Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

What's your design pet peeve?

Emmeline Westin
hace 9 años
última modificación:hace 9 años
It's time to fess up, what gets on your nerves? Might it be magnolia-coloured walls, a specific style you don't agree with, low ceilings, empty interiors, astroturf or maybe clutter?

Share below (but please be nice)!

East London Flat · Más información

Comentarios (98)

• gilliifer
    hace 8 años

I really dislike mismatched chairs round a dining table. Not keen on beige anything. I love vintage but only small touches. Not keen on open plan at all, why does everyone keep knocking down all their walls? Messy, noisy and cold. Sorry.

• Andrew Millar
    hace 8 años
    just about everything really he he
  • silyab53
    hace 8 años

Massively Big Bold Flowered Wallpaper. It's everywhere on TV makeovers and, as a result, has crept into thousands of home. What folk forget is that a little sample might look ok, but putting it on a 'feature' wall, or, worse, all walls, is ghastly.

In my humble opinion, of course!

• sootsprite
    hace 8 años
    Trends. If you want a style or color that is not on trend, good luck finding it in the store!
  • Nuala Raftery
    hace 8 años

All white kitchens with huge islands and wall ovens with no work surface to put hot food down.

• PRO
    Anne Curtis Interior Design
    hace 8 años
    1980s pine furniture
  • Coco Nuts
    hace 8 años

Short curtains. Tinted windows that make curtain lining look manky. Pine anything. Themed rooms. Orange painted walls. Victoriana. Red,oh God I hate red and thon Llewellen-Bowen guy's wallpaper designs. I'll stop now...

• turquoisetree53
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

tawdry chandeliers in Kitchens and most normal modest proportioned rooms; no books or paintings in soulless, posed rooms; rectangular banks of gleaming built-in ovens, microwaves and coffee-makers in contemporary kitchens.

• silyab53
    hace 8 años

Taste is individual - and we all make mistakes, but, more than anything I have developed a dislike of certain words or phrases. Feature wall, water feature, feature fireplace - in fact 'feature' anything, decking, master suite, 'in need of modernisation', faux, wall stickers, on trend, upvc - especially if a replacement for wooden sash windows, et al. Need I say more? I so could!

• alant1000
    hace 8 años
    Those big garish damask 'posh' wallpaper prints that are black backed with white - or worse, silver. It's like watching a episode of 60 minute makeover - 10 years ago.
  • Karen W
    hace 8 años
    Just to add to what silyab53 said, a 'pop' of colour, or a colour will make it 'pop'. These words might sound great the first time they're said but they are done to death, and just sound like you've swallowed a (bad) interior design dictionary.
  • stabmonkey
    hace 8 años

I am sick of 'pop' too. And the misuse of the words 'edit' and 'curated'. My partner dislikes the word 'storage'.

• silyab53
    hace 8 años

I must add one thing, made worse as a friends house reflects this in every room........BEIGE! Go on, be bold, add a bit of brightness into the dull, sad world of beige..........sorry beige lovers.

AND - I might get fed up with GREY quite soon, which is regrettable as I have some grey velvet curtains and a couple of grey sheepskin rugs chucked on a 50's armchair.....But I Saw It 1st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 30 years ago when I split from fiancé and bought my house the 1st thing I put in were grey carpets throughout as I wasn't 'allowed' them in the house we shared!!!!!!!!!!!!

• User
    hace 8 años
    Don't think they've been mentioned yet, but mad patterned carpets! Also have to agree with the chorus of overhead lighting, feels like you're about to be operated on. Oh and black with red!
  • paulineelawson
    hace 8 años
    Unfinished interior looks. My house is full of that...I just can't seem to finish off the look. My style keeps changing. This could be partly to blame.
  • PRO
    Staged for Perfection
    hace 8 años
    I have a problem with either too many little things with tiny furniture or furniture that is enormous. So my pet peeve really is rooms that are furnished to the wrong scale.
  • stabmonkey
    hace 8 años

books on their sides.

• Leila Rasheed
    hace 8 años

Typography and stags' heads are both so over.

• egghead123
    hace 8 años

Could never understand stage head thing..just why??

• egghead123
    hace 8 años

Stag's head...great..tired and typos..

• Leila Rasheed
    hace 8 años

oh, and chalkboards! They look lovely in the pictures, and in theory are practical & creative, but I went to school when it was still blackboard and chalk (ancient :)), and it makes SO much dust. I'm not tempted.

• stabmonkey
    hace 8 años

Patchwork sofas.

• stabmonkey
    hace 8 años

Dark walls. Grey anything. Magnolia.

• PRO
    Emma Painter Interiors
    hace 8 años

Bad lighting..by bad I mean ill thought out: so a pendant light that shines right in your eyes or a wall light you walk into and so on....grrrrr

• rev1896
    hace 8 años

Inappropriate architectural details added to old houses, clumsily designed kitchens, bathrooms & joinery, excessive downlighters, sockets and thermostats in full view, shabby chic style, slavish following of trends like grey and copper and hipster style! (google fynct for a good laugh).

