Houzz Logo Print
alykrucher6

Anderson 400 series OR Marvin Integrity Windows?

alykrucher6
hace 9 años
I would like to know which is a better window. I have a gaslight Victorian that needs to have its windows updated. One contractor highly recommends Marvin Integrity and my architect feels the house calls for Anderson 400 series and says it's a better window than the Marvin Integrity. What do you think?

Comentarios (45)

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    hace 9 años
    We just are not thrilled with Anderson. We installed them in a sunroom and could not get the windows and transoms with comparable jambs and it took days to get everything to work out.
  • Brandon Attard
    hace 9 años
    Andersen makes a lot of different windows. The Renewal product is know to be a very high quality and very nice looking product. Marvin is a good company as well but in my opinion and experience the 400 series windows are excellent choices as well.
  • PRO
    TMK Remodeling
    hace 9 años
    Marvin is the top of the line in both product and price. Andersen is mid to upper line with product and price.
  • PRO
    Matus Windows
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    As a dealer of Marvin Windows in the Ardmore & Glenside areas of Pennsylvania, we find our customers are very happy with Integrity windows. Integrity has a wood-ultrex series (pultruded fiberglass with a wood interior). The wood-ultrex series is ideal for an older home with existing wood windows.
    Andersen 400 and Integrity windows are about the same cost wise, but the Integrity windows have much nicer details and greater performance.
  • PRO
    Black Dog Architects Co.
    hace 9 años
    I agree with Matus. BTW, Integrity is not the same as the premier Marvin line. They ARE very nicely made, quick turn around, very efficient and nicely detailed. Plus the fiberglass exterior is paintable, stable and non-pvc.
  • PRO
    Black Dog Architects Co.
    hace 9 años
    To be fair, I also use the Andersen 400 series for some projects, as they have a more contemporary feel, and even the ANdersen 200 series fits the bill on some budget or contemporary projects. But the PVC shell gives me pause these days.
  • ddux97
    hace 9 años
    Black Dog, could you expand on your comment on the PVC shell giving pause? My husband and I are designing a new home and looking at Andersen, Marvin, and Kolbe wood casements. My husband's parents have Andersens that are about 36 years old, appear to be from the early days of the PVC sash and exterior with the wood interior, and they are still in great condition. We've been looking at the others with the wood sash and aluminum cladding to avoid the PVC look on the sash, but have some concerns about moisture and rot in northern Wisconsin. Of course, when you look on the internet they're all bad. We're undecided at this point. Any input by others would also be appreciated.
  • PRO
    Black Dog Architects Co.
    hace 9 años
    My comment was based only on polyvinyl chloride being worse environmentally than fiberglass. The Andersen shell, the Integrity fiberglass shell (cladding) and aluminum all serve to protect the exterior of the windows and seem to do it well. Do a bit or research on them, look at and operate the units you are considering, try to weed out the extreme nay-sayers and decide based on your own criteria (cost, efficiency, environmental, and vendor support. Personally, I'd go with fiberglass and the most efficient glass I could afford but we all have different constraints. .
  • Yvonne Glas
    hace 8 años

Anderson 400 is the way to go! Marvin windows have too many problems - I know because I have Marvin Integrity windows.

• Guy Mic
    hace 8 años

I have Marvin Integrity, many of them, bought for an addition in 2011, roof siding work in 2013, and am buying them now for my entry level. I have had no problems.

• Yvonne Glas
    hace 8 años

Guy, do you have snow in the winter?

• Guy Mic
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Yes. Record snowfall here in Michigan 2 years ago. I have a mulled triple 7.5' wide window, mulled triple 6' wide window, 2 8x8 sliding glass doors, and 11 more regular windows.

• Yvonne Glas
    hace 8 años

Our windows were installed before winter rolled around. After the snow cleared, I noticed the cracking and peeling. The windows were defective and Marvin hired a company to repaint. The windows were removed, peeled, repainted, and reinstalled. It ruined the plastic drip edge at the top, so that's a concern for years down the road and water damage. There was etching in the upper left corner of the window - Marvin knows which ones are defective by what is etched in the upper left corner of the window. I'd hate to have you go through the experience that Birch Point and I went through, as well as others. I wish you the best of luck in your decision-making process.

