houscom

Curious as to the upper and lower overhangs - what purpose? Thank you

houscom
hace 9 años
Great extension, works so well with existing home. Hope you have time to answer my question, having trouble nailing a small extension of kitchen dinning area and how much over hang to allow, will go up to a similar height as your top over hang. Initially I wanted a shallow overhang to make the area seem open and airy but now not sure this is particularly. practical. further out again planning a pergola but it will be open to the elements now wondering if I will bother. I expect yours give protection from elements and heat??
Rear Extension, Paddington · Más información

Comentarios (2)

• PRO
    Graham Anderson Architects Pty Ltd
    hace 9 años
    Hi houscom,
    it serves a few purposes.

The extension faces west, but there is also a view up and out to some nice trees. So wanted something to shield most of the sun, (low western sun not really an issue because the trees shield the low sun) - also something that frames/divides the two views, the lower view being the quite nice back garden, and the upper view being the more distant trees. Lastly, the lower roof also brings down the scale of that large external opening, and given the terrace is not huge, also provides a sense of definition to the edge of the space, rather than that large opening dominating the space.
    houscom agradeció a Graham Anderson Architects Pty Ltd
  • houscom
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks - all logical, keeps the area contained to feel comfortable in relation to the small backyard. We actually have a bit of room to play with in our back yard and our architect originally wanted to go up 9' above a standard ceiling height, I thought this would make for too much of a Monolithic effect, (and would not work well with existing 1990's home) so have brought it done to an 4.5' increase in height, though on paper its proving awkward coming off the existing pitched roof . . . . so project has come to a halt while we reassess.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.