Houzz Logo Print
sondramartina

Experienced dog owners,please help !

sondramartina
hace 9 años
última modificación:hace 9 años
We got a puppy ,she is 4 months old now and my life became a mess. My house is a mess and this dog does not even shed. But the hardwood floor is smudged ,I had to remove runner from the hallway and cow hide from the living room and that makes me just not feel right. I don't feel " at home " with all those bare floors .The space around her bowls is messy ,her toys are everywhere ....
When will it be safe to bring my rugs back? How do you keep your floors clean ? I have Sweefer Wet Jet and it helps but is there anything better ?

thanks

Comentarios (421)

• onthecoast1
    hace 9 años
    I do not have rugs mainly because of odors. Non-dog owners can walk into a home where a dog lives and immediately smell dog, even though we are oblivious to it. Since I got rid of all the rugs and carpeting in my home, I no longer have that problem. My floors are also easier to keep clean with the rugs gone. And frankly, rugs disgust me now after having pulled up so much carpeting in my life -- you wouldn't believe what all is under there.

I have dark laminate flooring in my house and unfortunately, the dogs only have to go outside one time and get their paws damp, then there are paw prints all over my floor again. My advice to anyone with pets in the house is to go with the lighter color flooring (I had it in my previous home and it looked great all the time). I have a floor duster thing that I throw microfiber rags under to mop my floors. I spray water on it and buff, changing out the rags very frequently. About twice a year, I borrow my mother's steam mop just to kill germs. If I'm in a hurry, I wet down a large towel and put it under both my feet and scoot around the main living areas -- that gets the paw prints up quick.

I pickup my dogs' toys daily and keep them in a basket in the living room. By the end of the day it looks like a tornado has come through again -- no different than when I had toddlers in the house. You just pickup after them every day.

I learned not to keep my dogs' bowls on a rug because it was harder to keep the area clean. Putting a little food in a deeper bowl prevents a lot of the kibble spill-over, but really, it's just an area that needs sweeping and wiping down daily......I do it every morning. Pick up all bowls, sweep and/or mop, fill food bowls, rinse out and refill water, put bowls back down.

I have a white Siberian Husky who takes only 1 day to create hair-tumbleweeds.....literally large hairballs that blow around when you walk by. Between her and my other major shedder (Doberman), my electric sweeper is used everyday (although I NEED to run it 3 or 4 times each day). But I wouldn't trade them for the world.
  • onthecoast1
    hace 9 años
    One more thing: Never allow a dog on furniture that is made of fabric. No matter how much you try to cover it, they'll still find a way to get odors and filth all in the material. I have leather furniture and just wipe it down with baby wipes -- works really well. Same applies to your bed -- all my bedspreads are machine washable and get washed every time my sheets are washed. My Doberman spends more time in my bed than I do. :-)
  • yvonne53
    hace 9 años
    http://www.webvet.com/main/2012/09/15/interpret-your-dogs-tail-wag?xid=nl_EverydayHealthPetHealth_20141009

