Houzz Logo Print
nubabi01

roof choice for 60's ranch

hace 9 años
My husband and I are in the process of choosing a roof shingle for our ranch style home. For the last 35 years, we have had a caramel color asphalt shingle which tied in nicely with the colors in our stone facade. The 2 features which are fixed are the stone facade and the cedar exterior door (my husband made that with much effort to please me!). As there are considerable blue/gray tones in the stone, I would consider changing the palette to highlight those tones. The wood trim and stucco are due for some considerable repair and repainting. We hope to plan the scheme for roof and basic house colors in unison with one another. As a side note, we live in an older suburb outside of Philadelphia, Pa. Many of the homes surrounding us are 3 story colonials. We were a 60's add on when a double lot was split. We have enjoyed working on our garden for the last 15 years or so. The colors there are rather vibrant for months of the year. I would not mind a palette that is rather subdued (some might call it somber). Thank you for your help-
Philadelphia "Rancher"

Comentarios (9)

• hace 9 años
    Cute house!

Any of the shingle colors you have there are good. I lean toward the darker ones, but I'm only looking at your photo.

Drive around and look at what others are using, and whether or not you like it. Is there a similar house somewhere or a house that comes together in a look that "speaks" to you?

Picking a roof color can be so exhausting.

Nice door!
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Simple light great with texture. Allows you to use colours for doors, frames and others
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    +1 on darker gray.
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Agree with the darker grey for the roof, now get the stucco and clapboard in a shade or 2 lighter so your stone stands out and your other elements blend.
    PLEASE paint your front door too, either contrasting bringing in another color of the stone that compliments the beautiful hand made door or get rid of the door and get a plainer one in wood that coordinated with the hand made door. Could be so so beautiful.
    Regards,
    Karen & Joseph
    for Decorative Philosophy
  • hace 9 años
    Like the darker grey, too.
  • el último año

I would suggest a light grey, light blue-grey, or medium blue-grey (like slate blue) for the roof of your home.

• PRO
    el último año

@Sheila Beers

You might check the dates on threads you respond to. Houzz shows these old threads all the time -- this one is 8 years old!

• el último año

Even if the post is eight years old, someone else may have a similar situation and may be helped by my comment.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.