Houzz Logo Print
chapelhillelem

Painting and rug...do they work?

chapelhillelem
hace 9 años
I have purchased a new rug in indigo shades to replace a solid color beige rug. I am wondering if the artwork on the mantle works with the new rug. Ignore the extraneous items...trying to declutter.
Also, I am looking for a great accent color to add some pops if color.

Comentarios (24)

• nicolediane
    hace 9 años
    I really like the rug with your furniture. The painting does not go with your furniture, with or without the rug.
  • chapelhillelem
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you! The furniture will be replaced in the very near future. I appreciate the comments. I do have a different painting in another room that I can swap with this one.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 9 años
    The rug and the painting are not a match. I like both of them on their own...but they would not be considered a "pair". The green/yellow on the painting is too much for the rug.

I also think the painting is a bit too tall for the fireplace. The fireplace is made to look like a squat little black hole when paired with the long, tall, colourful painting. I would like to see what the other painting looks like in this space.
  • Judy Tobey
    hace 9 años
    If you go on Art.com, you can download a picture of your room/fireplace area and you can literally try out paintings to see how it would look. Sign up for their emails, they have fabulous sales. Their framing prices are high, go to Michaels for that
  • Judy Tobey
    hace 9 años
    The painting is also "fighting" with the texture of the fireplace, which is lovely btw
  • PRO
    User
    hace 9 años
    the painting looks too small for that space anyways. if the painting won't work u can look for a nice mirror to hang above the fireplace. blinds look too boring there, i would go for roman blinds instead in similar indigo color.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 9 años
    also u need a bigger floor lamp, preferably with crystal base
    maybe a plant in the right corner
  • pagosapamie
    hace 9 años
    I don't often like a mirror over the fireplace, but in this case with so much texture on your fireplace wall I would like you to try it. Also the mantle is just too skimpy. You can beef it up a lot by adding larger trim around the edge and replacing the brackets with larger ones.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 9 años
    Picture though nice is too small for area. Rug is too dark. But right size.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 9 años
    Remove everything from firepl front. A big 45" sunburst mirror would be nice over firepl. A shag rug in a color maybe teal would work. If you want art rather than mirror. Ck Pier One they have a large peacock picture that has your colors but it's the right size. Ck on there other items that match that look like pillows etc. ck them for rugs also.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 9 años
    Is your sofa looking at a TV.? If so move chair so it's over on other side of sofa angled to firepl. Move fl lamp next to soda. Side with chair. Add panels to,windows in a metallic teal satin. Ed Bath n Beyond should have. To finish look. Can we see rest of room?
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 9 años
    Is that a end table by sofa. Add a table lamp to it. Silver or gray drum style shade. Teal base. tall. TJMax has great lamp, pillows accessories. Try sunburst mirror in silver over sofa hang 7" from top of furn TJMax carries.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 9 años
    Should be next to sofa not soda, and Bed bath n Beyond. Hate auto correct. Let's us know when buying furn. That will make a world of difference. Think color and scale. Like a 5x7 shag rug may work just as well.
  • PRO
    Ellen Catanzaro Custom Art
    hace 9 años
    Rug too dark. Painting works with furniture, and I think it actually is a good size. Try a sisal rug. If you are keeping the rug, maybe a cool mirror over the mantel. Good luck!
  • chapelhillelem
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Cancork Floors
    Thank you for your response. It pretty much confirms what I have been thinking. Here is another piece if art I tried. Sorry the photo is rather dark.
  • chapelhillelem
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Judet6
    Thanks! My job is relocating me and I have to put my house on the market in a couple of months. I am trying to use what I have if possible since I will be moving into a smaller place. I appreciate the compliment about the stone.
  • chapelhillelem
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    S&A Decor
    A mirror might just work there but do not want to buy one since I will be moving soon. That is a fabulous idea about indigo roman blinds. I like them anyway but could not afford since this was my first home. I will definitely keep that idea in mind for my future location. I just want my home to look as nice as it can so I can sell it. I was thinking about a plant. I already have a planter but will wait awhile to actually get a plant.
  • chapelhillelem
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Nancy Travisinteriors
    Thank you for responding. The rug is actually lighter when you see it in the house and with the blinds open fully. I have to keep this rug which is why I am trying to work with it. I will check on your suggestion. My home has various colors of blues and greens throughout. I do not want to buy anymore than necessary since I am selling my house soon. I have to love it and it needs to be something I can use in another home. I feel sure I will be downsizing due to my new location.
  • chapelhillelem
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Evcata
    The rug is lighter than what you see in the photo. I do have to keep the rug. I need to spruce this room up so it will look nice when it goes on the market. Thank you for your comments. I have been working so many hours that I have not had time to decorate and I am not good at it either.
  • chapelhillelem
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    pagosapamie
    Thank you for your comment. I am putting the house on the market in a couple of months so I won't be spending money to beef up the mantle. Just curious though...don't really know how to do that since it is a slab of limestone and the supports are stone as well. I will have to see if a mirror may work better than artwork.
  • PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    hace 9 años
    Art is not cohesive with the present furnishings.

J Design Group, Miami Interior Designer - South Miami - Coral Gables - South Beach - Sunny Isles - Miami - Pinecrest - Williams Island - Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida - Ocean Front Contemporary Decorators - http://www.JDesignGroup.com
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 9 años
    Think taller and wider on picture go more color like first one.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 9 años
    If you are just staging home for sell. Don't spend a lot of money. Save that for new home. Just make rooms uncluttered and clean. People are impressed with furn. And a furnished home sells faster than not. So when showing home. Open those blinds all the way. Let in the light. A sunburst mirror can always be used in new home and adds light. TJMax is great get a big 35-45" one. Remember scale when buying furn etc. I would not buy any big pieces till you move. Furn has a way of not fitting into new places. Add some colorful pillows in prints to sofa. The rug you have is very dark I would return and leave floor bare. Place a faux tree to left of FP and move chair so angled across from firepl. Remove all family pic from area. No items on refrig, clean off counters. Open drapes in all rooms. Have candles burring on open house or showings. If there are pets make sure all beds, bowls and toys are out of sight. You want the rooms to look open. Nice bedding goes a long ways and can go to next place. Unless walls are a awful color, don't paint. Kitchens sell homes. So you you are looking for more money put it into appl, and paint on cabinets. With new brush nickle pulls. Bathrooms also could be updated if need be. Paint goes a long way. Make it neutral.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.