• Guy Mic
    hace 8 años

Hmmm, mine still look as good as the day they were put in. Seals intact, no leaks. 2 separate purchases. Going on 3. I have Andersen 100 in a rental and they are doing great as well (sliders and casement). Fyi, BP's pay was a link to someone else's about grilles. Sounds like they are on the window versus in. I'm not all that surprised they break. Sorry you've had issues. Just providing input on my experience.

• ispoildogs
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Hi Yvonne, it's unfortunate you've had trouble with your windows, I can only imagine your disappointment after the expense! I'm curious, what style and material are they? I get snow too, and have 23 oversized slider, casement, awning, and picture windows, all Marvin Integrity, fiberglass ultrex inside and out, and haven't had any problems at all except for one lock that broke within the first year that has since been replaced.

• BirchPoint
    hace 8 años

The link that I posted starts out talking about a mullion issue but ended up with several folks chiming in about the finish failure issue.

• Yvonne Glas
    hace 8 años

ispoildogs, the windows are double-hung, Marvin from Integrity, composite on outside, wood on inside, upper right corner etching is CC-613, 17436220, NRC-272. In the link BirchPoint referenced, a person with two different types of windows, ultrex and composite, had paint-peeling trouble with both. People with both brown and white exterior paint had the same paint-peeling problem. There didn't seem to be a pattern to the problem other than the timeframe was similar. I wondered if perhaps the weather was a factor.

BirchPoint, what is etched in the upper right corner of your windows? I am wondering if the CC-613 is a type of date - like June 2013.

• Guy Mic
    hace 8 años

BP, I had just read Nikki's post. I see the other comments but it sounds like people painted the Windows. Mine are out of the box installs. 2 separate purchases, 15 windows. Still look the same. Perhaps I got lucky, perhaps other factors at work.

• Yvonne Glas
    hace 8 años

My husband said the person he spoke with at Marvin said the problem is with double hung only, not picture windows, etc. Exterior paint cracked and peeled on our double-hung windows, then Marvin sent a company to re-paint the windows. People aren't painting the windows themselves; Marvin sends a company to have the windows professionally re-painted. Guy Mic, if you don't mind looking, what is etched in the upper right corner of your window? I'm thinking that most likely this is date related - a batch of windows were not properly painted at the factory. When did you buy and install your windows?

• BirchPoint
    hace 8 años

Yvonne, I'll look for that etching in tomorrow's daylight.

The guys who worked on my windows said they have been doing this refinishing of Integrity windows for 5 years now, so it is not a new problem. They also said it had something to do with an oil film that leached out of the fiberglass and prevented the finish from adhering. I don't understand how their process circumvents that but he was full of assurances. Incidentally, they finished my windows last week but this weekend I found that they had reinstalled the screens and shut the windows before the paint had fully cured which marred the finish ----- so they are coming back next Wednesday!

Yvonne, they carry a picture of your house (on their smartphone) with the men standing on your sills with a message from Marvin saying NEVER to do that!

Guy Mic, I did not paint my windows. I purchased the Ebony exterior finish and they were installed "out of the box" as you say. The factory finish began cracking and peeling off prior to completion of construction.

• BirchPoint
    hace 8 años

I checked several of my windows this morning and they are etched with CC 614. I have had 24 windows repaired. Apparently my garage building windows were not affected with the problem. I was told they were a different kind of window, clad instead of painted. Also, I have one casement window in the bathroom that they say is not affected with the problem.

• Yvonne Glas
    hace 8 años

And all have the CC 614 - even the ones not affected?

• Yvonne Glas
    hace 8 años

I believe one guy said he'd been doing this for 8 years. Ugh . . .

• PRO
    Tab properties
    hace 7 años
    Well my Marvin Windows started rotting at the bottoms just after 10 years. Now the cost to replace (with labor) is given to me at $27,000 as the windows are "half price" I'm not sure what the savings here is. Ridiculous. Not worth the up charge to buy Marvin.
  • Yvonne Glas
    hace 7 años

I am so sorry!