This site has lots of help. I think you'll find this "tail wag" info fun and informative.
  • jessiehuey1
    hace 9 años
    Petsmart will help you, and did you ever have a pet? This is not unusual, have patience and remember they respond to your tone...
    She is a baby. Go to Petsmart!
  • lindanothnagle
    hace 9 años
    have two male littermates from birth. part border collie and terrier. lots of energy and way too smart. watch all of the dog whisperer tapes. A dog from puppyhood is as loyal a friend as you will ever find. The puppy years were work, but I wouldn't have missed them for the world My boys are now nearly three. They still get their toys from their basket so we can play the name game. they still smudge the glass doors and get underfoot. they still nuzzle me and climb onto the foot of the bed at night. they are companions and protectors as well as comic relief. treasure these baby years, they will be gone so soon. recently lost my 14 year old tibetian temple spaniel. looking back at her, I treasure the puppy memories the most.
  • lindanothnagle
    hace 9 años
    have two male littermates from birth. part border collie and terrier. lots of energy and way too smart. watch all of the dog whisperer tapes. A dog from puppyhood is as loyal a friend as you will ever find. The puppy years were work, but I wouldn't have missed them for the world My boys are now nearly three. They still get their toys from their basket so we can play the name game. they still smudge the glass doors and get underfoot. they still nuzzle me and climb onto the foot of the bed at night. they are companions and protectors as well as comic relief. treasure these baby years, they will be gone so soon. recently lost my 14 year old tibetian temple spaniel. looking back at her, I treasure the puppy memories the most.
  • sadie88
    hace 9 años
    Hi Sondramartina,
    I haven't read the other posts, so I hope I won't be repeating this info.
    Simply go to the Dollar Tree store and buy several plastic place mats, or go to the fabric store and buy a piece of oil cloth (plastic, but it used to be called oil cloth) and place it under your food and water bowls. You can either throw them in the washing machine when too soiled or throw the place mats out and purchase new after a time.

Also, very important info here, regarding your wood floors, purchase the Bono High Traffic wood floor sealer and coat your floors. It is SOOO easy. Almost like pouring water on your floors and using a simple tool to spread it out, sort of like a mop, to cover your floors. This product has no smell, at least I couldn't detect anything. It will last forever and you will have NO scratch marks. I had a large, very active, German Shepherd for some years and my floors look as good as new and I am not particularly careful with my hardwood floors. Now, all that said, you will need to find a friend or someone with a Contractors license to purchase this product for you, because they do not sell the Professional Wood Floor Finish or Sealer to the general pubic. Which is too bad because it is actually easier to use than the Bono brand that is sold at Home Depot or Lowes type of stores. Do Not use the Bono brand sold to the public. It is not the same thing!

Now, for the potty training - I've used this a couple of times with young doggies and it's never failed me. Barbara Woodhouse was a very famous dog trainer from England. PLEASE! get one of her books and follow her advice. I was so happy that I did. Especially with the potty training. Which consists of this: Get a large cardboard box (you'll probably need a large appliance type box since your puppy is larger and you'll need to cut the top) go out to your yard where there is lawn or nice grass. Cut a square of this grass just below the surface of the grass so that you have just enough dirt to hold the square together. Cut a square of grass large enough to fit one end of the cardboard box and big enough for your puppy to stand and potty on. The box should be big enough for the grass area and big enough for him to sleep without being on the grass area.

During the day, frequently take puppy out to a spot in the yard where you know he has already pottied, and say the words; (gently), "Hurry up, hurry up" and wait till puppy tries. If he can't he can't. If he wants to use another spot, bring him, him right back to where you first put him and repeat the words. At night put puppy in the big box - not a crate so he can see out all sides but tall enough so he doesn't jump out of it. and leave him there till morning. If he needs to potty, he will use the grass in the box. This will train his bladder and him to go on grass in the yard in "His" spot. First thing in the morning take him to his spot.... be sure to praise him and let him know what a "Good Boy, You Are!" Soon, he will know what you expect and he WILL ask to go out. The first night or two he may whine and you might comfort him a time or two but he will soon settle down and sleep. If he is in his box and you are still up and he wants to go out, take him to his spot. Try one more time before you retire for the night if possible. Truly, this works so amazingly well, I'm surprised it is not common knowledge.

