Houzz Logo Print
farmgirl1776

Huge 20 foot high family room wall: what to do?

farmgirl1776
hace 9 años
The upper wall in my family room is huge and empty. The ceiling is 20 feet high, with a "bump" in the middle at 10 feet. I'm open to anything: fabric, trim, etc. The paint is greige, and I have turquoise glass accents for color on the fireplace mantel. Do I leave it? Do I fill it? Help!

Comentarios (19)

• farmgirl1776
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    I've got huge ceiling issues, too:
  • PRO
    Boards and Beams Co. LLC
    hace 9 años
    How about something with wood? We did something similar. See pics. Hope you like it and get inspired from it! http://www.woodboardsandbeams.com
    farmgirl1776 agradeció a Boards and Beams Co. LLC
  • PRO
    Barbarossa Leather
    hace 9 años
    Large pieces of Artwork. Maybe classic black and white family photos. Anything that brings height (tall vases, etc). I would draw attention to it, not try to hide it :) Hope this gives you some design inspiration!
    farmgirl1776 agradeció a Barbarossa Leather
  • PRO
    Cliff Young Ltd.
    hace 9 años
    You could turn it into an art gallery if you own art, but you cannot go too colorful or overpowering. The simplest solution is to get creative with paint
    farmgirl1776 agradeció a Cliff Young Ltd.
  • rbcola
    hace 9 años
    @farmgirl1776:Along the same lines as above suggestions.....I saw a ceiling tile sold on houzz.com that looks like metal (tin, etc) that can be adhered to ceiling to introduce texture, color. Check them out. In the right application I think it beats the "usual". Perhaps inside your hectagon circle for example. Best wishes.
    farmgirl1776 agradeció a rbcola
  • User
    hace 9 años
    If this were my house, I would fill in all the octogon holes.
    farmgirl1776 agradeció a User
  • rbcola
    hace 9 años
    I agree the octogon holes are a challenge....
    farmgirl1776 agradeció a rbcola
  • PRO
    FORM CARPENTRY | Carpenters & Joiners West London
    hace 9 años
    Definately your own mini art gallery with random sized artworks/frames..
    farmgirl1776 agradeció a FORM CARPENTRY | Carpenters & Joiners West London
  • farmgirl1776
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I like the idea of putting wood on the ceiling to warm up the huge space. What do you guys think of neutral patterned fabric over huge canvases on the blank wall? I like the idea of artwork on the walls, but I can't seem to figure what KIND....
  • PRO
    Barbarossa Leather
    hace 9 años
    Don't be scared of Pattern. And I like the idea, because you change it out for the season or when you want a quick change..like with pillows!
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    hace 9 años
    I'm an artist and would love for you to put my art up on that big wall, but I say leave it as is. You don't want people to start looking up into the empty space to see the art. Keep everything at eye level.

That's an interesting ceiling you got. Wood is very tricky. I like the idea of it on that ceiling (leaving the hexagonal shapes alone) but I'd keep it to a lighter shade.

Good luck. Post after pix. :)

https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa
    farmgirl1776 agradeció a Shoa Gallery
  • abbyjean
    hace 9 años
    The only thing is, art up that high or pics of the family up that high would never truly be seen to be appreciated. your neck would hurt from trying to look up that high. Coming down the stiarway gives you a wall to maybe see. Thing is, your eye only sees and appreciates what is at that normal height in your room and the rest just disappears as part of the upper part/ceiling of your room. My opinion, but I like it just like it is.
    farmgirl1776 agradeció a abbyjean
  • Suellensilver Silver
    hace 9 años
    Try wallpaper
    farmgirl1776 agradeció a Suellensilver Silver
  • PRO
    Barbarossa Leather
    hace 9 años
    suellensilver! Wallpaper is a fantastic idea!
  • zweiback
    hace 9 años
    Cloud mural!
  • groveraxle
    hace 9 años
    Leave the high wall alone. Get rid of the curtains on the corner window, and replace the row of hooks with a gallery wall.
    farmgirl1776 agradeció a groveraxle
  • Suellensilver Silver
    hace 9 años
    Barbarossa, in the olden days, before computers, I was a textile designer & hand painted designs to be engraved on rollers! I have had a long career in the home furnishings industry in one way or another & my current position is all about beautiful (and some not so) wallcoverings & fabrics. TY
    farmgirl1776 agradeció a Suellensilver Silver
  • farmgirl1776
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Groveaxle, that is really fantastic. What program are you using to create that? I need it!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.