• Adrian Fish
    hace 7 años

I had such a terrible experience wih Marvin and their authorized dealer J.F. Johnson Lumber, located in Millersville and Edgewater, MD, that if I could have a do over, I would go with Anderson.

• Lou G
    hace 7 años

I have a current quote for 24 Marvin ultimate insert windows for $37.5K installed.

Good deal?

• Adrian Fish
    hace 7 años

Like I said, my experience with Marvin and their authorized dealer J.F. Johnson Lumber was so bad, I would never use Marvin again. No matter what the price. They do not care about their customers. My architect uses Anderson windows and has been very happy.

• quasiexpert
    hace 7 años

Lou G,

There are too many variables to say good or bad deal just from hearing quantity and pricing.

Just fyi, every company has their detractors. So if you want to do Marvin and feel comfortable with it, go with that. I personally prefer Andersen by a long shot over all other brands for value and quality, but I won't pretend no one has ever been mad at them too.

• Adrian Fish
    hace 7 años

I will jump in. In my reaching out to professionals on my bad experience with Marvin, ALL of them prefer Anderson. They feel the quality is comparable and the prices are better. They were all very surprised by the response I got from Marvin and J.F. Johnson Lumber. One of them said "no one should have to go through that". Good luck with your project.

• quasiexpert
    hace 7 años

Ok, Adrian. You already jumped in twice, not really a surprise that you jump in the 3rd time.

• Adrian Fish
    hace 6 años

Marvin insn't replacing the defective windows free of charge, including installation?

• Adrian Fish
    hace 6 años
    Thanks for liking my post Rachelle! Hope my experience helps with your decision.
  • Lisa Kennedy
    hace 5 años

Adrian Fish- I would love to hear your details! I'm making this decision today and was going to use American Cedar and Millwork in Millersville. Was your trouble with the dealer or with Marvin? I have another home on the ocean and we built 7 years ago- had to replace NINE (9) Andersen windows last year that failed and it rained INSIDE within a year after installation and Andersen didn't cover the labor which cost me thousands.

• Adrian Fish
    hace 5 años

It was with both. Do not USE J.F. JOHNSON LUMBER!!! Horrible, horrible company. They told us they were experts in Marvin, so we let them measure the the windows. Measured every window wrong and then tried to blame it on my contractor who didn't measure the windows! Marvin then offered to RESELL ME THE WINDOWS. All around, bad experience. Did you use the high end Anderen windows? My architect thinks they are very good.

• Adrian Fish
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Level43 did you make your decision?

• PRO
    Tab properties
    hace 5 años

When I had mine replaced, the windows were half off and the installation was full cost- nothing off installation. So comparable to a 25% off sale.

• Usuario de Houzz-9532453283355126
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Following...I have 25 rotting Andersen 200 series windows to replace that are 30 years old. Not the best window choice for the rainy Northwest. Trying to decide between Andersen 400 and Marvin Integrity. Really don't like the look of the double hung Integrity and would like to switch some of my double hung windows out for casements if they are not too large. Like the look of the Andersen...any thoughts on the 400 series vs. the Integrity with regard to performance, longevity and pricing?

• Ryan
    hace 5 años

Sunrise triple pane with krypton game over!

• Adrian Fish
    hace 5 años

Go with Andersen! I had a very bad experience with Marvin and not recommend them.

• sarmarca
    hace 4 años

I can’t say enough bad things about Marvin Integrity. You pay for the Marvin brand name and you get a very sub par window. We have casement windows and they are very drafty. There’s condensation on the inside. Here’s a photo of our new windows in their first winter

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    hace 4 años

Relative humidity rates in the home? Its recommended that you remove the screens in the winter as well.

Are these new construction or what appear to be retrofit windows?

• Diego Smith
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Exactly! Humidity differences cause condensation, even good windows have low R value so

Drafts in new windows are most commonly poor installation. I've watched so many contractors not fill the voids with foam, miss spots, use fiberglass, or nothing at all.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.