Houzz Logo Print
sheahomesaz

POLL: Outdoor Fireplace or Fire pit?

If you wanted to, and could have either a fire pit or an outdoor fireplace which would you choose and why? Tell us below in the comments and post your favorites!
Outdoor Fireplace
Fire pit

Comentarios (11)

• PRO
    Pro Home Stores
    hace 9 años
    I agree! I'd go for a fire pit! There are several designs available on http://www.ProHomeStores.com
    Uptown Gas Fire Pit Table · Más información

Real Flame Mezzo Square Propane Fire Table · Más información

Real Flame Mezzo Round Propane Fire Table · Más información

Lombok Gas Fire Pit Chat Group · Más información
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 9 años
    As in many things, it is dependent upon the site. A fire pit if generally low and will not block a view or interfere with a vista. Whereas a fireplace can be used to help create a space or shield an unsightly view. Both are useful design elements.
  • tiffanyz80
    hace 9 años
    We currently have a firepit and will be replacing it with a fireplace. We have small kids and it's too dangerous, I'm tired of putting them in a head lock when they roast marshmallows to make sure they don't fall in. Also we've been attacked several times by flying embers. :-)
    Shea Homes - Arizona agradeció a tiffanyz80
  • cluedin
    hace 9 años
    I like the firepit, but it has to be gas.
    Shea Homes - Arizona agradeció a cluedin
  • PRO
    Cast Glass Images Inc.
    hace 9 años
    From a comfort aspect I think you can get more people comfortably around the fire pit where everyone can share equal warmth. However, I vote for fireplace - I think it's a bit more unique for the outdoors. Those are some cool firepit designs above though!
  • PRO
    Tryon Company LLC
    hace 9 años
    I have built both. Fire pits are nice from the perspective of lower cost, greater informality and providing more open views. A fireplace typically serves as a more substantial architectural element and can better anchor an outdoor room. I have built Rumford style fireboxes which retain and reflect a tremendous amount of heat, much more than a fire pit, where most of the heat goes straight up. Our fireplace reflects enough heat to fully warm both sides of an adjacent 8-person outdoor dinging table in December in California. So, in general, between the two, I much prefer a fireplace, although a fire pit is a better choice under certain circumstances and programmatic needs.
  • zazfuzzroc
    hace 9 años
    I'm with Mark. And I like the look of both.....if you can, why not? :) Great to create two separate seating areas. I really like your fireplace example. :)
  • PRO
    chim-tex construction
    hace 7 años

agree with above post...having built both it depends on several factors. Where it is placed relative to other structures, wood or gas, prone to windy area, ect. its best to not judge what best but what space will complement what fireside better..

• D C
    hace 6 años

Fireplace definitely. I have a small portable fire-pit we use on occasion I but am having a patio installed out back and am toying with the idea of adding a wood burning fireplace off to one side. That gives you the option to make an actual outdoor room, which you don't get with a fire-pit.

• PRO
    GOODFELLAS CONSTRUCTION
    hace 6 años

Fire pit is the way to go! Just takes me back to campfires and s'mores!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.