Houzz Logo Print
quarterbean

What is the difference between ceramic and porcelin tile?

quarterbean
hace 9 años
I am trying to determine if I should be looking for ceramic or porcelain tile in my bathroom. The application is for shower and or backsplash. What are pros and cons for each material?

Comentarios (4)

• Curt D'Onofrio
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    My experience is ONLY with ceramic tile. If sub floor and/or ceramic tile not installed correctly it will crack. It may not happen today, nor this year, nor next year, but eventually it will crack when walked upon....unlike lineoleum floors, ceramic has no elastic/tensile properties and it reminds me of cast iron engine blocks...strong...but brittle
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 9 años
    Ceramic tile is not as wayter resistant it chips and leaves white showing where as porcelaine is more water resistant, has color all the way through and a much better chice for flooring it is worth the extra money .
  • lagwagonshow
    hace 9 años
    "Porcelain" simply means a vitreous ceramic tile - it doesn't absorb water vapor. Porcelain is much stronger and heavier than ceramic. If the tile is labeled "ceramic", it's not suitable for bathrooms or floors.

Go to a big box or tile distributor and check examples of both, side-by-side, you'll see the difference. I only use porcelain tiles, regardless of the application.
  • PRO
    American Tile & Sales Co
    hace 7 años

Porcelain tiles are a subset of ceramic tiles. Porcelain tiles have superior performance to non-porcelain ceramics in terms clay strength. Porcelain tiles are more dense so they absorb less water and have higher breaking strengths (they are fired at higher temperatures or pressed so there are denser). I would point out that the actual definition of what makes the body porcelain varies in the US and Europe and even between different testing firms, but mostly has to do with water absorption and thus density of the tile body.

Porcelains fall into two broad categories: through body and glazed. Through body porcelains have the color all the way through the body of the tile and as such do not have any glazing on the top to wear off. Glazed porcelains have the porcelain clay with a glazed top like most non-porcelain ceramic tiles.

There are hybrids of these. Some through body porcelains might have some glazing on the surface to add a color. There are some glazed porcelains which have the glazing fused to the body. I point that out only because there are a lot of ways to manufacture ceramic tiles.

Be careful as not all porcelain tiles are the same. Some porcelains have very high breaking strengths and others are barely above non-porcelain ceramics.

Consider the room it is going in and compare the details listed on the tile board (breaking strength, glaze strengths, etc). The industry has made it very easy to compare ceramic tiles by looking at these ratings.

While many manufacturers are switching to porcelain clay for their tile bodies, if you find a non-porcelain you like, in many cases it is just fine for home use. Just make sure it is rated for floor usage.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.