Houzz Logo Print
vanduynhouse

How to cover/hide an EPDM "Flat rubber" roof?

Luke VanDuyn
hace 9 años
Are there certain products/finishes or other ways to hide the black rubber? The roof is brand new and I didn't expect it to look this way... I should have done more research as to what an EPDM roof was..

Comentarios (19)

• User
    hace 9 años
    You could paint it with one of the acrylics that is designed for rubber roofing. In some climates, they try to have a white roof to keep the heat out.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Ps we have this kind of roof but it's flat so we can't even see it.
  • hazeldazel
    hace 9 años
    I would recommend using a product for rubber roofing to paint it white. It will look cleaner but more importantly, it will make your roof significantly cooler and lead to lower energy bills.
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 5 años

Cover it with smooth stones.

• Connolly Jenkins
    hace 5 años

White also looks awful. And you can see any dirt and bird poo. Neighbors have even asked what's going on with it. And it's not even perfectly flat so adding stones would not work.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

No flat roofs are completely level; they must evacuate water. The stones will work perfectly.

• Randi Perry
    hace 4 años

Thank you for your suggestion/advice! I am in this situation too. We are building a house and had no idea from the architect's plans how awful the rubber roof would look from the 2nd floor bedrooms. What type of place would I contact to purchase/install the stones? Thanks again!!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 4 años

I'd get some smooth river rocks from a landscaper.

• jpp221
    hace 4 años

Following

• skunst2017
    hace 4 años

They have roofing paint for your type of roof in silver ..which looks nicer than white ...and blends in better ..plus it protects the rubber from drying out !!!! They have all kinds of colors , red , silver , green and white

• PRO
    Richard Wagner Architects
    hace 3 años

I think the smooth stones would work in perfectly and have a nice look, but be sure to check on the weight/amount of these stones and your structural roof design (#/s.f.) Probably not a factor but just in case, better safe - do the research - than sorry - ceiling deflection. Just a thought.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 3 años

Good point. I worked for an engineer that donated the drawings and supervision of his church's addition. The room dividers wouldn't work after the roof was ballasted.

• Benjamin Whitehouse
    hace 2 años

Surely the stones would risk blowing off or birds knocking them off?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 2 años

No. It's called a ballasted roof.

• 3onthetree
    hace 2 años

Goodness gracious NO, capital ehn-oh. I surely hope Mike and Cindy Homeowner isn't coming to this thread and reading that it is ok to go to Home Depot, buy some bags of white marble chips, and throw them on top the flat rubber roof. You don't just add stones to a flat roof, it is an entirely different system designed from the get-go, severe structural ramifications, different edge and penetration details, etc.

With an existing installation you'd have to use an EPDM manufacturer-approved coating (= paint).

@Joseph Corlett, LLC you should just delete all of your posts in this thread.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 2 años

3:

You should read and comprehend the threads upon which you're commenting before typing.

"Severe structural ramifications"? Sorry 3, I beat you to that point 4 posts up.

Nowhere on this thread did I remotly imply that someone should go to Home Depot, buy bags of jagged marble chips, and scatter them willy-nilly. That is a mischaracterization bordering on lying.

A fair question was asked regarding birds and wind and roofing. I stand proudly by my response. Too bad you can't do the same.

• 3onthetree
    hace 2 años

Joe, sink replacement and counter extraordinaire, the structural implications were brought up initially by an architect (and surprisingly laissez faire at that). Prior to that you initiated the comment of covering with stones and doubled down on that advice; that is wrong and bad advice. A new commenter resurrected this old thread, probably searching for advice on what to do, and asked about it in reference to your comments. Your response there is wrong too, as specifically-designed ballasted roofs have a gravel stop edge detail different than just an exposed EPDM roof. We haven't even gotten into the thickness of the EPDM, fastening method, type of gravel used in ballasted roofs, and warranty.

Roofing is a very nuanced trade; it requires lots of pouring over manufacturer details and understanding which systems are correct for a specific project. You might be smart enough to go outside your wheelhouse to catch up with that knowledge, but you haven't and it is obvious in this thread.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 2 años

3:

I have installed plenty of EPDM roofs. Never had a callback. There is nothing wrong with a ballasted EPDM roof. The ballast is not blown away or carried away by birds.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.