Houzz Logo Print
maryann_dale

Built in Mid Century Planter - What to do with it

Mary D
hace 9 años
My husband and I just bought a midcentury modern house that we are renovating. We want to really respect the architecture of the house, but not look like we are living in a time warp. We are thinking of a modern “Room and Board” look. We plan to replace all flooring in this main floor with wood floors to match the floors in the rest of the house. This current “Rock holder” we believe was a planter at one point in it’s life. My husband and I are debating what to do with it. We have gotten mixed reviews on it. The planter would separate the foyer area with the living room and after it is said and done it would be close to the same color as the wood floors. We wouldn’t’ do any plants that droop down and nothing too tall either

The wood floors guy is coming Thursday to install so we need to make our decision officially. What does everyone think? Is it unique and cool looking or not..? Would you do anything to it? What type of plants? I have seen snake plants planted in these things, but wondering if that would be too tall for this area. Our sectional couch would start in the other side.

PS - the furniture & wall art you see is the previous owners

Comentarios (22)

• Darzy
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    I would suggest removing it (even though it's a cool feature). But, imagine how much bigger the space will feel and give you more opportunity for furniture placement. Congrats! What a great house.
    Mary D agradeció a Darzy
  • Darzy
    hace 9 años
    My first thought was to keep it and add ferns, etc. Removing the planter box would then cause you to do something different with the overhead lighting too. But, I'd still opt to remove for a more open and spacious feeling.
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/50s-remodel-traditional-staircase-portland-phvw-vp~1502869
    Mary D agradeció a Darzy
  • bgfuqua
    hace 9 años
    I would keep it. I like darzys plants above, but would add some tall spikey ones.
    Mary D agradeció a bgfuqua
  • Monica Ellison
    hace 9 años
    Wow! Cool house! Can you remove it to install the flooring then return it? If not, I would recommend that you remove it so that the flooring is consistent throughout and then find another mid-century design feature to replace it. Good Luck! Please share photos of your progress.
    Mary D agradeció a Monica Ellison
  • bunnyllg
    hace 9 años
    Are the pendant lights new? I would remove the planter (and lights - maybe you could reuse in kitchen?) and create a cool mid century room divider type screen. Some of the ones suggested were interesting.
    Mary D agradeció a bunnyllg
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    hace 9 años
    Put some wood on top and turn it into a buffet type piece?
    Mary D agradeció a Brandi Nash Hicks
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    hace 9 años
    Cool house by the way
    Mary D agradeció a Brandi Nash Hicks
  • PRO
    Gallery117, LLC
    hace 9 años
    Are you a plant person? If not, get rid of it. but if you like to have live plants anyway, I would leave it, as it is very mid-century modern. personally, the bamboo would be a really cool option, but it would interfere with the lighting. The idea of having the floor installed without it and the replacing would be an appealing option, as it leaves you a choice!
    Mary D agradeció a Gallery117, LLC
  • Mary D
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Yes, I love live plants.
  • Mary D
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    The pendant lights are new. Previous owners installed before putting house up for sale. I wouldn't have picked them but I do like them.
  • Mary D
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    The planter is built in. Cannot move. I wasn't planning to remove the lights. They are the only lights in the room besides some lamps that we will bring into the room. The room is actually a pretty decent size. I will post another picture.
  • bungalowmo
    hace 9 años
    I'd find a way to keep it!

You can always do something different, like maybe put something interesting in it with pastel, diffused lighting & a beveled glass top. Make it sort of a backlit interesting table.
    Mary D agradeció a bungalowmo
  • britneymoen
    hace 9 años
    You could build a top for it and upholster it for an entry bench
    Mary D agradeció a britneymoen
  • hazeldazel
    hace 9 años
    I would keep it, depending on what you did it could look really great. Maybe some Motherinlaw's Tongue?

http://retroranchrevamp.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/finished5.jpg?w=584
    Mary D agradeció a hazeldazel
  • Darzy
    hace 9 años
    I like the idea of removing so the flooring will be throughout the main level. Then, you may decide to put it back later.
    Mary D agradeció a Darzy
  • kpappal
    hace 9 años
    I love it! If you love plants, it's perfect! It makes your room unique. Love the room.
    Mary D agradeció a kpappal
  • Mary D
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    We decided to remove the planter. I am still conflicted over the decision, but we will replace with a cool piece with MCM flair. We were nervous to lose the flexibility since we were getting the floors redone. The floors were started today. I will post an image once the room is more set.
  • PRO
    Gallery117, LLC
    hace 9 años
    Thanks for the update! I am always interested in what people decide:-)
  • Usuario de Houzz-207976527
    hace 3 años

You better deck that place out with period EVERYTHING ! Nothing wrong with a time warp. Do you know how many mid century modern purists would give their dominant arm for this place ?

• Usuario de Houzz-207976527
    hace 3 años

I can’t believe you removed that planter. That is NOT respectful of the architecture and design. You straight people really know how to totally screw up a FABULOUS house

• suedonim75
    hace 3 años

I can’t believe you removed that planter. That is NOT respectful of the architecture and design. You straight people really know how to totally screw up a FABULOUS house

5 year old thread. And really, "straight people"?

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.