Puppies do not do well when they are yelled at. They don't know what's expected, and - No - they are not just trying to make you mad. They want to please, but they don't know what yet. So, yelling and such just upsets them, confuses them, and makes things worse. Please get Barbara Woodhouse's book. You may have to order it online since her books were written many years ago. Her main book is called "Not Bad Dogs, Just Bad People", if I remember correctly. You'll soon have peace and a clean home again.. Take Care, Sadie
  • Beerpocketbook
    hace 9 años
    I get where you're coming from! I'm a bit of a perfectionist and would love to have a nice, clean house on a regular basis, but I've had to adjust my attitude. I live with a gorgeous golden retriever - our third - who sheds enough to fill my Dyson thrice in a single "quick" vacuuming. I've lived without a golden, too, since it takes me a long time to get over the loss of one before I adopt another. It's MUCH easier to live without, than with. But if it were all about ease, I'd have to get rid of my husband, too. Anyway, I can get the house nicely clean with my Dyson and my new favorite tool - a Shark Pro Steam cleaner (3 steam levels). I hemmed & hawed over what to get for years and finally just bought the steamer. It is wonderful. Take heart with the pup - one day you'll see a little light bulb go on over her head when she finally "gets it." From then on, you'll wonder how you'll ever live without her.
  • baggie2
    hace 9 años
    We have Dudley, a Poodle mix with very tight curls. Our other dog is a Kuvasz and we were unaccustomed to dealing with the wicking up the legs of water and dirt that Dudley has. One of our solutions to dealing with that problem was to use rubber mulch in the fenced back yard, although it looks good enough to use everywhere. He is 4 and still drags toys around, even taking them outside. He stopped chewing when he was about 2 years old and we have never had a problem with him going in the house. Maybe that is because he has an older sibling who has always shown him the ropes, especially urging him to join her in barking. : ). Our Kuvasz sheds so much that if he sheds, we would not notice. Our Roomba does a great job on the carpets and we are pleasantly surprised since we have tried many vacuum cleaners. Your dog is adorable which must make up for any inconveniences. Have fun, it gets better!
  • User
    hace 9 años
    As one who has fostered many dogs over the years, including my own two seniors now, and currently provides petcare and boarding, I agree with everything that's been said thus far.

So to reiterate or add a few suggestions myself:

1) Make sure your puppy gets exercised well-enough during the day so she's less likely to be rambunctious indoors;

2) Walk her before meals, then take her out afterwards to a particular spot for her to relieve herself, and if you do this often enough, she'll get it quickly;

3) Use a crate and gates for when she needs to relax and you need a break, then leave her with a food-stuffed kong to keep her busy;

4) Contact a local trainer for advice on working with her, especially in teaching boundaries and respect for you, your family and home, as well as to bond with her;

5) Start clipping her nails regularly so she gets used to grooming, and your floors are less likely to get scratched;

6) Spray something like bitter apple or apply rubbing alcohol to cords and furniture legs to deter chewing, or if you catch her in the act, "trade" for some other high-value chew or treat;

7) Get a hot water steam cleaner for your carpets and cushions - I've used mine, a Bissel, almost monthly since I got it, a very worthwhile investment for me.

Hope all this helps, and good luck with your baby!
  • Peggy Tupper
    hace 9 años
    To laurat66: #6 seems ideal to train the dog to chew furniture. She will learn that if she chews a chair leg, she gets a treat.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Peggy,
    I can see what you're saying, but this gets into the whole debate amongst trainers and behaviorists now, positive vs negative reinforcement, something I've been learning a lot about lately.

With my own dogs and fosters, I usually corrected any unwanted behavior with a sharp "Ah-ah!" And that has been successful most of the time.

Some dogs and puppies are more sensitive, and you don't want to make them scared of you, just distract or get their attention. So the idea of trading for a chew or treat is to give them something more appropriate and to reward them for stopping the unwanted behavior.

A puppy who chews is usually teething, and their attention spans are short, while an adolescent or adult dog is expressing boredom, anxiety and frustration.

I would also add, since the OP mentioned this, that toys should be put away and brought out only a few at a time, rotated as a surprise for the puppy or dog. This reinforces the idea that the person is the provider of all that is good.

And once again as everyone else here has suggested, a good trainer or behaviorist should be able to address all of this in person.

