Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_frahm

Bathroom window dilemma with renovation!

Jennifer Frahm
hace 9 años
Help! My bathroom is home to a very ugly window at a height which prevents the mirror being at face level. I have to bend over to put on make-up! In keeping the bathroom reno budget friendly - I was planning to board over the window (under floor to ceiling tiles) throughout and put in some good lighting to mitigate the "lack of natural light" / and or a downlight. Also putting in a large oval mirror above a new bathroom vanity cabinet. Also moving the toilet to where the washing machine is (to the right), making the separate toilet room a european laundry, frameless swing glass door for shower / bath. My thinking on covering the window is not popular - and all other suggestions seem very costly (eg shift the bath under the window, take the window out and put new windows in), and make the small bathroom smaller. Am I missing something? Another solution? All thoughts very welcome!

Comentarios (35)

• PRO
    Pyramid Design Group Architects
    hace 9 años
    Your solution is fine - but it would be better if you also remove the window completly and patch the exterior.
    Jennifer Frahm agradeció a Pyramid Design Group Architects
  • rocketjcat
    hace 9 años
    If you board over the window from the inside, what are you doing on the exterior?
    Jennifer Frahm agradeció a rocketjcat
  • Jennifer Frahm
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks PDG and rocketjcat - I'm working through the options on that at the moment. The lazy option is nothing - it will still look like a dark window from outside (faces a courtyard), and the "proper" answer is remove completely, box and patch. It's a brick exterior.
  • PRO
    Pyramid Design Group Architects
    hace 9 años
    If you don't remove and paatch exterior and the window should break or leak...so do it correctly now and saveyourself a problem later.
  • makaloco
    hace 9 años
    I wouldn't want a bathroom without a window and would try just about anything else. I'd say get the washing machine out, but if you could do that, I'm sure you'd have said so. Where is the plumbing for the bathtub? If it's on the window end, it might not be a huge deal to turn the tub 90º so that it's under the window and put the sink in the freed space to the left. In fact, that may be less expensive than covering the window, floor to ceiling tiling, new lighting, etc., but you won't know until you get estimates. Moving the toilet is likely to be costly, depending on your sewage setup.
    Jennifer Frahm agradeció a makaloco
  • Jennifer Frahm
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks makaloco - yes, the washing machine is going. There is a separate toilet room outside of the bathroom. I'm turning this into a european laundry and that's why I am moving the toilet back into the bathroom. The plumbing works for that easy and so it's a relatively cheap move. I've looked at moving the tub 90 degrees and putting the vanity to the left wall as you have suggested. It feels like it will reduce the floor space - as the room is not square. But I haven't mocked this version up with a 3D layout plan as yet - so you are right, I should do this before ruling out!
  • makaloco
    hace 9 años
    Jennifer, thanks for the additional info and plan. I was assuming that the separate toilet room was entered from within the bathroom, across from the washing machine. That part is clear now. One possibility would be to install the toilet with its back to the bedroom wall and the vanity next to it, which could be done without changing the window or bathtub. Yet another would be to reduce the window width so that you could shift the vanity to the right but keep it against the courtyard wall. Not sure of dimensions, obviously, but your current vanity looks to be 90-95 cm and the window 150-160?
  • Jennifer Frahm
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Ah, makaloco - these are things I haven't considered, thank you! So the window is 150 wide and the vanity is 90 (35 deep). The small wall by the bedroom is 135. So I could do that if I made the vanity 600 and made half the wall a mirror... Now thinking of it that way - I guess the obvious and easier option might to move toilet under the window (where vanity is) and have the vanity up against bedroom wall. But the hesitation there is the toilet would be the first view as you walk in the door! And if I can't remember to keep that door closed my basic understanding of feng shui would suggest that looking at a toilet as soon as you walk in the door would not be too flash!!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 9 años
    Remove the window and replace with two tall narrow windows on each side of the mirror space. I would want to keep a window in the bathroom. A mini chandelier might be nice. Maybe a possible ceiling fixture for lighting.
    Jennifer Frahm agradeció a LB Interiors
  • rocketjcat
    hace 9 años
    I too would not eliminate the window, nor just cover it up inside, which would probably come back to haunt you assuredly as the “lazy way" (ha) in a future sale. In your current layout, your 2 small rooms are made smaller due to the necessity of doors and door swings. I would suggest combining them in to 1 room and gain floor space. I think if possible I would remove the walls between them, eliminating the door into the current toilet area. Move the tub under the windows, place the toilet to the left of the remaining door (out of sight through the open hallway door) move the sink to the right wall where the washer used to be and move the the washer down into the alcove that used to house the toilet. Just something to think about. Maybe you could play with something like that on your layout drawing and see what you gain?
  • makaloco
    hace 9 años
    Trust me, you don't want the toilet facing the door! Mine is that way, owing to a similar problem with the window, and it looks really silly. 135 cm on the bedroom wall isn't much space for both vanity and toilet. You need at least 75 cm for the toilet, so as you say the vanity would have to be 60 cm. Here is one photo where such a layout seems to work, though in reverse:
    Oakland Home · Más información

