Houzz Logo Print
vanduynhouse

Concrete over a plywood subfloor with 16" on center floor joists

Luke VanDuyn
hace 9 años
The original plan was to do a 2" concrete pour over our radiant heat system as recommended by our builder. We are hearing a lot of concerns from concrete contractors about pouring that thin. Does anyone out there have any information about how we can do a finished concrete floor on a plywood subfloor with 16" on center joists? Or do we have to go a different route? What would that route be? We are going for a very modern look. Thanks for any information you can provide we are at a loss for what to do at this point.

Comentarios (6)

• Luke VanDuyn
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Kevin, thank you for taking the time to comment, we really appreciate the information! The original specification was for I think 3,000 lb concrete, but I will have to double check. Would you have any concern putting the 4x4 wire mesh over the top of the radiant tubing (Already stapled to the floor, as shown in the picture) or would you recommend pulling that up and placing the wire mesh below it? Attached is a picture of the house if you are interested, I would also love to hear your feedback on the design. thanks!!
  • PRO
    Kevin Moore Architect
    hace 9 años
    We had a similar concrete floor with radiant tubing and the wire mesh (attached to spacers) just floated over the top of the tubing. The concrete was specified to reach 3,500 psi at 28 days with a water-cementitious ratio of 0.45 and a max. slump of 4" with shrinking reducing ad-mix. With some judicious control joints we only had a few cracks.
    The design looks great I like the materials.
    Luke VanDuyn agradeció a Kevin Moore Architect
  • tim grubbs
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Good morning! I know this sounds crazy but I want to do a concrete floor over plywood in a mobile home bathroom. We did a concrete overlay on kitchen counters and they turned out beautiful, Any information would be great! Thanks

• Tanner Blower
    hace 4 años

Very Nice home!
    What did you end up doing? I am wanting the same modern concrete look with radiant floor heat.

• AZ Irish
    hace 2 años

Luke, that looks like a great design. I hope it turned out as you hoped. I am just now in the planning stages of designing and building my own new home. I'm looking to do a similar design so I'm very curious to hear what you ended up doing and how it turned out. I am also curious to know what material you used for the "wood" siding. Is it actual wood plank or a composite material of some sort? It looks amazing so any info on the product would be appricated.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.