Houzz Logo Print
lwhaggerty

Refresh or start over my dining room?

Lynne
hace 9 años
My dining room dimensions are 13.5' x 12.5' and I rarely use it except to walk through. My existing furniture is left over from when I downsized to a town home 16 years ago. My home is decorated in a traditional style though casual style throughout. I would like, in particular, to get rid of the dining table and chairs. The chandelier is builder's grade and also needs replacing. I recently threw out the rug under the table. I would consider eating in my dining room if it was more inviting. Any ideas on how to create a new dining room that blends in with the living room a little more?

Comentarios (35)

• Lynne
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    The fourth image in my post is not mine. Not sure how it got there.
  • PRO
    Janet H. Designs
    hace 9 años
    I love your harp BTW !
  • flopsycat1
    hace 9 años
    I tried to get a better look at the living room to see more of your style. It's bright and colorful- raspberry chairs, little blue chest by the window, patterned drapes. The dining room, on the other hand, is colorless and unexciting. As the previous poster has commented, first decide how you would like to use the room. Yes, new light fixture is a great idea. Whatever you decide, I think the lovely colors of your living room should inspire you.
    Lynne agradeció a flopsycat1
  • Lynne
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    The reason I don't use the dining room is because I feel so alone there, especially at night. I want to enjoy eating there or just lounging over a cup of coffee. So I like your idea of a table with pedestal base and cozy chairs as it will also incorporate the living room a bit better. Yes, I have books ... many books and enjoy reading. I am also an artist (botanical) and love nature.
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    hace 9 años
    Add a new happy toned rug, get a new chandelier with rock crystal, strip/pickle the chairs a creamy ivory.
    Lynne agradeció a Gray & Walter, Ltd.
  • Lynne
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I should also add that I have 3 children + their spouses + 9 grandchildren and I can't forget them in my planning scenario.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 9 años
    The set is a bit formal. If you no longer care for it , then push yourself by selling on Craig's List. Once it is gone, set yourself a comfy chair and large side table and lamp in the bay for a morning coffee spot. There you can contemplate what will work best when you entertain family. Take your time, shop second hand as well as Craig's List and you'll soon find the right way to deal with this area.
  • acm
    hace 9 años
    wait, how does that fit with feeling too alone there?

I mean, are you saying you want it to be both inviting for you to sip morning coffee and also able to accommodate a hoarde when they visit?

personally, i think much of the problem arises from the little walls that frame your vestibule -- they break up what could be a lovely room visually and flow-wise, sort of putting the dining room into a time-out corner. so I'd put removing all the walls and pillars in my long-term wish pile.

but honestly, with those fabulous bay windows, you should find a way to use the space anyway! wow. maybe you could put a little cafe table with just two chairs into the window bay, or a single comfy arm chair with a low table that could hold coffee/breakfast, and then focus on making the rest of the DR into a space for entertaining your army, including the new light and other updates to make it feel more like home (colorful rug, maybe recover the chair seats with something that feels more like the other room, etc.). let the windows be your lure into the space, even if the official "dining" area still gets walked through. (if you stuck a low bookcase where that extra chair is, to the left, that would help even more. maybe you can get some nice folding chairs for when visitors come.)
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 9 años
    See, that bay window is calling you!
    Lynne agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • Lynne
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I agree about those silly walls and pillars but we'll save that for another day.

And as for my large family, we only get together at my house about once a year and I can always schedule those gatherings in the summer when formal dining isn't expected.

I agree with the comment that the existing furniture is too formal. It's also a waste of space and needs to be put to better use. I'm liking many of the ideas you've all given me here. Comfy, cozy, relaxed, are the words I think I'll work with. It is so nice of you all to help me with this project.
  • Andrea Nickol
    hace 9 años
    I would sell the furniture that's in there now. Build a banquette, add a couple of comfy chairs and a smaller table, add some books, rugs, pillows and curtains.
  • PRO
    Lakeside Interiors
    hace 9 años
    What I'm seeing is a nice round table with 4 upholstered chairs around it. Round table because it will highlight the bay window, upholstered chairs so they are comfy, cozy. It looks like you might have 9' or 10' ceilings so you can get a chandelier that has some height to it. Nothing stuffy. Look at LampsPlus. They have some fun pieces. Make sure it has some dimension to it in height and width. Add a rug. Round would be fun but rectangle will add some different lines in the room. You could eliminate the china cabinet and add wall unit that can be used as a bar for entertaining and display your accessories.

