Houzz Logo Print
jessnjules

Just bought our first home, and need help with design please!

jessnjules
hace 9 años
Hi guys, I'd much appreciate some help with colours and furniture layout for an old 60's weatherboard cottage we just purchased. We plan to do as much painting/ new carpet etc as possible before moving in (get keys in a month) and need to work out a design.
These pics are from the real estate - as you can see the previous owner did absolutely ZERO to get the house ready for sale, it's dirty, has smoke stain (so gross) and in desperate need of a paint job.
I have a very eclectic/ vintage/ rustic farmhouse style and love to use bright colours on painted furniture/ accessories and art - so I am thinking a grey for the walls with a white trim? is this too bland? I'd love to do a feature wall also but not sure where and what colour. We need new carpet for the bedrooms and also plan on doing a full paint job on the outside - thoughts on colours? I like the bright blue/white coastal look.
Also I am REALLY struggling with the layout of the living space - the room just off the front door (s) - there are 2 entry doors, is a 'nothing room' and I'd really love to give it a function, would it be strange to make it a dining room? There aren't many walls to be able to use it as a loungeroom either..
We have a 2 year old toddler so we wanted a corner for her toys and the lounge area is an awkward space given the wood heater is plonked right in the middle of it.
*Please excuse the terrible house plan, an architect I am not! lol*
Any advice or thoughts would be fantastic! Thanks :)

Comentarios (20)

• jessnjules
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    more photos...
  • Neryl Hollingsworth
    hace 9 años
    I simply adore your home! What wonderful colours! Maybe a sideboard or console table could help the kitchen bench separate from the dining room? Good luck!
  • User
    hace 9 años
    If you haven't got the keys yet, I presume you haven't done final settlement yet. If not done already, get a qualified building inspection and also a pest inspection.
  • jessnjules
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hi Neryl, great suggestion thanks :)
    Chookchook2, we had a pest and building inspection done before exchange, thanks for your input though
  • PRO
    Scavolini Kitchen, Living and Bathroom
    hace 9 años
    Hi Neryl, if you need some ideas, feel free to go for a look at our profile for kitchen, living and bathroom ideas, or our facebook www.facebook.com/ScavoliniAUS or even our official page www.scavolini.us . Hope it held you with some ideas!
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Good. Colours coming into trend are greyed down pastels.
  • 123tmc
    hace 9 años
    Make sure you get advice regarding painting when the walls are badly stained with nicotine.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Agree, you should work with the green colour outside.
  • jessnjules
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks for your input everyone :)
    I have painted a house before with some nicotine staining and used Zinsser Bullseye stain blocker primer and then painted. Should this be sufficient?
    Also I was hoping to paint the green gutters as it's been done already before (quite badly) and want to neaten it up. Thinking having a green colourbond fence shouldnt look too bad against a dark blue/ white house?
  • Fiona
    hace 9 años
    Is the roof green as well as the gutters?
  • Jessie Webster
    hace 9 años
    The roof is just corrugated iron and as it's a skillion roof you actually can't see it unless you're on a ladder
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Hi jessnjules,
    well done on the house which has got a lot of potential. For your ceiling I can recommend a Stretch Ceiling. Comes in all sorts of colours and finishes and you never have to paint it. Check it out (sdc australia) Good luck and lots of fun renovating :-)
  • Fiona
    hace 9 años
    The carport roof in the photo looked green, which is why I asked. If the roof is just plain, go for your crisp white and blue! With a few plants the green fence won't be obivous
  • neilsie
    hace 9 años
    You should be able to fit a small dining table round or square in the foyer close to verandah could work really well. Also the back room would make an excellent place for your child's toys and perhaps a small sofa a TV area as they get a little older and friends come over
  • aesthetikah
    hace 9 años
    Congrats, great potential. I agree that a grey like limed white would be great on the walls. The ceilings look lower than some 60s houses and painting both ceiling and walls in the one colour or 1/4 strength can accentuate the height of the rooms. White trim on the skirts and door frames are not too bland but those windows may look better framed with a darker trim. This colour palate will be a great canvas for you to add colour and texture that you indicated you like in furniture, baskets, throws etc. Suggest sticking to painting pre move in and once you've lived there a while you will know what you/house needs. Enjoy
  • Judy Blackburn
    hace 9 años
    As it's 1960's how about going with the integrity of it's original design and opting for colours from that period - I'd suggest shades of grey with white and canary yellow highlights... You can always then add some fun with cushions in stripes or zigzags say orange and white or red and white or yellow and white - Lots of cheap cushions avail at Target and Big W, JJ
  • raimai
    hace 9 años
    That little space near the door is where I'd position a couple of small to medium size comfy chairs angled with a small table between as a cuppa and reading spot in that light. I also like large mirrors, so would position a massive mirror behind the chair on wall at right angle to entrance, and a very small console under it. (Console would become my plant and flower spot).
  • raimai
    hace 9 años
    *correction, obtuse angle from door! nothing 90o about that.
  • PRO
    Zetta Kanta
    hace 7 años

Beautiful home and congratulations! Looking at the photos and seeing fireplace and timber, eclectic/ vintage/ rustic farmhouse style is perfect for this house. You could soften the walls with some rugs or wallhangings, that would give you rustic feel. :)

Heart Felt by Zetta Kanta · Más información

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.