This article on bathroom measurements might be useful:
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/key-measurements-to-make-the-most-of-your-bathroom-stsetivw-vs~26567086
    Would you consider replacing the tub/shower with a shower only? That might leave more space to the left of the door for the vanity. But I realize some people don't want to give up the tub, especially if it's the only bathroom.
  • J Petempich
    hace 9 años
    I think the most inexpensive way, is try reworking the window with glass blocks up the middle with two small windows one on each side for ventilation. Then a longer mirror would look more appropriate because it wouldn't be blocking a window that opens only glass blocks.
    Jennifer Frahm agradeció a J Petempich
  • J Petempich
    hace 9 años
    If you use my idea of glass blocks check out Spyra glass blocks. I think they would frame the oval mirror.
  • Laura Redenbaugh
    hace 9 años
    You didn't mention a vent fan. Often baths with windows are built without a fan so removing the window would violate building code. That could cause you or your heirs a big headache when it came time to sell the house. My bathroom mirror isn't at a bad height but I'm so blind without glasses that leaning in and that hurt my back. Solution was a makeup mirror on a swing arm mounted at proper height. It has a magnification side which is a plus.
    Jennifer Frahm agradeció a Laura Redenbaugh
  • Jennifer Frahm
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    @ rocketjcat - thanks, yeah, I do have a quote and plan on that option (knock out the walls, close in the hallway toilet door, it pushes the $$ up a fair bit. I didn't think of that layout though -- and I'd still have to factor in the laundry... but there is void of was intending to make a linen cupboard which could be a european laundry... I'll revisit.

@makaloco - nice! That is helpful. Alas - I am a bath diva. Life would be much cheaper /simpler if not!!

@ Laura - you win for the most budget friendly idea! Love it!! There is a good exhaust fan above the bath so that much is covered.

Thank you all so much!
  • Jennifer Frahm
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Yegads. I may have it. In something so ridiculously obvious. I had planned on putting up a tall shallow medicine cabinet on the wall opposite the toilet eg starting at 5 foot tall. I could maintain the current plans - simply tile above the vanity and upgrade the window fittings, and make the vanity mirrored (I had it fixed in my head for that to be matt finish reduce clutter). That would suit my purpose eg putting on make-up - but would it be weird for people who come in to use the handbasin and not look at themselves? Or keep some mirror there and let them stoop?
  • makaloco
    hace 9 años
    Even better, install a shallow shelf underneath the mirrored medicine cabinet to hold your make-up while applying it, so that you don't have to keep opening and closing the door. You'll probably be able to see better than you would leaning over the basin, and guests can surely take two steps sideways if they wish to see themselves, right? Sometimes the simplest solutions work out best!
  • PRO
    Pete Goodlet Design
    hace 9 años
    Hi Jen
  • PRO
    Pete Goodlet Design
    hace 9 años
    Just checking my newly created profile works..is it possible to put a front loading washing machine next to the bath or even better there but facing into the kitchen in a cupboard.. then I would put in a longer vanity with a central 500 mm mirror with a louver window inside..which would leave you plenty of room to place your chosen artwork on the wall opposite the bath...this also leaves you with a separate toilet
  • PRO
    Pete Goodlet Design
    hace 9 años
    Whole bathroom area could be great increased in size by blocking off the entrance from kitchen and putting in a cavity slider next to the heater in what I guess is the lounge..this would reduce the number of doors and give you a lovely generous bathroom space with layout options that leaves window in place
  • Carol Johnson
    hace 9 años
    Use a taller mirror on pivot brackets and keep the windows - would be one alternate.
  • Jennifer Frahm
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Closing the loop with the finished version! Thanks all for your suggestions - between the new white window, the mirrored cabinet and the make-up mirror on the vanity, I think it comes up well!
  • Jennifer Frahm
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    And the floor to ceiling linen cupboard and new laundry / utility room
  • rocketjcat
    hace 9 años
    Great job! It looks beautiful. So glad you kept the window! :-)
  • asquithoatley
    hace 9 años
    Looks amazing! Great job : )
    Jennifer Frahm agradeció a asquithoatley
  • makaloco
    hace 9 años
    Well done!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 9 años
    Very nice. Looks great!
    Jennifer Frahm agradeció a LB Interiors
  • PRO
    Pete Goodlet Design
    hace 9 años
    Looks gorgeous Jen and I love the artwork with the towels and the plants..well done x
    Jennifer Frahm agradeció a Pete Goodlet Design
  • flopsycat1
    hace 9 años
    Love the floor! What tile did you use?
    Jennifer Frahm agradeció a flopsycat1
  • Jennifer Frahm
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks @flopsycat1 - it's Cretement Pewter from Beaumont Tiles http://www.beaumont-tiles.com.au/AllProducts/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=79972&group=1&groupname=Tiles%3Etile%3C%2Fa%3E+and+%3Ca+href%3D I love it too - it has a really interesting character to it, comes out more with wear.
  • flopsycat1
    hace 9 años
    Thanks, Jennifer! Looks great but showrooms are on the wrong continent for me.
  • marilynellis
    hace 9 años
    Take out the mirror but do it right and fix outside too. Otherwise you will probably have water damage or mold sometime in the future. Your idea sounds very well thought it out. Just don't do it cheaply for a quick fix.
  • Jennifer Frahm
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Oops, so much for closing the loop - looks like I just opened up a new one. Apologies to original posters, feel free to use the "click to switch off notifications about new comments" link below.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.