Laura
  • Peggy Tupper
    hace 9 años
    Giving a treat for chewing a chair leg is positively reinforcing bad behaviour. The reason the dog is chewing the chair leg is irrelevant (teething, boredom, anxiety,frustration).
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Peggy,
    It IS relevant - the puppy or dog isn't chewing to purposely be destructive; they have a need to chew no matter what, so you might as well present them with something appropriate.

What method would you otherwise suggest?

Also, I'm wondering what are your qualifications or experiences, but since this thread is getting longer, please feel free to contact me at blackdogspetcare@gmail.com to discuss this further.

Laura
  • Peggy Tupper
    hace 9 años
    I am not a dog trainer but I fostered children for many years. The concept is the same. Reward good behaviour, discourage bad behaviour. To accept an abused child with significant behavioural issues, earn their trust and show them right from wrong takes patience and skill. No "book training" could possibly prepare one for such a role. A dog is like a preverbal child. One has to find methods to communicate what is acceptable. You seem pretty opinionated but became defensive when challenged on point 6. A defensive measure is to attack someone else's credentials.

Reason for doing something is NOT relevant. Is it acceptable to steal because you are broke and want something?
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    You love this dog right? It is already a part of your family. These things take time. You must have patience. Kids and spouses make messes too. Even us perfect people. Smile, this too will pass. Read my previous comments above in feed if you missed them the first time.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Sorry, I didn't mean to sound snippy, Peggy, and in reading some of your comments above, I actually think we're on the same page.

And I don't believe it's either/or with positive vs negative but rather a combination or mix with emphasis on the P+. While a well-timed voice correction can get and redirect the puppy's attention, if it's too harsh you may only create or exacerbate problems. Believe me, I say this as someone who's been there and come home to find the mess, but getting upset or reprimanding does not help matters, especially after the fact, and only makes things worse.

Yet as much as I love my dogs, I also like my things and can't afford to buy new stuff, So I try to start "training" as it were before they even come inside the home, and the saying is true here that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

To Sondra: In order to avoid these unwanted behaviors, you can contain her with the crate or gates when you're out, but when home, I'd suggest constant supervision. If this seems like too much, you can leash her to you with a simple slip lead as you go about your business. This will allow her to bond with you, and it will also be easier for you to correct or reward her in the moment.

Finally, for anyone still reading this thread, I think both Ian Dunbar, Cesar Millan or most any other trainer will agree: It's never too early to start training your pup, but patience goes a long way.

And then, ideally, every moment spent together becomes a learning opportunity - for both you and your pup.

To add to the suggestions above:

8) For scuff marks or nail scratches on wood floors, orange oil may help, but you might consult a flooring expert first on that;

9) To remove the smell of urine and prevent her from going in that spot again, you might use Nature's Miracle, though I've heard that a simple solution of white vinegar and water also works;

10) For loose hair, regular brushing, even for a supposedly non-shedding breed, and vacuuming, of course, plus high-quality food for skin and coat, may reduce this and further promote your bond.

Once again, good luck and enjoy your pup!

Laura
  • User
    hace 9 años
    "Reason for doing something is NOT relevant. Is it acceptable to steal because you are broke and want something?"

Yes, it IS relevant because dogs do not and cannot rationalize their behavior in this way, but it sounds to me as though you believe they do things maliciously.

As any trainer or behaviorist will tell you, dogs live in the moment and don't have these thought processes. And if you assume the worst, then that's what you'll probably get.

By the way, I'm no expert either, only someone with some experience who's trying to help Sondra, if she's even still reading here.