If your bay is deep enough put 2 upholstered chairs and a table in between them in it. You can look at my Houzz site to see some ideas of wall units and bay area seating.
    Lynne agradeció a Lakeside Interiors
  • chuppi
    hace 9 años
    The chairs on either side of the cabinet is not working...the cabinet has to go to one side & you could get a bench for informal seating next to it...hang some picture above bench! Also I would rotate the dining table with long side parallel to the china cabinet. Could put some indoor plants next to bay window if you enjoy plants. Yeah it could be nice to use this wonderful space you have as much as you use other parts of your house...repurposing the dining into a hobby room as wjhayesmlumber suggested is a great idea!!
  • anne dee
    hace 9 años
    this space could be an extension of the charming living area but designated as a cozy reading/relaxing area as suggested in the ref pic
    Books on the wall where the china cabinet is now positioned
    Coordinating/complementary colours for the upholstered sofa and chair and ottoman and curtains to the LR area
    The colours seen in the ref pic appear suitable to yr very nice space https://www.houzz.com/photos/mcmillen-residence-traditional-family-room-atlanta-phvw-vp~1004598
    Lynne agradeció a anne dee
  • Maureen
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    I would whitewash your dining set and reupholster chairs (or add slipcovers) and you could add comfy captains chairs (that could be pulled to the window for reading). Remove all the pictures and go with botantical prints in sets. Change your chandelier and add informal rug underneath. On the wall between window and kitchen (or on both sides of the window), add a bookcase. Add bamboo blinds or roman shades. This room can now be used as a library, office, dining, and for reading. houzz=
    Palm House · Más información
  • groveraxle
    hace 9 años
    Maybe if you went a bit (or a lot) more whimsical, you'd want to sit here more.
  • Lynne
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    That's pretty cool how put furniture and accessories in my dining room! But whimsical won't work with what I already have.
  • PRO
    City Living Banquettes & Booths
    hace 9 años
    Great space for a banquette or booth. You can get a banquette or booth made by CityLiving Banquettes & Booths in Chicago. They ship nationwide and will build whatever size and style you want. Visit their website at www.citylivingdesign.com or call 312-335-0711.
  • Lynne
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    The bay window is not very large. The bump out is only 6' wide and 2' deep and the window sills are only about 1' from the floor. Therefore, I don't think a banquette will work.