• Sherbert Barnes
    hace 8 años
    Artex ceilings!!!! Artex anything!!! Artex done by anybody who was " keen to have a go"!!!! Hideous!!!!! Sorry folks! But I just hate it with a passion!
    That, and anything that has 'Live, Love, Laugh, Life' on it!!!! Absolute nonsense! And please please can we get over this silly bunting in the home phase!!!! :-))) xx
  • angelboyman
    hace 8 años

Multi-coloured leds. I hate them in the kitchen, I hate them in the living room, I hate them in the bathroom, I hate them in the garden. Don't mind the kids having them in their room but everywhere else I think it looks cheap. Save it for the nightclub!

• Jan Johnson
    hace 8 años

Clutter which does not have a use or purpose.. i am not against deco just a little.

• G Vincent
    hace 8 años

Badly fitted carpets, they completely spoil a room. Our rented house has lots of these, I don't think it's meant to be a design feature though!

I agree about black and red too, not a fan here.

• marivon1
    hace 8 años

Wow! Reading all the above, where do we ever start with a "plan" of how to do or decorate anything! I think I agree with at least one point in everyones comments!

• kazza_hayward
    hace 8 años

Karen W that drives me mad too 'pop'! I also hate 'eclectic' as it usually means a mess or I'm just being poncey!

• Anastasia Aston
    hace 8 años

I needed some inspiration for hallway and had a peek at several hallways when we did Halloween trick n' treating. Why does everything have to be white/very light with beige carpeting on staircase? I saw only one house with striped carpeting. Not that it was 'very wrong', just empty looking. And we do live in 'naice' London area full of Victorian houses.PS. I do not go around other people houses thinking what terrible taste they've got. It's their home and they more often than not tend to be cosier than they look on pics. It's hard to pinpoint a strong 'no-no'!

Generally not loving chasing trends, brown leather sofas, massive framed photos (feels slightly narcissistic!), massive plasma TV

• Kittihawke
    hace 8 años
    Shabby chic: like why wreck the furniture before the kids do?
  • msecobabble
    hace 8 años

Designing or buying anything for your home where you expect to chuck it or change it in a very short time frame. How can that ever reflect the whole you?

• PRO
    Stella Michael
    hace 8 años

Anything with little personality, character or depth ... that is, either super traditional and looks like it's stuck in time or the opposite, all new interiors that have no life or personality. I find a combination works well and has endless possibilities.

• lindalovie55
    hace 8 años

people who dont realise that ....taste is such an individual thing.

• PRO
    Petronella Hall
    hace 8 años

show house perfection! they have no heart and no homliness, everything matches too perfectly , no personality, no soul.

• PRO
    Torn Edge
    hace 8 años

Symmetry and coordination - especially in beige and white. For me it's a sign of being too safe (insecure?) and having no adventurous spark in design.

• Trisha Goodwin
    hace 8 años

Undecorated rooms - that is all neutral, usually with some nasty dark leather sofas up against the walls. OK, I can take the leather sofas (we are stuck with ours for a while yet) but they need to be up against some sort of colour or finish please! Too wee pictures and most of all mirrors too wee, look like a token gesture, especially in halls and bathrooms. Artwork put up too high and those awful boxed canvas things that look like you bought them in poundland, please at least go to the charity shop and find a few old paintings you love or frequent local art schools. Short curtains that come to just under the window ledge - in any room in the house, full length and plenty of width (even if basic calico cotton) or nothing! Awful white plastic curtain rails, when poles are so cheap nowadays. Belfast sinks because they look country style, sorry, my grandparents lived with these in the country and loathed them, wanted modern stainless steel, easy to take care of and hygienic. The British (OK English) obsession with vintage and country style, sorry we live in the 21st century and this Marie Antoinette play acting stuff really, really gets me!

• mrshste
    hace 8 años

Any décor where you can tell nothing about the personality of the people that live there.

Give me colourful 'clutter' over white minimalism any day!

• mrshste
    hace 8 años

Oh and en-suite bathrooms... cannot understand the desire to have a toilet so close to where one sleeps!

• User
    hace 8 años

slushy neutrals& sloppy beige &showroomish lighting

feel a bit uncomfortable if everything looks perfect as well

also overpowering carpets like red and yellow ones-particularly as they are expensive to replace and impossible to make them look nice.

• Lauren
    hace 8 años
    Awful off the shelf wrapped canvas triptych artwork is my biggest bug bear. They usually feature a generic forest/sunset/vague swirly pattern. Nothing says 'I have no personality at all' like these things.
  • Rachel Oakes
    hace 8 años

House plants; I hate them.

• PRO
    Stella Michael
    hace 8 años

mrshste ... and I thought I was alone in disliking en suites for the same reason! I said this to a real estate agent yesterday and he looked totally confused ... like I was a martian from another planet ... it did make me laugh. I also agree with you re modern bland supposed minimalism ... although I love the original concept of minimalism which was anything but bland or even very white.

• 33612alison
    hace 7 años

Modern Homes with a huge TV on one wall and sofas and chairs lined up against the opposite wall as if watching TV is the only thing the room is for

• lindalovie55
    hace 7 años

patterned curtains with patterned wallpaper.

• Lisa Herring
    hace 6 años

wood cladding....my parents had it in their bathroom....to much like a sauna

• tezz4
    hace 6 años

Frills, swags and tails, anything flouncy, most curtains and fitted carpets, and l can't have anything green other than plants, and l don't go for rustic.

I love a lot of different styles that come together nicely; l would say "eclectic".

• PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 6 años
    Still this !!!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.