And I meant no disrespect to you, Peggy, but once again, I have to ask: What would you otherwise suggest doing in this situation?
  • Peggy Tupper
    hace 9 años
    Agree that dogs are not deep thinkers. They do understand NO and that is all that matters. The word NO should never be followed by a treat.
  • sandradclark
    hace 9 años
    Now, now kiddos don't start fighting. We all mean well and we're just trying to help a new pet owner with the obvious foibles of learning how to form the bond she'll never want to break. If we keep it up, she may learn how to love her puppy, but also how to dislike some pet owners.
  • Peggy Tupper
    hace 9 años
    I think most submiters have unsubscribed to the link and now it is my turn. Good luck with your puppy and best wishes to all.
  • Terry Webb
    hace 9 años
    LL Bean makes really good rugs for just outside and inside your doorways. I believe theyre called "waterhogs" and mud hogs. They are pretty, sturdy and save the floors! I call my one dog 'Dirty Hairy' -- if theres dirt or mud to track in he will. These rugs did the trick! My 2 dogs slop water everywhere when they drink so i put their water bowl on a large pretty absorbant mat in our office where its carpeted. As others have said, a tired dog is a good dog. A half hour off leash at the dog park really helps. Positive reinforcement with treats quickly let them know what you want. Relax, cuddle and enjoy!
  • hayleydaniels
    hace 9 años
    LL Bean also sells dog collars with the dog's name and your phone number embroidered on it. All our dogs have had them for the last 15 years, plus I buy them for family when they get a new dog. They're about $20.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    @mcbmd3, your post cracked me up, though I know how unfunny the destruction of your 9-piece sectional and furnace probably were at the time.

Separation Anxiety will drive anyone crazy, though my "Marley and Me" moments were limited to a lot of barking, eliminating indoors and food stealing, including a whole cantaloupe and one toaster dragged into the living room.

@SondraMartina, I also laughed at the photo of that torn pillow. At the time when I agreed to take in my 10 y.o. Labrador, I thought wouldn't it be nice to get him his own bed? Then I realized that for the same money, I could buy a Bissel. From the first night her was here, I knew I'd made the right choice.

(And to the poster above, the LL Bean mats sound like a great idea ;)
  • nina47
    hace 9 años
    What a gorgeous dog! Our labrador pup used to chew up everything, dig out the pot plants and lie on the (white) sofa and on the beds. We were told by the Swiss Guide Dog Society to buy a heavy sponge and if we caught her doing something forbidden, to throw it at her from a place where she couldn't see us. It really works, doesn't hurt the dog and the punishment is not coming from you, but just from somewhere.........
  • croscher
    hace 9 años
    A crate and gates are a must. Crate training is the best thing for you and your puppy. If you are worried about where to put an ugly crate, that can be handled by making it a piece of furniture. Take a look at these beautiful pieces of art that meet your functional needs: http://maricelasanchez.com/canine-accessories-furnishings/
  • Karil Drater
    hace 9 años
    Houzz needs a whole new category---I love dogs :))))
  • Paula Lewis
    hace 9 años
    There is love and there is stuff.
    Stuff can be replaced.
    Or cleaned or painted.
    And repainted...

Love, well that is a whole other thing.

Decide what you value and learn to live with reality.
  • yvonne53
    hace 9 años
    Dog is God spelled backward!
  • ekostadi
    hace 9 años
    Dear, Sondramartina,