So far, I'm thinking a long sideboard for the solid (10'3" long)wall would give me a nice place to hang a set of my own botanical paintings over it. I'm having difficulty finding a sideboard via the internet, however. And it looks as if I could fit a round table with 4 upholstered dining chairs as well as a separate window chair and side table at the window. But will that be too much for the room? What about too much upholstery? I
  • PRO
    Lakeside Interiors
    hace 9 años
    I don't think it will be too much upholstered furniture if you use the right furniture. I'm not talking about overstuffed pieces. I can help you with the sideboard if you have a style in mind. There are manufactures out there that are to the trade only and you will not find them on the internet. There is also the option of having a piece designed and built for you. If you would like to contact me offline you can reach me at fern@lakesideinteriors.com or 847-512-5045.
    Lynne agradeció a Lakeside Interiors
  • PRO
    Бахтинов Николай архитектор-дизайнер
    hace 9 años
    Chandelier is too simple for this furniture, change it to classic with a lot of glass details. Also add textile on window
  • PRO
    World Class Window Coverings
    hace 9 años
    White Plantation Shutters would look beautiful in that bay window and also really help brighten the room!
  • MarleneM
    hace 9 años
    I think a round table with some trellis chairs would look wonderful in your DR. If you want upholsterers chairs, use a trellis patterned fabric to have a garden/botanical look.
    Mediterranean Dining Room · Más información
  • MarleneM
    hace 9 años
    Another inspiration photo with upholstered chairs and lovely sideboard.
    Dunbar Home · Más información
  • groveraxle
    hace 9 años
    Maybe whimsical won't work, but you can certainly go more casual. Get a less formal table, keep the chairs but cover them with slipcovers, get brighter art--maybe your own botanicals--and a new chandelier with some sparkly glass.
  • PRO
    Patricia Gagnier Gagnier Construction Co Inc.
    hace 9 años
    Hello Lynn, You have some wonderful things in your home. I would suggest you move the tall hutch to the entry where the sofa back table is. It will help give you a grander entry and you can still display the items you love. Next turn your table. I like the size for our space. It should be directly under your light fixture now.You could add a chain cover and some small shades to the existing fixture for a new look. I would look into refinishing your table and also your chairs to a lighter washed or pickled finish. Perhaps with a hint of color added. If that is not in the budget then just redo the slip seats in a botanical print with colors that you love. Or replace them with 4 fabric covered arm chairs, small in scale but comfortable. When you have extra guests these can be used in your living for additional seating. Add drapery panels on the outside of the bay window in a fabric that complainants your slip seats, or use the fabric from your living room. Perhaps with a little fringe or small tassels running down the edge? You could also use a tab top and add the print from your chairs like a "scrunchy hair tie" pulled down over the tab. It will give you a very custom look and pull it all together. Hang your prints on the large wall and move the family pictures to another space. You might try moving that sofa table to the short (pony) wall in the dining room and add a small lamp at one end. Add a floral to your table for more color. Its hard to see but perhaps you could use one of the low bowls on top of you hutch as the base then have a custom floral made using some of the flowers from your prints or a Fern which is always a nice touch. Perhaps one in the window or the corner? With the added prints and color you may not need a area rug. Sometimes it becomes a trip hazard! I can tell you have good taste. Just remember just because someone is "old" does not mean it can't have a new life with a little face lift!
  • maryanns
    hace 9 años
    Some panels with decorative rods and finials mounted above and outside the window will warm up that window and make it appear larger looking. Also adding chargers and placemats and napkins to the table would help as well as a nice centerpiece and a decorative round indoor/outdoor rug in possibly a scroll pattern.
  • maryanns
    hace 9 años
    Actually just noticed the table is oval so a long rectangular rug would be better ...a table runner along with placemats, etc would work also. I have flat, wooden looking chargers on my table and when I want to eat there, I just push over the placemat hidden underneath and it protects the table from any condensation, drops of food, etc.
  • PRO
    Janet H. Designs
    hace 9 años
    Lynne, with so many household members, the space would be great for your grandkids to do homework while you enjoyed a good read....then you will not have to feel alone in the room. I like the idea of the sideboard with your own botanical art above it.
    Lynne agradeció a Janet H. Designs
  • Joy
    hace 9 años
    I agree with Anne dee, except I would keep the area as a dining room and just add shelving for books and a comfy chair and side table. I see your dining area as a library/dining extention to your living room. All great libraries have tables or large desks to spread materials out on: research projects, maps for trips (I know, I know who needs maps with our technology of today. Try to explain THAT to my husband!) In your china hutch I would mix some books with your china and on your added shelving around the room, I would also use the shelves for books and dining stuff.

You stated that it was lonely sitting at the table. With books around and maybe a few stacked on your table for reference or what not, you would be dining with all kind of characters. ;-)

I would not add a table cloth, just upholstered seat cushions, maybe box ones with piping. Change out your chandelier to something a little more dramatic. Truthfully, looking at your living room, I don't think you need help in choosing materials or colors. You are very talented. You just need a fresh set of eyes to see what you can't see because you live there daily!
    Lynne agradeció a Joy
  • Joy
    hace 9 años
    Ha ha! just noticed your dining chairs are already cushioned! Ignore my last comment about boxed, pipped cushions!
  • Lynne
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Attached photo -- I'm trying out this glass table (which I had in another room) for the bump out space, along with an occasional chair I also have. The remaining bolt of fabric that matches the living room drapes is also shown in the photo.

Personally, I think the drapery fabric is too big to do anything simple with it in that bay window but the chair and glass table might work. I have decided to keep the buffet (and add some books -- great idea), get the table top refinished, have the entire living/dining room repainted, replace the chairs with upholstered ones, get a really nice chandelier and a really nice rug. Your suggestions have been great so far and I'm very excited. Any more thoughts and ideas are more than welcome.
  • anne dee
    hace 9 años
    Lynne,
    Your ideas are great.
    Keep going, and
    by all means keep us informed.
    Please....
  • maryanns
    hace 9 años
    You might want a taller, narrower table to actually put in the window to display items. This window has treatments installed right on the windows but like I commented before, you can just do small rods on the outside of the bay and hang panels also
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.