dressed from wall to wall and ignore the size of the window. The corner unit should be taken away. The mirror needs to be larger and a peice of art needs to go on the opposite wall. This is for starters and will make huge differences.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.