Welcome to the club! You'll be used to dust, hair, dirt and the stuff. Meanwhile, be patient and teach your dog to... do his job... outside. They learn very very quickly, you'll see. I own 3 dogs and the hair concentrates in minutes. I vacuum every day and after years without carpets, last winter I decided to use all of my rugs, I even used my beloved cabet rug and I dressed my couches with extra covers for easy washing. Everything has gone well. Hair-hair-hair and dirt-dirt-dirt but houses have to be filled with love and care and its not so important to have a clean house, than have loving creatures all around. Think about it!
  • Robbi
    hace 9 años
    I wouldn't invest in any new rugs etc until your dog is completely housebroken and trained not to get up on the furniture. We have a Golden who just turned two and is 98% an angel in the house (2% is when you are not paying enough attention to him and he grabs a sock or something else forbidden and prances around with it - never chew it up though). We have wood floors and an area rug in the living room and wood floors elsewhere. We have to sweep the dog hair regularly, but the surfaces work well for us. We have a dust mop that gets the hair off the wood floor pretty good and a lightweight electric broom/vacumn for the area rug. The dog has a place mat for his food dish, the water dish is looks like a small water cooler and we had a door removed from a lower cabinet to fit it in. We had a plexiglass insert made (essentially a box that fits inside the cabinet) to keep the cabinet from getting wet. He can drink anytime and we don't have a water dish in the way on the floor. For toys we have a toy box (which is a wicker basket with a lid). The wicker box looks decorative and we close the lid when we have company and no one would know its filled with dog toys. Periodically we put the toys back in and he goes to the box and selects the one he wants to play with. Assistance dogs are trained to put their toys back in their toy box, but we haven't had any success with training him to do this - but apparently it is possible to train for this. We did train him to ring bells hung on the door knob when he wants to go out to avoid scratching on the door (or barking). Poochie Bells makes these or you can make your own.
  • Denise McCabe
    hace 9 años
    We have lab, he is 8 months now! Don't pick up any rug teach the little to "leave it". This phrase will be your best friend, it my option that if they get use to thing they will not bother them! The floor a steamer vacuum combo works great for me! A bathroom rug by bowls to catch water. Hope this helps!
  • Denise McCabe
    hace 9 años
    Oh if she does not bark, that why my lab had accidents was because he had to go and we did not pick up on it! I got a pottie bell it looks like a bell from hotel and trained him to ring it when he has to go out! When you clean or doing other things it's hard to notice when they need something!
  • spring101
    hace 9 años
    Poodles are very sweet dogs when they know they are loved. They do anything to please the owner and are very in tune with what you expect. Use loving tone with your dog when he demonstrates behavior you want and disappointed voice when the dog does something you don't like. Don't yell though.
    Give the dog a nibble of a treat immediately when it goes "pee pee/ poo poo" outside. It's amazing how quickly the dog learns when they goes potty outside they get a treat (rather than inside). You can eventually wean the dog off the treats. You can do this for training the dog to do tricks as well. Watch dog shows on tv and you will always see the owner with a treat in their hand that the dog works for. Our poodle learned to dance, walk on hind legs, roll over, high-five, etc. the first 6 months due to treats. But a puppy needs frequent potty breaks outside. I remember at 2 months taking my dog out every 2 hours like a human infant until he learned holding his bladder through crate traing. A puppy's bladder muscles are weak when they a few months old.
    We always wipe the dogs feet off with a towel before coming in from outside.
  • Roger Miller
    hace 9 años

I have 47 dogs, and my house is just fine. The only thing I would suggest, is training her to not go on anything that would be considered valuable.

• sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años

Just remember this. I have never heard anyone as an old person or in their dying bed saying:

"I wish I have had a perfect house. Perfectly cleaned." They all wish they have loved more, laughed more and end enjoyed their pets more.

A super clean house is a sterile house. In all senses.

LIVE MORE. CLEAN LESS

• Roger Miller
    hace 9 años

Okay. The only thing that's wrong with my house is that it got flooded, and, my girl dogs, except the oldest because she's spayed, decide it's okay to pee in my room. The other girl dogs are pregnant. Anyone want a puppy?

• susanparrish
    hace 8 años

Having a dog means you will always have floors to clean. The joy is worth it. We had our "last" dog die unexpectedly and found ourselves dogless for the first time in 15 years. The house was never cleaner or quieter. Now we have another 2 rescues and my husband is vacuuming right now and it's my turn to wash the floors.

• Lori Gessner
    hace 8 años
    Not sure what your specific problems are. Having a puppy or even adult dog is like having children. I couldn't live without a crate for my puppy while we are out and even a timeout break when needed. You puppy is adorable, reminded me of my Toby who is now about 7 months.
  • lindanothnagle
    hace 8 años

crate?? Ugg! More time spent with them the more you can teach and learn. I have 2 border collie mix, 3 years. When I leave they are to go to their couch, I explain that Mommy goes, puppies stay. give them a treat and off I go. no barking or whining If I don't it is a mad house at the door. they understand so much more than we give them credit for. I used the dog whisperers methods and the "Taz twins" settled right down. One sleeps on the foot of my bed, the other snuggles against me. They are very different personalities one is a smarty and one is a lover. Caesars' method work excellently for them both. his videos are on utube. great stuff.

• lindanothnagle
    hace 8 años

crate?? Ugg! More time spent with them the more you can teach and learn. I have 2 border collie mix, 3 years. When I leave they are to go to their couch, I explain that Mommy goes, puppies stay. give them a treat and off I go. no barking or whining If I don't it is a mad house at the door. they understand so much more than we give them credit for. I used the dog whisperers methods and the "Taz twins" settled right down. One sleeps on the foot of my bed, the other snuggles against me. They are very different personalities one is a smarty and one is a lover. Caesars' method work excellently for them both. his videos are on utube. great stuff.

• L Mountain
    hace 8 años
    Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner with a microfibre mop. Spray and then mop with the microfibre mop. Dries almost instantly. Removes any marks or smudges. Hardwood looks amazing. Good luck!
  • PRO
    The Hunter Company
    hace 8 años

Whenever we complete a project, our team loves to use BONA Hardwood Floor Cleaner. This is a fantastic product that always leaves the floors clean and looking like new. On a personal level, my wife uses this cleaner every week in our kitchen - even when we had dogs - and our floors looked great.

• lacovi3
    hace 8 años

My dog sheds a lot and for me the Neato robot vacuum has been a life saver.

• Nancy in Mich
    hace 8 años

Now that it is a year later, how is the Original Poster's dog doing?

• bellarosa
    hace 3 años

We have baby gates to limit our three toy poodles access to certain rooms. I take them for walks (3x a day) which tires them out - it's only a 20-30 minute walk - but come night time, they are knocked out. Lazy dogs! LOL. As for the floors, we have hardwood floors as well and will be repairing them after living in our home for 30 years and have 7 poodles.

• Steph
    hace 3 años

I don't have dogs anymore but two long haired cats that shed like crazy. We have a powerful shark vacuum and it does a pretty good job of keeping all our decorative rugs clean, but on top of that I'd suggest getting a carpet rake. A lot of people don't know what these are anymore, in fact the only place I could get one myself was through amazon, but they work wonders. Your rugs will look as new as the day you bought them, and you will be horrified at how much hair you pull out of them that even the best vacuum overlooks. This is the one I've got, but there are a few variations. You mainly want one that has metal bristles, not rubber or plastic:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZFNN2/

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 2 años

We have a Pyrenees he is fur factory and I would never have wood floors with him he weighs 150 Lbs. We have a pea gravel dog run which he has free access to all the time we have a washable mat at the doggie door that catches most mud and dust but not all BTW we actually have 3 dogs but he is the biggest, If you want a dog there is just an adjustmnet needed for how you live . I agree either lots of walks or like us a dog run for those other times when a walk is not happening. I agree a crate is not a place for punishment but there are ways to keep them out of the areas where you are concerned like the kitchen is oftn a spot where owners do not want the dogs so think baby gates

• Kristi Larson
    hace 2 años

Your puppy is darling and in time with good training will become your best friend without messes! Get a trainer to work with you ASAP if you can. That will help. Crates are great but at 4 months be very careful how the crate is introduced. For the toys, I have a beautiful basket and my Red Standard Poodle (3 now) knows this is where toys are kept. I’ve not been able to train him to pick up the toys and put them back, but at least all toys are there. I have a hand towel by each door (hidden / ex black floor to ceiling panels by sliding doors and a small black hand towel on the floor under the panels) and always wipe his feet before he comes inside! A large horse brush by the door is used to very quickly brush his body after he plays outside. I find carpets helpful and my floor is a hardwood Swedish finish. The light wood is more forgiving than dark. Good luck! And never give up! You and puppy can figure this out!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.